ADVERTISEMENT

Tropical Storm BARRY. [insert the face here]

Still nothing to write home about. A bit of a drizzle of rain at the moment. Much ado about nothing.

@Fac, any chance you can summarize the storm's impact to you, and to New Orleans? I read about the warnings and fears, but wasn't able to follow what happened over the weekend and early this week.

I live 22 miles west of New Orleans (9 miles west of the airport) in Destrehan. We had about 3 inches of rain on Wednesday (Barry hit land on Saturday). New Orleans, where I work) received 11+" Wednesday morning flooding the city streets during morning rush hour. I'm an early bird so I made it to work before the street flooding. Some co-workers got caught and had to sit it out in there cars before being able to move. One person got stuck on the down ramp to Poydras (near Superdome) for 3 hours before police were able to get them to back up the ramp to get back on I-10. She had to drive all the way to N.O. East before finding a ramp that wasn't flooded so she could turn around.
Very minor rain if any on Thursday and Friday here, although family and friends were calling and telling us the national story was that we were indulged in heavy rain.
The storm Barry brought heavy winds to my house knocking dead limbs from the neighbors trees into my yard as well as many leaves. Very little rain on Saturday and Sunday.
Off and on rain, as usual for hurricanes.

Back to the 11+" in the city. Many buildings had water on the first floor as and I sure the French Quarter and some residential houses had some flooding as well.
Barry's impact to me was very minimal.

Levee's held tight, however the Mississippi is high as the ships sit so high on the water as they pass. The river passes right next to Destrehan. The Bonnet Carre spillway is still open. That is a sight to see. It is located in the next town to me (Norco).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: Obliviax
Levee's held tight, however the Mississippi is high as the ships sit so high on the water as they pass. The river passes right next to Destrehan. The Bonnet Carre spillway is still open. That is a sight to see. It is located in the next town to me (Norco).

much appreciated, and glad that you were not impacted all that much by the storm.

I thought there were a lot of concerns about algae and fresh water creating problems when Bonnet Carre is opened. Perhaps that is an issue, but there wasn't any other options with all the water in the Mississippi.

much appreciated, and glad that you were not impacted all that much by the storm.

I thought there were a lot of concerns about algae and fresh water creating problems when Bonnet Carre is opened. Perhaps that is an issue, but there wasn't any other options with all the water in the Mississippi.

Thanks Tom.
The algae is a big issue and is impacting the shrimp, oyster and fishing industry in Mississippi and Louisiana.
Daughter's boyfriend's family has a camp in Dulac (Google it and see how close to the Gulf it is) and he says the water has been very cloudy/dirty and haven't had much luck fishing since April. Usually catch Redfish and Trout.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT