ADVERTISEMENT

WR Williams to Baylor .

College bball teams have adjusted to the new landscape. Football is about a year or so behind. PSU needs to recruit WRs in the portal who were highly recruited but decide to transfer.
I agree. Franklin hasn't shown a good track record judging and picking talent from High school WR's. How many are on the roster now that never turned out good?

Baylor definitely has more NIL $ than PSU. Not as much as Texas, A&M, SMU, but they’ve got plenty. It’s just that they’ve spent most of it on their basketball team and not football.

Baylor definitely has more NIL $ than PSU. Not as much as Texas, A&M, SMU, but they’ve got plenty. It’s just that they’ve spent most of it on their basketball team and not football.
Do you have evidence of that? I read an article in December that listed colleges by NIL dollars and PSU was 12th.

Do you have evidence of that? I read an article in December that listed colleges by NIL dollars and PSU was 12th.
I don’t trust any article written by anyone about how much NIL money colleges have. It was obvious for years that teams in the south were paying kids before this even existed so it’s not hard to believe that other people are still supporting teams without dumping money into an NL collective.

Here’s what I know about Baylor, one of my fellow basketball coaches said that both their men’s and women’s teams have been offering their players money for quite some time. He attended the coaching clinic where people associated with the program basically said that they feel they are Able to compete to get any player that they want.

Therefore, I would not surprise me if the football team started to see similar benefits.

True. “Popping” the offense will no doubt help, but make no mistake, this is an unregulated NIL problem. — Those with the financial ability, will be the victors. You’ll have a dozen or so “George Steinbrenner- like” teams that are bought, and will perform. Leaving 120 or so teams filling in the back end.
—Serious control features needed with NIL.
Here are some curious facts to ponder
Largest alumni organization PSU
Most alumni CEOs PSU
Top 20 Universities by Endowments (PSU NOT ON LIST)
Top 20 Universities by millionaire graduates (PSU NOT ON LIST)
OHIO STATE AND OREGON NOT ON THOSE LISTS EITHER.
Yet OHIO STATE and OREGON killing PSU in NIL.

OREGON has one Sugar Daddy. Not OHIO STATE.

🤔

I think unless you are top 5 in NIL Bankrolls you are going to lose more recruiting battles to the cherry pickers of the football world. PSU betting on NCAA action to clean up the mess seems as stupid as the impotent NCAA is period.

Last edited:
Reactions: creamery
I clearly understand the premise. The players need to be paid….I agree with this. I’m not against NIL, I am for it. —Unrestricted/ unregulated NIL is idiocy, however.
But there's no legal way to restrict it now

I don’t trust any article written by anyone about how much NIL money colleges have. It was obvious for years that teams in the south were paying kids before this even existed so it’s not hard to believe that other people are still supporting teams without dumping money into an NL collective.

Here’s what I know about Baylor, one of my fellow basketball coaches said that both their men’s and women’s teams have been offering their players money for quite some time. He attended the coaching clinic where people associated with the program basically said that they feel they are Able to compete to get any player that they want.

Therefore, I would not surprise me if the football team started to see similar benefits.
Penn State has plenty of NIL money. Believing otherwise is just confusing.

Yeah, I think we have more NIL than most P5 programs, but clearly lagging behind the NIL superpowers like Oregon, the Texas schools, Miami, OSU, Bama, etc.

Funny to see Phil Knight reportedly authorize unlimited NIL to get whatever Oregon needs to win a title. that's the kind of approach that threatens to ruin the sport. But time will tell to see how sustainable or successful that is. Texas A&M took that approach for a year, and it went nowhere.

We're on par with Michigan and probably Notre Dame and USC in the NIL game. Not elite, but not exactly lacking. Our problem is that our WR recruiting is objectively sub-par, and our WR on-field productivity is no different. Sure, Baylor might be able to throw some extra money at a Taz Williams, but I'd imagine we win that battle regardless if we actually had a reputable WR program to sell him.

Yeah, I think we have more NIL than most P5 programs, but clearly lagging behind the NIL superpowers like Oregon, the Texas schools, Miami, OSU, Bama, etc.

Funny to see Phil Knight reportedly authorize unlimited NIL to get whatever Oregon needs to win a title. that's the kind of approach that threatens to ruin the sport. But time will tell to see how sustainable or successful that is. Texas A&M took that approach for a year, and it went nowhere.

We're on par with Michigan and probably Notre Dame and USC in the NIL game. Not elite, but not exactly lacking. Our problem is that our WR recruiting is objectively sub-par, and our WR on-field productivity is no different. Sure, Baylor might be able to throw some extra money at a Taz Williams, but I'd imagine we win that battle regardless if we actually had a reputable WR program to sell him.
The reputation is the bigger issue here for sure
And kids make decisions for countless reasons. Is his girl going there? Are his friends? Did he mesh better with the coaches? There's infinite possibilities beyond NIL. My issue is people immediately blame NIL for everything now. It's just absurd. If NIL is an issue then Franklin needs to work some magic and get money. It's his responsibility but I don't believe NIL is an issue at all.

Most alumni CEOs PSU

🤔

I think unless you are top 5 in NIL Bankrolls you are going to lose more recruiting battles to the cherry pickers of the football world. PSU betting on NCAA action to clean up the mess seems as stupid as the impotent NCAA is period.
Appreciate that info.

If Baylor goes all in for a player many believed was 5th-7th on our board, what do we do? He's never been on campus. It's obviously a strict "they sent the biggest offer" type of deal.

Sure, Baylor might be able to throw some extra money at a Taz Williams, but I'd imagine we win that battle regardless if we actually had a reputable WR program to sell him.

We got Dotson and Washington recently having good careers and getting drafted. Multiple 10 win seasons.

Baylor has what recently?

They offered the biggest bag last minute, apparently. Unless you start throwing stupid $$, everyone will lose those more often than not.

Caveat, I'm not saying our WR is perfect. It was terrible last year and maybe that sticks out. Still, nobody picked Baylor because they developed WRs. The kid had 55 offers (reportedly the most offered prospect in this class). He never even stepped foot there. Then 2 nights before decision day, he's picking a school he's never mentioned.

If Baylor goes all in for a player many believed was 5th-7th on our board, what do we do? He's never been on campus. It's obviously a strict "they sent the biggest offer" type of deal.

Nothing is obvious. You're guessing. If anything he'd have used that to tell Penn State they needed to get more money for him or he'd go to Baylor

Also why is it difficult to believe that maybe he liked Baylor better than Penn State? Kids make decisions for countless reasons not just money.

This is only "obvious" to those that want to bitch nonstop about NIL. If we don't have enough NIL money that's a failure on Franklin but I don't buy that for a second.

We got Dotson and Washington recently having good careers and getting drafted. Multiple 10 win seasons.

Baylor has what recently?

They offered the biggest bag last minute, apparently. Unless you start throwing stupid $$, everyone will lose those more often than not.

Caveat, I'm not saying our WR is perfect. It was terrible last year and maybe that sticks out. Still, nobody picked Baylor because they developed WRs. The kid had 55 offers (reportedly the most offered prospect in this class). He never even stepped foot there. Then 2 nights before decision day, he's picking a school he's never mentioned.
His friend convinced him to go and they had NIL but I don't think significantly more than us. Difference is he wanted to play with his friend and Baylor a lot closer to him.

The issue is we cannot recruit WRs at the level we get other position guys. Cyrus is a 90 and in-state. Not good enough for a OSU to swoop him up or Bama or Georgia or Oregon. Tailor made for us and we drop the ball (like that pun?!). We had to have the same amount of NIL as South Carolina. The Maryland kid liked our NIL and he is the same rating as Cyrus.

Reactions: lazydave841
Nothing is obvious. You're guessing. If anything he'd have used that to tell Penn State they needed to get more money for him or he'd go to Baylor

Also why is it difficult to believe that maybe he liked Baylor better than Penn State? Kids make decisions for countless reasons not just money.

This is only "obvious" to those that want to bitch nonstop about NIL. If we don't have enough NIL money that's a failure on Franklin but I don't buy that for a second.

kids don't pick schools they've never visited or mentioned, ever, unless *something* happened. You can call it guessing, but what is there to like about a school you didn't visit? Best phone call ever? His friend?

I'm not bitching about NIL. I'm acknowledging that it's obvious that the most likely scenario here is NIL played a part. You would have to be intentionally obtuse and deflecting to not acknowledge a kid committing to a school he's never visited is weird.

Again, if this was a school he visited, your what ifs would hold weight. When the first mention of Baylor in his recruitment was a Baylor-related twitter page claiming "a NIL offer was made and now Baylor is in the mix", why argue?

Reactions: bison13
kids don't pick schools they've never visited or mentioned, ever, unless *something* happened. You can call it guessing, but what is there to like about a school you didn't visit? Best phone call ever? His friend?

I'm not bitching about NIL. I'm acknowledging that it's obvious that the most likely scenario here is NIL played a part. You would have to be intentionally obtuse and deflecting to not acknowledge a kid committing to a school he's never visited is weird.

Again, if this was a school he visited, your what ifs would hold weight. When the first mention of Baylor in his recruitment was a Baylor-related twitter page claiming "a NIL offer was made and now Baylor is in the mix", why argue?
His friend influenced him. He is 17. It's not like he committed to a school in Europe or some far away place. Who knows how often he unofficially was at Baylor. He lives in Texas.

I'm sure they had a good NIL deal for him but I am just saying that I don't think it was NIL and NIL alone that swayed him to Baylor. Did they just offer some enormous NIL package which was a total anomaly versus other recruits just for him? Is Baylor an NIL juggernaut? Never heard that before. We have recruited numerous 4 star guys and those higher rated than him so we must have known his price or the going rate for a 90 rated receiver. He may have raised it and we didn't increase and Baylor way overpaid. The fact that his friend committed and then he was very interested tells me it was not all about NIL.

I don't understand acting like this is unheard of....and of course he got NIL money just like we offered him NIL. Everyone does. Pretending that's the reason he decided...pretending nothing else was a factor is my issue

Penn State has plenty of NIL money. If Franklin doesn't want to allocate enough to him that's the decision but not the only factor.

Reactions: lazydave841
The Golden Rule is taking over.
The programs with the NIL gold are going to rule for the foreseeable future.
I have surprised myself with how fast I have lost interest. I expect I will still watch some games on network TV, but I doubt I ever walk into Beaver Stadium again, nor am I likely to pay a streaming service to watch a game.
To each their own, but it boggles my mind a bit that anyone would hand over their cash to a kid to convince him to play football for Dear Ol’ State, especially when there are so many causes worthy of those donations.
I started watching college football with my Dad back in the 1960s. It was fun while it lasted.

Most alumni CEOs PSU

🤔

My question: How does NIL work? Do the coaches actually make the NIL offer to the recruit after they (the coaches) have previously communicated with the NIL collective(s) or do they first refer the recruit directly to the NIL collective(s) to discuss an offer?

My question: How does NIL work? Do the coaches actually make the NIL offer to the recruit after they (the coaches) have previously communicated with the NIL collective(s) or do they first refer the recruit directly to the NIL collective(s) to discuss an offer?

Anything and everything you can think of is probably being done. And some stuff you nor I haven't thought of as well.

It's all done to "comply", but no less.

Reactions: bison13
Definitely the second piece of your comment, as well as knowing that word gets around through social media via the current players. The current guys who host the recruits will let them in on who they need to talk to.

They don't need to have more NIL $ in total to outbid PSU on a single player. PSU has 50%+ blue chip ratio. Let's assume the those are the main players getting the significant NIL $. That means PSU has 50+ players wanting NIL money, lots of mouths to feed from their bucket. What is Baylor's blue chip ratio, maybe 20%? Fewer mouths to feed, so some individual players could make more than one particular guy at PSU even from a smaller total bucket.

When comparing NIL for one player the amount we have to offer could be more about how total roster NIL is distributed rather than our total NIL budget.

BTW, can we stop calling this NIL? It's payment for signing an LOI, not NIL. Glorified bribery, essentially. This isn't what NIL is supposed to be about and is technically against NCAA rules, but of course in addition to incomprehensible NCAA rules surrounding NIL, portal, etc., these days there's no enforcement of the rules that do actually exist.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT