ADVERTISEMENT

What individuals do you cheer against?

Allegiance to PSU over USA then huh?

I am with @Nitlion1986 on this. I had no problem rooting against the US Women's Soccer Team because I was not sure of some of them having allegiance to the USA. The Big Bad Soviet Union is gone. We don't need to dominate the Olympics to prove anything globally anymore. If I don't like you as a person or agree with your actions, I am not cheering for you only because you have USA on your uniform.

Exactly the opposite of fact. Booing the opposition or voicing wishes that a student athlete (who may compete in opposition) fails are demonstrably different than and not required for cheering for another or voicing wishes for individual or team of one's own alma mater's success.
You realize you can root against the success of an athlete in a sport without booing or wishing them failure? There are more than 2 options when it comes to rooting against. As stated before if you are rooting for wrestler A to win you are in fact rooting for wrestler B to lose. There is no other option if you have a winner then to have a loser. And when wrestler B loses and walks off the mat you can still respect him and his efforts and wish him well personally in life and root against him in his next match.
Exactly the opposite of fact. Booing the opposition or voicing wishes that a student athlete (who may compete in opposition) fails are demonstrably different than and not required for cheering for another or voicing wishes for individual or team of one's own alma mater's success.

If Spencer and RBY end up wrestling each other in the Olympics I won't have any qualms at all rooting for RBY. There is nothing out there that would cause me to artificially cheer for Spencer over a fellow PSUer.
So you would root against Spencer victory in that match?

Yianni Diakomihalis

I genuinely liked him until the whole lawsuit thing. I never root against Team USA members, but he made it difficult. Thankfully he’s no threat for that anymore.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
I am with @Nitlion1986 on this. I had no problem rooting against the US Women's Soccer Team because I was not sure of some of them having allegiance to the USA. The Big Bad Soviet Union is gone. We don't need to dominate the Olympics to prove anything globally anymore. If I don't like you as a person or agree with your actions, I am not cheering for you only because you have USA on your uniform.

That's the exception. Bend the knee while wearing the flag. I'm not cheering for you. Other than that, I consider any Murican that isn't cheering for the USA, a commie sympathizer. (Half joking)

giphy.gif

if you are rooting for wrestler A to win you are in fact rooting for wrestler B to lose
In fact no. Your schema limits rooting to Ws and Ls. Thereby trying to define the contestants in that way. I don't do that.

I am rooting for something different. I am ambivalent to wrestler B. I wish wrestler B to similarly find success and growth from the contest regardless of its outcome. I am not made materially more happy by wrestler A's victory.

And the way I root comports well with how I understand PSU wrestling coaches' philosophy. So I am fine with how I root.

In fact no. Your schema limits rooting to Ws and Ls. Thereby trying to define the contestants in that way. I don't do that.

I am rooting for something different. I am ambivalent to wrestler B. I wish wrestler B to similarly find success and growth from the contest regardless of its outcome. I am not made materially more happy by wrestler A's victory.

And the way I root comports well with how I understand PSU wrestling coaches' philosophy. So I am fine with how I root.
That is a rather naive concept used to make yourself feel more self-aware. You can root for wins or losses as you say but if thats the case then no need to watch the contest with any vested interest. No need to be a fan of any specific wrestling team. Under your premise if AJ Ferrari wrestled Aaron Brooks to a competitive and fair wrestling match you would have the same internal feeling about the outcome if either guy won? Maybe your completely devoid of feelings which I would suspect would make you inhuman. I have not asked Cael but if Brooks and Ferrari both wrestled the perfect competitive match he would still want Aaron to win. If that was not the case when Davis got taken to his back and still won the match against Ohio State in his post match comments he would have said so rather than considering the long term mental well-being of his wrestler.

That is a rather naive concept used to make yourself feel more self-aware.
It need not be so, simply because you believe it is.

From coaching young persons, I am very aware that there is nothing to be gained from rooting against the opposing team in favor of your own. Absolutely nothing. And as this is the case, I have learned not to waste energy on rooting against.

Coaches both have a vested interest while refraining from rooting against. I'm sorry if you are having trouble understanding this to the point of a weak attempt to insult my intentions.

Per your hypothetical, my rooting for Aaron Brooks does not mean I need deride AJ in the process. And if AJ should win, he would've earned it. And though I might be disappointed for Aaron for not reaching his goals, I wouldn't be saddened in the least.

Buddhists know how not to have so strong attachments and aversions, and they are most certainly human.

I missed wherever it was where Cael said he was rooting against Vince Kilkeary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nitlion1986
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT