ADVERTISEMENT

Vikings home field opportunity

N&B4PSU

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Still trying to wrap my head around the concept of the Vikings having -- not all that long ago -- the opportunity to play all three playoff games (including Super Bowl) at home.

They blew home field #1 to the Eagles... and maybe there went the dream.

Makes me think if the NFL wants to find a Plan B to prevent this kind of possibility in the future. OTOH, might be better for revenue (fair or not), so they'll surely stay the course.

Still trying to wrap my head around the concept of the Vikings having -- not all that long ago -- the opportunity to play all three playoff games (including Super Bowl) at home.

Makes me think if the NFL wants to find a Plan B to prevent this kind of possibility in the future. OTOH, might be better for revenue (fair or not), so they'll surely stay the course.

I’m not sure the home stadium would have been as much an advantage as Minnesota thought. The stadium holds just under 67,000. From what I’ve read of the ticket breakdown-

Pats- 11,725
Eagles- 11,725

Jags- 5,695
Vikes- 5,695

Each NFL team- 670
32 teams for total- 21,440

Rest to host team, host committee, sponsors, executives, etc- approx 10,720

Obviously it depends on what fans are willing to pay on the secondary markets but in terms of ticket allocation only- the tickets are pretty much divided up in a way that wouldn’t have given the home team too much of an advantage.

I don't believe the Jaguars would get any special allocation, as they'd be the same as the other 28 teams not hosting or playing.

I don't believe the Jaguars would get any special allocation, as they'd be the same as the other 28 teams not hosting or playing.

Found an article on ticket allocation and took the percentages from that and applied it to 67,000 seat stadium.

They said each Super Bowl team gets 17.5% of available tickets. Each conference runner up (Jags and Vikes) gets 8.5%. Each NFL team gets approx 1%. The rest are given to the hosting team, hosting committee, sponsors, NFL execs, etc.

Plan B would mean re-locating the Super Bowl on 2 weeks notice. That will never happen.

The only other option is not to play it in NFL stadiums. You can’t move a event of this magnitude two weeks of even two month notice. The planning begins years in advance. They are not going to go through all the expense of having two facilities ready just in case the Home team makes it.

What can you even do for Plan B? The best stadiums are all NFL stadiums. College stadiums may be bigger but are typically located in smaller towns and cities that don't have the hotel capacity to accommodate a Super Bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT