ADVERTISEMENT

WRs: Coaches Review

McClain will be interesting to watch. Saunders hasn't moved up the depth chart so I'm not expecting a lot. I wonder if he could return kicks.
I believe Sauders has been one of the lead punt returners in the Fall practices so far. Would be great to have a dynamic punt returner.

Beyond KLS and Wallace there doesn't seem to be a WR depth chart. so it seems that Saunders has as good a chance as about anyone to end up with a place in the WR rotation, since he reportedly worked hard in the S&C program.

I don't see any way to handicap the WR depth chart between Cephus, Evans, McClain, Clifford and Saunders at this point because Franklin has been pretty tight lipped about it. And even at that, if one of the WR's that doesn't seem in the top 5 comes in against Illinois and makes a couple of great catches that WR might be starting the next game. Just seems the way things will shake out at WR this year - young players but together with the transfers a good group that all could be ready to compete to play and make plays in games.

Reactions: 81b&w
McClain will be interesting to watch. Saunders hasn't moved up the depth chart so I'm not expecting a lot. I wonder if he could return kicks.
How do you know where Saunders is on the depth chart. I haven’t seen an official one released yet. Just speculation by sportswriters.

How do you know where Saunders is on the depth chart. I haven’t seen an official one released yet. Just speculation by sportswriters.
I don't but people have observed who is running with the ones, twos, and threes.

When there really is great competition for the 3rd spot between Cephus, McClain, Saunders, Evans, and Clifford it seems like a good problem to have.

From the limited view of each of those WR's I like McClain's chances to be a big contributor this season, but each of them seem to have the talent to contribute.

Evans may really be lighting it up in practice which we have no way of seeing, but his production in 2022 wasn't much other than some snaps in garbage time and burning his redshirt. The long TD he scored on was in garbage time where he was pretty much uncovered and Allar just lobbed a lazy pass out into the open area for him.

And with the whole group being pretty young and the likelihood that they all improved they all could be at a level to contribute significantly if they get the opportunity.

Franklin has consistently praised Wallace (Tre) and that must be deserved based on his practice performance over the last year. But his 2022 production (19 passes for 273 yards and one TD) isn't a resume that would seem to put him way in front of the rest of the group. Of any position on the team the performances of the WR's in the first few games could jumble up the depth chart big time. I just hope that the playing time for the WR's is spread around enough to give them all a chance to show which WR's are really those that excel in actual games versus those that practice well. It's one thing to do it in practice and another to make contested catches in the 4th quarter at oh-high-ya.....
McClain is exactly what this team needs. 6’-2” with speed. We’ve been missing a big downfield target for years.

We have guys that can get deep

McClain is exactly what this team needs. 6’-2” with speed. We’ve been missing a big downfield target for years.

If you go back to 2016, the player who really created matchup nightmares wasn't Godwin but Blacknall.

Blacknall ran low 4.4 at 6-3. I don't think Penn State has had that since. Ohio State has it every year.

McClain strikes me more like a Juwan Johnson type at 6-4, 4.6 ish but that could still be very helpful in this offense. Size is so important at this position in the B1G -- Penn State got away from size a little too much imho.

If you go back to 2016, the player who really created matchup nightmares wasn't Godwin but Blacknall.

Blacknall ran low 4.4 at 6-3. I don't think Penn State has had that since. Ohio State has it every year.

McClain strikes me more like a Juwan Johnson type at 6-4, 4.6 ish but that could still be very helpful in this offense. Size is so important at this position in the B1G -- Penn State got away from size a little too much imho.

You beat me to it. A Blacknall type. Doesn't catch multiple balls every game, but when he gets behind the defense it's big play and touchdown city.

Meiga is probably the more similarly sized/speed comparison, but it's a type we haven't had since.

Great one, woefully underrated player

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT