ADVERTISEMENT

Why won't the B1G and TV partners cater to the White Out?

One thing of note is that even though we peons don't necessarily know which network is "picking first" in any given week, it is certainly possible and likely that the Big Ten and PSU AD know. So, it's possible the school/conference could talk to the networks and basically do a "if we make this a Whiteout, would you take that game with your pick?" to get a sense.

Reactions: lazydave841
I don't disagree with anything you are saying. But based on how I understand the way this all works in the modern college football world with these huge media contracts dictating everything Penn State only has control over the game they want to be a White Out but not the time nor the network broadcasting the game. That is the issue.

We could guarantee an evening Ehite Out game or even 3:30 game but it seems then we are stuck with an Illinois, a UCLA, a Minnesota, a Iowa you name the team not named Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Oregon or Washington.

I would rather sacrifice the time to keep the best opponent possible. A White Out just may be the slight edge we need to beat Ohio Stste even if played at Noon. Hopefully it could still be a recruiting showcase for us.
Not for me. Would rather play it at night. Looks so much better. Better pre game for network tv to showcase. Better tailgating. Better in game atmosphere.

All of this is far better for brand, image and recruiting. And we need better recruiting to consistently win big games.

If tv is the driver that means viewers are the driver which means money is the true driver. Seems even the networks would strongly want a night time WO. Seems to me they could agree to rotate a WO game between networks.

Fox chose PSU/Iowa in '21 as it's BNK and the game was played at 4pm est. I don't know what is particularly involved in things, but they tend to give us the OSU/Michigan road game in October in recent years with the home game usually in November (which hits the "no night games clause").

As this point, the 2nd biggest TV spectacle in the conference behind The Game and they sure don't attempt to make it happen vs our biggest opponents yearly in primetime sure seems...strange...suspicious...something. ya know?
Agree. Can't put those favored teams in a tough spot it could mess up The Game later in the season. The league protects OSU-Mich that is the brand.

Not for me. Would rather play it at night. Looks so much better. Better pre game for network tv to showcase. Better tailgating. Better in game atmosphere.

All of this is far better for brand, image and recruiting. And we need better recruiting to consistently win big games.

If tv is the driver that means viewers are the driver which means money is the true driver. Seems even the networks would strongly want a night time WO. Seems to me they could agree to rotate a WO game between networks.
Not sure a night White Out game is going to get us over the hump on key recruits versus a day one but maybe. I do know the economic impact to SC for a night game is much better than a noon game.

Regarding your last paragraph, I agree but am frustrated because I don't think it will happen in most (any?) years for us. Meaning a great opponent at night. The networks won't agree to anything between themselves to help Penn State get the best White Out game at night. Just look at what Fox's Big Noon platform has done to our last 3 White Outs....opponents, Indiana, Minny, Iowa. Not so hot but yeah we got the night game. That is what I'm saying, it seems we have to give on the quality of the opponent or the time. We seemingly cannot get both. This coming year there is a great other game played on 11/2, Michigan vs Oregon, yet still Fox will choose our game vs OSU for Big Noon. This Big Noon and Fox I think all but guarantees we won't host a night White Out game versus a top 15 or better opponent when we are also top 15 or better. The exception to this would be if we are having a mediocre season like 3 losses going into the White Out and our game is then not as coveted. So I guess that is okay but the game has lost its luster and if we are something like 4-3 playing an undefeated Ohio State then I don't want the White Out vs them, (sure L) might as well put it against an average team that we would have a good game with.

Not sure a night White Out game is going to get us over the hump on key recruits versus a day one but maybe. I do know the economic impact to SC for a night game is much better than a noon game.

Regarding your last paragraph, I agree but am frustrated because I don't think it will happen in most (any?) years for us. Meaning a great opponent at night. The networks won't agree to anything between themselves to help Penn State get the best White Out game at night. Just look at what Fox's Big Noon platform has done to our last 3 White Outs....opponents, Indiana, Minny, Iowa. Not so hot but yeah we got the night game. That is what I'm saying, it seems we have to give on the quality of the opponent or the time. We seemingly cannot get both. This coming year there is a great other game played on 11/2, Michigan vs Oregon, yet still Fox will choose our game vs OSU for Big Noon. This Big Noon and Fox I think all but guarantees we won't host a night White Out game versus a top 15 or better opponent when we are also top 15 or better. The exception to this would be if we are having a mediocre season like 3 losses going into the White Out and our game is then not as coveted. So I guess that is okay but the game has lost its luster and if we are something like 4-3 playing an undefeated Ohio State then I don't want the White Out vs them, (sure L) might as well put it against an average team that we would have a good game with.
Good post.

I agree a prime-time whiteout won't get us over the hump but it certainly helps and would be a step back from recent whiteouts that have been in prime-time. Pink Floyd would say all in all, just another brick in the wall.

In your second paragraph, I think the new TV contracts and streaming have further complicated the distribution channels.

• In my day, there was NBC, ABC and CBS
  • Fox added in the late 1980s.
  • ESPN Came along in the late 90's Then ESPN + X (1, 2, 3, college, classic, chicks, non-binary, desportes, etc (OK, I may have exaggerated a bit)
  • B1G network, FOX Sports
  • Paramount, Amazon Prime, Apple, Netflix

The idea of owning that monolithic prime-time game is over.

YearOpponentPenn State result
2004No. 9 PurdueL 13–20
2005No. 6 Ohio StateW 17–10
2006No. 4 MichiganL 10–17
2007Notre DameW 31–10
2008No. 22 IllinoisW 38–24
2009IowaL 10–21
2010MichiganW 41–31
2011No. 3 AlabamaL 11–27
2012No. 9 Ohio StateL 23–35
2013No. 18 MichiganW 43–40 (4OT)
2014No. 13 Ohio StateL 24–31 (2OT)
2015No. 14 MichiganL 16–28
2016No. 2 Ohio StateW 24–21
2017No. 19 MichiganW 42–13
2018No. 4 Ohio StateL 26–27
2019No. 16 MichiganW 28–21
2020No White Out game due to COVID-19 pandemic
2021No. 22 AuburnW 28–20
2022MinnesotaW 45–17
2023No. 24 IowaW 31–0
Overall Penn State record: 11–8

Check this out. Beat Mich in 2013 in four overtime WO with only 45 scholarship players….and who knows how many of them injured.

Then lose to Buckeyes in double overtime with same scholly numbers!

Then lose to Mich. beat Buckeyes, beat Michigan then a one point lose to Buckeyes.

WO definitely helping, had some top recruiting years, Urban Meyer whines about how tough it is, Mich embarrassed into calling a time out before the first play!

So what happened?

Last time either of those were WO opponents…..because of ‘scheduling issues’. Now recruiting has dropped a bit, the WO is losing its shine and impact….and the B2G is happy.

YearOpponentPenn State result
2004No. 9 PurdueL 13–20
2005No. 6 Ohio StateW 17–10
2006No. 4 MichiganL 10–17
2007Notre DameW 31–10
2008No. 22 IllinoisW 38–24
2009IowaL 10–21
2010MichiganW 41–31
2011No. 3 AlabamaL 11–27
2012No. 9 Ohio StateL 23–35
2013No. 18 MichiganW 43–40 (4OT)
2014No. 13 Ohio StateL 24–31 (2OT)
2015No. 14 MichiganL 16–28
2016No. 2 Ohio StateW 24–21
2017No. 19 MichiganW 42–13
2018No. 4 Ohio StateL 26–27
2019No. 16 MichiganW 28–21
2020No White Out game due to COVID-19 pandemic
2021No. 22 AuburnW 28–20
2022MinnesotaW 45–17
2023No. 24 IowaW 31–0
Overall Penn State record: 11–8

Check this out. Beat Mich in 2013 in four overtime WO with only 45 scholarship players….and who knows how many of them injured.

Then lose to Buckeyes in double overtime with same scholly numbers!

Then lose to Mich. beat Buckeyes, beat Michigan then a one point lose to Buckeyes.

WO definitely helping, had some top recruiting years, Urban Meyer whines about how tough it is, Mich embarrassed into calling a time out before the first play!

So what happened?

Last time either of those were WO opponents…..because of ‘scheduling issues’. Now recruiting has dropped a bit, the WO is losing its shine and impact….and the B2G is happy.
I'm still livid about 2014 and how Penn State was cheated by corrupt Big 10 officials protecting their ca$h cow, Ohio $tate's chances at making the college football playoff after they lost to Virginia Tech at home earlier in the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT