ADVERTISEMENT

Update on my HVAC installation

Cosmos

May 29, 2001
Re: https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/ot-advice-on-new-hvac.205827/#post-3885722

After doing much research I picked six contractors to come visit. Five submitted bids. One guy didn't get a chance to bid because he lied to me, so I politely showed him the door.

The bids ranged from $7K - $14K, so be sure to do your homework on: 1) who to contact and 2) what type of system you want (single speed, 2-speed or 100% variable). I used referrals and Angie's List as filters. I live in DFW. I limited my search to local businesses within 10 miles because should something go wrong, I want them here.

Ultimately, I did not choose the cheapest bid. I chose the one in the middle. What won me over was the amount of time he spent onsite, analyzing my needs and answering my questions. It was a hard decision between him and the guy who came in 2nd place.

I settled on a two-speed compressor paired with a variable speed furnace. With these split systems, I found it's nearly impossible to earn the federal energy tax credit without going with a 100% variable-speed unit. You might get a 16 SEER/13 EER AC compressor but pairing it to a 90% efficiency furnace requires "some serious tweaking" as one contractor put it. Coupled with the relative newness of the 100% variable units, I decided to go with the more tried and true format used around here.

So I chose a Bryant system. 16 SEER/12.5 EER, 5 ton 2-speed compressor paired to an 80% efficiency variable speed gas furnace and an 'A' shaped evaporator coil to maximize humidity reduction. Price was $8,250. It included the installation of two additional return vents. FYI: Bryant is part of the Carrier and Payne family of HVACs. They share common parts and are owned by United Technologies.

Results-
The first thing we noticed is the quiet. When the blower is running on low speed it's not as loud as the burner firing on my old furnace! When the blower is running on high speed it's quieter than the old furnace fan. FYI, my old system was dated 2006 and pretty good equipment (RUUD).

I received my natural gas bill the day of the install, so the timing couldn't have been more perfect. We'll know more in 30 days.

Lessons learned-
1. Don't buy Goodman. It's low quality. Might last six years. Used in tract home construction.
2. People don't buy American Standard because they associate the name with toilets! Even though they come off the same assembly line as Trane. They sure are proud of their prices.
3. Lennox has the highest energy ratings but they're also the most expensive. Repairs are expensive and parts are hard to come by.

I thank you.

Last edited:
I do HVAC for a living in the state college area and will tell you that you didnt go wrong with a bryant. I would always go with a Bryant or Mitsubishi. Hyper heat is the cats ass. Goodman is what you would call a contractor special, cheap but they still work usually would put them in to add sale value to your home. $1300-1600 dollar unit could add 15k selling value to your home. As for the bidding process low man is not always a bad thing sometimes guys are small and will undercut by a big sum to get foot in the door to be able to compete with the big guys. If i would start my own business i would undercut just to compete against the company names. Trane and Lennox are expensive because the parts usually have to come right from the manufacturer i have this problem alot. The biggest thing is what type of service agreement you have going forward as to whats covered and so forth and for how long. Ive seen local companies charge 105 bucks because the customer had no heat and all that needed done was new tstat batteries.

I do HVAC for a living in the state college area and will tell you that you didnt go wrong with a bryant. I would always go with a Bryant or Mitsubishi. Hyper heat is the cats ass. Goodman is what you would call a contractor special, cheap but they still work usually would put them in to add sale value to your home. $1300-1600 dollar unit could add 15k selling value to your home. As for the bidding process low man is not always a bad thing sometimes guys are small and will undercut by a big sum to get foot in the door to be able to compete with the big guys. If i would start my own business i would undercut just to compete against the company names. Trane and Lennox are expensive because the parts usually have to come right from the manufacturer i have this problem alot. The biggest thing is what type of service agreement you have going forward as to whats covered and so forth and for how long. Ive seen local companies charge 105 bucks because the customer had no heat and all that needed done was new tstat batteries.

Good points.
As for warranty most offered 5 and 10, labor and parts. Made it a point to select the smaller, local contractors. Stayed away from the big, metroplex-wide players who advertise heavily on TV. Thanks.

Re: https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/ot-advice-on-new-hvac.205827/#post-3885722

After doing much research I picked six contractors to come visit. Five submitted bids. One guy didn't get a chance to bid because he lied to me, so I politely showed him the door.

The bids ranged from $7K - $14K, so be sure to do your homework on: 1) who to contact and 2) what type of system you want (single speed, 2-speed or 100% variable). I used referrals and Angie's List as filters. I live in DFW. I limited my search to local businesses within 10 miles because should something go wrong, I want them here.

Ultimately, I did not choose the cheapest bid. I chose the one in the middle. What won me over was the amount of time he spent onsite, analyzing my needs and answering my questions. It was a hard decision between him and the guy who came in 2nd place.

I settled on a two-speed compressor paired with a variable speed furnace. With these split systems, I found it's nearly impossible to earn the federal energy tax credit without going with a 100% variable-speed unit. You might get a 16 SEER/13 EER AC compressor but pairing it to a 90% efficiency furnace requires "some serious tweaking" as one contractor put it. Coupled with the relative newness of the 100% variable units, I decided to go with the more tried and true format used around here.

So I chose a Bryant system. 16 SEER/12.5 EER, 5 ton 2-speed compressor paired to an 80% efficiency variable speed gas furnace and an 'A' shaped evaporator coil to maximize humidity reduction. Price was $8,250. It included the installation of two additional return vents. FYI: Bryant is part of the Carrier and Payne family of HVACs. They share common parts and are owned by United Technologies.

Results-
The first thing we noticed is the quiet. When the blower is running on low speed it's not as loud as the burner firing on my old furnace! When the blower is running on high speed it's quieter than the old furnace fan. FYI, my old system was dated 2006 and pretty good equipment (RUUD).

I received my natural gas bill the day of the install, so the timing couldn't have been more perfect. We'll know more in 30 days.

Lessons learned-
1. Don't buy Goodman. It's low quality. Might last six years. Used in tract home construction.
2. People don't buy American Standard because they associate the name with toilets! Even though they come off the same assembly line as Trane. They sure are proud of their prices.
3. Lennox has the highest energy ratings but they're also the most expensive. Repairs are expensive and parts are hard to come by.

I thank you.

To conclude my new HVAC system installation saga, I receive my natural gas bill the other day. $16.26 versus $155.31 the previous month, and according to NWS the previous month was 3 degrees warmer on average.

To conclude my new HVAC system installation saga, I receive my natural gas bill the other day. $16.26 versus $155.31 the previous month, and according to NWS the previous month was 3 degrees warmer on average.
Not to discourage you, but something tells me that’s not an unbiased comparison.

Reactions: glidresquirrel
Not to discourage you, but something tells me that’s not an unbiased comparison.

Could be a short month for the first month too. Or this is the same guy who said his wife is having hot flashes and won’t let him turn on the heat.

Could be. I can only tell you what my bills show, as well as what the National Weather Service shows as average monthly temperatures Dec. vs. Jan. In the meantime, I await my next gas bill.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Could be. I can only tell you what my bills show, as well as what the National Weather Service shows as average monthly temperatures Dec. vs. Jan. In the meantime, I await my next gas bill.

My bills are sometimes estimated vs. sometimes actual.....that could help explain the difference. Or they could be for different time periods.

In any event, it sounds like the process went well for you. Kudos for calling out and kicking out the one guy.....curious, what did he do / say?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT