ADVERTISEMENT

Football VIDEO: Kalen King thinks Penn State has the best defense in the country

I was seated about 15 rows up behind the PSU bench 2 years ago when Michigan's TE ran seemingly forever for a TD that ripped the heart out of Beaver Stadium.

King got picked on the play and never recovered- leading to the right side of the field to be so wide open that an injured, lumbering player went untouched until the goal line. Prior to that moment King was playing an outstanding game.

Being a MI kid who chose PSU I closely watched his reactions after the play, during the rest of the game and post game. He unwillingly ended up on the wrong side of one of the biggest plays in recent Wolverine history. Dude stared at the sky mostly.

I hope that memory drives him to further greatness, and that he can promote our D at the end of the year as glowingly as the Summer before.

Everyone can see our defensive strengths and areas where we are unproven. I trust Manny does too. Should be interesting chess matches on our D side- provided that our interior line play is decent.

Love the enthusiasm- will cheer for the results even more.

I appreciate his unbiased views! I am glad he thinks that way.

However, I am a big advocate of tracking somebody's "Say/Do Ratio". That is how many times they "say" they are going to do something compared to how many times it actually gets "done".

Lots of talk before the draft of Joey Porter Junior being the first Penn State DB to get drafted in the first round and while it didn’t happen, I think this kid will make it happen next April.

Reactions: Online Persona
I agree. This defense has the players, depth, and coaching to be ruthless.
Ruthless is an excellent descriptor. With their speed, quickness, complexity, and aggressiveness they will confuse and demoralize opponents offenses. And once they sense that they will crank it up two notches!

My only fear is arrogance and over confidence like the teams of the U. Play with confidence, pride and be humble.

The defense will know early where it stands vs the run. Illinois and Iowa will allow them to see a Michigan light style run offenses with enough play action to keep the defense honest.

Iowa probably has the advantage with McNamara their new QB, but he's also handcuffed by a Brian Ferentz called offense. Couple up the kids they turned pro, and this will be their weakest defense on paper in 3-5 years.

Illinois also has key departures. Although not quite up to Spartys '21, they could see a similar drop year to year. This isn't a Michigan-esqe cupboard ready to restock 4* for 4*. Losing their DC will hurt them.

Reactions: Online Persona
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT