ADVERTISEMENT

What I've seen from Hippenhammer the last 2 years...

Josh Helmholdt

Sep 23, 2001
First saw Hippenhammer winter after his sophomore year. Immediately impressed by him. Even at that age he was such a technician, so fundamentally sound. And he always seemed bigger than his listed 6-0. Not sure what it is, but he just plays bigger than his measurables. When Rivals first ranked the 2018 class we had him ranked right up there with the BCS caliber receivers even though he was not getting those offers yet. It was obvious they were in his future.

Fast-forward a year and surprisingly the first time I saw Hippenhammer this off-season was not until June at Notre Dame's camp. Obviously, as you can tell by the comments above, I had high expectations for Hippenhammer but what I saw in June surpassed that. The questions early in his career were always about his athleticism and whether he was just a technician. Well, that camp showed me (and other performances this summer proved it as well) that Hippenhammer had really developed the playmaking aspect of his game and a lot of that is predicated on his speed and explosiveness. Even at a very talented camp like ND had, Hippenhammer was a tier quicker than everyone else there. He has the explosiveness to play the slot position and creat space for himself in small confines. Combine that with his fundamentals proficiency and this is a really nice pick up. Mac will be rising in the WR rankings when they are updated later this month.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News