ADVERTISEMENT

Top remaining recruiting targets for PSU?

GogglesPaizano

Feb 6, 2018
In rank of priority - weight mapping is subjective

Class of 2020

1. Saunders - 149
2. Bartlett - 141
3. Ferrari - HWT (my weight assignment to go vs Seth)
4. Lee - 157

Class of 2021

1. Facundo - 165
2. Manville - 157
3. Herra-Rondon - 125
4. Mastrogiovani - 141 (will likely follow his brother)

I still think we will get at least 2 of 4 from the above 2020 class. What say you?

Reactions: Dogwelder
Yes, and What staff does well 133-285?

I'd actually say 125-285. Nico wasn't that long ago and since we've had Suriano and Teasdale wash out for reasons that were presumably beyond PSU's control. Admittedly, it would be unfair to make the claim that PSU had really developed Teasdale any because we haven't seen him wrestle as a collegian, but.....

Alejandro Herrera-Rondon is projected as a 157-165.
Joshua Saunders, 149, is down to either Penn State and an Ivy League school or two.
Herrera 157/165? He's at 113 now.

Not doubting, just surprised, would've guessed 141/149 ... Wouldn't be the first or last time I'd be wrong.

Not doubting, just surprised, would've guessed 141/149 ... Wouldn't be the first or last time I'd be wrong.

Probably a look at his family and their growth chart.

my dad was 5'6" and 160 when he went into the service at 17
I was 5'5" and 140 lbs as a senior in HS

we both turned 20 at over 6'0" and 200 lbs of ripped muscle (jk)

My son on the other hand as 9 yo is 5'0" and 114.....so what the hell do I know. Probably his mothers fault.

Thread Title: Top remaining recriting targets ...

... I still think we will get at least 2 of 4 from the above 2020 class ...
Goggles: So, the two Recrits ...
Judge: The two what?
Goggles: Recrits. ...

MyCousinVinny3e.JPG

What 25’ers are likely to enter the portal?
I'm hearing rumors of a certain 125 pounder that will transfer over the summer to PSU, and take an Olympic RS year to satisfy the one year sit out rule (officially called the "except for Rutgres rule in the NCAA handbook). Then have two remaining years of NCAA competitions left. That would give him two team titles along with his individual titles. It would also crush the remaining spirit of a fan base that invented folkstyle wrestling in 1975

Note: the rumors I'm hearing are only in my head.

My son on the other hand as 9 yo is 5'0" and 114.....so what the hell do I know. Probably his mothers fault.
My brother is 5 in taller and outweighed me by 40 lb in HS, by more in college.

I got the looks.

5' 0" and 114 pounds at 9? I didn;t reach those dimensions until I was 15. Expect he will be a DL in the NFL some day.

Reactions: Afw6006
A possible 125 in the Class of 2021 is Reynolds' PIAA Champ, Gary Steen. He's back at 106 this season and has placed 3rd at Ironman and won PowerAde. I know that it is difficult to project weights for sophomores but he is on the older side- I believe that he is 17- and neither of his parents are that tall. Gary is slick and battle-tested - multiple age-group AA finishes in free and Greco. He's also good friends with 2019 recruit Carter Starrocci. But, his dad's club, Bad Karma, has a ton of contacts with college assistant coaches from all of the clinicians they've brought in over the years. Gary will have plenty of opportunities/scholarship offers to choose from.

Reactions: garw and Str8DBLz

I swear I heard on broadcast last Friday that OSU's 280 (or was it 197) wrestled 113 at some point.

Not as high on Saunders as most, but definitely a need for 141/149. Would rather target a pair '21 recruits in Herrera or Maximo Renteria for 41/49

Jakason Burks a 125 target?

At this point, Matt Lee should still be viewed as a preferred walk-on target. At least until he shows significant improvement on the national scale.

I'm hearing rumors of a certain 125 pounder that will transfer over the summer to PSU, and take an Olympic RS year to satisfy the one year sit out rule (officially called the "except for Rutgres rule in the NCAA handbook). Then have two remaining years of NCAA competitions left. That would give him two team titles along with his individual titles. It would also crush the remaining spirit of a fan base that invented folkstyle wrestling in 1975

Note: the rumors I'm hearing are only in my head.

And that’s different from most other rumors here?

In rank of priority - weight mapping is subjective

Class of 2020

1. Saunders - 149
2. Bartlett - 141
3. Ferrari - HWT (my weight assignment to go vs Seth)
4. Lee - 157

Class of 2021

1. Facundo - 165
2. Manville - 157
3. Herra-Rondon - 125
4. Mastrogiovani - 141 (will likely follow his brother)

I still think we will get at least 2 of 4 from the above 2020 class. What say you?
Which 2 you figure we get/need the most from class of 2020?

Lee and Saunders is my guess

Saunders is a good fit. I watched him compete a lot early on. He started wrestling against HS kids while in 6 grade or so. He seemed to tighten up a little offensively. I would love to see what he looks like after a few years in the PSU system.

He's a Cael type kid for sure. I've always figured it would be Cornell , but hopefully I'm wrong.

Not as high on Saunders as most, but definitely a need for 141/149. Would rather target a pair '21 recruits in Herrera or Maximo Renteria for 41/49

Jakason Burks a 125 target?

At this point, Matt Lee should still be viewed as a preferred walk-on target. At least until he shows significant improvement on the national scale.

DxuZMWiU0AAQ4vL.jpg

Jakason Burks top 5

Reactions: LemonPie
A guy we should keep an eye on is a 113 sophomore from NJ Dean Peterson. Kid is a scrappy SOB and extremely competitive

Manville just wrestled 170 after getting surgery for compartment syndrome or something. Be interesting to see if he goes competes in our individual state qualifiers (sections) this weekend. His team (Shakopee) will probably win AAA (big school) division team title.

I sat beside AHR's mom at Powerade 17, She was a smaller woman, very nice nothing but glowing things from her as a fan with regards to sportsmanship and love for her son. But, i don't know if I see him getting up to 165, I'm with Jefe here, unless dad whom I never met is a giant lol

I think Gary would do great at PSU! His dad would love it and bad karma isn't a bad pipeline to tap into ;)

A possible 125 in the Class of 2021 is Reynolds' PIAA Champ, Gary Steen. He's back at 106 this season and has placed 3rd at Ironman and won PowerAde. I know that it is difficult to project weights for sophomores but he is on the older side- I believe that he is 17- and neither of his parents are that tall. Gary is slick and battle-tested - multiple age-group AA finishes in free and Greco. He's also good friends with 2019 recruit Carter Starrocci. But, his dad's club, Bad Karma, has a ton of contacts with college assistant coaches from all of the clinicians they've brought in over the years. Gary will have plenty of opportunities/scholarship offers to choose from.

Reactions: kevin310
He wrestled again already after being under the knife?

Manville just wrestled 170 after getting surgery for compartment syndrome or something. Be interesting to see if he goes competes in our individual state qualifiers (sections) this weekend. His team (Shakopee) will probably win AAA (big school) division team title.

Peterson wins 113 pound NJ State Title. 3-2, only points were from stalling on top.

Still no love for Bartlett? I'm on an island here.

Does Bartlett project somewhere in 141-157 range? If so his RSFr year would likely have Seniors at all of those weights (assuming RBY moves up to 141 after Nick Lee graduates) Not sure that interests him or the staff (from a scholarship standpoint?)
If its true about Herrera's likely growth, he and Van Ness would appear to fit better from a timing standpoint at those weights...
The grayshirt would come in useful and based on this year, obviously a potential tool to make things work if the staff believes Bartlett is the guy they want... so many moving parts, it really is impressive to watch the staff make things work and get creative. All of this also requires interest from the wrestlers

Reactions: kevin310
Does Bartlett project somewhere in 141-157 range? If so his RSFr year would likely have Seniors at all of those weights (assuming RBY moves up to 141 after Nick Lee graduates) Not sure that interests him or the staff (from a scholarship standpoint?)
If its true about Herrera's likely growth, he and Van Ness would appear to fit better from a timing standpoint at those weights...
The grayshirt would come in useful and based on this year, obviously a potential tool to make things work if the staff believes Bartlett is the guy they want... so many moving parts, it really is impressive to watch the staff make things work and get creative. All of this also requires interest from the wrestlers
Some months ago a very credible poster (PSU alum), who is well connected to another program, said Bartlett was likely headed to that school. (He probably just blanched at being called "very credible" in any topic other than beer.)

That has not yet materialized and maybe it never will. However, not once has anyone said Bartlett had any interest in PSU or vice-versa.

Maybe it could still happen, but with zero evidence it seems unlikely. Almost everyone has drawn that same conclusion, except for one poster who has banged the Bartlett drum at every opportunity.

Reactions: mcruny42
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT