ADVERTISEMENT

Todd blackledge

Todd is one of the best in the business and that isn’t in dispute. He is entitled to his opinion. Kind of ridiculous how some folks react to anyone who dares question anything PSU does. But then again what has Todd ever done at Penn State. It’s not like he signed up for a free message board account or anything.

If PSU does not play Tommy at all this year and claims he has been injured, could Tommy get another red-shirt, and, therefore, have two seasons of eligibility?

No. You are eligible for one redshirt year, and he’s already used it. The only way is if he had a medical redshirt, and applies to the NCAA for a sixth year of eligibility. Since he doesn’t go to Michigan, they wouldn’t approve it anyway.

Reactions: colt21
I realize Narduzzi may have deserved having the score run up on him, but the players on Pitt's team do not. As a coach, I have had that opportunity to do that to many coaches who deserved it, but never did.
I know. It stands in sharp contrast to most of our notions of fair play. But like some other commenters in this thread I think part of the reason was purely strategic in infusing his young player and team with his value system. When they scored big in a game last year, for example, like Maryland I don't recall any pouring it on issues. So something specific was going on here - just like in the Georgia State game. My only question is he ready to have it done to him (again) when the tables are turned? He's made it clear after GA State as to his teaching moment perspective, so I'm sure he's willing to carry the risk and weight of his decision.

Here's another angle: If I'm a third stringer for Pitt, and I'm on the field for what might be one of the few times in my career, I want to COMPETE. It would be deflating to get that opportunity only to have the opponent lie down.

Maybe we should send the Pitt Players a Participation Medal.

Geeze, this is prime time college football. This is a good lesson for the Pitt Players also. Adversity will make them stronger.

Look what being embarrassed by Michigan in 2016 and by Michigan State in 2015 did to our players and program. Life isn't all rainbows and cupcakes.

We can agree to disagree. Nothing you guys are saying will affect my stance. I believe in the warrior's code to treat your opponents with respect regardless of what they would do for you. I don't believe in participation trophies. If you played for me you would know that. As for the Michigan and Michigan St comment, all the more reason not to do it. Glad you figured that out on your own.

Reactions: Erial_Lion
Clifford is in reality the 3rd team QB. I have no problem with him throwing. It is Pitts job to stop him. I did think the fumble challenge was questionable.
That being said....it none of Todd's business. He's there to call the game, not make moral judgements. He had an opportunity to speak out on something 7 years ago............
Exactly. And look at the scores across the country. Hell Urban Liar has been running it up on teams forever and guys like Todd never said boo. Only we have to fall over on the ground.

We can agree to disagree. Nothing you guys are saying will affect my stance. I believe in the warrior's code to treat your opponents with respect regardless of what they would do for you. I don't believe in participation trophies. If you played for me you would know that. As for the Michigan and Michigan St comment, all the more reason not to do it. Glad you figured that out on your own.
Lol

No. You are eligible for one redshirt year, and he’s already used it. The only way is if he had a medical redshirt, and applies to the NCAA for a sixth year of eligibility. Since he doesn’t go to Michigan, they wouldn’t approve it anyway.

I didn’t ask the question right. I do understand how you get that medical redshirt. So, theoretically, if he does not play at all this year, he could make that application, and gain that 6th year. Maybe the NCAA approves it but Delaney nixes it, however (sarcasm).

I'm not a fan or running up the score but ever since the so called "eye test" I have no problem with it. It's what CFB wants and seems to require.

Eight conferences with 8 winners feeding the playoff and RUTS won't be required.

Different era and outdated. It is a requirement to pass the "looks test" to make the playoff now. Being merciful to your opponent is an old school look that may have been what pollsters and fans wanted in the past, but it's not the look the playoff committee is interested in. No sense prioritizing something that isn't a priority for the people who decide whether or not you get the opportunity to be a champion.

Reactions: nittnee
Different era and outdated. It is a requirement to pass the "looks test" to make the playoff now. Being merciful to your opponent is an old school look that may have been what pollsters and fans wanted in the past, but it's not the look the playoff committee is interested in. No sense prioritizing something that isn't a priority for the people who decide whether or not you get the opportunity to be a champion.

If you say so. 44 to 6 passes anyone's look test. I know my opinion will be looked as outdated.

Clifford is in reality the 3rd team QB. I have no problem with him throwing. It is Pitts job to stop him. I did think the fumble challenge was questionable.
That being said....it none of Todd's business. He's there to call the game, not make moral judgements. He had an opportunity to speak out on something 7 years ago............

As a color analyst, he is there to make a moral judgment of what he sees on the field. I don’t have a problem saying that Franklin shouldn’t have done that. And like what another poster said I don’t want him to do that to Kent State or even most other teams.

But to Pitt, especially with how Douchie is over there. No problem whatsoever. If Pat wants to be treated with respect then he has to at least publicly show some respect to the other teams players / program. If Pat had been a decent average coach that publicly to the media doesn’t run down the other program / players then it most likely wouldn’t have happened.

I’d prefer they run it up vs a fiasco like Nebraska last season where you roll over and let a team make the final score look competitive.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
We lost to USC in the Rose Bowl , and Ohio St. last year because we took the pedal off the metal. As the poster above stated , in the Nebraska game last year, they weren't a threat at any time.
You can't have it both ways, poor sportsmanship by Nardo set the tone.

If PSU does not play Tommy at all this year and claims he has been injured, could Tommy get another red-shirt, and, therefore, have two seasons of eligibility?
I don't have the answer. The player has a window of 5 years to finish 4 seasons when the clock starts. There may be an exception in certain circumstances, but I don't know the conditions.

Call on Art, he'll probably be able to spoon feed the NCAA ruling

I know it was related to Pitt, but as a guy who grew up on the East Stroudsburg Univ. campus, I loved the story about Pickett's sister, the soccer player at ESU and her teammates getting her to the game. Blackledge showed his knowledge but building on the story talking about CJF playing there too and that Pry's dad Jim was his offensive coordinator. Good stuff. Also impressed that McDonough knew they are the Warriors.

Some good nat'l pub for ESU.

I know it was related to Pitt, but as a guy who grew up on the East Stroudsburg Univ. campus, I loved the story about Pickett's sister, the soccer player at ESU and her teammates getting her to the game. Blackledge showed his knowledge but building on the story talking about CJF playing there too and that Pry's dad Jim was his offensive coordinator. Good stuff. Also impressed that McDonough knew they are the Warriors.

Some good nat'l pub for ESU.

ESU. Where the men are men and the women are too. :D

(Told to me by someone who grew up in that town)

As long as backups are in I have absolutely no issue with teams continuing to execute a normal game plan. That's incredibly valuable practice time and game experience for those kids. Sacrificing that opportunity to be polite is foolish. I will agree that it's asinine and deplorable to leave starters in for the sake of padding stats(like I do when playing the NCAA video game lol) and running up the score, but I haven't really seen that from Franklin.

I realize Narduzzi may have deserved having the score run up on him, but the players on Pitt's team do not. As a coach, I have had that opportunity to do that to many coaches who deserved it, but never did.
Do you think Narduzzi would've cared that PSU players didn't deserve the score run up if the shoe was on the other foot? We have a bunch of new players on the team who need every single rep they can get to reach their goals this season. The 2nd team entered the game at some point and they still scored a TD. You can't fault a kid who will rarely see the field after the next game or two to want to showcase what he can do.

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle

Not questionable at all. He didn't want Slade credited with a fumble he didn't commit, considering he had one earlier. You don't want a guy getting a complex over things like that, so I think in that way, the decision to challenge the fumble (it wasn't a fumble) was the right one.

Reactions: bytir and nittnee
Clifford may start next year! Stevens is never healthy.

This world is tooo politically correct. If you were a player and worked your tail off all year, when you get in the game you would want a chance to show what you can do. Clifford might not get another chance this year to have a moment like that. He needs reps too to be ready if we need him. Grow some balls and be men. If Nardouche or anybody else doesn’t like it, oh well. Maybe they should find another job!!!

Do you think Narduzzi would've cared that PSU players didn't deserve the score run up if the shoe was on the other foot? We have a bunch of new players on the team who need every single rep they can get to reach their goals this season. The 2nd team entered the game at some point and they still scored a TD. You can't fault a kid who will rarely see the field after the next game or two to want to showcase what he can do.

I don't root for Pitt so I don't care what Narduzzi would do. I also would never fault a college player for that. I like JF and believe he is the perfect person for the job. I don't think throwing deep up 44 to 7 is the right thing to do. I have had the score run up on me before, and I tell my players and staff it is our job to stop them and not take it personally. But I also tell them I won't do it even to those who did it to us. You and Pennsy can have the last word on this if you want. I am out on this.

The backups work just as hard as the starters do in practice, weight room, etc. so when they are put in they should get the opportunity to perform. If I’m the backup QB and get in and hand off 10 straight times what good does that do for my development? I have no problem with throwing there and like others have said, it’s required for the playoff.

Reactions: BarkleyPSU1
If you were anywhere near the field of play at Heinz field in 2016 after the loss to Pitt, and you saw how our players were treated, you would have clearly understood why Sean Clifford threw a deep touchdown pass to Brandon Polk to make the score 51-6.

That's all there is to say and if you don't understand that, then you were not there.

I don't root for Pitt so I don't care what Narduzzi would do. I also would never fault a college player for that. I like JF and believe he is the perfect person for the job. I don't think throwing deep up 44 to 7 is the right thing to do. I have had the score run up on me before, and I tell my players and staff it is our job to stop them and not take it personally. But I also tell them I won't do it even to those who did it to us. You and Pennsy can have the last word on this if you want. I am out on this.

giphy.gif

I get why he was doing this to Duzzi and I get the deep ball without a doubt. The challenge with a minute to go kind of was over the top, but when an opposing coach runs his mouth for 3 years, makes key chains, calls your players like JJ and Wade last week.....you can expect a big middle finger back at you. The comments about JJ need to be made to the officials ahead of the game, not the media. The comments about Wade were disrespectful to Wade and weren't necessary at all. Duzzi ran his trap and then got b!tch slapped for doing so. I'm sure he'll do it again next year IF...and that is a HUGE IF....he is still the HC at Pitt because that team lacks discipline and that is a direct reflection of their HC.

I also know that if the shoe was on the other foot, people here would be killing JF for the deep ball and late challenge. I also think JF went to sleep just fine that night with a BIG sh!t eating grin on his face.

Last edited:
I get why he was doing this to Duzzi and I get the deep ball without a doubt. The challenge with a minute to go kind of was over the top, but when an opposing coach runs his mouth for 3 years, makes key chains, calls your players like JJ and Wade last week.....you can expect a big middle finger back at you. The comments about JJ need to be made to the officials ahead of the game not the media. The comments about Wade were disrespectful to Wade and weren't necessary. Duzzi ran his trap and then got b!tch slapped for doing so. I'm sure he'll do it again next year IF...and that is a HUGE IF....he is still the HC at Pitt because that team lacks discipline and that is a direct reflection of their HC.

I also know that if the shoe was on the other foot, people here would be killing JF for the deep ball and late challenge. I also think JF went to sleep just fine that night with a BIG sh!t eating grin on his face.

+100 on everything you said.
I will also say the the comments he made about Wade will not go over well in the WPIAL, maybe to pitt loyalists but thats all. When I went home a couple times this past summer, Western PA, I talked to some pitt fans (there are some rational ones) and they had already heard rumblings that the High School coaches and some parents were really put off by Narduzzi and his staff. The comments that got back to me were "incredibly arrogant" LOL. Not sure why cause after Sat. nights game they are in trouble. I see maybe 3 more wins on their schedule for them.
They were completely out classed Sat. night. at that was with a Sr. laden team. Its going to be even worse next year. LMAO.

Maybe Franklin’s challenge of the fumble was more to do with protecting his true freshman running back and his confidence and less to do with Pitt.

It also may have had something to do with the defense keeping Pitt off the boars in the second half. Who knows for sure? Bottom line to me is that if you expect kids to bust their behinds for a full 60 minutes, then you should be coaching for the full 60 minutes.

Reactions: PSUSignore
I used to be against running up the score, but after the shit we have had to endure from all directions since 2011, I'm all for the take no prisoners approach of James Franklin. Pour it on whenever possible. I just don't care about image as much these days. We're coming for you.
This.... Since 2014, I have been itching for this. We were physically and verbally decimated after the sanctions, so now, payback is a bitch! As for Blackledge, he is old school and didn't want to see the score run up or a challenge that meant nothing at the end of the game.

The rule has changed. Formerly, if a player took a "regular" redshirt and then was injured and missed another year, he could not get a second redshirt year. The only way to get a 6th year was for a player to miss two seasons due to injury and then petition the NCAA.

The new rule allows a player who took a non-injury redshirt as a freshman to take a second redshirt year if an injury occurs.

The rule has changed. Formerly, if a player took a "regular" redshirt and then was injured and missed another year, he could not get a second redshirt year. The only way to get a 6th year was for a player to miss two seasons due to injury and then petition the NCAA.

The new rule allows a player who took a non-injury redshirt as a freshman to take a second redshirt year if an injury occurs.

So, if we are to believe that Tommy's not coming back soon, then this might be a strategy going forward? Correct?

No. I don't think the NCAA would buy off on the theory that he's medically incapable of playing considering he's dressed and wearing pads on the sidelines during games. Would you?

Last edited:
I've seen PSU score 35 points in 8 1/2 minutes, 42 in 16 minutes or so , and 56 points in a half. I don't consider almost any lead safe so you play to 0:00 on the clock. And by play that means dispute a call you beelive is wrong or run your playbook.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT