ADVERTISEMENT

Tua offered $1.5M to transfer to an SEC school

Online Persona

Feb 2, 2022
No rules! No mercy! https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...p&cvid=ee58660008ce4e3faeeda1e342e58585&ei=30

anchorman GIF

• Haha
Reactions: WeR0206
It’s open season for any of these kids and, in todays world, what’s the issue?
The issue IMO is that if they are all free agents every year with zero restrictions then college football will fall apart. You cannot run programs like that and how fun is it for fans if all of the star players get bought up by the same handful of teams that already get first pick coming out of HS. Now they get to also buy whichever players they want every year from all other teams? People will just stop caring.

The issue IMO is that if they are all free agents every year with zero restrictions then college football will fall apart. You cannot run programs like that and how fun is it for fans if all of the star players get bought up by the same handful of teams that already get first pick coming out of HS. Now they get to also buy whichever players they want every year from all other teams? People will just stop caring.
100% accurate assessment from this fan's perspective.

I wonder if it wasn’t Bama, considering they don't have a QB that Saban seems comfortable with. Which would be ironic considering he left Bama to play for Maryland.

I was going to ask if it was legal, but apparently nothing is against the rules now so, silly question.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
So you're saying that the more amateurs start acting like minor league professionals, the less people care.... weird.

Reactions: Online Persona
So you're saying that the more amateurs start acting like minor league professionals, the less people care.... weird.
The implication is that three or four schools with the most NIL money get every good player thus no other teams are competitive. Think now an OSU vs a MAC opponent and how uncompetitive those games are but just expand that to every team except a very small set. As a result you have a boring product.

Reactions: WV Bruno
The implication is that three or four schools with the most NIL money get every good player thus no other teams are competitive. Think now an OSU vs a MAC opponent and how uncompetitive those games are but just expand that to every team except a very small set. As a result you have a boring product.
It's already becoming boring. We know Georgia or Alabama will win most years. TCU as an underdog was fun until Georgia. Basically Georgia or Alabama always win it with superior talent unless Clemson or LSU has a magical season with a transcendental qb. And Ohio St always has Georgia and Alabama level talent but always chokes on the big stage.

Call me old fashioned. I used to think 18 year old kids went to college to get an education, learn a trade or vocation, get a good job, and make a life for themselves and their families. $ and greed is turning the college experience into the NFL. Just another page of the dumbing down of America.

Like so many things across our society, I believe the longer it takes for an individual or group to get anything in the direction of what they 'deserve' in return for what they uniquely provide, the larger the consequences for those in the earlier position to give. Sometimes this isn't the case (such as the Opioid epidemic, 2008 financial explosion, again in my opinion), but when 'what is owed' comes due, what is given/taken is much larger than originally expected....again just my thoughts...maybe my recent binging of Suits on Netflix had some impact on my opinion-ha ha.

It's already becoming boring. We know Georgia or Alabama will win most years. TCU as an underdog was fun until Georgia. Basically Georgia or Alabama always win it with superior talent unless Clemson or LSU has a magical season with a transcendental qb. And Ohio St always has Georgia and Alabama level talent but always chokes on the big stage.
Wait until the next CFP iteration. The regular season will end up losing a ton of meaning and will be less interesting. With the SEC and Big 10 positioning to contain every meaningful program and historical power, those conferences will fight to abolish automatic playoff bids and will try to take over all of the playoff spots. Franklin even said at media day that the Big 10's goal is to secure 6 playoff spots. The SEC will try to do the same. If that happens losing regular season games won't mean much as the perceived strength of the conference will assure the top programs still get into the playoffs. This will remove one of the things that has made CFB great for an eternity, every game being important because one or two losses can eliminate title hopes. In the not too distant future that's not going to be true and only the playoff games are going to have meaning.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Wait until the next CFP iteration. The regular season will end up losing a ton of meaning and will be less interesting. With the SEC and Big 10 positioning to contain every meaningful program and historical power, those conferences will fight to abolish automatic playoff bids and will try to take over all of the playoff spots. Franklin even said at media day that the Big 10's goal is to secure 6 playoff spots. The SEC will try to do the same. If that happens losing regular season games won't mean much as the perceived strength of the conference will assure the top programs still get into the playoffs. This will remove one of the things that has made CFB great for an eternity, every game being important because one or two losses can eliminate title hopes. In the not too distant future that's not going to be true and only the playoff games are going to have meaning.
Mediocre records for the top teams will be much more common because all of the best teams are getting funneled into 2 leagues. Those 2 leagues may end up playing 10 conference games. The best playing the best means more losses amongst the top tier.

Mediocre records for the top teams will be much more common because all of the best teams are getting funneled into 2 leagues. Those 2 leagues may end up playing 10 conference games. The best playing the best means more losses amongst the top tier.
That's one thing that doesn't get discussed enough. Are these top programs and their fans that are used to 0 and 1 loss seasons ready for a world where they have 3-4 losses every year due to playing more difficult schedules? Are they still going to lose their minds and try to fire coaches when that happens? The days of annually going 12-0 or 11-1 will likely come to an end in the future, unless the conference decides to stack the deck and create weak schedules for their top programs to ensure those programs get into the playoffs every season, which is a possibility. For years I've been saying the Big 10 shoots itself in the foot with their scheduling while the SEC has taken steps to position their schools for the playoffs. I think the Big 10 has wised up and seems to be making the right moves starting in 2024. Schools have as well, PSU is doesn't have big time P5 non conference opponents on the future schedules, likely by design because those games aren't necessary to make the playoffs for the Big 10 and SEC. Once we hit the superconference era the conferences may have no choice to have all of the top teams play each other because the TV networks will demand it due to their investments in the conferences. This is the aspect of realignment I do not like, the conferences are selling out to the TV networks who will be the primary decision makers.

Reactions: Online Persona
Call me old fashioned. I used to think 18 year old kids went to college to get an education, learn a trade or vocation, get a good job, and make a life for themselves and their families. $ and greed is turning the college experience into the NFL. Just another page of the dumbing down of America.
1975 called and wanted to know when you will be home for dinner. Div 1 Power 5 football players are not student athletes. PSU is a trade school for them and their trade is football. And it has been their trade since they were about 11 when they are already over 6 feet.

That's one thing that doesn't get discussed enough. Are these top programs and their fans that are used to 0 and 1 loss seasons ready for a world where they have 3-4 losses every year due to playing more difficult schedules? Are they still going to lose their minds and try to fire coaches when that happens? The days of annually going 12-0 or 11-1 will likely come to an end in the future, unless the conference decides to stack the deck and create weak schedules for their top programs to ensure those programs get into the playoffs every season, which is a possibility. For years I've been saying the Big 10 shoots itself in the foot with their scheduling while the SEC has taken steps to position their schools for the playoffs. I think the Big 10 has wised up and seems to be making the right moves starting in 2024. Schools have as well, PSU is doesn't have big time P5 non conference opponents on the future schedules, likely by design because those games aren't necessary to make the playoffs for the Big 10 and SEC. Once we hit the superconference era the conferences may have no choice to have all of the top teams play each other because the TV networks will demand it due to their investments in the conferences. This is the aspect of realignment I do not like, the conferences are selling out to the TV networks who will be the primary decision makers.
Bama and Georgia will keep winning regardless of how big the SEC gets. No stopping them barring a horrible Saban successor hire. Texas an OU will see a drop off because they will lose to Bama and Georgia every year they play them.

1975 called and wanted to know when you will be home for dinner. Div 1 Power 5 football players are not student athletes. PSU is a trade school for them and their trade is football. And it has been their trade since they were about 11 when they are already over 6 feet.
You have a very narrow view of life. There is one beyond sports and athletics. Perhaps you have forgotten that Paterno wanted his players as successful in life as on the field. I can see you don't comprehend the meaning of "success with honor".

That's the current reality but it doesn't mean we have to like it.

Reactions: dailybuck777
You have a very narrow view of life. There is one beyond sports and athletics. Perhaps you have forgotten that Paterno wanted his players as successful in life as on the field. I can see you don't comprehend the meaning of "success with honor".
That was Paterno's vision and he was able to do it at PSU for the most part during his prime (pre 2000) but it does not exist anymore at this point. Sure there are football players who get degrees but these elite 4 star and 5 star guys are going to school for football and to make the NFL. They are now getting paid. PSU is a means to an end, they are deciding to come to PSU because they like the football program not because they have a great Philosophy department or business school. They are athletes first not students first. Their trade is football. Like it or not that is the world we are in. Has nothing to do with a broad or narrow view of life.

That was Paterno's vision and he was able to do it at PSU for the most part during his prime (pre 2000) but it does not exist anymore at this point. Sure there are football players who get degrees but these elite 4 star and 5 star guys are going to school for football and to make the NFL. They are now getting paid. PSU is a means to an end, they are deciding to come to PSU because they like the football program not because they have a great Philosophy department or business school. They are athletes first not students first. Their trade is football. Like it or not that is the world we are in. Has nothing to do with a broad or narrow view of life.
The point I was trying to make is that if this is reality, the future scares the hell out of me. Knowledge is power and if we are shortchanging it, we are headed down the path of the Roman empire.

Bama and Georgia will keep winning regardless of how big the SEC gets. No stopping them barring a horrible Saban successor hire. Texas an OU will see a drop off because they will lose to Bama and Georgia every year they play them.
Nothing lasts forever. Nebraska probably thought they'd keep winning forever during the 90s too. Eventually Bama and Georgia will falter and someone new will step up to fill the void.

Nothing lasts forever. Nebraska probably thought they'd keep winning forever during the 90s too. Eventually Bama and Georgia will falter and someone new will step up to fill the void.
They absolutely did. It's why they fired coaches for only getting 9 wins. It's a downward spiral of unrealistic expectations.

Difference is that Nebraska is in a place with limited D1 talent plus they didn't adapt to the passing game.

Yes, things can change and the biggest variable being the coach but I don't see Bama or Georgia declining like a Nebraska. But perhaps with Saban moving on there is a window of opportunity. However, they will pay top dollar for a proven winner coach. Georgia will have the same scenario once Smart leaves but that could be in 20 years.

Difference is that Nebraska is in a place with limited D1 talent plus they didn't adapt to the passing game.

Yes, things can change and the biggest variable being the coach but I don't see Bama or Georgia declining like a Nebraska. But perhaps with Saban moving on there is a window of opportunity. However, they will pay top dollar for a proven winner coach. Georgia will have the same scenario once Smart leaves but that could be in 20 years.
OK, then use Texas as your example. UT had nearly every advantage possible (huge $, fertile recruiting state, little in state competition from A&M, etc.) and still couldn't compete at the highest level. Bama and UGA will fall eventually, the only questions are how far down and how long will they stay there.

OK, then use Texas as your example. UT had nearly every advantage possible (huge $, fertile recruiting state, little in state competition from A&M, etc.) and still couldn't compete at the highest level. Bama and UGA will fall eventually, the only questions are how far down and how long will they stay there.

Texas, as a state, is probably a touch overrated as far as being as fertile as one is led to believe, but historically Oklahoma has always recruited well there and Nebraska did during their best era ('70-'01). Texas best success was the 60s and outside of the Vince Young era, they have mostly been overrated and underachieving.

The biggest difference in the Bama run, the UGA run, and even OSU since '12 is that these teams have an invitational playoff now. Prior to this, you had the BCS, which only allowed 2 teams. A lot of 3s and 4s from those days might have made some noise. Before that, it took a combination of luck and voter credibility to get to #1.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT