ADVERTISEMENT

“Hope” is the thing with feathers -

I will go on record.

1). The Portal combined with NIL (as this is an important distinction) on balance is GREAT for the student athelete. More flexibility, more reward, and the chance to reverse a poor decision made by a 17-18 year old.

2). As for the solid highschool recruit who commits in good faith to the school he wants only to have a hammer drop on top of him from the Portal. If he is good enough, another (lesser?) program should be excited to get him, and there might even be NIL in the mix to sweeten the pot. Not perfect but at least there are options.

3). For the lesser D1 programs and below, honestly I don't see how they compete for any positive outcome or headlines for the program. Good friggin luck holding on to the unicorn AA that you develop here and there. I doubt kids they may receive as second stringer transfer from a top program will be a like for like swap for an AA every time. Most of those kids will portal to another to program.

Poor results results in even poorer attendance and less accolades start to place a bullseye on sports that lose money, and wrestling loses money almost everywhere. There are far too many heads to fund in every school's new equity and diversity departments to flush money down the rat hole of collegiate athletics. Or at least that is how modern administrators think.

I look at it the other way. I look at it as creating more opportunities for kids who may have been overlooked coming out of high school to move to a program that they actively want to wrestle/compete for.

And it's pretty clear PSU will still be taking chances on HS kids when you consider the fact that they still recruit kids out of HS.
Exactly. Transfers are a 2-way street. And not just for the overlooked kids. Marsteller and Herrera left bigger programs for smaller.

I'd point out that the "portal" is simply an administrative tool that makes the transfer process easier on all parties concerned, and that your beef is really with the transfer rules, but as the saying goes, "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

As the parent of a son who has used the transfer portal twice now, I've been on record here and elsewhere that it is a fabulous thing, and only the first step in the right direction. Transferring for student-athletes should be identical to transferring for any student -- which is to say, whenever you want, wherever you want, however many times you want. Anything less is just various levels of indentured servitude. If you're the parent of a student-athlete the current rules would keep you up at night until you remember how absolutely suckful we adults treat our kids across the board. You can't drive until your 16. Can't vote until you're 18. Can't drink until your 21. Can only transfer X times and still play the sport that's the love of your life. I mean, seriously, who the hell do we think we are?

Anyway, the prediction that "a fair number of smaller schools pull the plug on wrestling due to the inability to field a competitive team year after year" is just the same hogwash we've used for centuries. We can't allow women to vote, the republic will go down the drain. We can't let kids vote, the country will be ruined. We can't legalize marijuana, mass hysteria and crime will result. I mean, c'mon. Do you really hate young people that much? Let kids go where they want to go, whenever they want to go.
"The portal" isn't just a convenient scapegoat for the doom-and-gloomers.

It's also excuse-making for programs that do not adapt.

PS, with the Ferraris around, maybe 20 is too young to drive.

Reactions: dicemen99
I'd point out that the "portal" is simply an administrative tool that makes the transfer process easier on all parties concerned, and that your beef is really with the transfer rules, but as the saying goes, "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

As the parent of a son who has used the transfer portal twice now, I've been on record here and elsewhere that it is a fabulous thing, and only the first step in the right direction. Transferring for student-athletes should be identical to transferring for any student -- which is to say, whenever you want, wherever you want, however many times you want. Anything less is just various levels of indentured servitude. If you're the parent of a student-athlete the current rules would keep you up at night until you remember how absolutely suckful we adults treat our kids across the board. You can't drive until your 16. Can't vote until you're 18. Can't drink until your 21. Can only transfer X times and still play the sport that's the love of your life. I mean, seriously, who the hell do we think we are?

Anyway, the prediction that "a fair number of smaller schools pull the plug on wrestling due to the inability to field a competitive team year after year" is just the same hogwash we've used for centuries. We can't allow women to vote, the republic will go down the drain. We can't let kids vote, the country will be ruined. We can't legalize marijuana, mass hysteria and crime will result. I mean, c'mon. Do you really hate young people that much? Let kids go where they want to go, whenever they want to go.
I agree for kids not on scholarship, but these colleges invested in these kids on scholarship. By your thinking the colleges should have incentive bench marks then for scholarship athletes. I’m investing money in you with a scholarship you need to reach these benchmarks or pay it back.

Reactions: horraybeer
I agree for kids not on scholarship, but these colleges invested in these kids on scholarship. By your thinking the colleges should have incentive bench marks then for scholarship athletes. I’m investing money in you with a scholarship you need to reach these benchmarks or pay it back.
Yeah, good luck with that.

When did schools start paying scholarships in advance of the current enrolled term?

As an educator, I would have no problem with “unlimited “ transfers as long as there is a “progress to the degree” component as well.

You will drag this crap back here, but you don't bother to post anything here during the World Championships? Why is that?

I woke up this morning to my son telling me how excited he is to go to his first wrestling practice soon. Seeing the smile on his face is all I need. Him and his little brother are going to have a lot of FUN wrestling together growing up. They will get my full support! I'm very much looking forward to it. That's what truly matters in Life.
LOL I feel for all you hawk fans,not really!!I want to see you beat beat worse every yr!

Reactions: Ski and danoftw
The portal has changed the landscape and the kids hurt the most will be the high schoolers who will likely end up at “lower level” schools for a year or two then be poached by the top schools later if the succeed.

Why would a major program take chances on HS kids when they can grab kids who have already proven themselves? PSU is benefiting too from the portal and might have 3 in the lineup this year. Same with scUM and Iowa. That’s 30% of a lineup and it’s only getting started!
Deion is openly making this argument. He may use and these are his words 3-4 scholarships on true freshmen and they have to be complete dawgs to get them. He's better letting a kid go to a lesser program, see how they fit and then poach. I don't see how that's bad for the kid. They should get earlier playing time and let's say they don't cut it, they stay and don't move up the ladder. If people think this was a 1 year cycle for Deion, he's just getting started. He's going to cut kids he brought in via the portal. I'm not sure exactly how he cuts, but it's going to happen. That is corporate america, kids and guess what these kids have been brought up on 7v7 all star teams, prep schools, etc. They know this world just as well as him. Don't get involved in a program like Colorado if you don't want the negatives. When I look at our 5 portal guys, 4 are legit starters. Cael isn't bringing in kids via portal to see how they do. He just hits there.

Who cares about the poor programs. These hard working athletes deserve all the flexibility in the world.

I love seeing all these guys and gals that continue fighting for their dream against all odds. Go kick ass!

"Every time a good wrestler goes to psu I die a little. This off-season was the final straw. I’m officially dead. I do not care.

I hope all the psu fans get together and wank each other every time a smug thought comes to their mind about the 100 top five recruits they get. I hope they are happy…..I don’t care though because I’m dead. So…."

Hawkfan1986
LOL one less hawk fan,no loss!!

I understand where you are coming from, but all of us fans can appreciate great wrestling to some extent independent of how & where it is concentrated.

We certainly can not blame highschool recruits from wanting to wrestle for Cael, or anywhere else assuming an otherwise level playing field.

Having said that, I am not thrilled one bit with the twin devils of Portal combined with NIL. I despise the idea of lesser programs getting "poached", and taken to it's logical extension we may see a fair number of smaller schools pull the plug on wrestling due to the inability to field a competitive team year after year.

I think there is a possible solution: Cap the number of transfers who can start for a team at one or two
starters max. Penn State is passed the ragged edge here, and what Michigan did this year is an abomination. I much prefer Penn state building a roster through the highschool pipeline, and despite the obvious advantages, seeing a future portal/NIL pipeline filling every gap in the lineup is not attractive to me.
good wrestlers, PSU gets great wrestlers everyone else fights for the good ones!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT