ADVERTISEMENT

Those going to WV game

Agree, expect them to maybe hear foul language and such, but no reason they can’t attend games , Christ 12 or 13 to attend a game? lol
Let's be honest, most younger kids don't even have the attention span for a game. Let's consider a Penn State game. For most people, that either consists of a long drive on game day or a night or two in Happy Valley. You're talking about tailgating (no necessarily drinking) before and/or after. There's definitely younger kids that can do it and as long as people don't then complain about their kids seeing fighting or foul language take them.

WVU fan here.

I'm 48, so I have many memories of the WVU-Penn State games of the 80s and early 90s. There were some great ones. I was at the '87 game in Happy Valley, Major Harris's freshman season, when we had an "illegal man downfield" on a 40-yard pass play to your 5-yard line on a 3rd and 9, with WVU leading 21-10 in the early fourth quarter. That call still ticks me off. We ended up losing 25-21. I was there for the WVU victories in '84 and '88.

All that said, WVU fans have a lot of healthy respect for the Penn State football team. PSU has obviously had their way with WVU and the rest of the Eastern football rivals over the years.

Because you are not Pitt, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with how well you'll be treated on August 31. Our fans are yearning for eastern/regional rivalry games anymore, as we often are playing teams from Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and that area of the country. Don't get me wrong -- we're happy to be in the Big 12, but that familiarity and sense of rivalry just isn't there when we play Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Baylor and Kansas State, et al. But, we are happy to see Virginia Tech, Pitt and Penn State back on the schedule.

If you are going, try to get there early and walk through the Light Blue Lot and Blue Lot. It's an experience. There will be many grills lit, many wild game meats being smoked and cooked, and plenty of home brew moonshine. And lots of pepperoni rolls, a West Virginia staple. If you cut through, you'll be offered moonshine, beer, and pepperoni rolls. Our fans will want to bend your ear about our "rivalry" and how glad we are that you're back on the schedule. We have our share of knucklehead fans, many of which are from New Jersey & New York, who will throw a "Joe Knew" or something similar your way. But, that's about it. Honestly, we're just fired up for our football team in 2024 -- our fans think this is going to be a very good WVU football team. The House will be packed for the noon kick, and it's going to be a hell of an atmosphere.

And -- please feel free to chime in during the WVU Rendition of Sweet Caroline to start the fourth quarter. We made up our own lyrics, but I think you'll be able to catch on quick....

WVU fan here.

I'm 48, so I have many memories of the WVU-Penn State games of the 80s and early 90s. There were some great ones. I was at the '87 game in Happy Valley, Major Harris's freshman season, when we had an "illegal man downfield" on a 40-yard pass play to your 5-yard line on a 3rd and 9, with WVU leading 21-10 in the early fourth quarter. That call still ticks me off. We ended up losing 25-21. I was there for the WVU victories in '84 and '88.

All that said, WVU fans have a lot of healthy respect for the Penn State football team. PSU has obviously had their way with WVU and the rest of the Eastern football rivals over the years.

Because you are not Pitt, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with how well you'll be treated on August 31. Our fans are yearning for eastern/regional rivalry games anymore, as we often are playing teams from Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and that area of the country. Don't get me wrong -- we're happy to be in the Big 12, but that familiarity and sense of rivalry just isn't there when we play Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Baylor and Kansas State, et al. But, we are happy to see Virginia Tech, Pitt and Penn State back on the schedule.

If you are going, try to get there early and walk through the Light Blue Lot and Blue Lot. It's an experience. There will be many grills lit, many wild game meats being smoked and cooked, and plenty of home brew moonshine. And lots of pepperoni rolls, a West Virginia staple. If you cut through, you'll be offered moonshine, beer, and pepperoni rolls. Our fans will want to bend your ear about our "rivalry" and how glad we are that you're back on the schedule. We have our share of knucklehead fans, many of which are from New Jersey & New York, who will throw a "Joe Knew" or something similar your way. But, that's about it. Honestly, we're just fired up for our football team in 2024 -- our fans think this is going to be a very good WVU football team. The House will be packed for the noon kick, and it's going to be a hell of an atmosphere.

And -- please feel free to chime in during the WVU Rendition of Sweet Caroline to start the fourth quarter. We made up our own lyrics, but I think you'll be able to catch on quick....
Great post. Thanks for visiting.

As for wild meats….. will RFK Jr be there roasting a fresh road killed bear?

Would love to play WVU fairly often. Fun playing old rivals with over lapping recruiting and fan base areas. And being within driving distance of both makes it more fun.

The WVU writers and fans are convinced that the team is much improved. A year ago it seemed like the last year for head coach. Now he is given high praise by the press. Hope he has a long run and is not bought of by the big boys in the future .

Should be a great game. Certainly an exciting game to open the season on national tv.

Great post. Thanks for visiting.

As for wild meats….. will RFK Jr be there roasting a fresh road killed bear?

Would love to play WVU fairly often. Fun playing old rivals with over lapping recruiting and fan base areas. And being within driving distance of both makes it more fun.

The WVU writers and fans are convinced that the team is much improved. A year ago it seemed like the last year for head coach. Now he is given high praise by the press. Hope he has a long run and is not bought of by the big boys in the future .

Should be a great game. Certainly an exciting game to open the season on national tv.
LOL - No bear, and RFK Jr. won't be 1000 miles near Morgantown (Although his wife, Hollywood actress Cheryl Hines did attend WVU). But you'll see venison. Plenty of venison - smoked venison, venison tenderloin, vension jerky, you name it. And some wild boar.

If you are in the Light Blue Lot, I'll be throwing a combined WVU/PSU tailgate, as I currently live in No.Va. and have plenty of Penn State friends here in the area. They treated us well in Happy Valley last year, and we're returning the favor this year. And, a certain former PSU starting QB will be in attendance...

I attended The Backrard Brawl in maybe 86 or 87 in Oakland w a crew of Pitt fraternity brothers. As a naive PSU guy- they had me approach some WVU fans pregaming in CJ Barneys and ask them "What's a Hoopie?"

I learned pretty quickly but when I explained that I went to PSU and was punked they became friendly. Major Harris ran Pitt into the ground that afternoon and back to CJ Barneys we went for a WVU victory party unlike many I've seen. Great fun- hoping that everyone enjoys and saves hate for Pitt.

FWIW my worst experiences were mostly when I was early 20s so I might've deserved the grief I got:

1) Had a beer dunked on my head at Syracuse after OJ McDuffie returned a punt for a td

2) would've been disemboweled by an unemployed steelworker Wal Mart Pitt fan who me and my girlfriend sat next to in 87 game in Oakland. Her dad had played at Pitt but our seats we separated from the family. Dude went to bathroom and we scrammed just before Pitt returned a Matt Kizner pass for a pick 6 to win 10-0 when it appeared we would score a late td to win. We could see the guy looking around for us....psycho.

3) Wore a PSU hat to the ND pep rally. We had been in Lou Holtzes office and attended ND practice that afternoon. It was my senior year and we were guests of the ND QB Club President who put up with me. At the rally some guy tried to fight me. My old man was a 6'5 235 lb ex Marine. We split before things got weirder....

I had a GREAT time at OSU but was a guest of alums. Went to Hineygate with 3 women friends. Unreal fun. Hang on Sloopy!

Went to game at RU 2 years ago with my wife- who is Rutgers alum- my son and wife's cousin's all RU. I wore a PSU jersey- but was not hassled even once.

If anything- some of our fans- mostly younger drunks- were being bad. I had to politely ask a few to settle down before they would be asked to leave (best case) or eat their teeth (if they kept yapping).

By far the worst treatment ever was losing to Temple at The Linc the game before Saquon broke out. Aggressive and mean from the lines for the porta johns tailgating through start of the game. When the rout was on- Sackenberg Day- it was not worth staying. I was overserved but with a Police Officer. We left and were catcalled all the way to our truck.

I'm liking the tv more and more....

Good memories, but I feel ya about the TV. Best seat in the house.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Points made well taken. Maybe I’m living in the past. Or maybe it was the mature WVU fans at our game last year in the club section that I had to threaten with getting kicked out if they didn’t keep yelling, yelling, things like F Penn state.

All I can add was that I was there when WVU finally beat PSU in the early 80's after 27 years. It was utter insanity.

I would proceed with caution as you originally suggested.

All I can add was that I was there when WVU finally beat PSU in the early 80's after 27 years. It was utter insanity.

I would proceed with caution as you originally suggested.
You mean this game? Insanity, naaahhhh...just another day in Morgantown.
Finally_Main.jpg

There have not been major issues in a decade or more. That generation is in their 50s now.

1984............ 40 years ago. I think they hauled those goal posts clear across campus.
Couldn't control the crowd. Before time expired Joe just went over and shook Nehlen's hand then pulled the team into the lockeroom after it was apparent they had no ability to control the frenzied crowd.

Couldn't control the crowd. Before time expired Joe just went over and shook Nehlen's hand then pulled the team into the lockeroom after it was apparent they had no ability to control the frenzied crowd.

I actually looked it up after my original post. That was indeed the case. 39 seconds were run off. Insanity.

I went up to Sunnyside to take it all in. lol... The fire company opened a hydrant on the top of the hill so the water could flow down and manage the several couch fires. About 20 seconds after they opened the hydrant, people started to jump into it... The pressure was so high that people were getting slammed into the wall across the street. It was crazy.

• Haha
Reactions: The Spin Meister
WVU fan here.

Major Harris was one of the greatest college football players I've ever seen....completely indefensible with his arm and legs. I wish we would play WVU every year. I too, watched those games in the 80s at the Beav ..friggin Major Harris, could never stop that guy.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Major Harris was one of the greatest college football players I've ever seen....completely indefensible with his arm and legs. I wish we would play WVU every year. I too, watched those games in the 80s at the Beav ..friggin Major Harris, could never stop that guy.
Major was really something special. He did things in games that I still have not seen to this day. Michael Vick was the closest thing I've seen to him.

Here is the 1987 play I referred to, "illegal man downfield"...it just killed us.

Major was really something special. He did things in games that I still have not seen to this day. Michael Vick was the closest thing I've seen to him.

Here is the 1987 play I referred to, "illegal man downfield"...it just killed us.
One helluva effort. But one can understand how someone got got downfield on a scramble like.

Reactions: lazydave841
In '84 when they beat us for the first time in like forever all their fans rushed the field before the game was over. Joe saw the refs, security, etc had no control of the situation and just said eff this we are headed home. But of course he congratulated Nehlen first as he was always such a class act.
As classy as any mafia boss can be, if you don't mined rape, murder and pedophilias'.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT