ADVERTISEMENT

WRs: Coaches Review

lazydave841

Jan 9, 2021

Podcast mentions it today.

Franklin has said very little about the group.

Are they playing mind games? Getting these guys to play harder for longer? Or is nobody legit looking good enough to be WR3?

Myself, I think Evans ends up the true #3. He and Allar seem to have the freshman class rapport. He's been the next guy up since last year.

--

Also, rumblings Cam Wallace pushing for RB3. Hmm.

@Dylan Callaghan-Croley thx bud.

Are they playing mind games? Getting these guys to play harder for longer? Or is nobody legit looking good enough to be WR3?

Myself, I think Evans ends up the true #3. He and Allar seem to have the freshman class rapport. He's been the next guy up since last year.

--

Maybe they are actually loaded and have 6 or more that can play, making it difficult to choose.

Look for a package with Pribula at WR and occasionally QB with Allar at WR.

When there really is great competition for the 3rd spot between Cephus, McClain, Saunders, Evans, and Clifford it seems like a good problem to have.

From the limited view of each of those WR's I like McClain's chances to be a big contributor this season, but each of them seem to have the talent to contribute.

Evans may really be lighting it up in practice which we have no way of seeing, but his production in 2022 wasn't much other than some snaps in garbage time and burning his redshirt. The long TD he scored on was in garbage time where he was pretty much uncovered and Allar just lobbed a lazy pass out into the open area for him.

And with the whole group being pretty young and the likelihood that they all improved they all could be at a level to contribute significantly if they get the opportunity.

Franklin has consistently praised Wallace (Tre) and that must be deserved based on his practice performance over the last year. But his 2022 production (19 passes for 273 yards and one TD) isn't a resume that would seem to put him way in front of the rest of the group. Of any position on the team the performances of the WR's in the first few games could jumble up the depth chart big time. I just hope that the playing time for the WR's is spread around enough to give them all a chance to show which WR's are really those that excel in actual games versus those that practice well. It's one thing to do it in practice and another to make contested catches in the 4th quarter at oh-high-ya.....

Reactions: lazydave841

--

It's a little concerning. The group did well at times last year but really struggled versus Michigan. Absolutely could not get open.

When there really is great competition for the 3rd spot between Cephus, McClain, Saunders, Evans, and Clifford it seems like a good problem to have.

From the limited view of each of those WR's I like McClain's chances to be a big contributor this season, but each of them seem to have the talent to contribute.

Evans may really be lighting it up in practice which we have no way of seeing, but his production in 2022 wasn't much other than some snaps in garbage time and burning his redshirt. The long TD he scored on was in garbage time where he was pretty much uncovered and Allar just lobbed a lazy pass out into the open area for him.

And with the whole group being pretty young and the likelihood that they all improved they all could be at a level to contribute significantly if they get the opportunity.

Franklin has consistently praised Wallace (Tre) and that must be deserved based on his practice performance over the last year. But his 2022 production (19 passes for 273 yards and one TD) isn't a resume that would seem to put him way in front of the rest of the group. Of any position on the team the performances of the WR's in the first few games could jumble up the depth chart big time. I just hope that the playing time for the WR's is spread around enough to give them all a chance to show which WR's are really those that excel in actual games versus those that practice well. It's one thing to do it in practice and another to make contested catches in the 4th quarter at oh-high-ya.....
Can they get open vs good press coverage, and can Allar throw them open? To me, these are the important questions.

I guess we will find out.
This is not very glowing praise and concerns me. Hopefully this is coach speak to get the group as a whole motivated. Stubblefield didn’t get fired for not being a good coach, but rather not bringing in big time talent. Reality is we don’t have any big time talent. OSU has multiple top 100 WRs on their roster and we have one Kaden Saunders that OSU didn’t offer even though he was an in-state kid. As good as we look going into the season WR and DT both look they could be our weak points.

This is not very glowing praise and concerns me. Hopefully this is coach speak to get the group as a whole motivated. Stubblefield didn’t get fired for not being a good coach, but rather not bringing in big time talent. Reality is we don’t have any big time talent. OSU has multiple top 100 WRs on their roster and we have one Kaden Saunders that OSU didn’t offer even though he was an in-state kid. As good as we look going into the season WR and DT both look they could be our weak points.
If you are comparing to Ohio St's WR then even Alabama, Georgia and Michigan look weak. Ohio St gets like 3 to 4 top 100 overall WRs per year now. Then the worst of them who will still likely make the NFL eventually transfers when they realize that new 5 star took their spot in the depth chart.

If you are comparing to Ohio St's WR then even Alabama, Georgia and Michigan look weak. Ohio St gets like 3 to 4 top 100 overall WRs per year now. Then the worst of them who will still likely make the NFL eventually transfers when they realize that new 5 star took their spot in the depth chart.
Exactly. Comparing WRs to OSU's roster is a losing proposition, they have the best WR room and probably the best WR coach and recruiter in the country. Hopefully Hartline packs his bags for a coordinator position soon as he has OSU humming.

The BTN crew seemed very complimentary of our WRs without saying a whole lot about them, other than veiled comments that what they saw in practice seemed to answer the WR questions that everyone has been asking. I optimistically interpreted that to mean that the coaches have found something, but are being careful to not let the cat out of the bag before the season.

Exactly. Comparing WRs to OSU's roster is a losing proposition, they have the best WR room and probably the best WR coach and recruiter in the country. Hopefully Hartline packs his bags for a coordinator position soon as he has OSU humming.

The BTN crew seemed very complimentary of our WRs without saying a whole lot about them, other than veiled comments that what they saw in practice seemed to answer the WR questions that everyone has been asking. I optimistically interpreted that to mean that the coaches have found something, but are being careful to not let the cat out of the bag before the season.
Hartline is a 3rd DUI incident away from either killing someone, himself, or being institutionalized. I'm not sure how Ohio St was able to just look the other way after his 2nd incident where he sent someone to the hospital but at some point not even their corruption athletic department can save him from himself. And to think he is molding young men?

Hartline already has a coordinator position. He is OSU's Offensive Coordinator & Receivers coach. He was promoted during the off season.

Yep, WR "big time talent" is not limited to the top 100 rated players coming out of HS. Sure oh-high-ya has been killing it at WR recruiting.

But none of ARob, Dotson, Hamilton, Godwin .... were top 100 rated players and they helped PSU to some pretty great wins against top teams. PSU can get to the playoff without a top 100 rated WR, but whether or not PSU has adequate WR talent on the current roster to reach the playoff is not now known. ARob was I believe a 2 star player and he seemed to do pretty well against UM. I'm not discounting that higher rated players generally are on average more likely to be better college players, but it's not an end all and no teams in college football have top 100 talent at all positions, other than possibly UGA, Bama and oh-high-ya. Maybe we should wait to see the current group of WR's in an actual game before trashing them. Other than KLS the PSU WR room is very young and a good old football coach used to say that the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores.....

No reason in this case to read a lot into Franklin's silence. He doesn't want to comment on anybody other than KLS and Wallace for whatever reason. There is known talent -- Cephus and McClain have both proven they can play, Evans has speed and Clifford has good hands and high football IQ.

No PSU does not have a wideout who'd make the two-deep at Michigan or Ohio State. But at least there's a good mix of size, speed and skill set. It's going to be an ensemble cast and it's up to the coaches to figure out how to use them.

Also, don't forget, Penn State might have the best pass-catching TEs in the conference, and probably the best pass-catching pair of tailbacks in the conference. TE and TB could be a LOT of PSU's passing game this year while the wideouts are getting themselves sorted out.

No reason in this case to read a lot into Franklin's silence. He doesn't want to comment on anybody other than KLS and Wallace for whatever reason. There is known talent -- Cephus and McClain have both proven they can play, Evans has speed and Clifford has good hands and high football IQ.

No PSU does not have a wideout who'd make the two-deep at Michigan or Ohio State. But at least there's a good mix of size, speed and skill set. It's going to be an ensemble cast and it's up to the coaches to figure out how to use them.

Also, don't forget, Penn State might have the best pass-catching TEs in the conference, and probably the best pass-catching pair of tailbacks in the conference. TE and TB could be a LOT of PSU's passing game this year while the wideouts are getting themselves sorted out.
Can't say I agree with your statement about UM or oh-high-ya's 2 deep. KLS may not be at the top of OSU's depth chart, but he stacks up very well among the UM WR corps. And so would a couple of PSU's other WR's including the 2 transfers, Cephus and McClain. I haven't seen enough of Wallace to have the faith in him that Franklin does, but then again Franklin has seen every practice since Wallace has been at PSU so it kind of makes sense to believe him.

It seems a few here may be pleasantly surprised if/when a couple of the PSU WR's make some plays this season.......

Last edited:
I'd just like a WR who can get deep. That threat opens up a lot of stuff underneath.

No reason in this case to read a lot into Franklin's silence. He doesn't want to comment on anybody other than KLS and Wallace for whatever reason

No PSU does not have a wideout who'd make the two-deep at Michigan or Ohio State.

Breeding competition would be my guess. Particularly in the portal era. The guys towards the bottom could sit out and enter the portal.

You don't think we have a WR who is at least top 6 at Michigan? Saying that about OSU I could understand but Michigan?

Sorry if already mentioned, the WRs will get the job done if the line gives them and the qb the time.

We’ve got great TEs and RBs. A lot will depend on the QBs getting the ball out on time and on target.

The line makes the skill guys look good and/or bad.

Thanks, forgot about that. I'm still hoping he leaves OSU soon.
Of course since he is a first year OC, Day will probably have some of the game plan input and say on some of the in-game play calling. Point is Hartline was probably given that title to keep him on board longer.

Reactions: Online Persona
I think our WR are just fine. We’ve got Great RBs, line and TEs. The safeties will have to respect the run and out WRs will often be single covered. In addition, defenses will blitz a lot to see if our true second year QB can handle the pressure. That means single coverage. The talent is there

I think our WR are just fine. We’ve got Great RBs, line and TEs. The safeties will have to respect the run and out WRs will often be single covered. In addition, defenses will blitz a lot to see if our true second year QB can handle the pressure. That means single coverage. The talent is there
Looking forward to watchng how Allar, the WRs, TEs, and RBs can react/adjust to blitzing defenses. I expect to see a fair amount from teams until PSU can consistently take advantage of the opennings that blitzing creates.

Looking forward to watchng how Allar, the WRs, TEs, and RBs can react/adjust to blitzing defenses. I expect to see a fair amount from teams until PSU can consistently take advantage of the opennings that blitzing creates.
I am told WVUs secondary is putrid. We’ll see but if I am there coach i am bringing it on every pass situation. Of the line,RBs and Allar can buy enough time, WRs will be wide open.

ILL will be a bit of a different story.

Reactions: RickinDayton
I'd just like a WR who can get deep. That threat opens up a lot of stuff underneath.
KLS, Wallace and Evans all have really good speed, and Yurich can get them isolated on safeties. What PSU may have, that they haven't had in a long time, is the ability to throw it deep into a small window. A real deep threat forces safeties to play back a couple yards and that makes a big difference.

I'm actually more interested in the possession game. The way to survive tough games in the B1G is to have 4-5 yard pass plays with 99% probability of success. Who's going to make the catches Tinsley was making in clutch situations last year? That's why players like Cephus and Liam Clifford are so important if they can catch the ball with a corner draped on them.

What PSU probably does NOT have is the incredible athlete like say Harrison Jr. who can take 4-5-yard hitch, break a tackle and turn it into 30 yards. Or outleap a really good corner for an underthrown ball. KLS, Wallace and Evans don't have that kind of physicality and Cephus and Clifford don't have the speed to scare people. But still there should be plenty for Yurcich to work with.

Reactions: 81b&w
KLS, Wallace and Evans all have really good speed, and Yurich can get them isolated on safeties. What PSU may have, that they haven't had in a long time, is the ability to throw it deep into a small window. A real deep threat forces safeties to play back a couple yards and that makes a big difference.
There's no doubt that a deep threat gets defenders to play back a little bit. That would also help the running game and short passing game. There's more to it that pure speed. It the ability to get off blocks and catch balls in traffic. We'll see if any of the WRs can do that.

I'm actually more interested in the possession game. The way to survive tough games in the B1G is to have 4-5 yard pass plays with 99% probability of success. Who's going to make the catches Tinsley was making in clutch situations last year? That's why players like Cephus and Liam Clifford are so important if they can catch the ball with a corner draped on them.

What PSU probably does NOT have is the incredible athlete like say Harrison Jr. who can take 4-5-yard hitch, break a tackle and turn it into 30 yards. Or outleap a really good corner for an underthrown ball. KLS, Wallace and Evans don't have that kind of physicality and Cephus and Clifford don't have the speed to scare people. But still there should be plenty for Yurcich to work with.
Good points. I believe Clifford can be that possession receiver. and to that point, I understand that the three RBs are working really hard on the pass game: both blitz protection, route running and hands. That might bear fruit in the short passing game as well

I'd say Saunders, McClain, and Meiga are in that really good speed category along with Ethan Black and Mason Stahl among the walkons. I kind of recall Tyler Johnson being a decent speed guy as well when recruited. I'd be curious to see the WR 40 times stacked up but I bet there are quite a few in that 4.5 and under range.

I'd say Saunders, McClain, and Meiga are in that really good speed category along with Ethan Black and Mason Stahl among the walkons. I kind of recall Tyler Johnson being a decent speed guy as well when recruited. I'd be curious to see the WR 40 times stacked up but I bet there are quite a few in that 4.5 and under range.
McClain will be interesting to watch. Saunders hasn't moved up the depth chart so I'm not expecting a lot. I wonder if he could return kicks.

Reactions: GregInPitt
McClain will be interesting to watch. Saunders hasn't moved up the depth chart so I'm not expecting a lot. I wonder if he could return kicks.
We don't know the depth chart beyond KLS and Wallace as likely starters.

I believe PSU has athletes that can take a 4-5 yard hitch and get away for a 25-30 yard play. All of the young WR's are coming back bigger and stronger. Particularly Evans and Saunders who also have the quickness to make big plays in space. KLS has shown that he has the speed to get deep and that speed will also help him create YAC on the shorter routes. And McClain in his limited highlights showed the ability and physicality to make tough catches with DB's draped all over him. Wallace is reportedly a top athlete as well, along with the production Cephus brings. One "expert" ranked Cephus among the top 5 WR's in the B10. And the top 2 TE's have also shown the ability to make contested catches.

A strong, consistent OL is the key to sustaining long time consuming drives, and most agree that the 2023 OL has a chance to be the best at PSU in 15 years. What will help make blitzing teams on edge will be if Allar can recognize blitzes in the early games and get the ball to Singleton and Allen for big plays into the secondary.

I have a good many friends in WV from working there until 2004 that are big WVU fans. And I feel sorry for them already.........

Last edited:
Reactions: Online Persona

The TEs should play a large role in the possession game.

I expect us to throw a lot more to our rbs this year to help with this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT