ADVERTISEMENT

Tomorrow is the 80th anniversary of D-Day

What would the world look like today if that invasion was unsuccessful? Those brave souls are owed so much.

Where would the world be without the USA's ability to support peace through strength?

President Teddy Roosevelt’s son, Brigadier General Theodore Roosevelt Jr., has one of the most incredible D-Day stories.

At 56 years old, the WW I veteran who also previously served as Assistant Sec. of the Navy and Governor of Puerto Rico, requested three times to lead the first wave of the assault on Utah Beach before permission was granted. Under a barrage of artillery fire, he proceeded to lead the men across the beach, returning for the ensuing units.

He was part of Operation Neptune and led the assault on Utah Beach. At Utah Beach, the tidal currents were so strong that the first twenty landing craft strayed two kilometers to the south of the expected objective. Roosevelt, as one of the first men off the boat, immediately assessed the revised situation and is said to have declared, “We’ll start the war from right here!”He repeatedly led groups from the beach, over the seawall, and established them inland. His valor, courage, and presence in the very front of the attack and his complete unconcern at being under heavy fire inspired the troops to heights of enthusiasm and self-sacrifice.

Although the enemy had the beach under constant direct fire, Brig. Gen. Roosevelt moved from one locality to another, rallying men around him, directed, and personally led them against the enemy. Under his seasoned, precise, calm, and unfaltering leadership, assault troops reduced beach strongpoints and rapidly moved inland with minimum casualties. He thus contributed substantially to the successful establishment of the beachhead in France.

Thirty-six days later, on July 12, 1944, Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. died in his sleep of a heart attack, at the age of 56. General Omar Bradley later said Roosevelt’s action on Utah Beach was the bravest thing he had ever seen, and, in a letter to his wife, General George Patton wrote, “He was one of the bravest men I ever knew.”

What would the world look like today if that invasion was unsuccessful? Those brave souls are owed so much.

Where would the world be without the USA's ability to support peace through strength?
Would Detroit be any worse?

The Germans actually thought that the
Normandy invasion was a diversion with the main invasion to occur at Pas-de- Calais up further on the coast. Panzers were held in reserve at Normandy because the Germans did not think Normandy was the real invasion.

There were some fortunate decisions that contributed to the invasions success.
Yep.

One of things that convinced the Germans this was real is that the Allies put Gen George Patton in charge. Patton has destroyed the vaunted Afrika Corp and stormed through Italy and the Germans. They respected him as the best General in our Army….didn’t believe he would be restricted to a minor rule after slapping a shell shocked shocked soldier in a hospital.

Another thing. Wonder if any of these still exist? Would be great to have them for front yard inflatables to use on Memorial Day, D-Day, Veterans Day, even the Fourth of July. More impactful than skeletons and ghosts, reindeer and Santa Clause, Easter bunnies and eggs.

Last edited:

As we pay our respects, I find this map to be helpful. IIRC, Omaha was the worst in terms of casualties followed closely by Utah. Sword and Juno were, in many cases, a simple landing and walk-up. Juno was almost abandoned and the troops simply needed to navigate minefields and artillery ("simply" probably not the right word). Gold ended up being very important as this is where most of the Marberries were build and where the equipment landed on D-Day +X. Interestingly, the Mulberrys were damaged in a major storm just days after the landing (June 18th and 19th). (legend is that they were the vision of Sir Winston Churchill).

I stayed at the Hotel De Normandy in Arromanches.

D-Day-landing-beaches-map-1465599-3-2.jpg

20180511080502(1).jpg

Last edited:
President Teddy Roosevelt’s son, Brigadier General Theodore Roosevelt Jr., has one of the most incredible D-Day stories.

At 56 years old, the WW I veteran who also previously served as Assistant Sec. of the Navy and Governor of Puerto Rico, requested three times to lead the first wave of the assault on Utah Beach before permission was granted. Under a barrage of artillery fire, he proceeded to lead the men across the beach, returning for the ensuing units.

He was part of Operation Neptune and led the assault on Utah Beach. At Utah Beach, the tidal currents were so strong that the first twenty landing craft strayed two kilometers to the south of the expected objective. Roosevelt, as one of the first men off the boat, immediately assessed the revised situation and is said to have declared, “We’ll start the war from right here!”He repeatedly led groups from the beach, over the seawall, and established them inland. His valor, courage, and presence in the very front of the attack and his complete unconcern at being under heavy fire inspired the troops to heights of enthusiasm and self-sacrifice.

Although the enemy had the beach under constant direct fire, Brig. Gen. Roosevelt moved from one locality to another, rallying men around him, directed, and personally led them against the enemy. Under his seasoned, precise, calm, and unfaltering leadership, assault troops reduced beach strongpoints and rapidly moved inland with minimum casualties. He thus contributed substantially to the successful establishment of the beachhead in France.

Thirty-six days later, on July 12, 1944, Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. died in his sleep of a heart attack, at the age of 56. General Omar Bradley later said Roosevelt’s action on Utah Beach was the bravest thing he had ever seen, and, in a letter to his wife, General George Patton wrote, “He was one of the bravest men I ever knew.”
Teddy Jr. was injured in WW1 and had to use a cane the rest of his life and on the D-Day beaches. He was awarded the MoH for his heroism in WW1.

There is
Another thing. Wonder if any of these still exist? Would be great to have them for front yard inflatables to use on Memorial Day, D-Day, Veterans Day, even the Fourth of July. More impactful than skeletons and ghosts, reindeer and Santa Clause, Easter bunnies and eggs.
There is one in the Spy Museum near Washington, D C. Saw it last November.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
As we pay our respects, I find this map to be helpful. IIRC, Omaha was the worst in terms of casualties followed closely by Utah. Sword and Juno were, in many cases, a simple landing and walk-up. Juno was almost abandoned and the troops simply needed to navigate minefields and artillery ("simply" probably not the right word). Gold ended up being very important as this is where most of the Marberries were build and where the equipment landed on D-Day +X. Interestingly, the Mulberrys were damaged in a major storm just days after the landing (June 18th and 19th). (legend is that they were the vision of Sir Winston Churchill).

I stayed at the Hotel De Normandy in Arromanches.

D-Day-landing-beaches-map-1465599-3-2.jpg

20180511080502(1).jpg
Looking at that map you can see why Utah and Omaha were so heavily defended as those beaches guarded a natural port. Having a port protected from the huge North Atlantic storms that hit often was very important.

In fact huge storms hit weeks later and did serious damage to the port system the Allies had built up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obliviax
D-Day was a terrible day for Bedford, VA

The Bedford Boys​

Among the hundreds of thousands massed off the shores of Normandy on the morning of 6 June 1944 were 44 soldiers, sailors, and airmen from the town and county of Bedford, Virginia. Thirty-seven of these young men belonged to Company A of the 116th Infantry Regiment, 29th Division. For almost all of them, this would be their baptism of fire. Of the 37 assigned to Company A, 31 loaded into landing craft and headed for Omaha Beach in the first wave; the remainder belonged to supply details and would arrive later. En route, a landing craft struck an obstacle and sank, stranding dozens far from shore, including five of Bedford’s own. The remaining 26 successfully reached Omaha Beach, where 16 were killed and four wounded within a matter of minutes. Three others were unaccounted for and later presumed killed in action. Another Bedford soldier was killed in action elsewhere on Omaha Beach with Company F, bringing Bedford’s D-Day fatalities to a total of 20. In comparison with its wartime population, Bedford suffered the Nation’s highest known per capita D-Day loss, a somber distinction for the rural Virginia community.

D-Day was a terrible day for Bedford, VA

The Bedford Boys​

Among the hundreds of thousands massed off the shores of Normandy on the morning of 6 June 1944 were 44 soldiers, sailors, and airmen from the town and county of Bedford, Virginia. Thirty-seven of these young men belonged to Company A of the 116th Infantry Regiment, 29th Division. For almost all of them, this would be their baptism of fire. Of the 37 assigned to Company A, 31 loaded into landing craft and headed for Omaha Beach in the first wave; the remainder belonged to supply details and would arrive later. En route, a landing craft struck an obstacle and sank, stranding dozens far from shore, including five of Bedford’s own. The remaining 26 successfully reached Omaha Beach, where 16 were killed and four wounded within a matter of minutes. Three others were unaccounted for and later presumed killed in action. Another Bedford soldier was killed in action elsewhere on Omaha Beach with Company F, bringing Bedford’s D-Day fatalities to a total of 20. In comparison with its wartime population, Bedford suffered the Nation’s highest known per capita D-Day loss, a somber distinction for the rural Virginia community.

Several years ago my wife and I spent a week exploring the Blue Ridge and did a side trip to Bedford after learning of the National D-Day Memorial there.

We didn't know what to expect, but it was extremely well done. Many exhibits and monuments spread out over a sizable expanse of land. Worth a stop if you're ever within hailing distance.

i didn't know this, below, about "Scottie". So I have to believe, at some point, some captain said "Doohan, we've got to get off the beach and make it to the cliff." and Doohan said "Cap'n, she cont take it. She's breaking up!".

Also just learned that Eddie Albert (Green Acres) won a bronze star on Tarawa and went on to star in "The Longest Day".

i didn't know this, below, about "Scottie". So I have to believe, at some point, some captain said "Doohan, we've got to get off the beach and make it to the cliff." and Doohan said "Cap'n, she cont take it. She's breaking up!".

Also just learned that Eddie Albert (Green Acres) won a bronze star on Tarawa and went on to star in "The Longest Day".

Shit six times? Wow certainly can’t take much more of that!

Shit six times? Wow certainly can’t take much more of that!
Yeah..jeeze. If you want to get a story google Hal Baumgarten. IIRC, his rifle got shot and blocked a bullet. He gets hit in the face with shrapnel. he ends up being left for dead in a pile of bodies. Some Germans came to the pile of bodies to search for cigarettes and found him alive. he wouldn't talk about it until someone convinced him that he had to talk about it to ensure that everyone knew what they had gone through. He became great friends with Steven Ambrose (band of brothers).

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Yeah..jeeze. If you want to get a story google Hal Baumgarten. IIRC, his rifle got shot and blocked a bullet. He gets hit in the face with shrapnel. he ends up being left for dead in a pile of bodies. Some Germans came to the pile of bodies to search for cigarettes and found him alive. he wouldn't talk about it until someone convinced him that he had to talk about it to ensure that everyone knew what they had gone through. He became great friends with Steven Ambrose (band of brothers).

Great posts Obliviax

First Sargent Leonard Lomell. Wounddd on shore. Scaled the cliffs, found znd destroyed three of the big guns, went back to get more grenades, is credited for destroying two more.

But he wasn’t done yet. Months later, as a 2nd Lt, earned a Silver Star while leading his battalion to capture Hill 400 in Germany.

And still wasn’t done. Was wounded again in the Battle of the Bulge.

Reactions: royboy and Obliviax
First Sargent Leonard Lomell. Wounddd on shore. Scaled the cliffs, found znd destroyed three of the big guns, went back to get more grenades, is credited for destroying two more.

But he wasn’t done yet. Months later, as a 2nd Lt, earned a Silver Star while leading his battalion to capture Hill 400 in Germany.

And still wasn’t done. Was wounded again in the Battle of the Bulge.

I thought I read that the intel was bad and all of the guns at the top of point-du-hoc were gone.

I thought I read that the intel was bad and all of the guns at the top of point-du-hoc were gone.
They were not on the bunkers. So Sgt Lomell and Staff Shy Jack Kuhn went on patrol in a search mission. They found the guns in an orchard a couple klicks away. Sgt Kuhn provided cover while Sgt Lomell approached and destroyed the guns using thermite grenades which burned so hot they fused the gears of the turrets in place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT