Today, my vote was SUPPRESSED

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
Went to vote today in a contested state.

No voter ID required.
Just gave my address and they sent me to a line for my district.
Waited for 10 minutes, then they asked my name. Nothing comes up in their system.
Then they asked my address. Address comes up, but name does not.
So then they ask my birthday, but once again name doesn't come up.
They kind of shrug like they're not sure what to say.

I pull out my "voter transfer" verification which shows my name, address and voting location.
They look at it and say "you're still not in the system."
I say, "so you're telling me this voter transfer verification is worthless?"
They said, "yes, this has been happening all day."
I said, "So what am I supposed to do, am I not allowed to vote today?"
They suggested I call the Board of Elections and see if I can get my "voter registration number."
I said I don't have their phone number handy, can you please provide it.
They went back to some directory and wrote down a phone number.

I called the number, waited through a bunch of prompts and got to speak with a person.
Explained everything above and asked for my voter registration number, which they easily provided.
The woman on the phone said it's strange that my name wasn't coming up at the voting location because they had all my information available on their end.
She actually asked me why my name wasn't coming up over there. I said, "I have no idea but they said it's been happening all day." She sounded mystified.

So then I went back to the voter volunteers with my "voter registration number."
They entered it into their system and once again they can't find my records.
They asked if I'd be willing go through the process of filling out an affidavit to record my vote. I said yes.

So in front of a growing line, I had to spell out my name, address, ANNOUNCE MY PARTY AFFILIATION, etc.
I asked, "Will my ballot still be counted with all the other votes?"
They said it will be sent to a different location than the others but it will still be counted tonight.

Long story short, I filled out this long and inconvenient affidavit, voted straight-ticket RED and dropped everything in a special envelope to be shipped off to some special location.

In conclusion, they tried to SUPPRESS MY VOTE but I persevered in the name of saving this state by voting RED - and thereby "DESTROYING DEMOCRACY."

Last edited:

bison13

Dec 22, 2007

No voter ID required.
Waited for 10 minutes, then they asked my name. Nothing comes up in their system.
I pull out my "voter transfer" verification which shows my name, address and voting location.
They suggested I call the Board of Elections and see if I can get my "voter registration number."
I called the number, waited through a bunch of prompts and got to speak with a person.
Explained everything above and asked for my voter registration number, which they easily provided.
The woman on the phone said it's strange that my name wasn't coming up at the voting location because they had all my information available on their end.
She actually asked me why my name wasn't coming up over there. I said, "I have no idea but they said it's been happening all day." She sounded mystified.
So then I went back to the voter volunteers with my "voter registration number."
They said they'll have to file an affidavit with my ballot.
So in front of a growing line, I had to spell out my name, address, ANNOUNCE MY PARTY AFFILIATION, etc.
They said it will be sent to a different location than the others but it will still be counted tonight.
Long story short, I filled out this long and inconvenient affidavit, voted straight-ticket RED and dropped everything in a special envelope to shipped off to some special location.

In any event, they tried to SUPPRESS MY VOTE but I persevered in the name of saving this state by voting RED - thereby "DESTROYING DEMOCRACY."
I bet if you had a ‘d’ by your name it would have been smooth sailing though

LafayetteBear

Dec 1, 2009

No voter ID required.
They said they'll have to file an affidavit with my ballot.
Long story short, I filled out this long and inconvenient affidavit, voted straight-ticket RED and dropped everything in a special envelope to shipped off to some special location.

In any event, they tried to SUPPRESS MY VOTE but I persevered in the name of saving this state by voting RED - thereby "DESTROYING DEMOCRACY."
Chi: It's a shame that happened to you. It should not have happened. But now you have a sense of how the thousands of disenfranchised absentee ballot voters in Cobb County (and throughout Georgia) feel.

• Haha
Reactions: bison13

bdgan

May 29, 2008
Chi: It's a shame that happened to you. It should not have happened. But now you have a sense of how the thousands of disenfranchised absentee ballot voters in Cobb County (and throughout Georgia) feel.
My registration was deactivated for some unknown reason. I didn't get a registration number but I did complete an affidavit and put my ballot in a special envelope.

I was told that my vote would count. It seems to me that it should have been provisional pending some sort of review. I asked how I would know if this error was corrected. I was told to call the board of elections in January after the election.

• Angry
Reactions: ChiTownLion

bison13

Dec 22, 2007
Friends in western New York that voted in person were given markers and not pens to vote with. Seems that those who have an r by their name were given the marker which won’t read correctly in the machine while those with a D by their name or given a pen

LafayetteBear

Dec 1, 2009
My registration was deactivated for some unknown reason. I didn't get a registration number but I did complete an affidavit and put my ballot in a special envelope.

I was told that my vote would count. It seems to me that it should have been provisional pending some sort of review. I asked how I would know if this error was corrected. I was told to call the board of elections in January after the election.
I'm glad they accepted your ballot notwithstanding the snafu on your registration number. Those things are gonna happen in every election, but it start to looks ominous when it happens on a wholesale basis. My guess is that every state has a procedure for accepting provisional ballots and counting them if, after review, the voter's registration is legit. I think this procedure should provide you with some kind of receipt with which you can track the handling of your ballot to make sure it was ultimately counted.

pioneerlion83

May 29, 2001
SouthernMD, by way of NJ and PSU
Good for you that you hung in there to vote, and that they took your provisional ballot. IMHO it will count.

Shit happens for whatever reason(s). The important thing is that election officials should always work to overcome SNAFUs, accept a ballot, make it count after provisional review, and always work to allow people like you or anyone in any state, to vote.

Reactions: LafayetteBear

LafayetteBear

Dec 1, 2009
Friends in western New York that voted in person were given markers and not pens to vote with. Seems that those who have an r by their name were given the marker which won’t read correctly in the machine while those with a D by their name or given a pen
We use markers out here in California, and they scanned just fine. Yesterday was the first time in many elections that my ballot was not scanned in my presence, but my ballot was nevertheless comprised of computer paper that is scannable. I assume that it was scanned elsewhere. I would prefer that it be done in my presence, and am going to inquire about that.

Hotshoe

Feb 15, 2012
Just how pathetic are you? Georgia had virtually no problems. Coming from the same ignorant fool that specifically stated the new laws were racist. Georgia was smooth sailing and had all results in on time. A massive early voting turnout with no problems. What an ignorant tool you are.