ADVERTISEMENT

Which CFB programs are sleeping giants?

LafayetteBear

Gold Member
Dec 1, 2009
Found this discussion on a reddit board. Some references to PSU, but to a lot of other schools as well. I was mildly surprised the thread did not descend into a bunch of posturing and name calling, as so many of these threads on national sports boards seem to do.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/4nlmqm/which_teams_are_sleeping_giants/

Also got a kick out of some of the "sleeping" categories: dozing, light sleep, REM sleep, comatose, etc.

Us of course, but if UCF or USF can get it all together with the right coach, in a recruiting rich state, could make a good bit of noise.

Miami, under Richt, I think will be formidable in a few years.

Texas is certainly underachieving at the present time.

What is hilarious is that Pitt is only mentioned because a Pitt fan suggested they be added.

When will Pitt fans learn? They've been waiting for over 30 years for Pitt to 'wake up'. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 35 times...

Us of course, but if UCF or USF can get it all together with the right coach, in a recruiting rich state, could make a good bit of noise.

Miami, under Richt, I think will be formidable in a few years.

Texas is certainly underachieving at the present time.

UCF has made a very good choice for head coach. He's very smart, young, and as a successful former player, can relate to the kids. He is making inroads in Florida, and will be a force in 2-3 years.

Found this discussion on a reddit board. Some references to PSU, but to a lot of other schools as well. I was mildly surprised the thread did not descend into a bunch of posturing and name calling, as so many of these threads on national sports boards seem to do.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/4nlmqm/which_teams_are_sleeping_giants/

Also got a kick out of some of the "sleeping" categories: dozing, light sleep, REM sleep, comatose, etc.

Dozing- Oklahoma

Light sleep- Georgia, Notre Dame

REM sleep- USC, PSU, Texas, Tennessee, UCLA, Miami, VA Tech, Nebraska

Comatose- Colorado, Washington,

Last edited:
As was previously mentioned...Rutgers. They've been sleeping since November 6, 1869.

As was previously mentioned...Rutgers. They've been sleeping since November 6, 1869.

In fairness --- Rutgers did win that first game.

They've only been comatose since 13-November-1869. 53,537 days instead of 53,544 days. :)

I believe Miami, Texas, and Tennessee are the biggest, all 3 are close and could dominate.

USF and UCF? USF had one good year and sucks again, UCF has never been able to compete with Flordia, FSU, and Miami.

Yeah, I left Rutgers and Pitt off my list. Even the 'comatose' category doesn't fit them. Need to add another category like 'long time dead and forgotten'. ;)

Pitt's not sleeping, Pitt's deceased. It's final resting place is one of those secret rental facilities where they cut off the head and freeze it, hoping someday they'll figure out how to revive it and bring it back to life.

I think it's Heinz Field.....and so sad to see no family members ever come to visit. May they rest in piece(s)!

Texas is baffling. They have more money than anybody in major college football, they live in the most football mad state in the country, and they have been bad for quite some time now. They kept Mack for far too long, and it's not clear that in Charlie Strong they have the right guy to turn it around.

Reactions: psu00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT