ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE: Masshole shamefully deletes fb post. Keith Masser shares story on facebook about Joe Paterno

And how many of them chair the Penn State Board of Trustees? It seems to me that when you hold such a position you are not like the rest of us "common" men and women. You must be circumspect in many ways. You are, or should be, held to a higher standard. This served no purpose but to further divide a Penn State community which is already divided enough. It is unfortunate, but it is what we have come to expect from the leadership of this University. Some will debate whether Joe Paterno has one legacy or two, but Mr. Masser and his November, 2011 cronies have only one, and it is not what they think it is.

Speaking of guys who need to be more circumspect given their position (multiple posts a day from this dude!!):

https://www.facebook.com/barackobama

Seriously --- Keith Masser probably has like 100 facebook friends. Nobody cares. And he's entitled to have an opinion.

He may have. No doubt that some PSU BoT members had access to the Freeh Report's findings before its official release. For instance, I recall this post being made on BWI during the late evening hours of Wednesday 27-June-2012:

"I have some hypothetical questions for all of you. What if, on a very high level, Joe was aware in 98 of the JS investigation? Furthermore, what if JVP initiated JS's separation months before the 98 investigation began, thus confirming that his decision had nothing to do with the investigation? What if Spanier, Schultz and Curley conferred with legal counsel in 2001 as well as with JVP before deciding on a plan of action? I'd like to know your knee-jerk reactions to these hypothetical situations."

Hypothetical for you: What if law enforcement, State DA, Local DA and Child Youth Services had accusations on Sandusky and did nothing? Is Paterno more culpable than law enforcement?

It's amazing how far Masser and others will go to keep us from the truth. Why are they so opposed to making Freeh's documents available?

We know that McQueary went to his dad and Dr. Dranov. Were they too worried about their legacies to report this outside the university? What about TSM? What about the DPW & CPS in 1998? Were they all protecting their legacies? Everything is so simple in Masser's mind.

And FWIW, Joe never wanted TSM kids in the Lasch building to begin with. The BOT approved that in spite of Paterno's objection.

Why is the OP reposting this article today, in the middle of football season, the day before a game?

He can post what he wants when he wants, but it is still a Fellian d!ck move.

Hypothetical for you: What if law enforcement, State DA, Local DA and Child Youth Services had accusations on Sandusky and did nothing? Is Paterno more culpable than law enforcement?

If that can be proven, then those entities should be punished to the extent possible.

AS I've said before, JoePa is not "legally culpable" for anything.

Penn State Board of Trustees chairman Keith Masser shared a story on facebook about former Penn State coach Joe Paterno.

Shared on June 22.

Joe Paterno had two legacies, and his followers need to accept it
http://www.dailylocal.com/article/20150622/SPORTS/150629966
By Lee Hudnell, lhudnell@dailylocal.com, @LeeHudnell on Twitter | 06/22/15

It was announced this past week that legendary Penn State football coach Joe Paterno will be inducted into the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame in October.

The honor is certainly well-deserved.

The late Nittany Lions mentor is a football icon, who belongs on the Mount Rushmore of college football coaches alongside Bear Bryant, Woody Hayes and Eddie Robinson. Actually, he may be the greatest of them all when you factor in his longevity of success and his impact on a single university and state.

In 46 seasons at Penn State, Paterno won 75 percent of the games he coached, including two national championships. He won more games than any coach in Div. I history (409), and it wasn’t because he simply accumulated more years than the other greats. In nearly half a century roaming the sideline in Happy Valley, Paterno posted just five losing campaigns. His teams won at least 10 games in a season 21 times, including 14 with 11 wins or more — both all-time records.

Also, no coach or player has ever been more recognizable with a program or university than Paterno. He wasn’t just a coach for Penn State football, he was Penn State football. Hell, he was a football institution in the state of Pennsylvania, not just State College. Growing up as a kid in Ohio, if you would’ve asked me to name five things about football in the Commonwealth I would’ve replied, “Paterno, Paterno, Paterno, Randall Cunningham and Paterno.”

There is no denying the incredible gridiron legacy of the man they called “Joe Pa,” and his followers have certainly been celebrating it over the past few days — as they should.

However, where his followers and I go separate ways is when the discussion of his other legacy takes place — his role in the child sex abuse scandal involving former assistant Jerry Sandusky.

I recall watching hordes of Penn State students rallying around Paterno that night in November 2011 after the board of trustees dismissed him as head coach. I remember wondering how Sandusky’s rape victims and their families must have been feeling at that very moment.

I certainly cannot speak for any of the victims, but the emotions going through my mind and body were ones of anger and disgust.

Every time I heard a chant of “JOE PA-TER-NO!” it made me sick to my stomach. Every time the students belted cheers of “WE ARE (clap, clap) PENN STATE,” I became enraged.

The protests by the students — which most on hand probably thought were noble and supportive — displayed just how little perspective they possessed when it came to reality. I’m betting most of those protesting students didn’t have children of their own or were ever sexually abused growing up.

There shouldn’t have been one tear shed or one chant cheered for Paterno that night. His ousting was completely justified. It wasn’t a rash decision. It was the only decision.

I also recall a reporter during the press conference that same night — to announce the coach’s firing — who asked the vice president of the board, John Surma Jr., to explain why the trustees couldn’t allow Paterno to leave with some dignity?

Wow, really?

Where is the “dignity” for those young boys who were raped, molested and sodomized by Paterno’s assistant? Where was the rally for Sandusky’s prey? They were the real victims — not Paterno, not the university and certainly not the protesting students.

Nearly four years later, those sentiments are still ringing the same in State College. They just can’t accept the fact that their beloved figurehead dropped the ball on these disgusting acts.

They continue to blame the media for “unfairly attacking Paterno.” They continue pointing fingers at everyone involved from former Penn State President Graham Spanier to former AD Tim Curley to former assistant Mike McQueary and everyone in between — except, of course, Paterno.

It’s as if turning your back to protect a legacy is protocol at the Commonwealth’s most notable collegiate football institution.

Just this past week in an interview with the Huffington Post, Paterno’s son, Jay Paterno, exemplified that very culture of deniability.

“I think what happened — thoughtful people who have paid attention — are looking and saying ‘Wait a minute. There was a rush to judgement. There was an inaccurate rush to judgement,’” Jay Paterno said. “Joe Paterno was a guy who reported an allegation that was brought to him and that was the extent of his involvement. He followed the law. He did more than the law even required.”

That’s the problem, simply reporting the allegation was, in fact, the extent of his involvement. And to say he did “more than the law even required” is certainly debatable and borderline laughable.

What isn’t up for debate, though, is the fact that Paterno had the power, the responsibility, and an obligation to put an end to this madness, and he ignored it. For years.

He wanted nothing to do with it because there wasn’t any way he could spin it that would prevent his legacy from at least being dinged. And as we all know, Paterno’s legacy was everything to him and not even young boys getting raped was going to make him put that in danger.

We can make excuses all we want. We can say that the report by Louis Freeh was rushed and based solely on circumstantial evidence. But Paterno knew of Sandusky’s heinous acts for at least a decade and did nothing of significance to stop it.

Sure, Paterno reported — or more like confided with a few of his colleagues — about what had happened, but how could he have not followed up on it? How can you report something as ghastly as sexual abuse of young boys and not see to it that the perpetrator suffers great consequences? Better yet, how do you allow a monster who you know has been accused of sexual activity with young boys on more than one occasion continue to have an office in your facility?

The only conceivable reason I can think of for this blatant inaction is that he was trying to protect something. In this case it wasn’t Sandusky he was protecting, it was himself — it was his precious legacy.

Again, I don’t believe Paterno’s coaching prowess should be in question. He was one of the greatest of all time, in any sport. We cannot deny his legendary status on the gridiron.

He is most definitely a hall of famer.

But we can’t deny that he made a terrible mistake not putting an end to Sandusky’s terror when he had the chance.

I believe that Paterno was a good man, who made a terribly selfish decision.

Unfortunately it’s a part of his legacy now. Not all of it, but definitely a part of it.

And his followers need to finally accept that fact and quit turning their back on this issue like Paterno did for so many years.

Chi, silly question: do we know for certain that the "Keith Masser" Facebook page in question is actually administered by our boy Keef?

Mr. Potato Head is a first class JACKASS!

I think he is likely a gambler. I think he is likely not the only one.

Just a sense I get from looking at the first posts that come up: potatoes, JVP, and a horse race post. It is reasonable to conclude that these are themes that interest him.

I like easy questions. Because they're out on bond and their trial hasn't occurred yet.
1.Their trial has not occurred yet
2.In 2014 this will all be a distant memory.

Quiz: Which statement will be true in 2016? In 2017? In 2018? Need a cheat sheet?

Speaking of guys who need to be more circumspect given their position (multiple posts a day from this dude!!):

Seriously --- Keith Masser probably has like 100 facebook friends. Nobody cares. And he's entitled to have an opinion.

And people are equally entitled to call him out on it.

As a member of the BOT, no he is not entitled to have a public opinion. This is were you are dead wrong...he has a higher calling; to the university. He can keep his personal opinions to himself. And that's all it is, an opinion

Why is the OP reposting this article today, in the middle of football season, the day before a game?

He can post what he wants when he wants, but it is still a Fellian d!ck move.
Chi, silly question: do we know for certain that the "Keith Masser" Facebook page in question is actually administered by our boy Keef?
Received a direct message on twitter today about Keith's facebook post. Agree that maximum impact might be better achieved with a delayed release (Mon/Tues/etc), but didn't feel like playing games. I asked the tipster if (s)he was certain about the authenticity of Masser's facebook account. Source said that's the real Keith Masser, fwiw.

Penn State Board of Trustees chairman Keith Masser shared a story on facebook about former Penn State coach Joe Paterno.

Shared on June 22.

It was announced this past week that legendary Penn State football coach Joe Paterno will be inducted into the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame in October.

The late Nittany Lions mentor is a football icon, who belongs on the Mount Rushmore of college football coaches alongside Bear Bryant, Woody Hayes and Eddie Robinson. Actually, he may be the greatest of them all when you factor in his longevity of success and his impact on a single university and state.

In 46 seasons at Penn State, Paterno won 75 percent of the games he coached, including two national championships. He won more games than any coach in Div. I history (409), and it wasn’t because he simply accumulated more years than the other greats. In nearly half a century roaming the sideline in Happy Valley, Paterno posted just five losing campaigns. His teams won at least 10 games in a season 21 times, including 14 with 11 wins or more — both all-time records.

Also, no coach or player has ever been more recognizable with a program or university than Paterno. He wasn’t just a coach for Penn State football, he was Penn State football. Hell, he was a football institution in the state of Pennsylvania, not just State College. Growing up as a kid in Ohio, if you would’ve asked me to name five things about football in the Commonwealth I would’ve replied, “Paterno, Paterno, Paterno, Randall Cunningham and Paterno.”

There is no denying the incredible gridiron legacy of the man they called “Joe Pa,” and his followers have certainly been celebrating it over the past few days — as they should.

However, where his followers and I go separate ways is when the discussion of his other legacy takes place — his role in the child sex abuse scandal involving former assistant Jerry Sandusky.

I recall watching hordes of Penn State students rallying around Paterno that night in November 2011 after the board of trustees dismissed him as head coach. I remember wondering how Sandusky’s rape victims and their families must have been feeling at that very moment.

I certainly cannot speak for any of the victims, but the emotions going through my mind and body were ones of anger and disgust.

Every time I heard a chant of “JOE PA-TER-NO!” it made me sick to my stomach. Every time the students belted cheers of “WE ARE (clap, clap) PENN STATE,” I became enraged.

The protests by the students — which most on hand probably thought were noble and supportive — displayed just how little perspective they possessed when it came to reality. I’m betting most of those protesting students didn’t have children of their own or were ever sexually abused growing up.

There shouldn’t have been one tear shed or one chant cheered for Paterno that night. His ousting was completely justified. It wasn’t a rash decision. It was the only decision.

I also recall a reporter during the press conference that same night — to announce the coach’s firing — who asked the vice president of the board, John Surma Jr., to explain why the trustees couldn’t allow Paterno to leave with some dignity?

Wow, really?

Where is the “dignity” for those young boys who were raped, molested and sodomized by Paterno’s assistant? Where was the rally for Sandusky’s prey? They were the real victims — not Paterno, not the university and certainly not the protesting students.

Nearly four years later, those sentiments are still ringing the same in State College. They just can’t accept the fact that their beloved figurehead dropped the ball on these disgusting acts.

They continue to blame the media for “unfairly attacking Paterno.” They continue pointing fingers at everyone involved from former Penn State President Graham Spanier to former AD Tim Curley to former assistant Mike McQueary and everyone in between — except, of course, Paterno.

It’s as if turning your back to protect a legacy is protocol at the Commonwealth’s most notable collegiate football institution.

Just this past week in an interview with the Huffington Post, Paterno’s son, Jay Paterno, exemplified that very culture of deniability.

“I think what happened — thoughtful people who have paid attention — are looking and saying ‘Wait a minute. There was a rush to judgement. There was an inaccurate rush to judgement,’” Jay Paterno said. “Joe Paterno was a guy who reported an allegation that was brought to him and that was the extent of his involvement. He followed the law. He did more than the law even required.”

That’s the problem, simply reporting the allegation was, in fact, the extent of his involvement. And to say he did “more than the law even required” is certainly debatable and borderline laughable.

What isn’t up for debate, though, is the fact that Paterno had the power, the responsibility, and an obligation to put an end to this madness, and he ignored it. For years.

He wanted nothing to do with it because there wasn’t any way he could spin it that would prevent his legacy from at least being dinged. And as we all know, Paterno’s legacy was everything to him and not even young boys getting raped was going to make him put that in danger.

We can make excuses all we want. We can say that the report by Louis Freeh was rushed and based solely on circumstantial evidence. But Paterno knew of Sandusky’s heinous acts for at least a decade and did nothing of significance to stop it.

Sure, Paterno reported — or more like confided with a few of his colleagues — about what had happened, but how could he have not followed up on it? How can you report something as ghastly as sexual abuse of young boys and not see to it that the perpetrator suffers great consequences? Better yet, how do you allow a monster who you know has been accused of sexual activity with young boys on more than one occasion continue to have an office in your facility?

The only conceivable reason I can think of for this blatant inaction is that he was trying to protect something. In this case it wasn’t Sandusky he was protecting, it was himself — it was his precious legacy.

Again, I don’t believe Paterno’s coaching prowess should be in question. He was one of the greatest of all time, in any sport. We cannot deny his legendary status on the gridiron.

But we can’t deny that he made a terrible mistake not putting an end to Sandusky’s terror when he had the chance.

Unfortunately it’s a part of his legacy now. Not all of it, but definitely a part of it.

And his followers need to finally accept that fact and quit turning their back on this issue like Paterno did for so many years.
seems as if selective memory at play here. If I recall correctly, after Paterno testified before the Grand Jury, he was not recommended for charges. In fact, the then AG Kelly stated publicly that Paterno did what he should have done. And Fina, the chief prosecutor who investigated for the state stated that there was no evidence that Paterno did anything wrong. Now this writer has determined that none of these officials knew what they were talking about. In his mind, Paterno knew all about Sandusky and decided to do nothing simply to protect his legacy. The writier must have some proof that the AG office doesn't have. Yet all he writes about here are inuendos and allegations of other misinformed pundits. Its a shame that our journalists have become little more than repeaters of other journalists without regard for facts.

Received a direct message on twitter today about Keith's facebook post. Agree that maximum impact might be better achieved with a delayed release (Mon/Tues/etc), but didn't feel like playing games. I asked the tipster if (s)he was sure about the authenticity of Masser's facebook account. Source said that's the real Keith Masser, fwiw.

Roger that. Thank you, sir.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
As a member of the BOT, no he is not entitled to have a public opinion. This is were you are dead wrong...he has a higher calling; to the university. He can keep his personal opinions to himself. And that's all it is, an opinion

Does that go for everybody on the BoT then?

Reactions: Joe Pa Thetic
This is 3 month old news, there really is no need for this to have been posted. Keith Masser is an ass. He will get what's coming to him, and eventually the rest of the BoT from November 2011 will be exposed for the gutless leaders they are. However, posting inflammatory stories like this, especially before a game, serves no purpose but to get everyone's blood pressure up. Personally I say lock this down.

Reactions: michnittlion
Since day one, I have posted that Joe Paterno has integrity and would never back away from any confrontation no matter the consequences. The majority here said that Joe made few mistakes, but this was a doozy.

About two years ago, I started posting that there was no evidence that Jerry raped anyone and that Joe did the right thing in not spreading around rumors. I pointed out many facts why PSU should demand a new trial for Jerry and the least it would do is clear Joe's name. The majority said that Jerry was guilty for sure. This was well known at PSU that Jerry was raping kids for 40 years.

What is with you posters? You can't have it both ways. Many of you knew Joe. Therefore the facts have to be that Joe knew in 1998 that Jerry was showering with boys and did not do anything to damage the football team. In 2001, Joe knew that Jerry was sexually fondling kids in the showers. Joe knew that Jerry was grooming them not to help under privileged kids, but because no one would care.

As soon as Joe knew Jerry was raping kids he should have called police and called a press conference, because he knew no one else in State College would do it for fear of repercussions to the football team and the money they personally make from it.

I posted many times that Joe was the greatest football coach ever for what he did for the kids on and off the field, BUT for anyone to win even one game and allow a kid to be raped repeatedly, then Joe should be stripped of all his wins and we should all spit on his grave. He is a living disgrace and as soon as the attorney's allow the C/S/S trial, then they will be joining Jerry.

Since day one, I have posted that Joe Paterno has integrity and would never back away from any confrontation no matter the consequences. The majority here said that Joe made few mistakes, but this was a doozy.

About two years ago, I started posting that there was no evidence that Jerry raped anyone and that Joe did the right thing in not spreading around rumors. I pointed out many facts why PSU should demand a new trial for Jerry and the least it would do is clear Joe's name. The majority said that Jerry was guilty for sure. This was well known at PSU that Jerry was raping kids for 40 years.

What is with you posters? You can't have it both ways. Many of you knew Joe. Therefore the facts have to be that Joe knew in 1998 that Jerry was showering with boys and did not do anything to damage the football team. In 2001, Joe knew that Jerry was sexually fondling kids in the showers. Joe knew that Jerry was grooming them not to help under privileged kids, but because no one would care.

As soon as Joe knew Jerry was raping kids he should have called police and called a press conference, because he knew no one else in State College would do it for fear of repercussions to the football team and the money they personally make from it.

I posted many times that Joe was the greatest football coach ever for what he did for the kids on and off the field, BUT for anyone to win even one game and allow a kid to be raped repeatedly, then Joe should be stripped of all his wins and we should all spit on his grave. He is a living disgrace and as soon as the attorney's allow the C/S/S trial, then they will be joining Jerry.

Oh god here we go again... My head hurts already reading this....

Dumbass_679f13_144127.jpg

Shared on June 22.

Wow, really?

Mr Masser clearly has no concepts of FACTS when it comes to Joseph Paterno. He apparently doesn't believe in the idea of DUE PROCESS or EVIDENCE nor did he read the PATERNO REPORT or anything John Ziegler has done in the last 4 years. I am embarrassed to have Mr Masser as a BOT member.

Keith Masser is no doubt feeling smug and self-assured these days, or otherwise he'd be maintaining a low profile like Surma and Peetz. He is too fat and stupid to realize that some day, the truth will come out, and he will be too old to pay the price. However, it is inevitable that his family will bear the burden of his misdeeds.

I wonder if he thinks about that?. The family of John Wilkes Booth suffered for a century because of what he did. Apparently potato head Masser is not a student of history.

Reactions: jjsocrates
Until now, people could argue that this was yesterday's news.
But, Keith Masser just made it today's news. Why?
KEITH JUST DELETED THE STORY FROM HIS FACEBOOK PAGE.
Why today, Keith? Three months after the fact, why would you delete the story today?

You are incredibly stupid.

I don't know why but reading your post made me think of this:

That's a very bad post Todd.

"This was well known at PSU that Jerry was raping kids for 40 years"? Well known infers that a whole lot of people knew and did nothing. If you're going to say it was "well known" you better start naming manes because they are all guilty of allowing Jerry to victimize children.

What evidence do you have that Joe knew Jerry was raping kids? Why do you think Jerry was found not guilty of rape on the McQueary incident? Why do you think McQueary's dad and Dr. Dranov didn't stop Sandusky?

Without evidence you are doing nothing but slandering people.

Shared on June 22.

Wow, really?

In all sincerity, Masser can go f*ck himself.

Mr Masser, I hope you read this. I hate name calling but you are truly ridiculous. I am holding back calling you 3 and 4 letter words. I will say these two things:

1. For you to make these statements after the years of truth dripping out slowly but consistently showing Joe had nothing to do with this shows an extreme level of desperation. A level that suggests that you have some substantial guilt that you may be hiding.

2. I am ashamed that you have any connection to Penn State. Real Penn Staters stand up for the law, truth and for those who cannot stand up for themselves. You hurt the victims with your diatribe and you are casting dispersions against a dead man who served our school and humanity in the best way he could and better than any one that I know. Your statements prove you are not worthy to clean Joe soiled boots. Do the right thing and resign, apologize and pray that the wrong that you have done does not cast you into the depths of hell.

This is the article that appeared in June, and it appears that Masser shared it at that time.

Last I heard, the writer of the article had not contacted Wensilver about having a meeting, after promising to do so as soon as he got back from vacation.

That article got pretty well ripped to shreds on the board when it appeared. Hard to believe that Masser would want to link an article like that.

It's not hard to believe that Masser would share it. That article perfectly reflects the bullshit version of events that Peetz and Masser spent millions of dollars of Penn State money selling to the public. They need to be held accountable for the damage they did.

Morgan Hess called. He wants his tin foil hat back.

Of course Masser is entitled to an opinion. The problem is that he has an opinion that is absolutely reviled by the vast majority of Penn State alumni. If the university is going to embark on another major capital campaign, it would probably better if university had a chairman of its board of trustees who isn't despised by the majority of the alumni. There is zero chance that I am making any gifts to Penn State until Masser and his despicable pals are removed and the university has publicly apologized to the Paterno family and the entire Penn State community for foisting the blame for Sandusky on us. Zero. Good luck with that campaign.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT