• 184 Rasheed

• 197 Nickal

• Heavy Cassar

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cali_Nittany

Jan 5, 2016
The PRC
125 - Schnupp

I've never been so happy being so wrong with my "Know your Penn State Wrestlers" predictions. Great weekend of wrestling for Schnupp.

133 - RBY

Matrix part deux? Wowser! @IAChief32, you were right. He's pretty good.

141 - Lee

Tenacious

149 - Verk

Gumby knee. I was wincing with pain watching that.

157 - Nolf

Unreal. Nolf got a good work out today.

165 - Joseph

Another day, another domination. It's kind of weird to say this about a 2 time champ, but I think Joseph has risen to another level this year.

174 - Hall

"Like a leech" Hall was full on tactical today.

184 - Rasheed

After so many quick matches, it's good to see Shakur has a nice rotisserie chicken powered gas tank. "He's not just a cradle man."

197 - Nickal

Anyone concerned that Nickal is too slow @197? Lol

Heavy - Cassar

LP took a 10 minute cold shower after that one. I want a calendar too LP.

Unfortunately, I'm limited to 10 questions for the poll. I wanted to add LemonPie to the list for his gif making abilities. Thanks LP!

Since there were so many great performances, I set the selections at 3.

Love Roman Bravo Young. He looks like a cat on a hot tin roof on the mat. The cart wheel to get out of the single leg of the Lehigh wrestler had Shane Sparks close to spastic pleasure. Well... I know most will say Shane is always that way.

Jason Nolf... just let the ref raise his hand at the beginning of the match and let his opponent wrestle an exhibition. His opponent has no chance. I agree... Cenzo looks like he's on another level this year. He looks like he wants to mix it up and be physical with his opponents so far this year. Shak's been teaching him the nuances of the cross face cradle which was my go to move. It's literally unstoppable as Ed Ruth and Shak have proved. I used to have guys underneath me cry out in pain and give in to locking my hands as soon as I got the leg. Loved being a taller guy and using my leverage to wrap bigger guys up. Ed Ruth and Shak perfected it on the college level. Shak has passed on the technique to Jason Nolf and Cenzo who perfected the move today. Bringing the face to the opposite knee never looked so easy.

Anthony Cassar.... boy... you go get that National Title. No heavy weight is as fast as Antony and or uses that speed like AC... minus Kyle Snyder and I'd swear AC is quicker than him to the legs. Bo Nickal... you were on the same top tin roof too and too slow for 197? I think all the other mice in the NCAA are afraid you'll come off that roof when you finally land from last years celebration in Cael's arms.

This team is damn good... just like I like it. And Ohio State will be 2nd again this year. Wash, rinse... repeat.

Reactions: jschrantz
So, with all of the talk about Cassar, how do you folks think he matches up with Gabble?
I am becoming more intrigued by this matchup as the weeks go by. It seems to have the makings of a great match. Speed and quickness vs size and strength. Which wrestler executes his game better and can finish in the 3rd period? I think this could be as good a heavyweight match as we have seen since Snyder v Gwiz.

Everyone ???

That was about as complete a dual meet you’ll ever see.

I know Lehigh has injuries; but - did they even register a single takedown ??

————-

Q: How insane is this team ?

A: Ol Noodle Arms techs a ranked kid & has zero votes so far.
Lehigh had one takedown, I believe. But I’m still thinking.

So, with all of the talk about Cassar, how do you folks think he matches up with Gabble?

I dont know who will win, so I think that says a ton about what I think of the Raptor.

What I do know, is that Gable will only do his punk stuff once.

#NeverAngertheRaptor

A very unfair representation of Lehigh with 5 starters out.

Take Nolf, Nicole, Joseph, RBY, and Hall out of PSU lineup. Would PSU have beaten a full Lehigh line-up.

With their starters in, imo lehigh has a very good team. Not today.

This weekend was the first I've taken the opportunity to watch Gables matches. Wow his shots are fast for a guy his size. Raptor vs Gable could be very exciting.

Reactions: diggerpup
None of the above.

Signed,
Mike Evans

giphy.gif

The cart wheel to get out of the single leg of the Lehigh wrestler had Shane Sparks close to spastic pleasure. Well... I know most will say Shane is always that way.

I like Shane doing the PBP. So much better and more exciting than the Gibbons/Johnson duo which is a snooze fest. Shane knows his stuff. He's very passionate about wrestling and loves sports. He makes a few mistakes but usually when he's excited and he corrects himself. I like how he said today his next assignment when PSU is televised is to find out how much Cassar benches, "a washer, dryer and refrigerator".

I am becoming more intrigued by this matchup as the weeks go by. It seems to have the makings of a great match. Speed and quickness vs size and strength. Which wrestler executes his game better and can finish in the 3rd period? I think this could be as good a heavyweight match as we have seen since Snyder
Raptor kept Woods down today
Did raptor get a minute of riding time? That could be the key to Gable.

I am becoming more intrigued by this matchup as the weeks go by. It seems to have the makings of a great match. Speed and quickness vs size and strength. Which wrestler executes his game better and can finish in the 3rd period? I think this could be as good a heavyweight match as we have seen since Snyder v Gwiz.
So, who is the speed and quickness, and who is the size and strength? I found Gahbell to be very quick, and not a super big heavyweight.

I dont know who will win, so I think that says a ton about what I think of the Raptor.

What I do know, is that Gable will only do his punk stuff once.

#NeverAngertheRaptor
All I know is that I'll be rooting for him to beat Gahblee. For one, I loathe MN as much as I do the Sqwawkers, and it took two matches of watching Gabble to realize that I can't take his punk style.

Want to see him get his butt handed to him by someone and bring him down to earth.

Last edited:

Coming into this year I honestly thought Nevills would hold onto the starter spot and be a top guy at his weight. I don't know if Nevills has fully recovered from his off-season surgery, but he looked pretty good at the Keystone Classic vs everyone not named Cassar. As far as Cassar vs Gable, I'd still favor Gable, but that margin shrinks after seeing things like I saw today.

Raptor kept Woods down today
Did raptor get a minute of riding time? That could be the key to Gable.

Yep, he got a riding time point. Iirc, he was over a minute by the end of the first period, was out in less than 10 seconds to start the 2nd period, and Woods took neutral in the 3rd. He probably ended up with a couple of minutes.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
Coming into this year I honestly thought Nevills would hold onto the starter spot and be a top guy at his weight. I don't know if Nevills has fully recovered from his off-season surgery, but he looked pretty good at the Keystone Classic vs everyone not named Cassar. As far as Cassar vs Gable, I'd still favor Gable, but that margin shrinks after seeing things like I saw today.
Matchup is everything. We've seen A beat B, B beat C, and C beat A, screwing up the idea that there's a transitive property in wrestling. Then there's the whole bad-matchup thing where a lower ranked guy keeps beating a higher ranked guy. Point is...no amount of data/info will help us.

No idea how Anthony vs Gable goes, I just know I hope it happens. Two athletic big guys, both transcending dancing bears. FUN!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Antaeus
I don't remember it...

Byers said we gave up zero takedowns. I don't remember that ever happening. Also, first time we ever shutout Lehigh.

Meanwhile, the answer to the OP question is Cassar. I am happy to once again (and I will to do it many more times) be happy and eat crow that I was WAY off in my estimation of how good Cassar would be at 285. Today's performance was off the charts impressive.

Matchup is everything. We've seen A beat B, B beat C, and C beat A, screwing up the idea that there's a transitive property in wrestling. Then there's the whole bad-matchup thing where a lower ranked guy keeps beating a higher ranked guy. Point is...no amount of data/info will help us.

No idea how Anthony vs Gable goes, I just know I hope it happens. Two athletic big guys, both transcending dancing bears. FUN!!

I think there is some info to be gleaned from Cassar, just as it relates to how he'll perform as a heavyweight in general. He has looked excellent so far.

So, who is the speed and quickness, and who is the size and strength? I found Gahbell to be very quick, and not a super big heavyweight.

Yes. Gable is very quick and nimble. If those two make it to the final (I surely hope so), it could be the most entertaining hwt. final ever, or at least in a very long time.

A very unfair representation of Lehigh with 5 starters out.

Take Nolf, Nicole, Joseph, RBY, and Hall out of PSU lineup. Would PSU have beaten a full Lehigh line-up.

With their starters in, imo lehigh has a very good team. Not today.
Disagree completely. Starters in would not made much difference today at all. 125 for sure. Maybe made a couple closer.

125 - Farro wins against Schnupp most likely.

133 - Would not surprise me if Paetzel is the starter for the rest of the year. Something seems to be up here and I know the younger Parker has left the team. Just interneting here but there seems to be some smoke. Regardless, I think the best Parker does is save Lehigh a team point here. Maybe. Paetzel is tough.

141 - This is Lehighs starter unless Karam decides to drop down here. Again, regardless, not much difference here. Pomrinca has beaten Karam before and is a 1b for them. With Moran they have a 1c. Not a lot of separation between their options. Pomrinca is very tough and stingy on defense. Lee almost getting a TF here was a very good performance. I don't think there's any difference in team score no matter who they throw out today with how Lee wrestled.

149. Karam if he goes this weight. Other option is Schuyler. Hoffman is pretty tough, not a significant drop off from those two. The other two may be better but I dont think either gets the win against Verk. Maybe Karam has a shot. Maybe, but haven't seen him at this weight yet. We throw out Berge and the point is moot.

157 You saw the best Lehigh had to offer there. That kid is better than Lane.

165 - Walter is better but what the hell is the difference against Cenzo.

174 - best Lehighs got

184 - makes a difference. Preisch would have been a good matchup for Rasheed

197 - all 3 options Lehigh has are close. Weiler may be the best of them by a hair. Jakobsen was actually their best option here IMO because of his ability on top. Maybe he rides a bit and slows the match down enough to not end early. He didn't. Neither would the other two.

285 - Best Lehighs got. Shocking domination. Wood is no joke.

1. PSU wrestled really well today at home. Its early but this could be the best PSU team ever and they could make all opponents look silly. Would it shock you if Iowa came in to Rec Hall this year and we took 9 out of 10? Right now I doubt we would lose more than 2.

2. Lehigh is a solid dual team but early thoughts they could be top 5 were overly optimistic.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the info, folks. I'm also a fan of active heavyweights. I know that this is taboo on this site, but I still list Tommy Rowlands as one of the best overall wrestlers, regardless of weight class, that I watched. Loved his quick, active style.

A couple of years ago we had Blaize Cabell at UNI, who converted to heavyweight his last two years. He was also another exciting heavyweight who put a lot of points on the board.

Weights PSU under Cael still needs a NC
Hwt

heres to Raptor crossing off another one.

odd fact #1.... PSU pre Cael 21 NC in our history

So far in the Cael era 20. Which could be 4 more in a few months

odd fact #2 PSU pre Cael 2 2xNC and 0 3x NCs

So far in the Cael era 7 2xNC and as of now 2 3x NCs. Which could 5 3xers in a few months.

Since 2011 and QW we are the only team in the NCAA (i think) to crown at least 1 NC each year.

Im finally done with girls soccer for the day and sat down to watch the match. BTN had a graphic about our returning champs and it prompted me to think on it.

Weights PSU under Cael still needs a NC
Hwt

heres to Raptor crossing off another one.

odd fact #1.... PSU pre Cael 21 NC in our history

So far in the Cael era 20. Which could be 4 more in a few months

odd fact #2 PSU pre Cael 2 2xNC and 0 3x NCs

So far in the Cael era 7 2xNC and as of now 2 3x NCs. Which could 5 3xers in a few months.

Since 2011 and QW we are the only team in the NCAA (i think) to crown at least 1 NC each year.

Im finally done with girls soccer for the day and sat down to watch the match. BTN had a graphic about our returning champs and it prompted me to think on it.
Hah - I was just looking at pre Cael v Cael eras yesterday and noticed some of those stats. The PSWC still has to catch up on some things as Cael is quickly rewriting the record books.

Reactions: diggerpup
Last edited:
Reactions: IndyNit93
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT