ADVERTISEMENT

U17 worlds

Raney beats Saitiev first round! He is in the semis now along with Sanchez at 45kg and Munaretto at 51kg. Diakomihalis lost his 2nd round match and Miller lost in the quarters to Wagin from Germany. Raney was down 4-1 at the break but scored 9 straight in the second. He just keeps coming at you. I hate saying this but those boys would be game changers for Iowa. I sure hope they go to Illinois

Defending champ Khateri from Iran loses in the quarters to AZE at 60kg. Big upset

Last edited:
Munaretto wins and is into the finals

Raney loses to KGZ. Was down 12-6 and got pinned. Crazy that Saitiev won’t place and both Raney and the defending champion from Iran will be going for bronze.

Miller and Diakomihalis both got pulled into repechage so all 5 guys from today are still going.

Aslikyan and Dillard both win bronze. Sherlock takes 5th

Mocco wrestling for gold shortly

Reactions: danoftw
Raney beats Saitiev first round! He is in the semis now along with Sanchez at 45kg and Munaretto at 51kg. Diakomihalis lost his 2nd round match and Miller lost in the quarters to Wagin from Germany. Raney was down 4-1 at the break but scored 9 straight in the second. He just keeps coming at you. I hate saying this but those boys would be game changers for Iowa. I sure hope they go to Illinois

Defending champ Khateri from Iran loses in the quarters to AZE at 60kg. Big upset
If they go to Iowa the twins will have the offense beat out of them and replaced with the push, push, shove wait for the stall call technique that is the Iowa style.
As a wrestling fan I would much rather see what the Illinois staff could do with elite talent.

Reactions: lookleft goright
Mocco is a monster. We have any room for this guy. He could be better than his dad. Very bold but true statement. His dad was a scary man

Mocco is a monster. We have any room for this guy. He could be better than his dad. Very bold but true statement. His dad was a scary man
Why wouldn't we? He is at least a year behind Mirasola, and would have a RS and O-RS available to him. Gonna have a tough time beating out OSU with the family connection, but depends on whether dad is still strongly OSU.

Why wouldn't we? He is at least a year behind Mirasola, and would have a RS and O-RS available to him. Gonna have a tough time beating out OSU with the family connection, but depends on whether dad is still strongly OSU.
OKST family connection: one Merrill brother is on campus (class of 2024), and they'll be favored to land the other in 2026.

Mirasola is 2024, so 2 years ahead of Mocco.

OKST family connection: one Merrill brother is on campus (class of 2024), and they'll be favored to land the other in 2026.

Mirasola is 2024, so 2 years ahead of Mocco.

The math and circumstances seem to work at least. Something to watch over the next year.

Last edited:
Sanchez and Munnaretto win gold. Munnaretto beat Fred Bachmann who was representing Puerto Rico. Raney injury defaulted to 5th. Miller lost in the bronze match 7-2 and finished 5th. Diakomihalis took 3rd. Overall not a bad performance at all. 3 champs and 3 bronze. Hopefully Raney is not hurt too badly

Sanchez and Munnaretto win gold. Munnaretto beat Fred Bachmann who was representing Puerto Rico. Raney injury defaulted to 5th. Miller lost in the bronze match 7-2 and finished 5th. Diakomihalis took 3rd. Overall not a bad performance at all. 3 champs and 3 bronze. Hopefully Raney is not hurt too badly

Whoa, whoa whoa - “overall not a bad performance at all” ?????

We’re team champs baby!!!

So any future Lions in this U17 group? Munaretto might be a tough pull from Illinois though would love to get in the conversation. Obviously Miller = full court press. I am a huge fan of Dillard as well.

So any future Lions in this U17 group? Munaretto might be a tough pull from Illinois though would love to get in the conversation. Obviously Miller = full court press. I am a huge fan of Dillard as well.
I think Mocco is the one we need to go after. Fits decently timewise after Mirasola

Reactions: goldenanimal
I like Dillard too. Very tough and gritty. The other one is Mocco for me off of this team. He is a killer. Plus it helps his dad was a savage in his day. Munaretto could be a good play, if LL decides to go 133 later in his career which most likely will happen

Off of this team: Miller and Mocco.

Dillard is good, but not making the lineup if we land Blaze or Forrest.

We have U20 rep Desmond (2025) at 125 when Lilledahl outgrows the weight. Munaretto (2026) would be nice, but completely unnecessary. Better to wait another year or two for another 125.

If we're going after a guy with no obvious spot in the lineup, go for Aaron Stewart.

I would think Munaretto beats Desmond. He is a 2 time world champion. Do you think LL bumps to 133 eventually

I would think Munaretto beats Desmond. He is a 2 time world champion. Do you think LL bumps to 133 eventually
Maybe. It's not that clear. They've never faced each other, and their common opponent results (Seidel) are mixed. The one thing that stands out vs. Seidel: Munaretto got ridden out at Super 32.

Desmond took a major step forward this year. We'll see if Munaretto does the same this year.

I suspect Munaretto is a little better, but better enough to spend a roster spot with 3-4 years of overlap with Desmond + Lilledahl + Davis?

So I don't think he'll be a priority recruit. If he were 2028, different story.

In any case, I suspect Munaretto will stay in the midwest. He has relationships with O'Connor (Illinois), Davino (anOSU), and Mendoza (Missouri).

Maybe. It's not that clear. They've never faced each other, and their common opponent results (Seidel) are mixed. The one thing that stands out vs. Seidel: Munaretto got ridden out at Super 32.

Desmond took a major step forward this year. We'll see if Munaretto does the same this year.

I suspect Munaretto is a little better, but better enough to spend a roster spot with 3-4 years of overlap with Desmond + Lilledahl + Davis?

In any case, I suspect Munaretto will stay in the midwest. He has relationships with O'Connor (Illinois), Davino (anOSU), and Mendoza (Missouri).
Per Mark Hall, Penn State is in the midwest.

This makes sense. Someone said he liked Nebraska and Wisconsin for some reason.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT