ADVERTISEMENT

Would the team be permitted to wear their white away unis for a white out?

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
Does any know what rules apply to the selection of colors the team must wear for home and away games? Being in Croke Park last year I thought it was strange that the UCF jerseys were their home "pale gold" tone jerseys, while we were in our away white uniforms. I guess it was due to rules and this was considered a home game for UCF. It wasn't always easy to tell them apart, especially after the Guinness. The blue would have provided a better contrast for the TV audience as well. I believe there are some rules about home and away colors, but I'm not familiar with them, and whether they can be waived with some planning. Alhough I tend to love the tradition of the plain blue jerseys, and wouldn't want any Nike hyped up 3rd uniform, I'd like to see the team wear the away white uniform to the white out game - how cool would that look under the lights? Anyone else share this view?

I hope not...

...I never understood why you wouldn't want the OTHER team in white against an all white backdrop. Seems it should be tougher for the QB to pick out receivers in white.

You just need a preplanned agreement with whoever the opponent would be.

I agree that it would be REALLY cool but MT. Nittany's point makes some sense. I am doubting it would make an impact but I suppose it could.

Re: I hope not...

Or defenders. The QB should pretty much know where his receivers are

Exactly. I would want the defense to stand out if I were a QB ...

As a QB I know where my receiver is going but not the defenders, which could be in zone, man, or a mix.

And I would love it if the team always wore just straight white. ("They came out like ghosts.") It would, in time, become a part of the brand.

I think the home team has there choice in this. LSU always wears white at home, for example.

Didn't NCAA change rule after controversy in USC-UCLA game?

Pete Carroll was charged a time out or some sort of penalty when he had USC wear home jerseys in the UCLA game. UCLA agreed to lose a time out as well in the spirit of fair play. Then I think the NCAA allowed both teams to wear home colors.

Of course, in the Big Ten, Delaney would penalize Penn State a time out and award it to the opponent.
wink.r191677.gif

Re: Didn't NCAA change rule after controversy in USC-UCLA game?

Originally posted by Option Bob:
Pete Carroll was charged a time out or some sort of penalty when he had USC wear home jerseys in the UCLA game. UCLA agreed to lose a time out as well in the spirit of fair play. Then I think the NCAA allowed both teams to wear home colors.

Of course, in the Big Ten, Delaney would penalize Penn State a time out and award it to the opponent.
wink.r191677.gif
They did that at first, but then the rule was changed. Sine their jerseys contrast so much, it is now allowed without a loss of a timeout. I think it would cool for Ohio State to wear home red at beaver stadium... that would look awesome in contrast to our blue. It could even be part of a USA tribute, with all the red, white, and blue.

Our colors are blue and white, but our band is the blue band. For whiteouts, they should come out in all white uniforms, and be the Penn State White Band for the evening.

Re: Didn't NCAA change rule after controversy in USC-UCLA game?

Its slightly tougher for the QB to see the WR when they wear white. The 'white' part doesnt really affect the QB much, the fans are up higher than where his vision is...

Why would you want to wear the road uniforms when Penn State's Navy blue home uniform is easily one of the most beautiful uniforms in all of college football? I get the logic but I think most college football fans understand the white-out concept without going overboard. Dont you think?

Re: I hope not...

Good point but I would think the helmet color would matter more than the jersey since the QB will have the linemen in his way and the helmet might be the only thing visible. Of course, he should know where his receivers are going to be as others have stated.

I think the story behind Princeton or Michigan helmets back in the day was that they designed them that way so the QBs could tell which players were theirs easier when looking down field...maybe that's just an urban legend.

This post was edited on 3/22 1:53 PM by rohrmd9

Originally posted by Mudge1026:
Why would you want to wear the road uniforms when Penn State's Navy blue home uniform is easily one of the most beautiful uniforms in all of college football??
Put it to vote and I think white would be about even.

All white to me is the sharpest uniform in sports along with the Yankee pinstripes and the only uniforms that compare are maybe Michigan or Texas in college football. That uniform is almost flashy without trying to be.

Edit: I hate the Yanks and Michigan btw.

This post was edited on 3/22 2:02 PM by PSUriseANDfire

The PSU road uniform is not on the same level as our home navy blue jerseys. The contrast of the blue stripped white helmut and white pants with the the navy blue jersey looks very classy and is one of the most iconic in college sports. To me the plain white road uniform basically looks like a practice uniform. Sure PSU is well known for it but really fellas? There is no comparison.

This post was edited on 3/22 9:28 PM by Mudge1026

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT