ADVERTISEMENT

Video - Figuring out the perfect fit for KeAndre Lambert-Smith

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
KLS VIDEO BREAKDOWN

See link. Had one of our guys dive into advanced stats/analytics to figure out where KLS has been most productive throughout his Penn State career. Surprisingly, almost every metric showed he's substantially better as an outside receiver than a slot receiver, even though there seems to be a consensus amongst the Penn State fanbase that KLS needs to work primary in the slot. My ideal starting 3 would be Fleming at X, KLS at Z and Kaden Saunders in the slot. That makes Trey Wallace the odd man out. Saunders consistently created separation in tight quarters...not sure what the disconnect is between him and the coaching staff.

Interesting breakdown of both the positions and the player. The biggest issue is his size. At 185 he is pretty light and would have difficulty breaking free of tight coverage. That’s why he mainly played slot. I think.

As for the differences in stats, that may have been mostly due to schemes. A lot of the plays shown had him run either quick outs, quick screens or under routes.

As for where he should play…. I don’t know . Not an expert, don’t attend practices. But he seems very versatile having played all three. Maybe he should be Z most games but when the opponent has a top shut down dude that can tie him up at the LOS then have him at slot.

The way Kote likes to confuse defenses KLS and his versatility will be fun to watch. Can see him shifting around presnap to gain best advantage.

• Wow
Reactions: step.eng69
KLS VIDEO BREAKDOWN

See link. Had one of our guys dive into advanced stats/analytics to figure out where KLS has been most productive throughout his Penn State career. Surprisingly, almost every metric showed he's substantially better as an outside receiver than a slot receiver, even though there seems to be a consensus amongst the Penn State fanbase that KLS needs to work primary in the slot. My ideal starting 3 would be Fleming at X, KLS at Z and Kaden Saunders in the slot. That makes Trey Wallace the odd man out. Saunders consistently created separation in tight quarters...not sure what the disconnect is between him and the coaching staff.
Thanks. I learned a lot...great stuff

That route he ran against Utah in the Bowl game 2 years ago for a TD was a thing of beauty if you got to re-watch it. He made a fake to the inside w/o ever breaking stride. The Utah CB bit and he was beaten by 10 yards as KLS ran down the sideline for the catch and TD. Hope to see of that route running this year.

Reactions: Obliviax
That route he ran against Utah in the Bowl game 2 years ago for a TD was a thing of beauty if you got to re-watch it. He made a fake to the inside w/o ever breaking stride. The Utah CB bit and he was beaten by 10 yards as KLS ran down the sideline for the catch and TD. Hope to see of that route running this year.
Agreed. PSU benefited from the S being totally out of position. He was on Singleton's long drive as well in addition to another long pass we completed but underthrew allowing him to recover and, at least, not give up the TD.

After watching I still have mixed feelings about KLS. I think there's obvious talent alot of which could still be untapped but I can't forget just how checked out he looked/played in the final 3-4 games of last year. His body language was of someone who didn't want to be here anymore

KLS VIDEO BREAKDOWN

Duh! KLS is afraid of getting hit.

We knew that before Franklin the Genius Coach thought it was a good idea to move him inside 🙄

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT