ADVERTISEMENT

What changes would you like to see to our football program to improve success in the near future?

Jerademan74

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
This can be anything from different coaches, upgraded positional players, weight training, game day coaching, recruiting, call playing, etc. For me, I would like to see a far better offensive scheme that maximizes our success based on existing talent. I feel that was the most disappointing part of our game last year, and we can't blame EVERYTHING on the lack of experience on the Offensive Line!

Yes, we can't blame EVERYTHING on the lack of experience on the Offensive Line! I can't believe some people still don't understand this

but to answer your question, I really wanted a good kicker and punter. Soo what does coach Franklin do? He gets the best of both. To me that is unreal that he pulled that off. We needed DT's? He gets 3 in a week. We need LBer's, he gets two over the weekend. I'm just thrilled we have this coach. Yea I got a man crush...this guy is amazing

This can be anything from different coaches, upgraded positional players, weight training, game day coaching, recruiting, call playing, etc. For me, I would like to see a far better offensive scheme that maximizes our success based on existing talent. I feel that was the most disappointing part of our game last year, and we can't blame EVERYTHING on the lack of experience on the Offensive Line!
Reduce seating capacity at Beaver Stadium to 90,000, making for more comfortable seating and increasing ticket demand. Change the official name to "Paterno Field at Beaver Stadium".

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Yes, we can't blame EVERYTHING on the lack of experience on the Offensive Line! I can't believe some people still don't understand this
offensively- when the line blocks, you have great backs, when the line doesn't block, the line sucks, so you might as well block. (Gino Hummel, look him up) Yes you can blame everything offensively on the OL, and when they do their job, CH will be PSU second Heisman winner!!!

The Beav is becoming a relic.

Way too many benches vs seats. That just needs to change, whether people want to admit it or not.

It is halfway thru 2015. Benches seats for the prices that are being asked = no longer acceptable.

but to answer your question, I really wanted a good kicker and punter. Soo what does coach Franklin do? He gets the best of both. To me that is unreal that he pulled that off. We needed DT's? He gets 3 in a week. We need LBer's, he gets two over the weekend. I'm just thrilled we have this coach. Yea I got a man crush...this guy is amazing
I agree, but the question now is whether CJF can coach as well as he can recruit? I honestly don't know if he can or can't, as last years offensive performance was so lackluster at times that it really begged to ask this question. That is why I said that we can't blame everything on the OL. Let's see what happens this year with improved overall talent and speed!

Full stadium -- every game.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Totally agree with Beaver Stadium becoming a relic. Went to my first Texas A&M game last season. They are going first class across the board with Kyle Field. Stadium is being built with intimidation AND comfort in mind. Would love to see reduced capacity, chair back seats and a renovation of the east and west stands. Press box and suites need to be moved down to the walkway and upper decks need to be built above the press box and suites. Brick the whole damn structure in and you'd have one of the top stadiums in the country.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Benches seats for the prices that are being asked = no longer acceptable

Yes, the benches are not state of the art... how is Penn State ever going to have the money to replace them? Changing to individual seats will reduce the number of seats, and create a little more demand, but not enough to pay for putting in the new seats.

All I want is a team which can be depended on to hold a lead. That was a real nice thing to have experienced for a good long spell while JVP was coach. For a good long time PSU with a lead at halftime was almost as reliable as death and taxes.

Reactions: Fayette_LION
The Beav is becoming a relic.

Way too many benches vs seats. That just needs to change, whether people want to admit it or not.

It is halfway thru 2015. Benches seats for the prices that are being asked = no longer acceptable.

OSU ticket prices are a lot higher and they have significantly more benches than seats (need a yearly seat license for the seats which are mainly owned by corporations - that is why you seen quite a few of those seats empty for games). Yet OSU has people in long waiting lists to get tickets.

The corporate thing is one of the reasons I hate OSU football - the games at the Shoe have a corporate feel to them - the high fallutin corporate people looking down their noses at the peon regular alumni and students. The atmosphere at the Beav is so much better.

I want a new conference. Specifically, the ACC. The B1G exists for two schools only. We saw that model fail with the Big 12 and Texas.

Reduce seating capacity at Beaver Stadium to 90,000, making for more comfortable seating and increasing ticket demand. Change the official name to "Paterno Field at Beaver Stadium".[/QUOTE

Keep the name as it stands ("Blah Blah Field at Suchnsuch Stadium" is never anything but awkward) Skip the tarps on the upper deck and simply price the seats and concessions modestly so the Jimmy's and the Joan's can afford to come to more than one contest each season... Restore Gameday VALUE and reinforce the experience as a FAMILY oriented event.... Repetitive shots to one's wallet wears quickly

This is the answer... getting rid of the bench seats would be nice, but it won't impact success on the field. Having 107K screaming fans at every home game is an advantage that few can compete with.
You are all crazy to want to downsize the seating capacity. Sure the games would be more comfortable for those who prefer to sit during a game in larger more cushy chairs. Well guess what...if our team was winning more frequently, nobody would be sitting as we would all be standing to see the next big play coming like we used to. The key is winning, and increased wins = sellouts. If we were as good as OSU was today, you could increase capacity to 150,000 seats and we'd sellout!!!!

OSU ticket prices are a lot higher and they have significantly more benches than seats (need a yearly seat license for the seats which are mainly owned by corporations - that is why you seen quite a few of those seats empty for games). Yet OSU has people in long waiting lists to get tickets.

The corporate thing is one of the reasons I hate OSU football - the games at the Shoe have a corporate feel to them - the high fallutin corporate people looking down their noses at the peon regular alumni and students. The atmosphere at the Beav is so much better.
I think a lot of Buckeye fans--if not most--would agree with you, though.

Good question. I feel this is the season we see what Franklin and his hand -picked staff do with their talent so I'm not recommending anything major on the coaching front until I've seen the on-field product.

That said, I do wish we had an O$U-quality AD, President, and BOT. They actually like and recognize the importance of a successful football program.

You are all crazy to want to downsize the seating capacity. Sure the games would be more comfortable for those who prefer to sit during a game in larger more cushy chairs. Well guess what...if our team was winning more frequently, nobody would be sitting as we would all be standing to see the next big play coming like we used to. The key is winning, and increased wins = sellouts. If we were as good as OSU was today, you could increase capacity to 150,000 seats and we'd sellout!!!!
I'm going to disagree. That may have been true 10 or 15 years ago when not every game was on TV, but many people today no longer want to watch games sitting on 12 inches of cold metal with knees in their back while paying a fortune in the process. More and more teams (college and pro) are coming to realize that fan comfort is critical to selling seats. It's far to easy to watch in the comfort of your own home.

Good question. I feel this is the season we see what Franklin and his hand -picked staff do with their talent so I'm not recommending anything major on the coaching front until I've seen the on-field product.

That said, I do wish we had an O$U-quality AD, President, and BOT. They actually like and recognize the importance of a successful football program.

This is NOT the season. JF has two classes, one Sophomores, and one true Freshman. The Sophomores were a very late start and are not indicative of what he is capable of recruiting (see 2015 and 2016). I think 2018 is the year it will all come together. He'll have a decent 2014 class remnants as 5th year guys, a very good 2015 class as seniors, and a great 2016 class as juniors. I believe he'll kick butt in 2018 and anything prior will be gravy.

Reactions: Westcoast24
I'm going to disagree. That may have been true 10 or 15 years ago when not every game was on TV, but many people today no longer want to watch games sitting on 12 inches of cold metal with knees in their back while paying a fortune in the process. More and more teams (college and pro) are coming to realize that fan comfort is critical to selling seats. It's far to easy to watch in the comfort of your own home.
Especially for night games in a place quite far from any major city.

Sorry Gambit, We agree on a lot but not this. The capacity is what makes the advantage. Can't change that.

Speaking strictly to this staff and where they are at for their tenure at PSU, the circumstances in which they entered and the immediate outlook, I don't know how we could say they're not doing everything the right way.

The one thing that the program needs to do moving forward is to upgrade the out of conference scheduling to a more national profile. I get that the slate was pretty much set in stone for the next 6 years or so before Franklin took over, but there needs to be a concerted effort to take this team that represents the largest alumni association in the world to all corners of the country. Apart from satisfying the alumni, you also will need at least one quality OOC game if you want to be in the mix for a playoff birth.

We will be conducting a facilities master plan for ICA in the next 12 months, but the early scuttlebutt is that if the current athletic administration had their way, there would not be improvements made to Beaver stadium, but instead, an all new stadium built. I think there's a lot working against that happening and it is only rumor at this point, so it will be interesting to see what happens with the master plan.

Sorry Gambit, We agree on a lot but not this. The capacity is what makes the advantage. Can't change that.
BMW: So true! Many people come to Beaver Stadium because it is the greatest show in College Football. Why? Because of the product, the size and emotion felt with such a large crowd. TV or not, if we were in the hunt for the B1G Championship and MNC every year, I guaranty a sellout every home game, regardless of the opponent! This will happen soon!

Reactions: bmw199
This is NOT the season. JF has two classes, one Sophomores, and one true Freshman. The Sophomores were a very late start and are not indicative of what he is capable of recruiting (see 2015 and 2016). I think 2018 is the year it will all come together. He'll have a decent 2014 class remnants as 5th year guys, a very good 2015 class as seniors, and a great 2016 class as juniors. I believe he'll kick butt in 2018 and anything prior will be gravy.
I respectfully disagree. Good coaches work with and improve the players they have. PSU now has a full roster and it is not unreasonable to expect technically sound, disciplined football at every position and a team that executes in unison.

An opponent may have better individuals at certain positions, but that is something that will take care of itself with time.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
If we can keep at or near capacity I will agree with you, and that certainly appears likely short term. If Franklin can coach as good as he recruits, we may prove to be an exception to what I perceive as fans demanding more and more creature comforts before forking out a small fortune for tickets. Even with added comforts, it may not be enough. Nationally, college football attendance in 2014 was its lowest in 14 years and student attendance is down over 7% since 2009. Still, we are unique in many ways and I obviously hope you are right.

1. More night games, but they can not control this.
2. Dig a hole and put the 'wildcat' offense in a grave. The only reason for Hackenberg to run to the sidelines during a play is to call time out.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
1. More night games, but they can not control this.
2. Dig a hole and put the 'wildcat' offense in a grave. The only reason for Hackenberg to run to the sidelines during a play is to call time out.

Like #2.

Night games are fine if you are local, young or well off. I know a parent of 2 PSU grads who lives in the Lehigh Val who doesn't go to night games unless he can catch a bunk at his friend's local hunting camp. He's not paying the exorbitant hotel rates and he's beyond the age of getting home at dawn's early light, and I don't blame him. There are any number of fans like him from the Lehigh and Del Val and all points north and south who are in the same boat.

I would like them to get rid of a lot of the nonsensical obnoxious music that they play over and over again during games. "We them boys", sia, and Kesha...come on.

And no I'm not old. They can just do better than that. They don't have to constantly be blaring the same songs.

I would like them to get rid of a lot of the nonsensical obnoxious music that they play over and over again during games. "We them boys", sia, and Kesha...come on.

And no I'm not old. They can just do better than that. They don't have to constantly be blaring the same songs.

I am semi-not old, I love music but there's a definite trend at certain places regarding music. Obviously PSU FB and MBB is obnoxious. You know that going in, but it's apparently what people want. OK, fine.

The Spikes have music blaring between every inning, they have ads and announcements between every out. But if you live in the "Centre Region" and you like baseball, go see a Curve game. They have 2 or 3 gimmicky things that you'd expect at a minor league game but other than that I was impressed at how old-school quiet it was between innings. No bullshit, no screaming crap, just a baseball game. I have to give the Curve a big nod for that. Penn State football is never going back to something like that, I'm just saying it's refreshing to not have to scream over every out or every down.

We will be conducting a facilities master plan for ICA in the next 12 months, but the early scuttlebutt is that if the current athletic administration had their way, there would not be improvements made to Beaver stadium, but instead, an all new stadium built. I think there's a lot working against that happening and it is only rumor at this point, so it will be interesting to see what happens with the master plan.

I could see this. The Beav is old tech. One concern, though, is weight. The area around PSU has a lot of limestone caverns and the like.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT