ADVERTISEMENT

Way OT: What is everyones go to power Tool brand?

GreggK

Jan 19, 2002
I have been meaning to ask this one for awhile now on this board because I am sure there are going to be some very particular answers.
If money is not an option, who do you guys go with? I have some Milwaukee tools that have held up relatively well, but I never know what to go with when I get to the isle and end up just randomly picking.

To name a few.
Milwaukee, Makita, Craftsman, Dewalt, Rigid, Ryobi, Husky, Skil, Bosch, Bostitch, Kobalt, Porter Cable.. I am sure I missed plenty.

Whats everyones go to and why? If money isn't an option for around the house work.

I have had success with Ryobi cordless tools. I like the fact that you can use the same battery in many different tools. I do not use them heavily, only when needed. Also have some Milwaukee and Craftsman tools I inherited from my Father in Law, again only use occasionally.

I have had success with Ryobi cordless tools. I like the fact that you can use the same battery in many different tools. I do not use them heavily, only when needed. Also have some Milwaukee and Craftsman tools I inherited from my Father in Law, again only use occasionally.
I agree I have several Ryobi tools and the same battery feature is nice. I am not a heavy user but they work well.

Me too on the Ryobi. But the OP said "If money is not an option,..." so I'm not saying he should focus on Ryobi. I have about 10 Ryobi tools that I purchased to do the finish work on the detached garage I had built, including drills and impact drivers, a larger impact tool for lug nuts, a small circular saw, lights, ....

If you are in the Pittsburgh area you might want to make a trip to the Washington PA Tanger Outlets Factory Direct Tools outlet. It is one of a very few outlets for the manufacturers of Ryobi and Rigid. I picked up a small 18V circular saw after Christmas last year for not too much over $10, and it does a great job on plywood - light, easy to maneuver,... I don't plan on much hard or prolonged use for the Ryobi tools so they seemed like a great fit. But if I was a contractor, continuously using my power tools, I would have opted for a more industrious, sturdier line of power tools.

I have been meaning to ask this one for awhile now on this board because I am sure there are going to be some very particular answers.
If money is not an option, who do you guys go with? I have some Milwaukee tools that have held up relatively well, but I never know what to go with when I get to the isle and end up just randomly picking.

To name a few.
Milwaukee, Makita, Craftsman, Dewalt, Rigid, Ryobi, Husky, Skil, Bosch, Bostitch, Kobalt, Porter Cable.. I am sure I missed plenty.

To name a few.

Whats everyones go to and why? If money isn't an option for around the house work.

Since we have narrowed the scope, I have some Stanley, Husky, Makita, Porter Cable (great routers), Dewalt (they make a very good "lunchbox" planer), Ryobi, Bosch and Craftsman of course. I like Stanley tools since I am a hybrid guy with a lean toward hand tools. IMHO they still make some decent hand tools. I just about cried when a part of a table fell onto and broke my old Stanley 151 spokeshave last week. I am going to get another soon. hopefully I can fine tune the new one like the old one (different metal alloy?). Their sweetheart line is good, but now you are going up a few dollars.

Jet (Powermatic's value line) and Rikon make some decent stuff as well. However Jet power tools can get expensive. I don't own any, but I've used them.

Most of the power tools I use now are euro ones. I like the system approach. I won't go into it because it is outside of the scope of this thread.

To name a few.

if money is no object the onliest way to go is Festool. expansive but look what Tommy and Norm use.

For a sawzall and corded drills I'd go with Milwaukee. Bosch for a jigsaw. Porter Cable for a router. Cordless drill would either be Makita of Hitachi
Both are great! Worth spending a couple extra dollars for.

Reactions: 81b&w
if money is no object the onliest way to go is Festool. expansive but look what Tommy and Norm use.

It's their system. That is the majority of my few power tools. Outside of the scope of the thread, but great stuff. I would love to get a Mafell circular saw, but I don't know if the support network is there.

This Mafell (not the one I was considering) is going off of the deep end...

Reactions: whart and sluggo72
Outside of Festool (and you will never find them on a job site EVER), I would (in order) go Hilti, with a tie between Milwaukee and Makita. It’s really about the batteries. DeWalt makes some great stuff, but sometimes it’s hit or miss. There is “pro” grade like Hilti, than Pro-Sumer, like Mikita and Milwaukee, Bosche, etc.., and then home use, Craftsman, Ryobi etc. Snap-On’s are also excellent, but you are limited to mechanical use (mostly true for Hilti also).

I was a Makita guy back the day and switched over to Bosch for about 3 years, not a fan. Now I have a mix of Milwaukee and Mikita.

Hitachi made great durable stuff and just bought Metabo. I would try the Hitachi/ Metabo. Might want to give that a look as well. Do your research on the Hitachi/Metabo before you buy because they are both now marketed under the Hitachi brand, but use different marketing terms to distinguish between the two line.

I would also not discount the Harbor Freight line of tools. Bauer and Hercules. They are dirt cheap and a pretty good, and an excellent bargain. When they go to shit, you have no regrets and buy a new one.

Last edited:
Since we have narrowed the scope, I have some Stanley, Husky, Makita, Porter Cable (great routers), Dewalt (they make a very good "lunchbox" planer), Ryobi, Bosch and Craftsman of course. I like Stanley tools since I am a hybrid guy with a lean toward hand tools. IMHO they still make some decent hand tools. I just about cried when a part of a table fell onto and broke my old Stanley 151 spokeshave last week. I am going to get another soon. hopefully I can fine tune the new one like the old one (different metal alloy?). Their sweetheart line is good, but now you are going up a few dollars.

Jet (Powermatic's value line) and Rikon make some decent stuff as well. However Jet power tools can get expensive. I don't own any, but I've used them.

Most of the power tools I use now are euro ones. I like the system approach. I won't go into it because it is outside of the scope of this thread.

I have a number of Craftsman tools with 20V interchangeable batteries. you can also buy a series of higher current levels on the Craftsman batteries = 2AH, 4AH and 8AH, so can run longer on same charge. I have a few Black & Decker on the cheap side.

Outside of Festool (and you will never find them on a job site EVER), I would (in order) go Hilti, with a tie between Milwaukee and Makita. It’s really about the batteries. DeWalt makes some great stuff, but sometimes it’s hit or miss. There is “pro” grade like Hilti, than Pro-Sumer, like Mikita and Milwaukee, Bosche, etc.., and then home use, Craftsman, Ryobi etc. Snap-On’s are also excellent, but you are limited to mechanical use (mostly true for Hilti also).

I was a Makita guy back the day and switched over to Bosch for about 3 years, not a fan. Now I have a mix of Milwaukee and Mikita.

Hitachi made great durable stuff and just bought Metabo. I would try the Hitachi/ Metabo. Might want to give that a look as well. Do your research on the Hitachi/Metabo before you buy because they are both now marketed under the Hitachi brand, but use different marketing terms to distinguish between the two line.
Yep, Hilti, Bosch, then Milwaukee. Mikita was great back in the day but seem to have dropped in quality.

Last edited:
Tommy and Norm are getting help ($$$) from Festool for displaying their gear. That said, Festool makes some really nice track-based sawing tools.

Reactions: STPGopherfan

I would also not discount the Harbor Freight line of tools. Bauer and Hercules. They are dirt cheap and a pretty good, and an excellent bargain. When they go to shit, you have no regrets and buy a new one.

I use 18v Makita and 12v Milwaukee platforms.

Edit: I assumed the OP was referring to cordless tools. For corded tools, I have a mix: Dewalt (table saw, thicknesser), milwaukee (router and angle grinder), Porter Cable (router), bosch (also a router and a random orbit sander), and Makita (chop saw, belt sander). Corded tools, I look at ratings and reviews and tool forum feedback rather than a particular brand.

Last edited:
Dewalt for no other reason than when I was a young buck I got “hand me down” power tools from others in my family and they worked well enough for my needs so just stuck with the brand.

If you’re looking for some comparisons across brands check out “Project Farm” on youtube. https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC2rzsm1Qi6N1X-wuOg_p0Ng
He does a bunch of comparison videos and on occasion will have tool vs tool kind of setups like this:

I use 18v Makita and 12v Milwaukee platforms.

Edit: I assumed the OP was referring to cordless tools. For corded tools, I have a mix: Dewalt (table saw, thicknesser), milwaukee (router and angle grinder), Porter Cable (router), bosch (also a router and a random orbit sander), and Makita (chop saw, belt sander). Corded tools, I look at ratings and reviews and tool forum feedback rather than a particular brand.
Ditto for the most part, 18v Makita 12v Milwaukee, Bosch table saw, DeWalt Miter, Porter Cable Nail guns, Milwaukee router, a couple of Dremels, etc, etc.

Reactions: GreggK
It's their system. That is the majority of my few power tools. Outside of the scope of the thread, but great stuff. I would love to get a Mafell circular saw, but I don't know if the support network is there.

It's cool technology but I'd have just zipped them off with a table saw or a good jigsaw or a circular saw. It didn't do anything special

I would really like to try the Mafell Erika pull - push saw as I believe it would be a perfect solution for my needs. However it is damn expensive and there’s no dealer network to give it a test spin or call if there an issue. Maybe some day...

Reactions: dmk228

To name a few.

I started with Dewalt and went to Rigid after I burned out a drill and a couple of batteries crapped out.

I have had Dewalts forever and they always have treated me well. Bought my first DW drill back in college at penn state. It’s still working great 20 years later.

My reason is an unusual one. I’m red-green colorblind and it’s easy for me to spot the DeWalt yellow. If I placed a Milwaukee cordless tool in the grass, I’d never see it and leave it behind.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with him. It's mostly about the user, not the tool itself. That is what I like about hand tools. If it's a one off woodworking project and I have the time, I'd rather use hand tools. It makes you think about the task at hand more. It also helps you develop/ hone skills. Plus you don't have to worry about batteries. Heck you can make most of your hand tools if you don't want to buy them.

For me working in a small space (basement) Festool power tools work for me. I have some of most of the brands (no Milwaukee or (Skill now)). I just like the system and that everything is integrated. I can take my extension from my miter saw stand and clamp it right to my table. I can run my router and jigsaw on the same rail as my circular (track saw) everything hooks up to a vacuum.

What I also like is that they helped push the others to develop tracksaws. Much safer than a non Saw stop or slider table saw.

Not for everyone, but it works for me. It reminds me of some advice I got from a very talented woodworker. "Think about how you want to work". It really helps bring things into perspective. I wish I would have thought like that earlier. I would have made a very nice bandsaw and a Jointer planer the center of my woodworking shop/ tools.

BTW One of the reasons you don't see many festool products at a jobsite is that they'd be gone if the contractor turned their back.

Reactions: sluggo72 and GreggK
I have had Dewalts forever and they always have treated me well. Bought my first DW drill back in college at penn state. It’s still working great 20 years later.

My reason is kind of a silly one. I’m red-green colorblind and it’s easy for me to spot the yellow. If I placed a Milwaukee cordless tool in the grass, I’d never see it and leave it behind.
There are two tools that Dewalt makes that I like. Their (old) planer and a radial arm saw.

I have this, but don't use it, because I need dust extraction. I don't really have the space for a good setup. That and I'd have to sound dampen the basement shop.

I like Hitachi drills . Got 18v lots of mileage without charging. The grinder and sawsall can run batteries down on metal working, like grinding down a weld or sawing stainless, but i'm good with that. Hitachi also interchanges the same batteries which is convenient.
There are brands i haven't tried Milwaukee is one i used professionally and was great but pricey. Dewalt started out great then went downhill , now i hear they are back again. Some others have better saws or grinders or sanders.
I like to have a feel for tools in stores, weight, blades, chucks, that's probably what it comes down to.

I don't disagree with him. It's mostly about the user, not the tool itself. That is what I like about hand tools. If it's a one off woodworking project and I have the time, I'd rather use hand tools. It makes you think about the task at hand more. It also helps you develop/ hone skills. Plus you don't have to worry about batteries. Heck you can make most of your hand tools if you don't want to buy them.

For me working in a small space (basement) Festool power tools work for me. I have some of most of the brands (no Milwaukee or (Skill now)). I just like the system and that everything is integrated. I can take my extension from my miter saw stand and clamp it right to my table. I can run my router and jigsaw on the same rail as my circular (track saw) everything hooks up to a vacuum.

What I also like is that they helped push the others to develop tracksaws. Much safer than a non Saw stop or slider table saw.

Not for everyone, but it works for me. It reminds me of some advice I got from a very talented woodworker. "Think about how you want to work". It really helps bring things into perspective. I wish I would have thought like that earlier. I would have made a very nice bandsaw and a Jointer planer the center of my woodworking shop/ tools.

BTW One of the reasons you don't see many festool products at a jobsite is that they'd be gone if the contractor turned their back.
I have a ton of Festool in my shop and really love them as a system. They’re expensive, yes, but if you know what you’re doing, they’re just so interchangeable and accurate.

I have a small big shop with a Powermatic 6” jointer (with Byrd Shelix head), 1.75HP dust collector, SawStop Professional cabinet saw, Laguna 14BX bandsaw, SuperMax 16-32 drum sander, DeWalt 735 planer with Byrd Shelix head, and a fantastic 18” Incra router table worth its weight in gold.

All of it was thoughtfully researched and purchased over a number of years. When I have more space, I’ll start with a Northfield 12 or 16 HD full on restoration.

I have a ton of Festool in my shop and really love them as a system. They’re expensive, yes, but if you know what you’re doing, they’re just so interchangeable and accurate.
?
I have a small big shop with a Powermatic 6” jointer (with Byrd Shelix head), 1.75HP dust collector, SawStop Professional cabinet saw, Laguna 14BX bandsaw, SuperMax 16-32 drum sander, DeWalt 735 planer with Byrd Shelix head, and a fantastic 18” Incra router table worth its weight in gold.

All of it was thoughtfully researched and purchased over a number of years. When I have more space, I’ll start with a Northfield 12 or 16 HD full on restoration.
Absolutely blew a golden opportunity at a Northfield Bandsaw a few years ago. Someone converted a Northfield 20 bandsaw to single phase 20 amp. What is nice about a Northfield, a Davis Wells, etc. is the mass. You could put a glass of water on one while it's running and hardly see a ripple. They are brutes.

I visited the Northfield shop once. Very foundry like. The machinery is so marvelously over engineered. I think that is why I would like one of their bandsaws so much. I am hoping to position myself to get a used/ refurbed one or just a new Felder or Minimax. But one of those or an old Davis and Wells would be awesome!

Is this the beast you desire? http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/jointers/jointers.htm I bet you could go straight to finish off of that machine.

Back to Festool. Like you I accumulated much of my stuff over years. I have a small, small shop. That is what sent me down the Euro highway to begin with. Great stuff. Really love my Domino joiner.

I have a Dewalt planer 735. It's still in the box. I've been holding out for a Hammer A-31 Jointer planer, and just sell the Dewalt. Right now, I just buy s4s or ask the place I buy wood from to send it through their Timesaver(giant industrial belt sander) if I think it's too much to do by hand. With that said my hand planes do most of the flattening or I use my RS2E Sander. Other than my festool power stuff My Jess-em router table with a Porter Cable router (7518?).

Absolutely blew a golden opportunity at a Northfield Bandsaw a few years ago. Someone converted a Northfield 20 bandsaw to single phase 20 amp. What is nice about a Northfield, a Davis Wells, etc. is the mass. You could put a glass of water on one while it's running and hardly see a ripple. They are brutes.

I visited the Northfield shop once. Very foundry like. The machinery is so marvelously over engineered. I think that is why I would like one of their bandsaws so much. I am hoping to position myself to get a used/ refurbed one or just a new Felder or Minimax. But one of those or an old Davis and Wells would be awesome!

Is this the beast you desire? http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/jointers/jointers.htm I bet you could go straight to finish off of that machine.

Back to Festool. Like you I accumulated much of my stuff over years. I have a small, small shop. That is what sent me down the Euro highway to begin with. Great stuff. Really love my Domino joiner.

I have a Dewalt planer 735. It's still in the box. I've been holding out for a Hammer A-31 Jointer planer, and just sell the Dewalt. Right now, I just buy s4s or ask the place I buy wood from to send it through their Timesaver(giant industrial belt sander) .

Hoping to make a couple of handplanes next year in addition to finishing a wooden smoother I started a few years ago. I love the other one I made. Such simple tools, but they do nice work.

Reactions: WestSideLion

I have a Dewalt planer 735. It's still in the box. I've been holding out for a Hammer A-31 Jointer planer, and just sell the Dewalt. Right now, I just buy s4s or ask the place I buy wood from to send it through their Timesaver(giant industrial belt sander) if I think it's too much to do by hand. With that said my hand planes do most of the flattening or I use my RS2E Sander. Other than my festool power stuff My Jess-em router table with a Porter Cable router (7518?).

I have a Dewalt planer 735. It's still in the box. I've been holding out for a Hammer A-31 Jointer planer, and just sell the Dewalt. Right now, I just buy s4s or ask the place I buy wood from to send it through their Timesaver(giant industrial belt sander) .

Hoping to make a couple of handplanes next year in addition to finishing a wooden smoother I started a few years ago. I love the other one I made. Such simple tools, but they do nice work.
The Northfield HD models are the ones...not new because those are $20k machines. I regularly see them for sale used in the $3k to $6k range. Newly refurbished go for a bit more.

They are the best and you’re right about the mass. 2200 lbs for the 16 HD!

The Hammer combo machine is great. I have coveted the A-41 at times, but my dream shop has a 22” or so planer in it. I can dream!

There used to be a local cabinet maker with a 36-in Timesaver who’d let me pay him to use it. He ran both sides of my Split Top Roubo bench through it. Fun project and the real envy in my shop...all Benchcrafted hardware...soft maple with Bubinga trim.

Don’t get me started on planes and hand tools!

To name a few.

Ridgid can’t beat the lifetime warranty but you have to register the tool and batteries

Reactions: GreggK
Binford
latest

Festool are awesome tools and if my hobbies warranted more woodchucking, that would be my set up. I LOVE the Festool storage system.

Lots of great info on here guys, I thank you! I had a feeling there would be some great opinions from this board.

I've heard good things about Lovehoney.....from second hand sources.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT