ADVERTISEMENT

Tomorrow is the 80th anniversary of D-Day

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
There have already been several events to commemorate this. Here are two.

Loong standing ovation by French students to honor vets still alive:

A vintage C-47 skytrain reenacts the drop of the 1st Airborne while General Patton's granddaughter hums the theme from Band of Brothers.

A vintage C-47 skytrain reenacts the drop of the 1st Airborne while General Patton's granddaughter hums the theme from Band of Brothers.

That is one place that I definitely want to visit one day. Just from watching the opening of Saving Private Ryan, I can't fathom the self sacrifice that these men gave, many of whom still were teenagers. My family always will remember this time because about six months after the landings, one of my great uncles was killed in Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge.

I just wonder how much of this is taught in schools today.

That is one place that I definitely want to visit one day. Just from watching the opening of Saving Private Ryan, I can't fathom the self sacrifice that these men gave, many of whom still were teenagers. My family always will remember this time because about six months after the landings, one of my great uncles was killed in Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge.

my brother and I visited when PSU played in Dublin. we took a side trip to France. For me, you get that feeling of "hallowed ground" you get when visiting Gettysburgh or anyplace that saw this kind of event. I'd love to go to Iwo or Okinawa. Maybe Hiroshima. I thought there would be more in terms of preserved battlegrounds. But the visits to Point Du Hoc and the US cemetery were moving. We stayed two nights in Arromanches-les-Bains. There you could still see the remnants of the Mulberrys. (temporary piers).

A friend took the "Band of Brothers" tour which may interest you. I'd love to visit the Eagle's Nest.

my brother and I visited when PSU played in Dublin. we took a side trip to France. For me, you get that feeling of "hallowed ground" you get when visiting Gettysburgh or anyplace that saw this kind of event. I'd love to go to Iwo or Okinawa. Maybe Hiroshima. I thought there would be more in terms of preserved battlegrounds. But the visits to Point Du Hoc and the US cemetery were moving. We stayed two nights in Arromanches-les-Bains. There you could still see the remnants of the Mulberrys. (temporary piers).

A friend took the "Band of Brothers" tour which may interest you. I'd love to visit the Eagle's Nest.
It also doesn’t hurt that Normandy is a gorgeous part of the world - with another benefit of amazing food and nice people.

Reactions: Obliviax

I don't know if the same jump, but some of the actors from Band of Brothers were scheduled to participate in a Normandy jump to honor the men they portrayed.

I know we have some differences with France but they always show their appreciation for DDay and the liberation of their country by U.S. and allied forces along with some of their own men who were instrumental in victory. Americans should NEVER forget that without 🇫🇷 military assistance during our revolutionary War, that war would have lasted much longer and might not have been a success. France and the U.K. are still important and pretty reliable allies for the U.S.; for that I am thankful.

They're too busy teaching rap, pride, tranny readings and other crap.

Had a great uncle (in both senses of the term) who survived parts of the landing under dead bodies of those to his left and right until he could move forward. He brought a German officer's sword home that looks almost identical to one I've seen in a museum. Didn't talk about any of it until his last year.

Had a great uncle (in both senses of the term) who survived parts of the landing under dead bodies of those to his left and right until he could move forward. He brought a German officer's sword home that looks almost identical to one I've seen in a museum. Didn't talk about any of it until his last year.
When I was a kid and visited my grandparents in the '70s, my grandfather would show me some German Wehrmacht items such as a pair of field binoculars and an officer's hat.

I'm sure that I'm in the majority on this board in that many of my family members have served, spilled blood and paid the ultimate sacrifice for this country. And that's why a lot of us have such a visceral reaction to what has happened in this country since 2020.

It also doesn’t hurt that Normandy is a gorgeous part of the world - with another benefit of amazing food and nice people.
yeah. the people there told us that visitations have been going down year in and year out as the boomers die off. I hate we are letting these people down.

If one ever goes, take a side trip to St. Michel which is about an hour drive away (west). The photos don't do it justice as it contains five restaurants and two hotels amount the other attractions (that is how big it is).

MONT-ST-MICHEL.JPG

I know we have some differences with France but they always show their appreciation for DDay and the liberation of their country by U.S. and allied forces along with some of their own men who were instrumental in victory. Americans should NEVER forget that without 🇫🇷 military assistance during our revolutionary War, that war would have lasted much longer and might not have been a success. France and the U.K. are still important and pretty reliable allies for the U.S.; for that I am thankful.
France gets a thumb down for not allowing us to cross their air space when we bombed Libya, but their appreciation of our WW2 vets is admirable for sure.

Reactions: psu00
When I was a kid and visited my grandparents in the '70s, my grandfather would show me some German Wehrmacht items such as a pair of field binoculars and an officer's hat.

I'm sure that I'm in the majority on this board in that many of my family members have served, spilled blood and paid the ultimate sacrifice for this country. And that's why a lot of us have such a visceral reaction to what has happened in this country since 2020.

A Jewish American soldier killed in the Battle of Cherbourg to be re-interred at the American Cemetery in Normandy.

An amazing story of courage by the soldier and of people to find his burial site, cut through enormous red tape and strict Jewish laws, and correct a horrific mistake. He had been buried ….twice….in mass graves of German soldiers in France.

He will buried on June 23rd, the 80th anniversary of his death.

Last edited:

My uncle Tony was there, just a kid. He would never speak of Normandy or the war at all. My cousins found his medals after he died. I was b I rn 3 mo after Normandy. Everyone there was avhero. They all expected to r me thrre.

Probably very little is taught. Kids today don't even know which bathroom to use thanks to woke liberal teachers

Last edited:
Why did we have to land in Normandy? There are hundreds of miles of coastline. Once the Germans knew the landing spot and we knew they had it fortified, why not land a few miles away?

I do have kind of a funny family military story. A great uncle of mine broke his back late in WWII while slipping and sliding off a balcony. He was visiting a whorehouse in the Philippines I believe - MPs raided it - and he tried to escape out the back from the 2nd floor. We didn’t get the details of Uncle Warren, the war hero’s, exploits in that “battle” until we were older

Why did we have to land in Normandy? There are hundreds of miles of coastline. Once the Germans knew the landing spot and we knew they had it fortified, why not land a few miles away?
The Germans didn’t know the landing site. They had fortifications up and down the entire coast of the English Channel. Some more than others.

Beach heads had to be near roads snd/or rails so that equipment, troops, ammunition, and supplies could moved inland. Allies couldn’t directly attack Pitt’s like Cherbourg or Aremanchesse as they were heavily defended. Plan was to come knxhire elsewhere and cut off those cities.

Point de Hoc was critical because the Germans had placed huge guns there that could rain down hell for 10-12 miles in either direction. Strange thing was when the men fought their way up the cliffs they found that the guns had been moved and several were still not functioning.

One platoon went looking and found them a mile away. IIRC, one guy took out three of them.

The Germans didn’t know the landing site. They had fortifications up and down the entire coast of the English Channel. Some more than others.

Beach heads had to be near roads snd/or rails so that equipment, troops, ammunition, and supplies could moved inland. Allies couldn’t directly attack Pitt’s like Cherbourg or Aremanchesse as they were heavily defended. Plan was to come knxhire elsewhere and cut off those cities.

Point de Hoc was critical because the Germans had placed huge guns there that could rain down hell for 10-12 miles in either direction. Strange thing was when the men fought their way up the cliffs they found that the guns had been moved and several were still not functioning.

One platoon went looking and found them a mile away. IIRC, one guy took out three of them.

Right. The Germans thought they would attack at Calais. Right next to Dunkirk. In fact, the allies made fake tanks and planes out of balloons to fool them

The Germans actually thought that the
Normandy invasion was a diversion with the main invasion to occur at Pas-de- Calais up further on the coast. Panzers were held in reserve at Normandy because the Germans did not think Normandy was the real invasion.

There were some fortunate decisions that contributed to the invasions success.

Point de hoc is a great place to visit. I was moved by the craters from the bombardment from the battleship Texas. They are massive divots. Not to mention the cliffs and the fortifications.

I visited with my son who was 14 at the time and on our walk back he is rattling off the entire detail of the battle and pointing out landmarks and all sorts of stuff only someone who had been there before would know. He had never need there. I asked him how in the hell do you know all this stuff about this battle? His reply - I’ve fought this battle hundreds of times on Call of Duty Maybe you can learn a thing or two through those damn games.

Grandfather (no kids at the time) came ashore D1 at Utah. The guns at PDH were targeting that beach before the Germans moved them inland to protect them from the US shelling. Lucky him - lucky me.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Point de hoc is a great place to visit. I was moved by the craters from the bombardment from the battleship Texas. They are massive divots. Not to mention the cliffs and the fortifications.

I visited with my son who was 14 at the time and on our walk back he is rattling off the entire detail of the battle and pointing out landmarks and all sorts of stuff only someone who had been there before would know. He had never need there. I asked him how in the hell do you know all this stuff about this battle? His reply - I’ve fought this battle hundreds of times on Call of Duty Maybe you can learn a thing or two through those damn games.

Grandfather (no kids at the time) came ashore D1 at Utah. The guns at PDH were targeting that beach before the Germans moved them inland to protect them from the US shelling. Lucky him - lucky me.
Here is a detailed look at the planning, training and execution of the Rangers taking of Point de hoc.

There is no way to understand what took place there until you walk the beaches and gaze out from those cliffs.

A heartfelt gratitude to all that served there and throughout our history.

RIP……

Despite the name, I didn't realize until recently that Vikings or Norse men had invaded that area and many settled there centuries ago.

Perhaps it's been more friendly to Brits and Americans for some time.

It's wonderful to see the tributes from the people to the Allied troops who regained freedom

Interesting, never heard that before.

It did remind me of something that happened when I was working for the Navy. We were working on the vacuum collection urinals on 963 class destroyers. We were removing the vacuum device and closing up for the night. We had closed off the head space and left notices to use other spaces. Our mechanic said lets see how these sailors pay attention and listen to advice (not exactly his words). The mechanic adjusted the unconnected drain to empty at the feet of whoever might use the urinal. Sure enough, the next morning there was a puddle at the urinal.

Interesting, never heard that before.

It did remind me of something that happened when I was working for the Navy. We were working on the vacuum collection urinals on 963 class destroyers. We were removing the vacuum device and closing up for the night. We had closed off the head space and left notices to use other spaces. Our mechanic said lets see how these sailors pay attention and listen to advice (not exactly his words). The mechanic adjusted the unconnected drain to empty at the feet of whoever might use the urinal. Sure enough, the next morning there was a puddle at the urinal.
“Not exactly his words “😹

There was misinformation. Also, I watched a series that said, they did not expect the cloud cover. Of the three air born units, two went under the cloud cover risking their lives and hit their targets The one unit was ordered to stay above the clouds and missed their targets. If all three units would have it the targets, it would have saved a lot of lives.

Despite the name, I didn't realize until recently that Vikings or Norse men had invaded that area and many settled there centuries ago.

Perhaps it's been more friendly to Brits and Americans for some time.

It's wonderful to see the tributes from the people to the Allied troops who regained freedom
Like all of Europe the history of the area is complicated having been ruled by various ethnicities over the centuries.

It was originally Celtic until the Romans came along in 56 BC. Then the Vikings took over in the eight century.

The Vikings/Norse ruled the area and even conquered England with the Battle of Hastings being the major turning point.

With the Celtic heritage they often feel closer to England then France.

https://www.britannica.com/summary/...s been inhabited since,(the Simple) of France.

There was misinformation. Also, I watched a series that said, they did not expect the cloud cover. Of the three air born units, two went under the cloud cover risking their lives and hit their targets The one unit was ordered to stay above the clouds and missed their targets. If all three units would have it the targets, it would have saved a lot of lives.
True, but the bad weather also had some positive effects. The Germans knew an invasion was coming at some point but were convinced it wouldn’t happen with all that bad weather. The general in charge, Romel, even left the area to be with his wife on her birthday.

It also hindered German attempts to move men and weapons or ammunition supplies.

Reactions: PSUeng
They're too busy teaching rap, pride, tranny readings and other crap.

Those French high school kids feel better about America than kids in the United States. How many U.S. high school kids even know about D-Day and Normandy?

Probably very little is taught. Kids today don't even know which bathroom to use thanks to woke liberal teachers

They're taught it, whether they retain any of it is another question.

Now, thanks to the efforts of the Texas state BoE (among others), much of what is written in US history text books has been sanitized/"whitewashed," just like how the Japanese right has sanitized/"whitewashed" their textbooks.

Reactions: voltz99 and Hotshoe
Here is an interesting perspective.

Before I traveled to Normandy, a good friend told me a "can't miss" is the German cemetery. Well, I missed it. The German cemetery is well maintained, to the credit of the French. One wonders, why have a German cemetery at all? They were the invaders and killed people on behalf of one of the worst ideologies ever seen on the planet. But my friend's point was that, while well maintained, it is stark and dark and lifeless. A major contrast to the Allied cemetery.

So the question becomes, what drove these erstwhile young people to do this? So my wife has taught me, in any problematic situation, to first look at yourself and find how you contributed to letting this happen. Of course, the Allies learned after WW1 and helped rebuild Germany/Japan. I have recently found the few years following the war to be just as interesting as the war. Where do you begin? How to start the dauntless task of rebuilding cities and lives? How do you put away the anger? Relative European peace in the 50's through the recent war in Ukraine is an incredible story given the hate and damage done. Reading the book, A Higher Call, the German fighter pilot recalls walking away from the aerodrome after fighting for six years and not knowing if he'll be shot for desertion even though Germany had surrendered. He hides his uniform so people won't know he was a pilot. At one point, recognizing his fighter pilot boots, he gets dragged into an ally and beat up for not giving his life protecting the homeland. Really crazy times.

In this article, the writer discusses a similar cemetery dedicated in Italy. The commander turns his back on the audience and addresses the men who died under his command; facing the cemetery. he apologizes that they had to die and apologizes if anything he did, or failed to do, led to their death. He comments that this isn't a celebration of their deaths. He also comments that glorifying these horrific events isn't the goal. He muses that there are times when war is necessary, but that it was leaders who created war that killed these kids regardless. He then finishes, does not address the crowd, and simply walks off stage quietly. A man.

Anyway, a good read if you are into such things. It strikes me that today may not be the day but what day is good?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT