ADVERTISEMENT

Walking shoe recommendations requested

All the talk about bunions and knees is depressing but that won't stop me from piling on.

I ran a lot of 10K races and a couple of marathons/50k races back in the day. I was forced to give that up because of age, back, and hip damage. I can't tell you how much I miss it. Anyway of I bought a pair of sketchers slip ins prior to surgery last year. I figured it would be difficult to bend down and tie my shoes for a while and although I've recovered I don't want to give them up.

I guess I'm getting old. In fact I'm so old that I remember when college sports were played by college students. But that's another subject.

Reactions: lazydave841
All the talk about bunions and knees is depressing but that won't stop me from piling on.

I ran a lot of 10K races and a couple of marathons/50k races back in the day. I was forced to give that up because of age, back, and hip damage. I can't tell you how much I miss it. Anyway of I bought a pair of sketchers slip ins prior to surgery last year. I figured it would be difficult to bend down and tie my shoes for a while and although I've recovered I don't want to give them up.

I guess I'm getting old. In fact I'm so old that I remember when college sports were played by college students. But that's another subject.
Yikes. You're from the 1910s? Congrats on the long life.

Hoks and On (sometimes referred to as On Cloud) are the 2 footwear brands (both are relatively new brands started in Europe) gaining a lot of traction these days.

But pretty much every major footwear brand has comfortable running/walking shoes/sneakers.

Partial to Saucony, but Adidas Ultraboost are usually good as well.

Can't really just go by brand as overall comfort (for your specific foot) can vary quite widely for different models within a brand, and sometimes even within a model depending on the generation.

So as previously mentioned, best to go to a specialty running store.

Hoks and On (sometimes referred to as On Cloud) are the 2 footwear brands (both are relatively new brands started in Europe) gaining a lot of traction these days.

But pretty much every major footwear brand has comfortable running/walking shoes/sneakers.

Partial to Saucony, but Adidas Ultraboost are usually good as well.

Can't really just go by brand as overall comfort (for your specific foot) can vary quite widely for different models within a brand, and sometimes even within a model depending on the generation.

So as previously mentioned, best to go to a specialty running store.
Gonna go to one of those stores this weekend. Appreciate all te input.

I've worn Saucony and Asics. Got good wear and comfort from both. When purchasing don't just go to big box store. Go to a reputable athletic store like Rapid Transit Sportwear here in State College. Very knowledgeable staff.

Reactions: RickinDayton
I walk 4-5 days a week for 3 1/2 to 4 miles @ pretty good pace, sometimes outdoors, sometimes inside @ mall. I've heard HOKAs are very good and help minimize joint pain. Any specific recommendations are appreciated, even other brands.

Thanks
Hoka hands down

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT