ADVERTISEMENT

Who were your favorite top 5 PSU Men's Basketball players overall?

John Amaechi, Pete Lisicky, Calvin Booth, Talor Battle, Matt Gaudio

Amaechi has been a huge disappointment since he graduated but he was a warrior and fun to watch.

Re: Talor Battle made a lot of game winning shots

In no particular order:

Jesse Arnelle (never saw him play)
Titus Ivory
DJ Newbill
Matt Gaudio
Bob Weiss (had the best basketball career of any PSU alum)

Re: Talor Battle made a lot of game winning shots

Cline-Heard was exceptional senior year. Good call.

Re: Sounds like we were up there at the same time, I remember Ron Brown...

I was at UP for Ron Brown's Soph and Jr years. I remember him having a great year as a Soph. Almost beat Syracuse and did beat Pitt, both away games. Could not do the same when at home though.

Re: Sounds like we were up there at the same time, I remember Ron Brown...

Originally posted by PSU73:

I was at UP for Ron Brown's Soph and Jr years. I remember him having a great year as a Soph. Almost beat Syracuse and did beat Pitt, both away games. Could not do the same when at home though.
It was Ron Brown's jumper at the buzzer that beat a Buzz Ridl-coached Pitt team featuring Billy Knight in February 1974 at Rec Hall. Pitt was Top 10 and had a 22-game win streak going until Brown's shot from the top of the key secured a 66-64 win and sent the students storming the court.

Danny Earl, Brickowski, Joe Crispin, Tom Hovasse, and Newbill

Earl is the best player I've seen at PSU. He thoroughly outplayed steve Nash during their senior seasons and would've had a prolonged NBA career if he hadn't had chronic knee problems.
This post was edited on 3/16 7:04 PM by NewYC

Whew! Tough one as there have been so many greats.

Okay I'll play along. Calvin Booth. He had a stint with the Spurs.

laugh.r191677.gif

Ron Brown
Frank Brickowski
Pete Lisicky
DJ Newbill
I would have to add DeRon Hayes thought. He was a huge player with the Parkhill A-10 teams. He rarely missed an open foul line jumper.

Carvin Jefferson, played with him many times on the North Halls courts. ***

Originally posted by Jerademan74:

We have had several pretty good BB players over the years. Don't know if we ever had GREAT players, but what players come to mind as the best of the best at Penn State that you can remember. Back in my days, we had Ron Brown and Randy Meister in 73-74. I remember this team beat #4 Virginia at Rec Hall which may have been the biggest upset we ever had! We also had a "Goon" who's name I can't remember who was all muscle and was the intimidator. Anyone remember his name? How would you rate the top 5 PSU men's BB players you have seen play?
This post was edited on 3/16 2:11 PM by Jerademan74

Surprised how many of these top lists don't include DJ Newbill. Too recent?

Re: The only great player ever at Penn State was Jesse Arnelle and he played

Earl and Amaechi were great players. Earl outplayed Steve Nash his senior year and would've been a good pro had he not had knee problems.

Originally posted by bxle:
From the 70s, Jeff Miller. The guy could fill it up.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Yes Had 30 against NC State and Marquette, as I recall. Just too short for the pros, but he could shoot. Would have been even better in the 3t era. And, also from that era "Dr. C". But we had a guy nicknamed Brick, which fit his shot--yet he played many years in the NBA. Not to mention the "twins" Ice and Snow.

Favorites . . . guys I saw play live.

Not necessarily the BEST guys but who were my favorites . . . .

Calvinator Booth
Joe Crispin
Pete Lisicky
Talor Battle
Jeff Brooks (was so pleased for him that he FINALLY broke through his last season)

Honorable mention Titus Ivory, Glenn Sekunda and Matt Gaudio.

Favorite coach - Pat, with Bruce as H.M.

Re: Carvin Jefferson, played with him many times on the North Halls courts. ***

I grew up with Jeff Miller's kid and actually played with him quite a few years. I always knew Jeff was good cause he could outshoot most everyone then and even now probably but didn't expect to see his name mentioned on the best ever lists. Pretty cool.

Mine would be

Crispin
Battle
Ivory
Booth
Newbill

So many close calls like Lisicky, Gaudio, Hayes, etc.

Edit: I am going to keep wanting to add names. The list is hard. Even a guy like Sekunda needs mention. Jennings is one of the first I have a lot of memories of with DeRon Hayes. Cornley and Stephens. Yeah there have been so many and those final 5 are tough.
This post was edited on 3/17 2:53 AM by PSUriseANDfire

I've only been following the team for about 10 years so my favorites are recent grads:

Battle
Brooks
Cornley
Frazier
Newbill

I'm glad to see someone else mention Jeff Brooks because he really did become a very good player his senior year.

Aka "Dr.C". Remember the upset of Rutgers? Down by (I think) 30 and won.... but that was not a good PSU team.

There are many good BB players to choose from, but this is not like our football team where we had so many GREAT players to choose from. In football, we would have a far different debate, as the same 10 or so names wouldn't appear like on this thread. Come to think of it, I'll start a new FB thread :)

Amaechi went from top 5 to deal last based solely on his horse faced, opinionated, giant self-riteous yap.

Carvin Jefferson, Mike Ice, Jeff Miller, Ron Brown, and Joe Crispin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT