ADVERTISEMENT

Two top picks for CFP championship are Oregon and OSU. Why have things changed with QB?

SLion

May 29, 2001
Both teams took QB transfers in off-season and first year running offense. This used to be seen as a weakness even if they are talented. Trying to understand why this has changed. Is it a philosophy difference, plug and play? Why is PSU unable to get QB play at this level. If we lose our starter, it becomes a shi& show. I understand OSU has superior weapons on O but I would think QBs still need time in system.

Both teams took QB transfers in off-season and first year running offense. This used to be seen as a weakness even if they are talented. Trying to understand why this has changed. Is it a philosophy difference, plug and play? Why is PSU unable to get QB play at this level. If we lose our starter, it becomes a shi& show. I understand OSU has superior weapons on O but I would think QBs still need time in system.
Great/elite coaches are going to build the system around the QB not make the QB fit the system

OSU has been a machine for 20 years. If they had gotten Cam Ward, they would probably be the unquestioned favorite. Howard is considered just mobile enough that they hope he does more than McCord did as a runner without losing much on the passing end. Their OL is "championship suspect", otherwise it's all about roster management for them.

Oregon is flashing NIL prowess. I, personally, am not sold on them being this #2esqe powerhouse yet, but Lanning has recruited excellent and they've filled their holes in the portal. They need Gabriel to be Nix pt 2, year 6 or they will have to play his successor early (although I don't think it comes to that).

We were billed similarly with Allar coming in last year. Many projections had us splitting OSU and Michigan games. We just couldn't beat the #1 and #5-7 teams.

OSU has been a machine for 20 years. If they had gotten Cam Ward, they would probably be the unquestioned favorite. Howard is considered just mobile enough that they hope he does more than McCord did as a runner without losing much on the passing end. Their OL is "championship suspect", otherwise it's all about roster management for them.

Oregon is flashing NIL prowess. I, personally, am not sold on them being this #2esqe powerhouse yet, but Lanning has recruited excellent and they've filled their holes in the portal. They need Gabriel to be Nix pt 2, year 6 or they will have to play his successor early (although I don't think it comes to that).

We were billed similarly with Allar coming in last year. Many projections had us splitting OSU and Michigan games. We just couldn't beat the #1 and #5-7 teams.
Uncle Phil's funding is off the charts for Oregon. He's making sure they get whoever they go after hard

Reactions: lazydave841
That is why oregon will dominate the B1G in the coming years. Who else has an Uncle Phil?
I don't know about an "Uncle Phil" but OSU seems to be getting tons of money for their roster, recruiting and the transfer portal. They're getting it from somewhere - someone

I don't know about an "Uncle Phil" but OSU seems to be getting tons of money for their roster, recruiting and the transfer portal. They're getting it from somewhere - someone
They are, but there is not one huge benefactor as in the case of Oregon. With the recent changes, money now rules CFB. I just think that Oregon wins in the long run.

Back to the original post. There is no guarantee that either OSU or Oregon will have good QB play this year. They just knew that their roster at the position wasn't good, so they went elsewhere. Poor recruiting or development? Yes, OSU has the same issues, even with loads of 5 stars.

Systems and really good talent elsewhere can hide a bad QB but in big games, between two adults, the warts usually become exposed. I believe that our warts last year were poor scheme to overcome a good defense loading the box, the no turnover policy drilled into Allar's head and average WR play. I don't think it was Allar's ability.

We have to make OSU QB beat us this year. He has to make decisions. Last year he didn't have to make decisions as it was when it doubt throw it up high to one guy, and he and our offensive ineptitude beat us.

Should we just skip the games and award the trophy?

Did you watch OSU's bowl game last year? Starter was out and they ran up, I believe, 6 points.

Did you watch OSU's bowl game last year? Starter was out and they ran up, I believe, 6 points.
Right..so why is Will Howard or Dillon Gabriel, with exactly zero snaps in their current Os, suddenly the top CFP title contenders?

Right..so why is Will Howard or Dillon Gabriel, with exactly zero snaps in their current Os, suddenly the top CFP title contenders?

Because somebody has to be.

Although UGA and Bama return their QBs. UGA could be dangerous if players emerge (best recruiting over 3-4 years, I think they will be ok). Bama is replacing Saban; that alone is huge.

And I guess that's the question...if not them then who? Georgia would make sense but then who do they play for the title. It's not like anyone is realistically picking anyone other than an SEC or Big Ten team...should they be believing in us? Many here don't.

Could be that their teams are loaded with first and second round draft picks.

FSU plays Clemson. Clemson winning the conference hinges on them beating FSU or FSU losing another conference game. Clemson likely loses to UGA week 1. Then if both win out, they play again.

It would be more plausible for FSU to get in as an 12-1 and Clemson to backdoor in at 10-3, but it's just seems improbable today. That also means Clemson not being harpooned for a ccg loss.

Because somebody has to be.

Although UGA and Bama return their QBs. UGA could be dangerous if players emerge (best recruiting over 3-4 years, I think they will be ok). Bama is replacing Saban; that alone is huge.
I truly believe that a team will come out of nowhere and make it to CFP. GA is a solid pick. PSU will probably lose somewhere along way and again to OSU. ND schedule is absolute crap this year. FSU is no good and TAM & USC are rebuilding. What a joke. I think BC with Castellanos and Bill O'Brien are prime for some upsets. I also think Pry might be ready to damage ACC though not quite ready for ACC champ yet.

I truly believe that a team will come out of nowhere and make it to CFP. GA is a solid pick. PSU will probably lose somewhere along way and again to OSU. ND schedule is absolute crap this year. FSU is no good and TAM & USC are rebuilding. What a joke. I think BC with Castellanos and Bill O'Brien are prime for some upsets. I also think Pry might be ready to damage ACC though not quite ready for ACC champ yet.
Agree about a team coming out of nowhere and making the Playoffs especially with it expanding to 12 teams. I think Oregon and OSU are locks to make it with PSU having about an 80% chance. Michigan is the big question mark with basically a whole new offense. I give them about a 50% chance. I have the NC game with an OSU-Texas matchup with OSU winning it all.

USC, though, is the team I'm keeping an eye on. If Lincoln Riley can ever figure out how to field a decent defense, WATCH OUT! They can throw a monkey wrench into all of these early CF predictions

FSU plays Clemson. Clemson winning the conference hinges on them beating FSU or FSU losing another conference game. Clemson likely loses to UGA week 1. Then if both win out, they play again.

It would be more plausible for FSU to get in as an 12-1 and Clemson to backdoor in at 10-3, but it's just seems improbable today. That also means Clemson not being harpooned for a ccg loss.
There's definitely scenarios but...man I'd be shocked if the SEC/Big Ten don’t combine for 8...that leaves ACC champ, Big XII champ, G5 team plus one spot likely ND or...I'd go Big XII 2 over ACC 2 but maybe Big Ten/SEC 9

Arizona and Virginia Tech might be the sleeper team if we're not counting Iowa due to their schedule

There's definitely scenarios but...man I'd be shocked if the SEC/Big Ten don’t combine for 8...that leaves ACC champ, Big XII champ, G5 team plus one spot likely ND or...I'd go Big XII 2 over ACC 2 but maybe Big Ten/SEC 9

And we could end up a bunch of 3 loss teams making 1-10 cut and dry and comparing a 3 loss Missou to a 2 loss Clemson for #12.

And we could end up a bunch of 3 loss teams making 1-10 cut and dry and comparing a 3 loss Missou to a 2 loss Clemson for #12.
Multiple loss B1G and SEC teams should be given strong consideration over teams with weak schedules like Notre Dame who could end up with maybe only one or - at most - 2 losses. If that should happen, it will be hilarious to listen to their whining as they continue to refuse to join a conference. Phuck those a-holes

Multiple loss B1G and SEC teams should be given strong consideration over teams with weak schedules like Notre Dame who could end up with maybe only one or - at most - 2 losses. If that should happen, it will be hilarious to listen to their whining as they continue to refuse to join a conference. Phuck those a-holes

I agree 100%. And with these huge leagues now, the potential for chaos exists with multiple 1 and 2 loss teams with very little overlap in who played who.

The argument will be there and it will be strong.

I agree 100%. And with these huge leagues now, the potential for chaos exists with multiple 1 and 2 loss teams with very little overlap in who played who.

The argument will be there and it will be strong.
You mean like having 10 leagues with very little overlap and selecting 2 or 4 teams by eye test?

it will be better tho….but eye test will remain a part of the selection. Just more of it than would have been with 5 power conferences.

You mean like having 10 leagues with very little overlap and selecting 2 or 4 teams by eye test?

it will be better tho….but eye test will remain a part of the selection. Just more of it than would have been with 5 power conferences.
Most definitely. It will give teams like 2017 PSU - with that heartbreaking 4th quarter collapse against OSU - a second chance. One bad quarter should not totally eliminate a team. They were every bit as good as OSU that year and would have been included in a 12-team Playoff

Reactions: Cowbell Man
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT