ADVERTISEMENT

Football WATCH: Former Penn State head coach Bill O'Brien reunites with Adam Breneman and Christian Hackenberg

A High School coach I know said BoB was the only College Coach he ever met he realty didn't like - arrogant SOB according to him.

A High School coach I know said BoB was the only College Coach he ever met he realty didn't like - arrogant SOB according to him.

The dude has been unsuccessful in college.
Had success with Brady. But so did a lot of awful coaches.

I don’t get all of the dislike towards BOB. At the time I feel like he was the right person for the job. He took over during a $hitstorm that he was never a part of. Then unprecedented, and extremely unjustified IMHO, sanctions came about to paralyze the program. He had to navigate players freely allowed to transfer, a reduced roster, and calls from the outside to shut down the program. Did he makes some mistakes, yes he did. I don’t think I can forgive him for having a linebacker return kickoffs. A costly mistake that cost us his first game (Ohio U). I still can’t figure out how we beat Michigan in 4 OT’s, a week after an anemic performance at Indiana. It was no secret he was destined to return to the NFL, and once an owner gives him $30 million guaranteed, he gone. I met him once at an alumni event in center city Philadelphia and he could not have been any nicer.

I wish him luck at BC. A program without a lot of tradition in a Pro city. And in this new era of NIL I don’t see him attracting a lot of the talent necessary to consistently win.

IMO, BoB won at Penn State because the team still had a lot of residual talent on it. He had a very hard time winning as a head coach anywhere else. I saw him largely as a hot head with a big mouth. The coach who REALLY walk into a depleted roster and the low point for the team but managed to keep the program above water was James Franklin.

Last edited:
IMO, BoB won at Penn State because the team still had a lot of residual talent on it. He had a very hard time winning as a head coach anywhere else. I saw him largely as a hot head with a big mouth. The coach who REALLY walk into a depleted roster and the low point for the team but managed to keep the program above water was James Franklin.
I honestly think those who played for him @ PSU would probably have a more favorable opinionn of BOB. That takes nothing away from CJF's accomplishments who really bore thee longer term brunt and burden. I respect both for their tenacity.

Take a look at who he brought in. Hackenberg, Brennenman , and giesicki to name a few.

He's was fine as a HC with the Texans until he wanted to be the GM. Like others said, Bill was the right guy at the right time. He used us and we used him. No one should be bitter. People just don't like he was honest about a lot of things during his time here.

Reactions: scrivener
I honestly think those who played for him @ PSU would probably have a more favorable opinionn of BOB. That takes nothing away from CJF's accomplishments who really bore thee longer term brunt and burden. I respect both for their tenacity.
I think if BoB had hung around for a 3rd and 4th season they both likely would have been losing seasons. Just my opinion. I think he left Penn State for the Houston job but also because he saw a cupboard that looked a bit sparse at Penn State.

Reactions: Ski
I think if BoB had hung around for a 3rd and 4th season they both likely would have been losing seasons. Just my opinion. I think he left Penn State for the Houston job but also because he saw a cupboard that looked a bit sparse at Penn State.

A pro coach used to dealing with 53 man rosters was what the doctor ordered when scholarships were limited to 65. The fact that he was Brady's QB coach for a while in NE gave him "QB street cred" allowing him to bring in some very good offensive skill players. His innovative use of 3 tight ends at PSU was notable and I remember articles praising him for it.

But his lack of recruiting quality O-linemen was going to bite him in the a$$ if he stuck around longer. And Mauti and Zordich were more responsible for keeping the team together than BoB ever was. And, as others have noted, he was a hot head.

I was very happy when PSU managed to land him as HC and just as happy 2 years later when he left for greener pastures. Both sides got what they wanted/needed at the time. Win/win.

He's was fine as a HC with the Texans until he wanted to be the GM. Like others said, Bill was the right guy at the right time. He used us and we used him. No one should be bitter. People just don't like he was honest about a lot of things during his time here.
No, we didn't use him he was paid handsomely to be here. He used us period and he knew he was using us as a steppingstone. He would not have stayed under any circumstances. He's a pro guy but now that has run its course and he's been relegated to being a low-level college coach.

Bingo. The sensitivity of some on here to give BOB any modicum of credit for being a bridge that helped save the program, is typical of this board. It sure appears that guys like Hack, McGloin, and others really liked Bill and still hold him in high regard. And, BOB has talked fondly of his time at PSU multiple times. I truly think he valued his time at psu. Also...yes he is a hothead with a temper...it's also exactly what we needed during his two years - a DGAF attitude and a hard-nosed guy to get us through. If that was JF for those two years, wow, could u imagine how sensitive and paranoid he would have been then? It's insufferable now with the program in a good place. BOB was critical to staying afloat, and I am grateful for his time here.

Last edited:
No, we didn't use him he was paid handsomely to be here. He used us period and he knew he was using us as a steppingstone. He would not have stayed under any circumstances. He's a pro guy but now that has run its course and he's been relegated to being a low-level college coach.
We absolutely did use him and there's nothing wrong with his intent being to stay briefly then go to the NFL. You pretending he's somehow wrong for wanting to coach in the NFL is laughable. Neither side ever planned on him being here long.

A pro coach used to dealing with 53 man rosters was what the doctor ordered when scholarships were limited to 65. The fact that he was Brady's QB coach for a while in NE gave him "QB street cred" allowing him to bring in some very good offensive skill players. His innovative use of 3 tight ends at PSU was notable and I remember articles praising him for it.

But his lack of recruiting quality O-linemen was going to bite him in the a$$ if he stuck around longer. And Mauti and Zordich were more responsible for keeping the team together than BoB ever was. And, as others have noted, he was a hot head.

I was very happy when PSU managed to land him as HC and just as happy 2 years later when he left for greener pastures. Both sides got what they wanted/needed at the time. Win/win.
Agree but him being head coach helped to inspire Mauti and Zordich. He was a hot head, a firery competitor, a fighter….. just like M and Z. I have little doubt he helped stir the flames of loyalty in those two and more.

He was the only one in the entire administration that fought for the team. The Board of Traitors was prostrate on the ground, begging forgiveness. Billy’s fire spread throughout the team.

When he left the team was very weak but it’s hard to blame him. Absolutely horrific publicity that was nonstop. Terrible sanctions restricting scholarships and bowl appearances. Constantly fighting with administrators for support. Made it very difficult to recruit a full roster.

He may have been the perfect hire for the situation. And everyone…EVERYONE….. knew he was temporary as an NFL head coaching position was his dream and destiny. His departure could have been handled better but two years of hell make one react emotionally.

We were very fortunate our inept and gutless BoT lucked into him to keep the program alive. And just as fortunate to land Franklin to get us through the depths of sanctions and rebuild both the program and the brand.

Now the huge question is will Franklin take us the next step or will it be necessary to make change? I really hope he succeeds as he earned the opportunity by succeeding beyond most expectations early on.

Last edited:
We absolutely did use him and there's nothing wrong with his intent being to stay briefly then go to the NFL. You pretending he's somehow wrong for wanting to coach in the NFL is laughable. Neither side ever planned on him being here long.
I never said he was wrong for wanting to go to the nfl he was wrong for not puttibg that on the table on his interview and to think we somehow intentionally used him is laughable.

I never said he was wrong for wanting to go to the nfl he was wrong for not puttibg that on the table on his interview and to think we somehow intentionally used him is laughable.
What are you talking about? You don't think everyone involved in the hiring process knew he wanted to coach in the NFL? You think they're that stupid?

We absolutely used him. It was a mutual arrangement. He never intended to be here long and we wanted a bridge coach between Joe and the next guy. Everyone won. Penn State won. O'Brien won. The only person that suffered was Hack and he doesn't seem upset.

Coaches aren't supposed to or expected to stay for decades. That is rare. I'm not sure what you expected when we signed O'Brien but even in his first press conference it was clear this was just a stop for him. O'Brien never said anything with certainty. Always said "my intention", "I hope", "for now". If you listened to him you knew he was leaving as soon as the NFL came calling.

Last edited:
Reactions: scrivener
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT