ADVERTISEMENT

Think we could beat Indiana?

I am very interested in that Indiana game @ Ohio State next week. I think Indiana will score some points though OSU should win.
If they play like they did today and for most of this season, they’ll have a puncher’s chance. This IU team basically is the JMU team of the last few seasons, which won so many games; they’re not a bunch of underdogs.

I don't know about Indiana. I know that we would throttle NEB if we played them. I can't believe how bad they were today.

Reactions: bison13
I don't know about Indiana. I know that we would throttle NEB if we played them. I can't believe how bad they were today.
Yeah, that has to be one of their worst margins of defeat in their history. The more things change with that program, the more they stay the same. Also, their Mahomes wanna-be has taken some significant steps back since the beginning of the season.

If they play like they did today and for most of this season, they’ll have a puncher’s chance. This IU team basically is the JMU team of the last few seasons, which won so many games; they’re not a bunch of underdogs.
bcspsu,
Found this list of transfers from JMU

Staff members coming over from JMU:

• Bryant Haines - DC/LB Coach
  • Mike Shanahan - OC/WR Coach
  • Grant Cain - ST Coordinator/TE Coach
  • Pat Kuntz - DT Coach
  • John Miller - RB Coach
  • Tino Sunseri - Co-OC/QB Coach
  • Derek Owings - S&C Coach
  • Alex Higgins - O-Line/TE Quality Control
  • Chaz LaPoint - Grad Assistant (D-Line)
  • Francis Meehan - Grad Assistant (D-backs)
  • Reed Relosky - Grad Assistant (Wide Recievers)
  • Nate Adams - Assistant Athletic Performance Coach
Players transferring to IU from JMU:

• D'Angelo Ponds (CB - 3 star)
  • Solomon Vanhorse (RB - 3 star)
  • Tyrique Tucker (DL - 3 star)
  • Elijah Sarratt (WR - 4 star)
  • Tyler Stephens (IOL - 3 star)
  • Kaelon Black (RB - 3 star)
  • Nick Kidwell (IOL - 3 star)
  • Ty Son Lawton (RB - 3 star)
  • James Carpenter (DL - 3 star)
  • Jailin Walker (LB - 3 star)
  • Aiden Fisher (LB - 3 star)
  • Mikail Kamara (DL - 3 star)
  • Zach Horton (T - 3 star)

bcspsu,

• Pat Kuntz - DT Coach
  • John Miller - RB Coach

Cignetti ran off a significant number of Tom Allen's recruits indicating they didn't buy in. Cignetti is an excellent coach and seems to have a strong staff. Bringing in that many players from JMU gives them continuity allowing for a smoother transition.

It’s JMU lite at Indiana. A total of 27 transfer ins the most in the county. QB is from Ohio U, I think, but hurt his hand and may be out a few games.

Indiana is for real. They should win all their remaining games except OSU. They look like they will make the playoff at this point. Great coach who brought over a veteran core of JMU players who are playing great as a team.

Reactions: indynittany
It’s JMU lite at Indiana. A total of 27 transfer ins the most in the county. QB is from Ohio U, I think, but hurt his hand and may be out a few games.
He is not going to be "out a few games". He didn't break it. Some kind of thumbnail issue. Cignetti said he should be fine. Imagine that, a coach who gives a straight up answer about an injury.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Cignetti ran off a significant number of Tom Allen's recruits indicating they didn't buy in. Cignetti is an excellent coach and seems to have a strong staff. Bringing in that many players from JMU gives them continuity allowing for a smoother transition.
Here’s some context… The week Cig got to IU, 10 of 11 offensive starters and 6 from the D were in the portal from a not very good IU team. A few they didn’t want back due to being malcontents and lazy. A couple even committed elsewhere in December then wanted back in before 2nd semester. He basically said “no thanks, we want guys who truly want to be here, not guys who shopped around, didn’t find better offers so now you want to come back.”

The JMU guys, 13 in total, include 9 starters, were most underrated guys that their staff turned into winners there. They play with a collective chip on their shoulder and wanted to prove themselves at a higher level. Results have been great thus far.

Last edited:
Yes. Nebraska is imploding. Their young QB is suffering from expectations.

What is interesting is that they have a pretty soft schedule. Washington and Michigan to go along with tOSU. They could easily be a one loss team. Let’s say Ohio State win every last game and so do we (except tOSU)

That would leave the one loss teams. TOSU would go to the championship game. The playoff committee would have to choose between us and Indiana or put four B1G teams in the 12 team playoff.

With Alabama having two losses, they could be left out.

I can”t imagine Cignetti being at Indiana next year my guess is he be at Florida or FSU

Yes. They would beat us by two TDs. Seeing USC lose to Maryland and watching Illinois almost lose at home to Purdue, our resume is very weak. We don't look the part of a playoff team. Oregon, Ohio State and Indiana will represent the Big Ten in the playoff. I see us losing at Wisconsin, at Minnesota and getting blown out by Ohio State. If we had this year's offense with last year's defense we would have looked the part but our defense this year is suspect. 9-3 is our destiny.

Yes. They would beat us by two TDs. Seeing USC lose to Maryland and watching Illinois almost lose at home to Purdue, our resume is very weak. We don't look the part of a playoff team. Oregon, Ohio State and Indiana will represent the Big Ten in the playoff. I see us losing at Wisconsin, at Minnesota and getting blown out by Ohio State. If we had this year's offense with last year's defense we would have looked the part but our defense this year is suspect. 9-3 is our destiny.
You're reaching new levels of pessimism.

I’ve followed Cignetti for a while now. My nephew’s son played for him at IUP. I watched him play some games there. A couple of observations about Cignetti. I never saw him make a bad in-game decision. Or have confusion on the sideline. His teams play smart and are disciplined. And he is VERY good with transfers. Especially with transfer QB’s. Every spring at IUP Cignetti would bring in transfers from Division I that would help his team. He’s done that everywhere he’s been. The transfer portal has been a gold mine for him. He worked it very well at JMU and in his first year at IU he worked it like a master. For as long as he will be at Indiana University Cignetti will do well there if for no other reason than the portal. Plus he’s whip smart.

Last edited:
Yes. Nebraska is imploding. Their young QB is suffering from expectations.

What is interesting is that they have a pretty soft schedule. Washington and Michigan to go along with tOSU. They could easily be a one loss team. Let’s say Ohio State win every last game and so do we (except tOSU)

That would leave the one loss teams. TOSU would go to the championship game. The playoff committee would have to choose between us and Indiana or put four B1G teams in the 12 team playoff.

With Alabama having two losses, they could be left out.
If Bama wins out they're safely in with that Georgia win
4 Big Ten teams are a lock in that scenario
Again, the Big Ten and SEC will get 8 or 9 most years. The Big XII isn't getting 2. The ACC will need a 12-0 Miami to lose the CCG to get 2. ND has a loss to NIU and their only decent win would be A&M even if they beat the academies.

This scenario looks something like
1 Oregon
2 Georgia
3 Miami
4 Big XII winner
5 Penn State vs 12 Boise State
6 Texas (2 loss) vs 11 Indiana
7 Ohio State (2 loss) vs 10 Notre Dame
8 LSU (2 loss) vs 9 Bama (2 loss)
Lots of 2 loss teams will be in

IU’s lack of talent will eventually catch up to them. Yes, the final score was impressive, but did anyone think Nebraska was good?

They have a great coach and scheme but they’ll get blasted by PSU, OSU, Oregon, etc.

Reactions: doctornick
You must be fun at tailgates - and you are wrong - we beat Minny and Wisky easy - OSU is a toss up.

Oh good lord….and Indiana’s resume is so strong. Yeah, you’re a fan.

bcspsu,

• Pat Kuntz - DT Coach
  • John Miller - RB Coach

Wow

I’ve followed Cignetti for a while now. My nephew’s son played for him at IUP. I watched him play some games there. A couple of observations about Cignetti. I never saw him make a bad in-game decision. Or have confusion on the sideline. His teams play smart and are disciplined. And he is VERY good with transfers. Especially with transfer QB’s. Every spring at IUP Cignetti would bring in transfers from Division I that would help his team. He’s done that everywhere he’s been. The transfer portal has been a gold mine for him. He worked it very well at JMU and in his first year at IU he worked it like a master. For as long as he will be at Indiana University Cignetti will do well there if for no other reason than the portal. Plus he’s whip smart.
Move over Nick Saban. Geez.

The people that think our schedule lacks quality should look at Indiana's schedule
Our SOS is a pedestrian 70 but they're outside the top 100
Indiana is a lot like FSU last year or Army/Navy this year--but they get credit for beating the teams they should
They're just lucky to avoid Penn State, Oregon< Wisconsin, Iowa, USC and Illinois this year. Hopefully soon teams only play conference games.

Rourke apparently is likely out against Washington--that's a shame. Was hoping they'd be 11-1 and help create chaos but maybe they can win without him. Jackson didn't look too bad this week

Reactions: ncgolfer
Move over Nick Saban. Geez.
Speaking of Saban. Here’s a quote of him on Curt Cignetti who coached for Saban and was his recruiting coordinator….

“Curt came up in that environment, a coaches environment. He's very smart, bright. He was a receiver coach for us, but has a great offensive mind and is a really good quarterback coach."………..Nick Saban

I think Penn State and many majors across the country missed out on one of Western PA's homegrown up and coming coaches. vs recycling coaches with some or varying success at other majors...he might be worth whatever money IU is paying him for the sole responsibility of recruiting/portal coordinator at Penn State.

What does the forced mass exodus and influx of personnel say about his ability to recognize and coach talent (and performance)?...and that of his predecessor's (own current defensive coordinator)?

It.might be interesting to comparie it to the more publicized similar strategy that occurred last year in Colorado.

Is his strateg sustainable? We'll see, but I'm leaning more towards betting for than against him.

Reactions: ncgolfer

Also BBHorn86, during the PSU/USC game ...

Same crap every freakin season! No wonder we have no respect nationally... Playoffs are you kidding me! This team loses at least 3 including today. Franklin is once again outclassed!

Nostradamus you are not.

What does the forced mass exodus and influx of personnel say about his ability to recognize and coach talent (and performance)?...and that of his predecessor's (own current defensive coordinator)?

It's probably smart to get rid of a lot of a roster that wasn't winning if they don't buy in to your new shtick. To bring in the amount of players he did from JMU, a similar number had to go. That's just common math.

Veiled shot at Allen not withstanding, let's see how this season plays out. I'm not arguing that he isn't a better HC, but I don't see how pissing on Allen illustrates that better other than he's our DC so let's take our shots when we can?

Reactions: bison13
Who exactly are you rating as Indiana's quality wins, Nebraska? I'm not a kool aid PSU fan, and I am also not a sky is falling PSU fan. USC , losing to Maryland, moved nothing for me. Traveling all that way, after an emotional loss and when all your playing for is practically gone, what did you expect from them? Wisconsin is an ok team and very well could beat us, but watching their gane against NW, everyone looked slow, I really think our speed will be the factor, especially when you add in the talent of the teams, look at USC and Alabama vs the Badgers. Minnesota is another one of those teams that could beat you and is capable. Again it's hard to gage a home win against USC and Michigan is not a great marker. OSU , to me is the only team that can out right beat us that we play. Everyone else in my opinion we should beat, unless we beat ourselves. Again just my honest take.

Last edited:
Could - Yes
Should - Yes
Would - 65%
This. We out talent them and would be favored to win, even on the road. Would it be a shock if Indiana would win? Absolutely not because things happen with penalties, injuries, turnovers, etc that can lead to a competitive but “weaker” team winning

Reactions: Paguy35
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT