ADVERTISEMENT

What I learned from Coach Franklin

ELammers

Staff
Oct 21, 2021
My name is Eric Lammers and I started with Rivals about six weeks ago. Before that I worked for Vanderbilt Football as Director of Recruiting. The man responsible for taking a chance at the college level on a teacher and football coach from Ohio would be none other than Coach Franklin. I had the privilege of working with Coach Franklin, Andy Frank and others on the current staff for 2 years before Coach took the Penn State job. They did offer me the opportunity to join them in Happy Valley as a recruiting GA but Coach Mason also gave me an opportunity to stay in Nashville and a path to a Director role so I chose to stay put and thankfully Coach and Andy were supportive of that decision.

I wanted to drop by because I saw the decommitment of Jordan Allen over the weekend. One thing I know from my time with Coach, there is always a plan for every scenario and situation when it comes to each committed and uncommitted prospect, and they are discussed daily. When a young man commits to Coach and his staff, it is clearly communicated to them, that’s it for visits. Once they want to test the waters elsewhere, they are no longer going to be considered a commit.

Now we all know every case is really handled individually and it usually has a lot to do with how highly regarded the prospect is, but communication is still key. I will say though, sometimes down the stretch when you have such a studded out / Big class put together, losing one or two via decommitment or whatever the reason may be isn’t always a bad thing. New holes may have come open that are more of a priority to fill and or better fish available in general, and that’s why talking through everything constantly and always having a plan is critical. There are always going to be a few pros and cons when you consider how to proceed following a decommitment. Regardless though you plan for everything, even if it may never come to fruition and with that, Coach is one of the best in the business.

Also just to get this out of the way, at this time I do not have any insight if Coach Franklin is considering any other jobs, but I will definitely be around and share what I can when I can.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News