ADVERTISEMENT

Time to get real about this year.

We let tOSU and MSU hang around too long, and paid for it. The missed field goal came back to haunt us as predicted.

Not taking the FG when we had it also cost us. But, against OSU, I'd argue Sanders' fumble was the beginning of the end. We hold on and finish that drive before the half (maybe score, maybe not), OSU goes to the locker room scoreless. Instead, they had all the momentum. We were in Haskins' head and until then, had it in the bag.

I agree - I think - that the largest FUBAR is the PSU pass game.

McS Injury? Surely he played some games this year while being "banged up" (as he also did in 2016/17)

But was that the sole - or even primary - issue?
IDK..... but not unless he was injured since August.

His entire season was a huge dropoff….. from Game 1 through Game 12.

McS's efficiency ratings the previous two years - 2016 and 2017 - were 157 and 154. For the entire seasons.
Throughout the entire 2018 season, he had ONE GAME (against crappy Illinois) were his numbers were even above average compared to the numbers he put up for full seasons in 2016/2017.
And even that game (Illinois) he wasn't that much "above average".

His output in 2018 - from Game 1 on - went from what had been consistently "Top 20" in the nation...… down to barely in the Top 100...
To put it into perspective: From Trevor Lawrence output, to Deondre Francois output :confused:.
There were only 14 P5 QBs with worse output than McS….. even through the first 1/2 of the season.

Dropped passes? Sure. And that was DEFINITELY a problem (IMO).
But even if you add back in every drop - - - - - and recalculate as if no PSU receiver dropped a single pass all season - - - - the passing numbers are "meh".

To correct a problem, one must first honestly evaluate and identify the problem.
I hope CJF can and will do that.

I see what you're getting at, and agree, but the injury, and drops, I think took away Trace's ability to make plays with his feet. He noticeably limped in the past few games when finishing runs.

The thing about drops on third down is that it takes away further passing opportunities in a drive, thus driving down overall passing numbers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT