ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer on Fox

Jaguars say hold my beer while you get that lap dance Urbie.
In college football....
Although I think it's become very clear he wasn't exactly the problem in Jacksonville. Lawrence hasn't been good this year and lost to the horrible Broncos led by the even worse Russell Wilson.

thats not something i agree with

most of them aren't playing in the nfl (the vast majority) and part of the job includes helping to ensure that as many as possible succeed in getting some type of degree
But they go to Penn State to get to the NFL. Not all of them will but that's why they're going here. It's honestly on the kid to commit himself to the classroom and get a degree if he wants one. Same with every single 18 year old that goes off to college.

We don't have to agree--that's fine. But I think it's important to acknowledge in this era that the kids aren't looking for that--especially since they can get paid now.

most know coming in that they aren't playing in the nfl. even at that level

i think you are just incorrect about what the job is. your answer is someone who is not employed by any school right now
Then we'll agree to disagree. I think you underestimate how many of these kids think they'll be playing on Sunday. It's also why the portal out. It's not to play in college--it's to get to the next level and they believe they're better than we are
Truthfully, the goal is to be Georgia or Bama or Ohio State where most get a shot at the next level

No one in a decision-making role if you prefer. I don't care if you or I care about it. Those that hire do so to win.
If you or I care about it enough, then those who hire will also have to care. Business 101: know what matters to your customers.

No, why does it matter?
This isn't little league. The big business here. Let's call college football what it is. How much money is it generating for Penn State. You hire the best guy for the job. These kids coming to Penn State to play football aren't looking for an education but they're looking to play in the NFL. Don't fool yourself. Meyer can help them accomplish that goal.
There's a long list of college athletes who are thankful for the leadership and life lessons provided by their coaches. Some of them have even said they respected the coaches for NOT being only about football. I think you're very out of touch regarding what kids are looking for. Furthermore, it shouldn't be solely up to the kids to decide. Sometimes, we grown-ups need to take charge.

There's a long list of college athletes who are thankful for the leadership and life lessons provided by their coaches. Some of them have even said they respected the coaches for NOT being only about football. I think you're very out of touch regarding what kids are looking for. Furthermore, it shouldn't be solely up to the kids to decide. Sometimes, we grown-ups need to take charge.
When you went to college did you need someone to hold your hand?

Why did Ray Rice never play again? Or Colin Kaepernick? Because people only care about winning?
Kaepernick wasn't good and could have played if he was willing to take a paycut
Rice was washed up
Would you like a list of guys that have played again?

it is clear that you would, but, think about that aside from the baggage

he gets things really going in 2-3 years at which point he is already in his 60s

this just isnt the right fit and there is a reason he isnt coaching
We've seen other guys take time off--it's meaningless to me
If he doesn't want to coach that's fine but I'd gladly take him for 2-3 years then he retire and go back to FOX

Reactions: Bob2022
Kaepernick wasn't good and could have played if he was willing to take a paycut
Rice was washed up
Would you like a list of guys that have played
Rice was cut right when the video came out, the day after the first game of the season. But you think that was coincidence? You think that even without the video they would have cut him and nobody else would have signed him?

And why did Goodell publicly apologize for the short suspension of Rice? Because the public didn't care?

Last edited:
When you went to college did you need someone to hold your hand?
It's not hand holding. It's mentorship. Of course I needed that. Most college kids do. If you had life all figured out at 17 years old, then congratulations. That's very unusual.

It's not hand holding. It's mentorship. Of course I needed that. Most college kids do. If you had life all figured out at 17 years old, then congratulations. That's very unusual.
No it's handholding. And how many are 17 when they arrive on campus?
When I went to college I didn't need anyone to tell me to go to class or do my work. Nor should anyone. You're an adult at 18. Be an adult.

Again, these kids are coming here for school--it's just part of what they have to do.

No it's handholding. And how many are 17 when they arrive on campus?
When I went to college I didn't need anyone to tell me to go to class or do my work. Nor should anyone. You're an adult at 18. Be an adult.

Again, these kids are coming here for school--it's just part of what they have to do.
It's not only about going to class or doing your work. It's also learning how to be a man. And don't forget that some of these kids come from troubled backgrounds without positive role models.

It's not only about going to class or doing your work. It's also learning how to be a man. And don't forget that some of these kids come from troubled backgrounds without positive role models.
I don't believe that's a requirement of a head coach. You do. We just disagree.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT