ADVERTISEMENT

Way out OT: Mars landing confirmed. (nfm)****

Late 1980's was a while ago, and I recall thinking - Mars? Get a landing on Mars, and possibly a manned mission there?
Now that it is coming to reality, I can say I know someone who worked on getting this trip and the manned mission going. My father-in-law worked at NASA Lewis in Cleveland and when he retired, I asked what his job was. That's when he said what he was working on there.
Heck, he's so darn smart, I don't think I could carry his slide rule!
For those in the Cleveland area, he also taught math at Tri-C for many years.

OL

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Late 1980's was a while ago, and I recall thinking - Mars? Get a landing on Mars, and possibly a manned mission there?
Now that it is coming to reality, I can say I know someone who worked on getting this trip and the manned mission going. My father-in-law worked at NASA Lewis in Cleveland and when he retired, I asked what his job was. That's when he said what he was working on there.
Heck, he's so darn smart, I don't think I could carry his slide rule!
For those in the Cleveland area, he also taught math at Tri-C for many years.

OL
I am NOT an expert, but the issue of cosmic radiation seems to be a huge barrier to human exploration of Mars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_threat_from_cosmic_rays

Reactions: ralphster
I don’t know if anyone knows the answer to this...are we improving the success rate for landing on Mars? Often we hear that the success rate is pretty grim with lots of failures. I’m curious if that assessment is improving.
NASA has not had a failure with Mars science missions in almost 20 years. The NASA Independent Verification and Validation Facility (located in Fairmont, WV) has had a good bit to do with the success rates of all science missions, including those to Mars. NASA IV&V has been involved with all science and manned missions (Shuttle, ISS, and Orion) since 1994.

Last edited:
I am NOT an expert, but the issue of cosmic radiation seems to be a huge barrier to human exploration of Mars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_threat_from_cosmic_rays
It's a problem, but one that NASA and its contractors have been working. Advancements in spacesuits, radiation detection, and radiation shields on spacecraft will reduce the risk associated with visiting and returning from Mars. There are pharmaceutical solutions being considered as well.

An unmanned mission to fly the Orion spacecraft in a retrograde orbit around the moon is scheduled to occur by end of 2020. A manned mission to fly a retrograde orbit around the moon is planned for 2022. The developer (Lockheed) is looking at getting to Mars by 2030.

It's a problem, but one that NASA and its contractors have been working. Advancements in spacesuits, radiation detection, and radiation shields on spacecraft will reduce the risk associated with visiting and returning from Mars. There are pharmaceutical solutions being considered as well.

An unmanned mission to fly the Orion spacecraft in a retrograde orbit around the moon is scheduled to occur by end of 2020. A manned mission to fly a retrograde orbit around the moon is planned for 2022. The developer (Lockheed) is looking at getting to Mars by 2030.
Thanks. Good to be brought up to speed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT