ADVERTISEMENT

US Open Meltdown - McIlroy

ryoder1

Feb 17, 2007
Wow, I missed the finish but unbelievable to miss three straight 3 footers on the last 3 holes to essentially blow the championship. Just shows how much of a mental game golf is. Not a big McIlroy fan but you gotta feel for him after that kind of collapse. Happy for DeChambeau and he had a great up and down from the sand to win it. Glad he made the shots in the clutch to win it.

Rivals the Norman meltdown at the Masters in the mid 90’s. An all timer! Even the best can do it.

The Van de Velde meltdown at the '99 Open Championship was a classic. He had a 3 shot lead standing on the 18th tee from where he found the rough, the sand, the water and even the grandstands for a triple bogey. He then lost the playoff the next day to Paul Laurie.

The Van de Velde meltdown at the '99 Open Championship was a classic. He had a 3 shot lead standing on the 18th tee from where he found the rough, the sand, the water and even the grandstands for a triple bogey. He then lost the playoff the next day to Paul Laurie.
That was humiliation at an obscene level. IIRC, the announcers were damn near screaming “put the driver away. “

Reactions: 81b&w
Similarity ends with the meltdown itself. Greg stayed afterwards and answered all the tough questions.
After McIlroy’s you know what contest with Cantlay’s caddie at the Ryder Cup I loved the USA chants. What was his excuse this time?

Reactions: GregInPitt
After McIlroy’s you know what contest with Cantlay’s caddie at the Ryder Cup I loved the USA chants. What was his excuse this time?
Yes, what a classless exit. All he had to do was walk out and shake Bryson's hand and congratulate him, make a few comments about closing out his next chance at a major, and then drive away. 15-20 minutes. His lack a maturity for a very experienced golf star will likely cost him a lot of fan support in the U.S. going forward......

Reactions: Fletchster1
Wow, I missed the finish but unbelievable to miss three straight 3 footers on the last 3 holes to essentially blow the championship. Just shows how much of a mental game golf is. Not a big McIlroy fan but you gotta feel for him after that kind of collapse. Happy for DeChambeau and he had a great up and down from the sand to win it. Glad he made the shots in the clutch to win it.
I was surprised that Rory refused to be interviewed after the tournament. It was a heartbreaking loss but he always appeared to be more mature.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I was surprised that Rory refused to be interviewed after the tournament. It was a heartbreaking loss but he always appeared to be more mature.
I didn't know he refused to do the interview but come to think of it I didn't hear him comment after the round. I don't really like him and definetly wanted DeChambeau to prevail simply because he is the American. I think this is gutless and classless not to man up and face the media after a collapse like this.

This could haunt McIlroy for a while. I think I heard he had not won a major in 10 years.

I didn't know he refused to do the interview but come to think of it I didn't hear him comment after the round. I don't really like him and definetly wanted DeChambeau to prevail simply because he is the American. I think this is gutless and classless not to man up and face the media after a collapse like this.

This could haunt McIlroy for a while. I think I heard he had not won a major in 10 years.
Yeah, this one will eat at him for a long time.

Being a world class hacker, even I could have made those 2 (or 3?) extremely short putts the last few holes that he missed. Just a classic choke job

Reactions: lilromeo

Being a world class hacker, even I could have made those 2 (or 3?) extremely short putts the last few holes that he missed. Just a classic choke job
The worst is when the Golf Channel guys try to give him a pass on the downhill one he missed, I think that was at 18 saying..."he hit a good putt". No. That is what you say to a 15 handicapper when they lip out a tricky 3 foot down hill birdie putt at their local public course. When a top 10 or top 5 (whatever he is) golfer in the world misses a 3 footer that could have secured the U.S. Open this is a choke job. Have to make that, no excuses. Contrast that to DeChambeau's clutch up and down to win it.

The Ryder Cup is in the U.S. next year I believe. Assuming McIlroy is on the European team, the fans will be all over him (and not in a friendly way) and rightfully so.

Reactions: Vic Vaselino

Worse in my opinion than not doing an interview was his failure to congratulate Bryson which seems to indicate a lack of respect for his oppenents and the courtesies associated with the privilege of playing on the PGA tour. Rory will hear some boo's going forward in the U.S., and rightly so.

Last edited:
2001 Open at Southern Hills. Reteif Goosen and Stewart Cink both missed three footers on their way to three putting the 18th. A two putt would have given Goosen the win. Given Goosen’s situation, a two putt would have given Cink the win. Instead, Goosen ended up tied with Mark Brooks forcing a playoff the next day. Brooks thinking he had finished third had already cleaned out his locker and left the course. Goosen would win the playoff the next day on about the fourth hole.

That wiregrass was something. I was amazed how often the ball came to rest in an open spot. My ball would have surely come to rest right in the middle of that crap. Maybe it's my equipment.

I am a huge Rory fan, so this one hurt. I might like Bryson if he did not desert the tour and go to LIV just for the money, kind of like going to Ohio State.

Reactions: 81b&w
For those of us old enough to remember Rory’s loss was eerily simular to a loss suffered by Ed Sneed back in the 1979 Masters Tournament. Sneed was coming down the stretch ahead and in good position to win the Masters. He was leading by three shots with three holes to go. Unfortunately, Sneed bogeyed 16, 17 and 18 to end in a tie with Fuzzy Zoeller and Tom Watson. All of his 3 putts on 16, 17 and 18 were 6 foot or less. He lost shortly afterwards in the playoff to Fuzzy Zoeller.

That wiregrass was something. I was amazed how often the ball came to rest in an open spot. My ball would have surely come to rest right in the middle of that crap. Maybe it's my equipment.
you'd be surprised. i've played #2 a couple of times, and fwiw, it has always seemed to me that playable lies from the natural areas are more the rule than the exception

I think that the wire grass grows in clumps that slightly raise the sand around it. balls don't get stuck in it, they bounce off and settle in a low spot

For those of us old enough to remember Rory’s loss was eerily simular to a loss suffered by Ed Sneed back in the 1979 Masters Tournament. Sneed was coming down the stretch ahead and in good position to win the Masters. He was leading by three shots with three holes to go. Unfortunately, Sneed bogeyed 16, 17 and 18 to end in a tie with Fuzzy Zoeller and Tom Watson. All of his 3 putts on 16, 17 and 18 were 6 foot or less. He lost shortly afterwards in the playoff to Fuzzy Zoeller.
All mental. He missed the first one and just tightened up and the other two might as well been 20 footers. He won't ever live this down especially because of his poor sportsmanship and baby like behavior. He should be roundly booed at the Ryder Cup in the States.

you'd be surprised. i've played #2 a couple of times, and fwiw, it has always seemed to me that playable lies from the natural areas are more the rule than the exception
Is it as ugly in person as it is on Tv? It’s my
Least favorite US open venue from an aesthetic point of view

Last edited:
I am a huge Rory fan, so this one hurt. I might like Bryson if he did not desert the tour and go to LIV just for the money, kind of like going to Ohio State.
For a guy who had so much to say about LIV the past 2 years amazing how he disappeared with no comment and without shaking Bryson’s hand afterwards. Let me recommend that he take a lesson from
another LIV golfer, Phil Mickelson. Saw Phil
wait around to congratulate the winner and sign autographs for more than an hour after a tough loss a few years back. Frankly, I loved seeing Mr Ego choke away the US Open to a LIV golfer.

Minjee Lee had a much worse Women's Open. Finished about six shots back after leading by three shots around the eighth hole. Two double bogeys on the back side.

Also, didn't speak to the media.

• Sad
Rory has had a heck of a couple of years. The PGA took his knees out after he fell for their propaganda vs LIV. He then win the Scottish Open and the FedEx Cup Championship to culminate last year's tour championships. This year he starts strong winning the Wells Fargo at Quail Hallow. Then separates from his wife. Then reconciles with his wife. Then blows the US Open. In the meantime, he's got 26 tour wins and has earned over $90m (not including endorsements). He's won four majors not including three FedEx Cup championships. His net worth is in excess of $200m.

He's decided to skip the next two tournaments and get his head straight.

Now I feel bad for Minjee,,,
Her brother (Min Woo Lee) is a rising player on the PGA tour. I always thought that Minjee was one of the better looking women on the LPGA but she was never very personable or outgoing. A lot of the Asia players on the LPGA tour are that way. Very tough loss for her.

Last edited:
For a guy who had so much to say about LIV the past 2 years amazing how he disappeared with no comment and without shaking Bryson’s hand afterwards. Let me recommend that he take a lesson from
wait around to congratulate the winner and sign autographs for more than an hour after a tough loss a few years back. Frankly, I loved seeing Mr Ego choke away the US Open to a LIV golfer.
He is not likeable in my opinion. His holier than thou attiitude about defections to the LIV were annoying and the classic STFU. However the Rory fans want to downplay this, it was one of the biggest choke jobs you will see in golf given the magnitude of the moment.

Likely part of Rory’s disappointment. He was the face of those who stayed and was very critical of those who left. I am sure he wanted it badly for that and so many other reasons / but he should be better than no handshake.

I doubt it.

Likely part of Rory’s disappointment. He was the face of those who stayed and was very critical of those who left. I am sure he wanted it badly for that and so many other reasons / but he should be better than no handshake.
Yep, seems that this was personal for him.

Great clip. Seems like two normal guys enjoying the moment. This is what helps fans connect with players and builds a sport.

Other sports should take notes and learn.
Bryson was a bit of a brash a-hole in his early days. He has very much matured. He had a pretty serious injury and didn't know if he'd ever play again. So I think he's really enjoying the moment.

And for those people that don't follow the game much, Bryson is kind of the mad scientist of golf. He is a very unique player and has changed the game in many ways. His physical preparation and focus on swing speed is very unique. He also played with revolutionary irons. These Irons were approved by the tour the week before the PGA Championship just a month ago. He/they used AI to design the club faces to include gear affect making the clubs more forgiving for slightly missed shots.

While I agree he should have shook his hand, I would not use Phil as an example of class act.

Reactions: dailybuck777
I was impressed with Finau. He could have won the whole thing if not for that horrid triple bogey on #13 on Saturday. Instead of packing it in he kept battling and finished just 2 strokes behind Dechambeau.
Finau has a very unique, relaxed style. Major knee bend and loose upper body. I'm amazed he's consistent with his shots, but fun to watch.

GQ2fEhwXwAgIOgY

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT