ADVERTISEMENT

Think we could beat Indiana?

I’ve followed Cignetti for a while now. My nephew’s son played for him at IUP. I watched him play some games there. A couple of observations about Cignetti. I never saw him make a bad in-game decision. Or have confusion on the sideline. His teams play smart and are disciplined. And he is VERY good with transfers. Especially with transfer QB’s. Every spring at IUP Cignetti would bring in transfers from Division I that would help his team. He’s done that everywhere he’s been. The transfer portal has been a gold mine for him. He worked it very well at JMU and in his first year at IU he worked it like a master. For as long as he will be at Indiana University Cignetti will do well there if for no other reason than the portal. Plus he’s whip smart.
Cignetti is from Pittsburgh originally?
What high school, do you happen to know?

If Bama wins out they're safely in with that Georgia win
4 Big Ten teams are a lock in that scenario
Again, the Big Ten and SEC will get 8 or 9 most years. The Big XII isn't getting 2. The ACC will need a 12-0 Miami to lose the CCG to get 2. ND has a loss to NIU and their only decent win would be A&M even if they beat the academies.

This scenario looks something like
1 Oregon
2 Georgia
3 Miami
4 Big XII winner
5 Penn State vs 12 Boise State
6 Texas (2 loss) vs 11 Indiana
7 Ohio State (2 loss) vs 10 Notre Dame
8 LSU (2 loss) vs 9 Bama (2 loss)
Lots of 2 loss teams will be in
Amazingly, no southern teams playing north in that scenario.

Cignetti is from Pittsburgh originally?
What high school, do you happen to know?
I’m not really sure. His father (Frank Sr) started his coaching career at Leechburg High School near Pittsburgh. Perhaps that is where Curt played his high school football. His younger brother (Frank Jr) attended high school in Indiana, Pa where his father was a coach as well.

Reactions: royboy
Yes. They would beat us by two TDs. Seeing USC lose to Maryland and watching Illinois almost lose at home to Purdue, our resume is very weak. We don't look the part of a playoff team. Oregon, Ohio State and Indiana will represent the Big Ten in the playoff. I see us losing at Wisconsin, at Minnesota and getting blown out by Ohio State. If we had this year's offense with last year's defense we would have looked the part but our defense this year is suspect. 9-3 is our destiny.
I simply disagree 🤷

I should add that many variables factor into how good a team actually is.

Reactions: Paguy35
You're reaching new levels of pessimism.
Yeah this is a ridiculous post. C'mon get a grip. Indiana could very well beat us but your negativity is absolutely insane. So how are Wisky and Minny beating us? I guess their offensive juggernaut machines will just steamroll our pathetic defense.

Yes. They would beat us by two TDs. Seeing USC lose to Maryland and watching Illinois almost lose at home to Purdue, our resume is very weak. We don't look the part of a playoff team. Oregon, Ohio State and Indiana will represent the Big Ten in the playoff. I see us losing at Wisconsin, at Minnesota and getting blown out by Ohio State. If we had this year's offense with last year's defense we would have looked the part but our defense this year is suspect. 9-3 is our destiny.
Wow, someone who actually believes the transitive property is real in college football. Lmao.

Reactions: LandoComando
Apparently Indiana's QB got hurt this past w/e and is out indefinitely. Indiana hasn't played a ranked team yet and is entering the hardest portion of their schedule... not a good time to lose your starting QB.

Apparently Indiana's QB got hurt this past w/e and is out indefinitely. Indiana hasn't played a ranked team yet and is entering the hardest portion of their schedule... not a good time to lose your starting QB.
It’s a terrible time to lose him. But the times I’ve seen their back up QB (Jackson) play I’ve been impressed. I watched Indiana’s spring game and I thought Jackson out played their starter Rourke. But Cignetti values past production a lot and Rourke has had a lot of it. I am very interested to see Jackson start against Washington. It may well determine whether Cignetti thinks he needs to go the portal route or not for a starter in the future.

Indiana is for real. They should win all their remaining games except OSU. They look like they will make the playoff at this point. Great coach who brought over a veteran core of JMU players who are playing great as a team.
Mercenaries!

It’s a terrible time to lose him. But the times I’ve seen their back up QB (Jackson) play I’ve been impressed. I watched Indiana’s spring game and I thought Jackson out played their starter Rourke. But Cignetti values past production a lot and Rourke has had a lot of it. I am very interested to see Jackson start against Washington. It may well determine whether Cignetti thinks he’s needs to go the portal route or not for a starter in the future.
Jackson was not good last year. I guess he played well in the 2nd half vs Nebraska but what I don't know about that performance is whether it was more a function of significant improvement or Nebraska had thrown in the towel at that point. Cignetti is a good coach so I will be interested to see how much he has coached up Jackson. Like I said he was poor last year. Who was Indiana's coach again last year? Right, what happened to him? Just keep Allen on the defensive side of the ball, he has more than enough to focus on there.

Indiana has gotten a lot of breaks on their schedule. Yes, they have to go to OSU but their other B10 road games are UCLA, NW and MSU. Not exactly a brutal stretch.

With Rourke out it now makes this Washington game on Sat and this Michigan game more interesting.

Reactions: ncgolfer
Agreed, and sometimes a team ( Nebraska) looks bad because the other team makes them look bad. Credit to Indy for that.
I'll be able to judge better after I see how badly OSU beats Nebraska this week. Nebraska came into the IU game with a very good defense statistically, but we all know that statistics often are misleading. Like with most things, their performance against IU probably was a combination of IU just having a once in a generation offense and Nebraska just being totally overrated. Based on IU's offensive output in basically every game this season, when healthy, they probably would be able to score in the 20s even against OSU, especially after I saw Oregon pass all over them.

Also regarding Nebraska, Raiola's performance has fallen off of a cliff in recent weeks, so their offense posed no issues for IU and never had any chance to maybe take them out of their game plan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT