ADVERTISEMENT

Transfers and the Portal

psulongago

Aug 29, 2001
On National signing day(s) remember how we waited, is the fax in, is the fax in, is the LOI signed. Once the documentation was completed we rested, we got our player for the duration of his career. Now none of it matters, players can move at any time. The fact they let Fields transfer and play immediately destroys the concept of the signed letter. Fields transferred because he wasn't good enough at Georgia.

Reactions: bdgan
On National signing day(s) remember how we waited, is the fax in, is the fax in, is the LOI signed. Once the documentation was completed we rested, we got our player for the duration of his career. Now none of it matters, players can move at any time. The fact they let Fields transfer and play immediately destroys the concept of the signed letter. Fields transferred because he wasn't good enough at Georgia.

Really? You may be right. I am sure we shall see.

I got the feeling Martell left because he felt terribly insulted, not fear of competition
Agree. He took it as the staff not being happy with him. Kid is a mercenary. He has committed and decommitted to schools since he was a fresh in high school

The portal seems to be a big advantage for the players right now as coaches adjust. However, when players start looking around and decide the grass isn’t any greener then what? Coaches now can choose to not take them back and now they are looking at FCS schools or non P5 teams. Coaches can also push kids to enter the portal so they can use their scholarship elsewhere. This will be a Harbaugh technique I’m sure. Coaches can then decide who to take back based on need leaving some kids with little options. It’s a double edge sword and I think it’s horrible for CFB.

I wonder if our players who have entered the portal, but haven't committed to a new program, are participating in winter workouts as members of the team. What about when spring practice starts? If players are participating in spring practice while looking for a new home, how do the coaches handle that in regards to the depth chart and the accompanying reps?

I wonder if our players who have entered the portal, but haven't committed to a new program, are participating in winter workouts as members of the team. What about when spring practice starts? If players are participating in spring practice while looking for a new home, how do the coaches handle that in regards to the depth chart and the accompanying reps?
Interesting question. I agree with the poster above that coaches are feeling this out. Some smart coach out there is likely using it as a try-out of sorts. Ex, kid who may or may not break through for PT goes in portal, participates in winter workouts and gets his next evaluation from coach in time to decide. If he performs and breaks through for likely substantial PT, he hears that and likely considers staying.

Yep, that is a good question. I would put my money on CJF not allowing the players in the portal to participate in Spring practice unless they re-commit to PSU by removing their names from the portal and CJF agreeing to take them back. There may be more to CJF taking them back than what the players themselves believe, as he may want their word that their free agent days are over. Who knows. And as CJF was looking to fill all the "open" scholarships there may be a time (not likely this year) when he can't take any back. i.e. in the coming years CJF may have the team up against the 85 limit and not be able to take some back. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, and what CJF has to say about it after Spring practice, as well as the timing as to when CJF may add a player from the portal. It would make sense for him to bring in any portal players before the start of Spring practice, but with classes already having started will the players brought in (if any) be allowed to participate in Spring practice? There seems to be plenty of room this year to get a couple Grad Transfers from outside the program and take back a few players that tested the portal....

Last edited:
The portal seems to be a big advantage for the players right now as coaches adjust. However, when players start looking around and decide the grass isn’t any greener then what? Coaches now can choose to not take them back and now they are looking at FCS schools or non P5 teams. Coaches can also push kids to enter the portal so they can use their scholarship elsewhere. This will be a Harbaugh technique I’m sure. Coaches can then decide who to take back based on need leaving some kids with little options. It’s a double edge sword and I think it’s horrible for CFB.
The portal probably hurts some kids chances of graduating. It probably encourages coaches to oversign because there's no way of knowing how many kids are leaving early. I'm not a fan.

I do not remember Tate ever competing against fields but what do i know

Reactions: 81b&w
So how long does the transfer portal last? If player "x" doesn't sign with another team by "y" date and reverts to dear old state - what is the "y" date?

So how long does the transfer portal last? If player "x" doesn't sign with another team by "y" date and reverts to dear old state - what is the "y" date?

It lasts until you transfer or you pull your name out.

Using Franklin’s recruiting description of a verbal is an engagement and LOI a marriage, then entering the portal is akin to asking for a separation with plans to divorce. I’m thinking JF is going to look at each specific circumstance but is not going to feel the need to take certain guys back

Reactions: 81b&w
Using Franklin’s recruiting description of a verbal is an engagement and LOI a marriage, then entering the portal is akin to asking for a separation with plans to divorce. I’m thinking JF is going to look at each specific circumstance but is not going to feel the need to take certain guys back

Well considering mariages dont mean anything now days, probably about time this happened too. Teach them early.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT