ADVERTISEMENT

UConn-Purdue averaged 14.8 million viewers, fewer than women's title game for first time

Pretty amazing. Who'd have guess that?

SC has some pretty interesting stars and UConn has that gal they call "Buckets" as well. I actually enjoyed the woman's games as it was a more pure form of basketball. Geno had a great point when he said something along the lines of only 60% of NBA basketball players are great players, the rest are just great athletes. Every women player is a great basketball player. (OK, except for the 6-7 center from South Carolina).

We'll see if this sustains. But no only is this a great thing for women's ball but it is a red flag for men's. I used to LOVE March Madness but since kids started going into the NBA early, and now with xfers, I simply don't know who they are. Aside from Edey, I didn't know a single player in the final four. But I knew about Clark from last year. I do wonder about the fact that it was after the eclipse as I didn't watch because I was exhausted after the full day and went to bed early. Secondarily, the game started at 9:20 pm and didn't end until 11:30 ish EST. About 45% of the USA lives in EST.

Last edited:
People watched to see Clark. Geno’s statement is laughable. What little I watched, I saw players who were too one hand dominant, poor vision, and robotic in play. More than I see with the men. Clark was the exception. I believe Clark will improve WNBA attendance which is about 6000 (18000 for men) people per game. I hope I am wrong, but I feel the college game will go back to pre-Clark viewing. Would love to be proved wrong.

Well, the game was on TBS and not CBS. I didn't watch it because I don't have cable.
Got home late due to eclipse traffic jams everywhere. Put on CBS…..not on. Checked ESPN……nothing. Figured I missed it. Did some stuff around house, got online to see who won…..and saw that it started at 9:20 and was on TNT. By the time I got it on it was in the second half.🤷🏾‍♂️

Link
I must say I am happy for the women’s game. I hope more girls will play the sport. It is so important for kids to play any sport.

Almost 50% of men's basketball players entered the portal in the last few weeks. The top players are being paid 7 figures. I'm shocked that anyone watched. It's a pickup basketball league, at best.

Women's bball is more of an amateur sport, outside of the Caitlin Clarks

Reactions: PSU&Trout
Got home late due to eclipse traffic jams everywhere. Put on CBS…..not on. Checked ESPN……nothing. Figured I missed it. Did some stuff around house, got online to see who won…..and saw that it started at 9:20 and was on TNT. By the time I got it on it was in the second half.🤷🏾‍♂️

Yeah, putting it on a minor channel like TNT didn’t help. I also went to CBS and ESPN first before realizing it was TNT.

Also the matchup was less than interesting to casual fans nationwide. Two relatively small schools that aren’t really traditional national ‘brands’. (Yeah, I know UConn has won several titles recently but really you almost never hear about them during the regular season. They play in the lousy Big East against DePaul, Creighton, and Seton Hall. Even with all their success they generally aren’t seen nationally like Duke, Carolina, Kentucky, etc.)

Yeah, putting it on a minor channel like TNT didn’t help. I also went to CBS and ESPN first before realizing it was TNT.

Also the matchup was less than interesting to casual fans nationwide. Two relatively small schools that aren’t really traditional national ‘brands’. (Yeah, I know UConn has won several titles recently but really you almost never hear about them during the regular season. They play in the lousy Big East against DePaul, Creighton, and Seton Hall. Even with all their success they generally aren’t seen nationally like Duke, Carolina, Kentucky, etc.)
Terrible tv markets. New England vs Purdue.

Reactions: bison13 and psu00
Terrible tv markets. New England vs Purdue.
The first few rounds of the Tournament have become almost like a national holiday and is at a time when very little of importance is happening in the sports world. Therefore, those games are able to overcome the nameless faces on almost every college team these days. However, the anonymity of almost all of these college teams, along with the ridiculous starting time and the channel on which the game is broadcast, has to have a negative effect on the final game.

Back in the day, college teams stayed together for so many years and were so well-known that many of them even developed nicknames like Phi Slamma Jamma, the Runnin' Rebs, the Flying Illini, the Fab Five, etc. The rosters of the 1982 UNC team, the mid-80s G-town and Houston teams, the late 80s and early 90s Duke teams, the early 90s Michigan teams, etc, were so well known. You just don't have that anymore.

It is getting kinda crazy to find sports on TV these days. You have to push instead of pull. In other words, sports used to be pushed to you and it was impossible to NOT know what was on and when. Today with hundreds of channels and streaming, it is tough to find (even if you know) an event is on. Often, it just isn't worth it. Last night, for example, at 10pm I found the US women's soccer team playing Canada in some kind of championship game. I had no idea it was being played. It ended up being a great game. Canada got a late penalty kick goal on a very soft call. USA won in penalty kicks.

The "SheBelieves" cup final in Columbus Ohio. It was good to watch as a lead into the summer olympics this July.

The first few rounds of the Tournament have become almost like a national holiday and is at a time when very little of importance is happening in the sports world. Therefore, those games are able to overcome the nameless faces on almost every college team these days. However, the anonymity of almost all of these college teams, along with the ridiculous starting time and the channel on which the game is broadcast, has to have a negative effect on the final game.

Back in the day, college teams stayed together for so many years and were so well-known that many of them even developed nicknames like Phi Slamma Jamma, the Runnin' Rebs, the Flying Illini, the Fab Five, etc. The rosters of the 1982 UNC team, the mid-80s G-town and Houston teams, the late 80s and early 90s Duke teams, the early 90s Michigan teams, etc, were so well known. You just don't have that anymore.
Agreed....but I'd add name recognition. The good players are gone to the NBA when most fans are just starting to know who they are. If it isn't PSU, I am curious about a player. That is what Caitlin Clark did. She got really famous last year and became a superstar. So this year, she was the draw. There wasn't a college player, men's, outside of Edey, that I knew.

Link
I must say I am happy for the women’s game. I hope more girls will play the sport. It is so important for kids to play any sport.

Those are fantastic numbers for the women's game, but I think it's a one-off. Caitlin Clark versus unbeaten South Carolina was a great storyline which won't be seen again soon.

As for the men's game, I think a number of factors were in play as others have pointed out. As good as UConn is, they're not a hot television ticket and watching them blow out one opponent after another does not make for gripping entertainment.

That said, the television ratings for this game were actually up a bit from last year, which isn't saying a lot since in recent years the viewer trend is definitely down. Even with that, however, last year's NCAA championship, a snoozer with San Diego State served up to UConn, was still the most-watched basketball game of the year, surpassing any of the NBA finals games.

But I agree, the landscape of the college game has changed so much, and unless you really follow a team and are a big fan, it's hard to get excited. Also, yes, the 9:20 tip in the East sucks, but it's been that way for a long time.

Reactions: bison13 and LMTLION
Those are fantastic numbers for the women's game, but I think it's a one-off. Caitlin Clark versus unbeaten South Carolina was a great storyline which won't be seen again soon.

As for the men's game, I think a number of factors were in play as others have pointed out. As good as UConn is, they're not a hot television ticket and watching them blow out one opponent after another does not make for gripping entertainment.

That said, the television ratings for this game were actually up a bit from last year, which isn't saying a lot since in recent years the viewer trend is definitely down. Even with that, however, last year's NCAA championship, a snoozer with San Diego State served up to UConn, was still the most-watched basketball game of the year, surpassing any of the NBA finals games.

But I agree, the landscape of the college game has changed so much, and unless you really follow a team and are a big fan, it's hard to get excited. Also, yes, the 9:20 tip in the East sucks, but it's been that way for a long time.
All good points. I know there isn't much that can be done about it but both the NBA and NHL championship series are played in June. North of the Mason Dixon, the last thing I want to do it watch sports when we've been waiting for good weather for six months. Both the regular season and the expanded playoff formats are crazy long. It is like having to eat cheesecake for breakfast, lunch and dinner for a week. The first few bites were great but by the time you get to the end, you'd rather eat a simple ham sandwich.

Last edited:
All good points. I know there isn't much that can be done about it but both the NBA and NHL championship series are played in June. North of the Mason Dixson, the last thing I want to do it watch sports when we've been waiting for good weather for six months. Both the regular season and the expanded playoff formats are crazy long. It is like having to eat cheesecake for breakfast, lunch and dinner for a week. The first few bites were great but by the time you get to the end, you'd rather eat a simple ham sandwich.
As a huge hockey fan, I have to admit that even I'm tired of the playoffs by the time the Final series starts. Two months to decide a champion is way too long and it's absurd for a winter sport to end in the middle of June or later.

I guess people like the women's game better. I don't begrudge them. To each his own. I'm the freak that only watched the men's final.

Agreed....but I'd add name recognition. The good players are gone to the NBA when most fans are just starting to know who they are. If it isn't PSU, I am curious about a player. That is what Caitlin Clark did. She got really famous last year and became a superstar. So this year, she was the draw. There wasn't a college player, men's, outside of Edey, that I knew.

You did not know about Armondo Baycott?

Reactions: GSPMax
As a huge hockey fan, I have to admit that even I'm tired of the playoffs by the time the Final series starts. Two months to decide a champion is way too long and it's absurd for a winter sport to end in the middle of June or later.
And playing every other night for two months is demanding a ton of time from fans. And as Obli pointed out….. not in May and June.

And playing every other night for two months is demanding a ton of time from fans. And as Obli pointed out….. not in May and June.
Back in the 70s, there actually were byes in the NHL playoffs for the best teams and the first series for all of the other teams were best of threes. Even into the 80s, the first round of the playoffs only were best of fives. The NHL and NBA never are going to go back to best of five series because those games mean too much money. God, the NBA even has play-in games now just to get into the playoffs.

• Angry
Reactions: The Spin Meister
nope. I don't pay attention during the regular season with the exception of PSU. So I'll see a few PSU games and against their opponents. But watching UConn during the regular season is like watching Elon play St. Johns. I just don't care.

It's funny that you mentioned him, because I saw him in a commercial on Monday night. I watched UNC a lot this past season, so that is one of the few teams in which I knew a lot of their players.

I didn't watch UConn one time this past regular season and didn't even know about their tall center until the tournament.

And next year they will go back to having nobody watch. Caitlin Clark was the draw.
tldr...here is the only line from the article you need.

Viewership for the men's increased by around 129,000 — from 14.694 million last year to 14.823 million, Nielsen said.
The viewership for the women's final shot up from 9.915 million last year to 18.867 million this year, the company said

The average WNBA regular season ratings are 505K viewers...playoffs is 728K.
For the ladies in the championship game, that is the most fans that will ever watch them by more than 10X.

I have nothing against women's sports, but I am vehemently opposed to the whining about compensation. Women are 51% of the country. If women cared about watching women's sports, they'd be making much more than the men, because women drive a much greater percentage of household spending. Unfortunately, they do not, and in fact, women tend to prefer watching men's sports, because.....wait for it....women too, would rather watch the highest level and those with the most capability...shocking!!!

Well, the game was on TBS and not CBS. I didn't watch it because I don't have cable.
Yep, the NCAA believed they could make deals to put the game on cable and everyone would still watch. Glad they look somewhat foolish.

And I hope the NFL Thursday games on Amazon Prime are so low watched that they $hit can that idea as well.......

All good points. I know there isn't much that can be done about it but both the NBA and NHL championship series are played in June. North of the Mason Dixon, the last thing I want to do it watch sports when we've been waiting for good weather for six months. Both the regular season and the expanded playoff formats are crazy long. It is like having to eat cheesecake for breakfast, lunch and dinner for a week. The first few bites were great but by the time you get to the end, you'd rather eat a simple ham sandwich.

Agreed...and that's a great analogy at the end!

I started following the NBA as a kid in the 60s and was a big fan of the Bill Russell Celtics.

Loved the game through the 80s and 90s: Bird...the Showtime Lakers...the Bad Boy Pistons...and the amazing run of MJ and the Bulls.

I continued to follow the league well into the Tim Duncan era, in part because one of my sons was a basketball junkie and big Spurs fan.

And then several years ago when the NBA stopped playing D and its stars were pale imitations of legends like Russell, Bird, Magic, and Jordan, the appeal wore off.

The final straw was the blatant politicization of the game (and other professional sports), sanctioned by the NBA commissioner himself following the George Floyd incident. I was, like, OK, deal me out. I've paid zero attention since then and don't miss it at all.

All great and valid points mentioned in this thread. The men’s game being on cable and not starting until almost 9:30 PM on the East Coast along with two non-blue blood or underdog type teams playing, definitely held back the men’s viewership. Even so it did slightly increase. On the women’s side, not only the obvious Caitlin Clark viewership increase, but definitely a case of a good versus evil type with her going against South Carolina and their undefeated record as well as being on network TV at a reasonable time where no other sports were really taking place.

Yep, the NCAA believed they could make deals to put the game on cable and everyone would still watch. Glad they look somewhat foolish.
How so? The ratings were higher this season (for a game on cable) than for last season (game was on network TV, CBS).

Agreed...and that's a great analogy at the end!

I started following the NBA as a kid in the 60s and was a big fan of the Bill Russell Celtics.

Loved the game through the 80s and 90s: Bird...the Showtime Lakers...the Bad Boy Pistons...and the amazing run of MJ and the Bulls.

I continued to follow the league well into the Tim Duncan era, in part because one of my sons was a basketball junkie and big Spurs fan.

And then several years ago when the NBA stopped playing D and its stars were pale imitations of legends like Russell, Bird, Magic, and Jordan, the appeal wore off.

The final straw was the blatant politicization of the game (and other professional sports), sanctioned by the NBA commissioner himself following the George Floyd incident. I was, like, OK, deal me out. I've paid zero attention since then and don't miss it at all.
Exactly how it went for me. I haven't watched an NBA game in 10 years. Hard to understand why people that wouldn't have completed high school believe their political insights warrent being pushed to the fans they have due to their abilites on a basketall court.

My favorite time of year...when the kids were younger I'd watch all night as doom as they went to bed. Now it's 7pm until I'm too tired lol.

All great and valid points mentioned in this thread. The men’s game being on cable and not starting until almost 9:30 PM on the East Coast along with two non-blue blood or underdog type teams playing, definitely held back the men’s viewership. Even so it did slightly increase. On the women’s side, not only the obvious Caitlin Clark viewership increase, but definitely a case of a good versus evil type with her going against South Carolina and their undefeated record as well as being on network TV at a reasonable time where no other sports were really taking place.
UConn is a blue blood, now 6 NCs in 25 years but they don't draw like a Duke or UNC or Kansas or Kentucky.

As for the women's game garnering higher ratings than the men's game, that is mostly Clark driven plus not a ton of interest in UConn and Purdue nationally.

UCONN is absolutely a blue blood. More titles than Duke, Kansas and Indiana. Currently tied with UNC at 3rd most with 6. Do they move the ratings needle? Probably not, but they have been the best basketball program in the country period over the last 25 years, and it’s not particularly close.

UCONN is absolutely a blue blood. More titles than Duke, Kansas and Indiana. Currently tied with UNC at 3rd most with 6. Do they move the ratings needle? Probably not, but they have been the best basketball program in the country period over the last 25 years, and it’s not particularly close.
The Kenpom era spans the last 28 seasons, and UConn is at 10th in his program rankings over that span (although this season hasn't been incorporated yet)...so, I definitely wouldn't say it's not close.

UConn has all of the titles and has really gotten the job done when they've had a great teams, but there have definitely been much more consistent programs during this era. This will be UConn's 8th top 10 season, and they won the title in 6 of them. Duke on the other hand has been in the top 10 in 23 of these seasons. UConn missed the tourney 9 times, whereas Kansas hasn't missed it, Duke missed once, etc. Duke's median season is 5th, Kansas 7th, UConn 22nd. Really comes down to if you value the 6 titles and the mediocore seasons that go with them, or the consistency year over year.

Uconn is a very good program but like you said they don’t move the needle, Blue Bloods move the needle as well. How many uconn fans do you see outside of the northeast? Blue Bloods fans are all over the country.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT