ADVERTISEMENT

White out is versus Washington in November

And Washington could be weak everything. We don't really know, they basically had complete starting roster and coaching turnover. They could be the best or worst team in the conference for all we know, they are a huge wild card going into the season.
And being a late season game they could come in with a couple few loses but may be far improved by then

Haven’t looked at their schedule so aren’t predicting anything….

And being a late season game they could come in with a couple few loses but may be far improved by then

Haven’t looked at their schedule so aren’t predicting anything….
Great point. They play USC the week before us (we play tOSU). By the time they play us, they'll also have played Michigan and Iowa. They finish the year with Oregon.

The crowd and atmosphere will be phenomenal regardless of it being a White Out or not for Ohio State.
Not as good as a White Out but why do you care anyway? We have no shot and the fans will make no difference so might as well play with no fans.

Do we want a 13-0 BT champ #1 or 2 seed or a White Out sleet out #5-8 versus (insert SEC gump #3 runner up) ??????

Would thumping Clay Travers 9-3 Tennessee team in the snow and the fun of that br worth missing a week off?

I'm old enough to remember that when PSU put in lights they "promised" no night games in Nov. So far they have lived up to that promise but TV rules so I doubt PSU remembers or cares.

I'm old enough to remember that when PSU put in lights they "promised" no night games in Nov. So far they have lived up to that promise but TV rules so I doubt PSU remembers or cares.
Should they care? Night games in Novemeber arent a bad thing. Happens I'm countless other cities in the northeast.

Maybe it’s just me, but I believe the most impactful visual of the white out is the opening of the broadcast through the first defensive series. 3:30 kick puts that in the daylight. Not any better than a noon kick IMO
You have a point, but noon kickoffs at PSU are notoriously "slow" from the crowd participation standpoint. Much better at 3:30 PM when at least most everyone will be in their seat by gametime.

Why doesn't it surprise me that YOU think promises aren't worth keeping.
Lol things change...you adapt. Again, what is the issue with a night game in November? When the "promise" was made the Big Ten didn't have November night games. Now they do. Why are you upset about a November night game aside from the silly notion that a statement made would be true forever?

Lol things change...you adapt. Again, what is the issue with a night game in November? When the "promise" was made the Big Ten didn't have November night games. Now they do. Why are you upset about a November night game aside from the silly notion that a statement made would be true forever?
A) It could be very cold w snow. Could be very uncomfortable and even miserable.

B) The Beav is unique in that it is a huge stadium in a small town. People travel long distances to games. A lot of them on country roads and highways. Dangerous and difficult.

C) We have massive grass parking lots. November is often very wet for days at a time. Could be a nightmare.

D) November is often drizzly, heavy overcast, windy. Terrible photos. Oct is usually beautiful weather, trees turning, perfect temps. Much better for Chamber of Commerce and more importantly…..RECRUITING!!!

• Haha
Reactions: mgkpsu and GSPMax
A) It could be very cold w snow. Could be very uncomfortable and even miserable.

B) The Beav is unique in that it is a huge stadium in a small town. People travel long distances to games. A lot of them on country roads and highways. Dangerous and difficult.

C) We have massive grass parking lots. November is often very wet for days at a time. Could be a nightmare.

D) November is often drizzly, heavy overcast, windy. Terrible photos. Oct is usually beautiful weather, trees turning, perfect temps. Much better for Chamber of Commerce and more importantly…..RECRUITING!!!
A It can be cold and uncomfortable at noon in November
B Is it less dangerous or difficult at 8pm after a 330 game?
C Isn't that true for any start time
D We have play in November--the start time doesn't impact that. No recruit is coming here for a night game in November expecting it to be 80 and sunny or to get awesome photos of orange leaves.

I don't understand the point you are trying to make. Each of these things are still concerns for a noon or 3:30 kickoff as well.

I don't understand the point you are trying to make. Each of these things are still concerns for a noon or 3:30 kickoff as well.
His point is that you want to optimize the premier event for PSU football if not all of college athletics. You don't want to mitigate it.

If people can't wear white, get stuck in the parking lot and have an accident because they have to drive home at midnight on slippery roads that would be a failure to properly plan.

His point is that you want to optimize the premier event for PSU football if not all of college athletics. You don't want to mitigate it.

If people can't wear white, get stuck in the parking lot and have an accident because they have to drive home at midnight on slippery roads that would be a failure to properly plan.
People can still wear white and all of that can happen at any time. This isn't a valid complaint here. If you don't want to go to a night game in November then don't. Others will.

A) White Out should be at night as the optics are sensational……

B) ……therefore it should be in early/mid October.
You realize the complaint isn't strictly about White Outs. It's about not wanting any night games in November based on a "promise" made years ago not anticipating the changes that occurred.

People can still wear white and all of that can happen at any time. This isn't a valid complaint here. If you don't want to go to a night game in November then don't. Others will.
BS. If it is 25 degrees people will wear winter coats. I don't own a white winter coat, do you? And if you feel that people can just get a white trash bag or poncho, you've never worked in retail. The more "friction" you add the less participation you will get. So add in a day game against a rival that doesn't excite you then factor in the drinking and then ask them to put on a white trash bag. You'll still get the majority to wear white but it won't take too many to decline and ruin the event. Neither you or me really knows for certain.

BS. If it is 25 degrees people will wear winter coats. I don't own a white winter coat, do you? And if you feel that people can just get a white trash bag or poncho, you've never worked in retail. The more "friction" you add the less participation you will get. So add in a day game against a rival that doesn't excite you then factor in the drinking and then ask them to put on a white trash bag. You'll still get the majority to wear white but it won't take too many to decline and ruin the event. Neither you or me really knows for certain.
Could a sponsored 'White-Out Poncho' be a conventional NIL opportunity for PSU?

To further increase sales, you could also make them available to fans who may not be able to attend via online.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I am sure Penn State went through some kind of deliberate decision tree to arrive at the 11/9 White Out vs UDub as the best option.

-4 potential WO games, Illinois late Sept, UCLA early Oct, OSU early Nov, UDub esrly/mid Nov

- They had to decide and rank their priorities for the game.....best weather. Time of game, quality of opponent

- They chose time of game #1, quality of opponent #1A and weather #3

We wanted OSU but they are at noon so they drop out due to failing our #1 priority

UCLA and Illinois are good on time of game and weather but lose out on quality of opponent and that is one of the top priorities.

UDub hits the mark on time of game and quality of opponent, the most important priorities. Weather is a risk but PSU is willing to take that risk as they see that as a lower priority.

Note: Time of game includes 3:30 and 7pm kickoffs as preferred. PSU may have been able to negotiate with the networks that they will have a 7pm kickoff and used the fact that we have to push this game to 11/9 to get the best opponent possible (not great for weather) so we want assurance it will be at 7pm to maximize WO atmosphere.

There's countless white options to throw over a blue or black or pink or any color winter coat. You're worrying about nothing.

Regarding the Whiteout and NIL, would PSU be allowed to sell naming rights to a corporate sponsor for their annual showcase game to raise additional NIL funds?

And if allowable, what type of potential revenue could be generated?

I guess it's old fashioned in 2024 to think that promises matter and should be kept. If so I'm glad I'm old fashioned.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
I guess it's old fashioned in 2024 to think that promises matter and should be kept. If so I'm glad I'm old fashioned.
It's not old-fashioned. It's absurd to think something that was said 1984 (I was 8 and I'm almost 50 now) has any meaning at all today. The world is completely different. You're just desperately (and irrationally) clinging to the past. There is no such thing as a promise about a schedule that last for eternity. You have to be rational.

It's not old-fashioned. It's absurd to think something that was said 1984 (I was 8 and I'm almost 50 now) has any meaning at all today. The world is completely different. You're just desperately (and irrationally) clinging to the past. There is no such thing as a promise about a schedule that last for eternity. You have to be rational.
Not all of us lack integrity. Promises don't expire because they don't suit your purposes or mine.

Not all of us lack integrity. Promises don't expire because they don't suit your purposes or mine.
This is the worst argument made on this board. Times change. A November night game in 2024 isn't remotely the same as one in 1984. You're creating a reason to be upset over nothing. Not a single person has come up with a reason a November night game is different than a November 3pm start.

Learn to accept change and to adapt. You're not old fashioned. You're ridiculous.

It's also a very safe bet that no one that made that promise is still in charge. A new regime doesn't have to honor the past promises. They fix them when they're stupid and illogical like this one.

Last edited:
This is the worst argument made on this board. Times change. A November night game in 2024 isn't remotely the same as one in 1984. You're creating a reason to be upset over nothing. Not a single person has come up with a reason a November night game is different than a November 3pm start.

Learn to accept change and to adapt. You're not old fashioned. You're ridiculous.

It's also a very safe bet that no one that made that promise is still in charge. A new regime doesn't have to honor the past promises. They fix them when they're stupid and illogical like this one.
Assuming you are employed. I hope your employer cuts your pay in half without saying a word. You better not complain because the old boss is gone and times change so don't be ridiculous to expect them to honor their prior commitment to you. That would be ridiculous so sit down shut up and accept the change. It was stupid and ridiculous to be paying you that out of date salary.

I really hope that happens to you and you better be consistent and not complain.

Assuming you are employed. I hope your employer cuts your pay in half without saying a word. You better not complain because the old boss is gone and times change so don't be ridiculous to expect them to honor their prior commitment to you. That would be ridiculous so sit down shut up and accept the change. It was stupid and ridiculous to be paying you that out of date salary.

I really hope that happens to you and you better be consistent and not complain.
How would salary go down if it's "out of date"?
And if I didn't like the change I'd leave. I wouldn't bitch about it. If you don't like the change then don't attend the games. You have an option.
Again, this is so petty there aren't even words and you've yet to provide any real problem with a night game vs a 330 game other than 40 years someone said there wouldn't be night games in November.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT