ADVERTISEMENT

The Biggest Difference In Hack Then vs Now Isn't Coaching!

ILLINOISLION

May 29, 2001
Let's remember the number of plays that ARob made.....many of them bordering on the incredible.

Personally, I see the same Hack in 2013 + 2014 + 2015. Capable of greatness, capable of mediocrity, often in the same game. ARob was there for him two years ago.....unfortunately no one has begun to fill ARob's shoes last year or this year.....to take over a game when it's needed.

Let's remember the number of plays that ARob made.....many of them bordering on the incredible.

Personally, I see the same Hack in 2013 + 2014 + 2015. Capable of greatness, capable of mediocrity, often in the same game. ARob was there for him two years ago.....unfortunately no one has begun to fill ARob's shoes last year or this year.....to take over a game when it's needed.

Agree about Arobb but not about coaching. The OL was also better. You need time to find ARob. That is why we need Juwan Johnson in the game. Donovan would not get arobb open. He would have him bunched with other WRs and was draw additional DBs into the area.

Donovan is not a good coach. He does not use the whole field and it makes it tougher for WRs to get open.

It's more than ARob, though he was significant. Hack's stats:

SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT RAW QBR ADJ QBR
2015 25 52 231 48.1 4.44 38 1 1 10 87.9 16.5 16.9
2014 270 484 2977 55.8 6.15 79 12 15 44 109.4 31.8 37.3
2013 231 392 2955 58.9 7.54 68 20 10 21 134.0 56.6 58.3

Here are ARob's stats from 2013:

Year Team G Rush Yds Yd/Rush TDs Rec Yds Yd/Rec TDs

2013 PSU 12 6 36 6.0 0 97 1432 14.8 6

ARob accounted for 48% of Hack's yardage. I'd say a good OL and OB's coaching were just as important.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there is now a "book" on Hack as well. So far this year, in two games, he has never tried to run to his left. That includes roll outs and attempts to escape from a rush. Why is this important? The back side doesn't have to protect for a roll out so they can leave the edge unguarded once a pass play is committed to by the offense. As such, that puts a lot more pressure on the LT. we saw Temple repeatedly swim move to the left, P-Palmer's right, to get to Hack if he stepped up or to his right. That puts a LOT more pressure on the LT as they have to guard for a bull rush and and a outside hook, as well as a swim move to the inside.

I haven't seen Hack throw the ball away to avoid a sack either.

The staff didn't give hack much in terms of hot reads, it would appear, either. Most teams have a WR break off his route and flood the zone abandoned by a blitzing LBer. Hard to see on TV but I didn't see that. I also have not seen a LB or RB go there....you'll see other teams chip with a TE or RB, and then flood a zone.

Staff is giving Hack few options. But Hack is part of the problem too.

Reactions: BBrown

Agree. That comeback at Michigan was as much if not more Arob than anything.
Other thing I noticed (and this doesn't explain the Temple game) but Hack is not a bad weather QB.

Agree about Arobb but not about coaching. The OL was also better. You need time to find ARob. That is why we need Juwan Johnson in the game. Donovan would not get arobb open. He would have him bunched with other WRs and was draw additional DBs into the area.

Donovan is not a good coach. He does not use the whole field and it makes it tougher for WRs to get open.
Donovan was lucky he had Jordan Matthews at Vandy. He provided Donovan's horrible offense with a few bright spots.

Reactions: PSU1983PHAN

Hack had a better supporting cast plus OB's coaching in '13. But he's shown the same inconsistency in accuracy, touch, and decision making since he got here...even after a year under OB. Throw in the immobility/pocket presence issues and it's far from optimum. A helluva lot will have to change for him to be successful at the next level. JMO.

Hack over achieved in his freshman year setting impossible standards for himself. He had everything around him. A very good offensive line, a running game, one of if not the best receiver PSU has ever had. He didn't have to be spectacular all the time, the pressure wasn't on him at that point. Now pressure is on him with people expecting greatness. Now with a less than mediocre line, receivers dropping passes he actually has time to get off, no running game, and questionable coaching he isn't being put in a good place to succeed. He has made his fair share of mistakes also but the blame isn't on one person, it is on all of them, O'Brien (lack of recruiting), Franklin, Hand, Donovan, Hack, O-line, TE's, WR's, RB's all have a part to do with the offense being so horrible. Can't pin this all on one person

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT