ADVERTISEMENT

Who is your "don't sleep on" player for 2024

Marylovesthelions

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2008
Mt Dora FL
Mine in Dante Cephus.
He showed some amazing recieving skills at the end of the year.
IMO a much simpler offense will eliminate his obvious route running errors. Our new OC will find a way to use this kid's ability to catch the ball. He is a player that Drew can target and know he will catch anything even close.

Mine in Dante Cephus.
IMO a much simpler offense will eliminate his obvious route running errors. Our new OC will find a way to use this kid's ability to catch the ball. He is a player that Drew can target and know he will catch anything even close.
I hope you're right! We certainly need him to step up in 2024.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
Mine in Dante Cephus.
Wallace if he can stay healthy and Evans as a true deep threat.

I like both Rojas and Winston, but I don't believe anyone is "sleeping" on either of them as they both have shown their high end talent and ability and been pretty well hyped.

I'm going with Vanover, who I believe will return and who will have a chance to start next to DDS. I've watched Vanover this season and he really doesn't give up on plays, runs sideline to sideline and a few times was the player that made a tackle 8-10 yards down field that prevented a much larger gain. It should be very competitive at DE for the 2,3,4 and 5 spots on the depth chart between whoever comes back among Vanover, Fisher, and Vilbert, as well as Lyons, the two redshirt freshmen and maybe even a true freshman such as Harvey.

Most of the WR corps returning would be good "sleeper" picks as most haven't shown much to wake up the fans to their potential to be top B10 WR's........... :( :( :(

Last edited:
Mine in Dante Cephus.

Nick Singleton - He’s effectively been written off after having a “meh” season, but I think we’ll see a big change next year.

Frankly, the offensive coaching this year was awful - some of the worst I’ve ever seen. You could literally grab a random high school coach and they would have done a superior job. I think this was one of the big reasons for Singleton’s bad year.

Mine in Dante Cephus.
My "don't sleep on" guy is Golden Israel Achumba. He kind of seems lumpy and hard. At 332 lbs, I wouldn't want to block his breathing with my pillow.

Don't sleep on Nick Dawkins: Man has waited patiently for his shot, and improved gradually every single year. Will be our best center since Juice, maybe even a bit better.
Local kid in this area. I hope he does well.

Reactions: brupsu
I think it has to be a Tight End. Dinkins, Rappalaya, Cross, etc.
I actually think that one of your last two tight ends will transfer out now that we’ve got a five star coming in and Warren coming back . My guess is probably Cross.

I actually think that one of your last two tight ends will transfer out now that we’ve got a five star coming in and Warren coming back . My guess is probably Cross.
I agree that the existing tight end room is an area someone may transfer. I didn’t include Joey Schlaffer because I wasn’t sure how to spell his name. Add Luke Reynolds to the mix the number of TE is ripe for subtraction

Don't sleep on Nick Dawkins: Man has waited patiently for his shot, and improved gradually every single year. Will be our best center since Juice, maybe even a bit better.
Seemed like the best blocker in the TE room but Warren came on very strong over the last 4 games.

I’ll say King Mack. I’d love to see him return kicks and punts plus he has a great name!

Nick Singleton - He’s effectively been written off after having a “meh” season, but I think we’ll see a big change next year.

Frankly, the offensive coaching this year was awful - some of the worst I’ve ever seen. You could literally grab a random high school coach and they would have done a superior job. I think this was one of the big reasons for Singleton’s bad year.
Written off by whom?

I like that pic. He showed some flashes in late game reps. Another 15 pounds by next August and he could make waves.
As for Rojas, I hope he doesn't put on another 15 lbs. He was reportedly 230 and doesn't seem to have the frame to carry 245 lbs. It seemed that Carter got a little too big and lost some of his quickness, and Rojas was making plays all over the field this season when he got reps so I'm hoping he keeps that quickness and explosiveness as he's likely headed for reps or potentially starting at Sam. King is likely coming back at Mike with Robinson as his backup (unless Robinson transitions to DE which seems unlikely), and Carter at Will backed up by Wiley. So if DeLuka returns it looks like Rojas and Deluka at Sam........

My "don't sleep on" guy is Golden Israel Achumba. He kind of seems lumpy and hard. At 332 lbs, I wouldn't want to block his breathing with my pillow.
I seem to remember Achumba projected to start at Guard a couple of years ago. And then he got hurt and never regained that momentum. It will be interesting to see how the OL gets sorted out this Spring. Lone should be a starter, but to me the question is at Center. Can Dawkins play at the high level required to hold down Center. If not, then who?

Reactions: Obliviax
I agree that the existing tight end room is an area someone may transfer. I didn’t include Joey Schlaffer because I wasn’t sure how to spell his name. Add Luke Reynolds to the mix the number of TE is ripe for subtraction
It will be interesting to see what happens with Reynolds this Spring. He is a very sure handed and dynamic receiver, and it would not surprise me to see him some at WR this season. He could then bulk up more to play TE for 2025 after Warren is gone.

Reactions: indynittany
Mine is wishful thinking- hoping he breaks out. Drew Allar. He gets more comfortable with his reads and delivering into tight windows. He really was not that good this year, especially when the opposing D was good. There was not as much space and opportunity and he could not make the jump.

Mine is wishful thinking- hoping he breaks out. Drew Allar. He gets more comfortable with his reads and delivering into tight windows. He really was not that good this year, especially when the opposing D was good. There was not as much space and opportunity and he could not make the jump.
Little J.... Or big blunts?

Most of these are players that are expected to be really good. I’m gonna go with Liam Clifford. AK simplification helps him out big time.

Mine in Dante Cephus.
Agree with Cephus. Would add Saunders as he showed “flashes”, and I think his body has finally developed.
—out of Left field “don’t sleep on”…. Ethan Black. Kid can fly

Most of these are players that are expected to be really good. I’m gonna go with Liam Clifford. AK simplification helps him out big time.
Can't get open in THIS offense, ordinarily I will disagree but you are one of a handful of posters on here who I have full respect for, so if you are running with this, then I will go along with it: Clifford to improve greatly next season.

Agree with Cephus. Would add Saunders as he showed “flashes”, and I think his body has finally developed.
—out of Left field “don’t sleep on”…. Ethan Black. Kid can fly
Absolutely. I think he needed that year in the weight room but next year this kid will be the fastest player on the field in nearly every game...runs a sub 4.3 40.

Mine in Dante Cephus.
Yep hope to see improvement across the room in season and in the playoffs

This didn’t age well. Cephas was benched in the Peach Bowl for a reason and now he gone. Good riddance! The fact that he had trouble becoming academically eligible should’ve been a huge red flag. Out of the WRs I’ll go with Saunders who got more involved as the season went on and should be our primary PR unless Mack steps up. From all reports Saunders was really behind physically and needed a lot of work in the weight room. I think Fleming will be huge for our WR room not just talent wise, but the fact that he’s a physical WR who is an excellent blocker downfield and can really set an example for the younger guys. We sorely missed any real leadership in the WR room.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Mine in Dante Cephus.
Julian Fleming

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
My don't sleep on player is Rojas. He had one game this year where he was in 6 plays and caused 2 turnovers. Give him a year of seasoning and starter reps, he's going to blow up like Carter did year 1.
Get your point. But if you can find anyone that would really sleep on Rojas bring him here to testify. Rojas has shown enough that he could end up with the sticks after Carter is gone. Didn't he play like 15 minutes in one of the games and had around 8 tackles? Saying to not sleep on Rojas is about as logical as saying don't sleep on Parsons after the show he put on as a true freshman.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
I figure if people can choose Winston who has already arrived, then I'm taking the best looking true freshman that didn't have significant snaps.

If we're talking deep sleeper candidates, then put me down for true freshman Cooper Cousins. It is rare that a true freshman OL can step in right away, but you can argue that this year might be an opportunity and he was touted as the top OL performer at the AA bowl. Physically, at a very solid 6'6" 323 at the AA bowl, he is ready day 1. They've been talking about his ability to play any of the OL positions to include OC which may be where he is headed. Apparently is very bright and football savvy. If Joe Iorio can walk on and do it, why not highly rated Cooper Cousins?
Worth watching.

Nick Saban played some elite freshmen O-linemen. Would Franklin consider it?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT