ADVERTISEMENT

The Decline of the White Out

lionlover

Jul 8, 2001
I've been contemplating this event for a while and have arrived at the following conclusion: I don't think we will ever again reach the noise level we did when PSU beat O$U in 2005.

I do think the game will continue to be a tremendous visual spectacle, but I just can't see the stadium reach the volumes it used to because of its huge success. Here's why:
  • As season ticket holders reach advanced ages, they simply don't yell as long or loud as they did when they were younger
  • Too many Penn State season ticket holders are bringing too many "PSU fan guests" who are less vocal as they are like deer staring in the headlights watching the spectacle instead of participating in it.
  • Too many Penn State season ticketholders are bringing too many "Non PSU fan guests" who simply won't cheer at all for the PSU team
  • More Non PSU fans are making more of a financial effort to see this game. Obviously they won't be cheering for PSU
I would love to be proven wrong by someone who has recorded the noise level each year to compare the results. But, I just don't see it based on what I stated above.

Your thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News