ADVERTISEMENT

tOSU stealing a bit of our thunder......

Rest assured that Erickson, at least, is pleased.

He's hoping that with a little bit more athletic failure, perhaps geography will regain its lofty perch at the top of the totem pole.

Re: Rest assured that Erickson, at least, is pleased.

Originally posted by lionlurker:
He's hoping that with a little bit more athletic failure, perhaps geography will regain its lofty perch at the top of the totem pole.
You know Cael redshirted a number of key guys, right?

Originally posted by Alphalion75:
In 2 sports that we've excelled with NCs....the Buckeyes may win both the fencing and wrestling championships this weekend.
OSU is currently leading the fencings championships, and I don't know much about fencing, but from the numbers I see, but don't fully understand, I don't think they will win it. I think it will be us, or Columbia (maybe even Penn).

Re: Rest assured that Erickson, at least, is pleased.

Originally posted by 71camaro:

Originally posted by lionlurker:
You know Cael redshirted a number of key guys, right?
Yes, PSU red-shirted 4 good Frosh and two who were Frosh starters last season.

Gives them all a year to get stronger and better acclimated to the college level.

We may have some losses next season, if one or more wrestlers take a shot at the Olympics. TBD.

Net either way, PSU should be able to fill in the roster with some impressive young wrestlers next season and be much more competitive again.

Don't forget about parity, gone are the days of repeats, three-peats and more, according to the theme of these announcers

Originally posted by nagromth:
Don't forget about parity, gone are the days of repeats, three-peats and more, according to the theme of these announcers

We will see.

Predicted a couple years ago that Ohio State would be a team that would be a contender. They have a ton of high school wrestling talent in-state. Plus they are close to the wrestling hotbed states of PA, NY and NJ.

All they needed was a coach who could coach, plus who could start to haul in more in-state talent and grab a few from neighboring states.

=======

That said, this looks like the year the rest of the teams would have to take their shot at the Team Title.

Expect PSU to reload very well next year. Barring injuries and assuming the incoming guys can live up to their expectations, PSU should be loading up to be highly competitive for several years to come.

Better enjoy it this year

because we'll go back on another run in wrestling starting next year.

You sure?

Not trying to be snarky but I see a lot of successful freshmen on that OSU line-up.

Re: You sure?

TOSU will be good next year but PSU should be loaded and ready to take back that #1 spot

Re: Yes

Add nico and Zain back into lineup, in addition to the #1 class Cael signed last year that all redshirted...Nolf, Nevills and Nickal should all be big contributors, add in Vincenzo Joseph who could contribute as true frosh and they add a ton of talent to Conoway, Gulibon, Beitz, McCuthcheon, Macintosh, Hammond and we are pretty dangerous at pretty much every weight class.

Re: You sure?

Originally posted by Cosmos:
Not trying to be snarky but I see a lot of successful freshmen on that OSU line-up.
Consider how PSU did this year in Dual Matches and in the Big Ten Tourney.

PSU had a good year, even though it was a down year, where we didn't have a complete "murderers' row" lineup.

Add in the extra talent at perhaps 5 or 6 weights and PSU will "potentially" be in better shape.

This season the team had a few weights that were manned by some good wrestlers, but they weren't as consistent as we've had when we in our peak National Champ years.

At some of those weights, we will have the current wrestlers back. They will have this year of experience. Plus we will have a stronger bench, with some who may become starters. A deeper more experienced bench should help PSU add extra points in critical matches and tournies, imho.

^^^this^^^

tOSU has their 3 awesome freshmen, Iowa has a solid freshman and 3 solid sophs. It only takes 1-2 injury misfortunes to really shake things up.

Re: Better enjoy it this year

We are going to be special again next year, but Ohio State is not going anywhere. Except for Logan Steiber they are very young. It's going to be a heck of a battle.

Re: Better enjoy it this year

except for a likely 4 time NAtional champ, that's almost like saying except for David Taylor. Steiber is a huge loss for them. Yes, they'll be good, but I think we will be better,

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT