ADVERTISEMENT

Texas at Michigan

If the ACC ccg loser is top 10 going into ccg week, I wonder if they get dropped with a close loss?
Good question. I think the ACC might only get one team is if FSU wins the title game giving a second loss to Miami or Clemson. One of those teams could still get in with 2 losses but it wouldn't be a guarantee.

If Miami or Clemson win the title game they are probably in along with a 2 loss FSU team that would have won 3 of 4 vs Memphis, Clemson, Florida, & Notre Dame.

The key for PSU is to finish with no more than 2 losses.

Reactions: lazydave841
FSU, Clemson, Miami - they MIGHT, but it honestly depends on a lot of other things playing out a specific way. Entirely too much to list. The SEC only playing 8 conference games will benefit them as well and probably assures 4 SEC teams every year.

If the ACC ccg loser is top 10 going into ccg week, I wonder if they get dropped with a close loss?

Now a Louisville or a VaTech, they probably are going to have to win the conference to get in.
Leaders at Clemson and FSU probably will petition to be left out in hopes it helps them escape from the ACC

• Haha
Good question. I think the ACC might only get one team is if FSU wins the title game giving a second loss to Miami or Clemson. One of those teams could still get in with 2 losses but it wouldn't be a guarantee.

If Miami or Clemson win the title game they are probably in along with a 2 loss FSU team that would have won 3 of 4 vs Memphis, Clemson, Florida, & Notre Dame.

An undefeated FSU was left out. A two loss team has no shot

what is funny is how arbitrary the new system is. I can easily see a 3-loss SEC or B1G team being far better than a 1-loss ACC team. For example, last year, we lost to the #1 and probably #2 teams in the nation (Um and tOSU). We could have been in the top 4 but now way were getting into the playoffs with two losses. But, of course, you would expect the 3rd or worse team to lose to the best or second-best teams. ESPN, right now, has ND 8th, FSU 11th and Clemson 16. NDs only difficult games are FSU (11) and USC (25).

what is funny is how arbitrary the new system is. I can easily see a 3-loss SEC or B1G team being far better than a 1-loss ACC team. For example, last year, we lost to the #1 and probably #2 teams in the nation (Um and tOSU). We could have been in the top 4 but now way were getting into the playoffs with two losses. But, of course, you would expect the 3rd or worse team to lose to the best or second-best teams. ESPN, right now, has ND 8th, FSU 11th and Clemson 16. NDs only difficult games are FSU (11) and USC (25).
I think ND rides a 1 loss season to the playoffs, especially if they start the season ranked 8th. 2 losses would make things difficult for them if they don't have a top 10 win.

The argument is if a 10-2 FSU would get in ahead of a 9-3 PSU. I think they would because they would have had at least 2 quality wins.

Reactions: Obliviax
I think ND rides a 1 loss season to the playoffs, especially if they start the season ranked 8th. 2 losses would make things difficult for them if they don't have a top 10 win.

The argument is if a 10-2 FSU would get in ahead of a 9-3 PSU. I think they would because they would have had at least 2 quality wins.
they'll have to take into consideration SoS. I suspect they'll invite some lower level school that has caught the attention of the nation like Memphis, SMU, TCU or even Liberty. Other than that I see 4 from the strongest conference (B1G or SEC), 3 from the next best conference of those two. That is seven. They'll invite a no-name school and that is 8 leaving 2 for the ACC and/or other conferences.

You're reaching with the word quality using Miami and Memphis

they'll have to take into consideration SoS. I suspect they'll invite some lower level school that has caught the attention of the nation like Memphis, SMU, TCU or even Liberty. Other than that I see 4 from the strongest conference (B1G or SEC), 3 from the next best conference of those two. That is seven. They'll invite a no-name school and that is 8 leaving 2 for the ACC and/or other conferences.
And there is a real scenario out there where we end up with 2 losses but B10 #5 and miss the playoff. Really don't want more than one loss.

@ryoder1

SMU is ACC now. TCU is Big 12 still.

It doesn't have to be Liberty or Memphis, but a group of 5 team is getting in.

@ryoder1

SMU is ACC now. TCU is Big 12 still.

It doesn't have to be Liberty or Memphis, but a group of 5 team is getting in.
Yep I agree and believe it is a requirement.

If 5 conference champs get in and a group of 5 then that leaves 6. It perhaps could be filled by 3 additional teams from B10 and SEC but I have to believe another conference besides the B10 and SEC will get two in.

My contention is that OSU and Oregon are close to locks from the B10. Then it is a death match between us, Michigan and USC and either two or only one of the three get in. I think our USC game is a sort of elimination game from the playoffs. I realize we are not done if we lose but our chances of making it take a hit unless USC and Michigan both get 3 losses. I don't see that happening. USC does have ND at the end of the year but if they lose to them and get three losses that just means ND will go.

Yep I agree and believe it is a requirement.

If 5 conference champs get in and a group of 5 then that leaves 6. It perhaps could be filled by 3 additional teams from B10 and SEC but I have to believe another conference besides the B10 and SEC will get two in.

My contention is that OSU and Oregon are close to locks from the B10. Then it is a death match between us, Michigan and USC and either two or only one of the three get in. I think our USC game is a sort of elimination game from the playoffs. I realize we are not done if we lose but our chances of making it take a hit unless USC and Michigan both get 3 losses. I don't see that happening. USC does have ND at the end of the year but if they lose to them and get three losses that just means ND will go.
It's 5 conference champs INCLUDING a G5 team. 7 at large which probably 6 are Big Ten/SEC.

It's a Power 4 now. Pac has no auto bid. Big 10, SEC, ACC, Big 12, and the deemed worthy Gof5 champion. Still leaves 7.
ND has a good shot to make it. Their opener vs A&M is big. Their last game vs ND could be a play in game. The B10 will get 3 in probably if ND goes. Then the SEC gets 3. If ND does not get in then B10 could get 4.

ND has a good shot to make it. Their opener vs A&M is big. Their last game vs ND could be a play in game. The B10 will get 3 in probably if ND goes. Then the SEC gets 3. If ND does not get in then B10 could get 4.
So if ND gets in....that's 6 teams (ACC, Big, SEC, Big XII, G5 and ND)--where are the other schools coming from to fill 6 unless you think the SEC is getting 5?

So if ND gets in....that's 6 teams (ACC, Big, SEC, Big XII, G5 and ND)--where are the other schools coming from to fill 6 unless you think the SEC is getting 5?
4 conf champs, group of 5, ND. 6 left and 3 B10 at large so yeah B10 could get 4 counting conf champ, my bad on not counting the B10 conf champ. But from the remaining 6 maybe the SEC does get 4 for a total of 5. Let's see...UGA, Bama, Ole Miss, Tenn, Texas or Okie then perhaps A&M. That is 7 teams for 5 spots. Lots of options for the SEC to get 5.

4 conf champs, group of 5, ND. 6 left and 3 B10 at large so yeah B10 could get 4 counting conf champ, my bad on not counting the B10 conf champ. But from the remaining 6 maybe the SEC does get 4 for a total of 5. Let's see...UGA, Bama, Ole Miss, Tenn, Texas or Okie then perhaps A&M. That is 7 teams for 5 spots. Lots of options for the SEC to get 5.
This take I'm good with. The SEC and Big Ten will combine for 8 total teams most years. That could easily be a 5/3 split.

The AAC commissioner already is calling for 2 playoffs. Eventually that probably happens. The question is what playoff will the ACC and Big XII fall into. I wouldn't be shocked if the SEC/Big Ten have their own 12 team playoff.

This take I'm good with. The SEC and Big Ten will combine for 8 total teams most years. That could easily be a 5/3 split.

The AAC commissioner already is calling for 2 playoffs. Eventually that probably happens. The question is what playoff will the ACC and Big XII fall into. I wouldn't be shocked if the SEC/Big Ten have their own 12 team playoff.
From the B12 and ACC it does seem like stretch for either to get two in. Maybe Clemson and FSU get in? If Clemson somehow beats Georgia in the opener that sets them up well. Their other toughest game is FSU. In the B12, don't see them getting more than their conf champ in.

From the B12 and ACC it does seem like stretch for either to get two in. Maybe Clemson and FSU get in? If Clemson somehow beats Georgia in the opener that sets them up well. Their other toughest game is FSU. In the B12, don't see them getting more than their conf champ in.
Clemson isn't thought of how they used to be. Going to be very difficult for the ACC to get 2 teams unless the Big Ten or SEC look bad. Should be interesting though on how it plays out.

I'm a firm believer this is about money and keeping the NCAA alive. To do that, you keep the Big Ten and SEC happy. To hell with everyone else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT