ADVERTISEMENT

With LAX championships looming, it got me thinking about MD's entry into BT

Class of 67

Jan 30, 2007
There's been some criticism here about Maryland's acceptance into the BT from a sports perspective, but with the exception of football and a few "minor " sports, Maryland has raised the conference profile. Maryland excels or is competitive in the following sports: Men's and women's LAX, men's and women's basketball, baseball, men's and women's soccer, and field hockey, to name some that come immediately to mind. I could be missing a few. That's a resume that not many BT members have. It's academic qualifications also compare with or exceed the rest of the conference. Rutgers is a different story.

maryland has been better off since getting rid of that punk edsall. He's a total dick.

Reactions: BBrown
There's been some criticism here about Maryland's acceptance into the BT from a sports perspective, but with the exception of football and a few "minor " sports, Maryland has raised the conference profile. Maryland excels or is competitive in the following sports: Men's and women's LAX, men's and women's basketball, baseball, men's and women's soccer, and field hockey, to name some that come immediately to mind. I could be missing a few. That's a resume that not many BT members have. It's academic qualifications also compare with or exceed the rest of the conference. Rutgers is a different story.

Aside from basketball, how many people really care about any of those sports?

Reactions: BBrown

Yea its like all our championships in fencing. No one outside of PSU really cares about those.
I know our female soccer team is fantastic but honestly I'm not going to go to a game or even watch it on tv.

I and some others here follow some of the PSU minor sports. Nevertheless, your point is well taken and indisputable. To overstate the obvious - only football and men's basketball generate broad national interest, notable revenues too. I remember when the Detroit Free Press released 1995(?) figures for all Big Ten sports. The University of Minnesota men's ice hockey team was the only Big Ten sport in the black outside of football and men's basketball programs. Haven't seen any recent comprehensive figures, but you can be sure there ain't a whole lot of "minor sports," if any, making a buck.

Last edited:
I and some others here follow some of the PSU minor sports. Nevertheless, your point is well taken and indisputable. To overstate the obvious - only football and men's basketball generate broad national interest, notable revenues too. I remember when the Detroit Free Press released 1995(?) figures for all Big Ten sports. The University of Minnesota ice hockey team was the only Big Ten sport in the black outside of football and men's basketball programs. Haven't seen any recent comprehensive figures, but you can be sure there ain't a whole lot of "minor sports," if any, making a buck.

At certain schools, some minor sports turn a profit (e.g. baseball at Mississippi State), but the fact that the vast majority of them don't is testimony to their (lack of) following.

And from the academic side, the Big Ten Athletic Alliance, nee CIC, adds Maryland and Rutgers, but loses Chicago, a wash at best. And in case that gets anyone's dander up, that remark is made TIC since the Alliance ain't such a big deal to begin with..

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT