ADVERTISEMENT

125 this season

matter7172

Nov 14, 2012
I was watching my DVR of the Pitt/tOSU match last night and saw the current rankings at 125. Man, it may be the most wide open weight class I've ever seen in NCAA D1 wrestling. There's nobody that seems to be any kind of lock for any of the spots on the podium.

I was watching my DVR of the Pitt/tOSU match last night and saw the current rankings at 125. Man, it may be the most wide open weight class I've ever seen in NCAA D1 wrestling. There's nobody that seems to be any kind of lock for any of the spots on the podium.
The #1 at 125 in the Flo rankings is Nico Provo, who is a nondescript 0-2 NQ last year who I hadn't really even ever heard of before. He has MD losses to Dean Peterson and Baylor Shunk on his record at Wrestlestat. If he's #1 in the country, anyone can win it.

• Wow
Reactions: USPMAN and mcpat
The #1 at 125 in the Flo rankings is Nico Provo, who is a nondescript 0-2 NQ last year who I hadn't really even ever heard of before. He has MD losses to Dean Peterson and Baylor Shunk on his record at Wrestlestat. If he's #1 in the country, anyone can win it.
I'm 77 and 265 and 6 ft tall. I still have eligibility. Not sure I could drop 140 lbs in time, but I guarantee I'd be the hungriest, grumpiest wrestler on the mat. ;)

I'm 77 and 265 and 6 ft tall. I still have eligibility. Not sure I could drop 140 lbs in time, but I guarantee I'd be the hungriest, grumpiest wrestler on the mat. ;)
77! If your avatar is any indication, you are a very young 77.

And I also have a year of eligibility left, and only need to drop 15lbs to get to 125. But keep in mind, the last time I stepped on a mat was back in April and I tore my rotator cuff about 12 seconds into the match :oops:

Depends on if Figs gets healthy .... but I think he and Camacho would be the top guys.
I agree with this. I think these two guys should rise to the top by the end of the season, but it's still pretty wide open nonetheless without Spencer, Glory, Vito, Suriano etc. who have dominated the weight over the last several years.

To me it’s a bit of a farce to have Provo at #1 based off 1 tournament. Intermat’s ranking of him at #4 is more reasonable, though I’d probably have him at 7 or 8.

That said, I concur that 125 is pretty wide open.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
To me it’s a bit of a farce to have Provo at #1 based off 1 tournament. Intermat’s ranking of him at #4 is more reasonable, though I’d probably have him at 7 or 8.

That said, I concur that 125 is pretty wide open.
Well, Flo.

I'd agree with Earl having him at 4, as he beat both Ramos and Ungar decisively, and Ungar beat DeAugustino and Kaylor.

Can't say anyone below him has earned a higher ranking this year so far. (Neither has 0-0 Figs but there he is at 3.)

It's still early. He'll get Figs and Kaylor in duals and Pac 12s. Plus Ramos, Surtin, Gallagher, Ventresca in duals. We'll see if it were just one weekend.

Braeden is the guy going forward since he is getting reps against a winless Hofstra guy (plus Cael's statements). Guessing as the preseumed starter, he's going to just wrestle the regular schedule since there there is plenty of good opponents there rather then sending him to the Scuffle for extra matches (especially since Braeden has 7 matches already, the one against Gary not counting)

He will have the following for our dual schedule

Brandon Kaylor
Michael Spangler
Michael DeAugustino
Tristan Lujan (beaten already)
Tommy Capul
Brendan McCrone
Drake Ayala
Dean Peterson
Caleb Smith
Caleb Edwards

Plenty of AA level tests on that schedule before B1Gs (Kaylor, DeAugustino, Ayala, Peterson, Smith)

pretty wild, seems like just yesterday I was sitting in the same row with Robbie and his parents at Nattys. Suriano would come out and warm up and constantly look up and give Robbie a stink eye kind of look (this was after he committed to PSU)...

Even Richie Figs hasn’t exactly done anything to make you think he’s unbeatable.

Braeden is the guy going forward since he is getting reps against a winless Hofstra guy (plus Cael's statements). Guessing as the preseumed starter, he's going to just wrestle the regular schedule since there there is plenty of good opponents there rather then sending him to the Scuffle for extra matches (especially since Braeden has 7 matches already, the one against Gary not counting)
Do you know for sure that matches against teammates are not counted? This is the only language I saw regarding this topic in the 2023/24 Qualification Allocation Criteria: "Must have 15-Division I Matches at the designated weight class on the NCAA Division I Starters page to have a calculated RPI. Forfeits and medical forfeits are excluded from the 15-match count. Injury defaults do count towards the 15-match minimum."

It's not out of the realm of possibility yet.
Beat me to it. He's wrestled 1 match this year so far -- on 11/10.

If his certification allows him to go 125 (and he's recovered from injury), he could be at that weight against Wyoming on Tuesday.

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy
Does Flynn going mean he is taking the spot from Ventresca? Was Flynn going to redshirt?

Flynn going definitely means he is the guy this year. Makes sense, Ventresca isn't just off, he looks flat out bad. I would be shocked if he isn't dealing with a serious injury or ailment because he's not just losing, he has been getting beat up by non NQ level guys. For example he just went 0-2, both losses by major at Cliff Keen to a 6-8 App State guy and a 6-4 Cal Poly guy.

Reactions: hlstone
Flynn going definitely means he is the guy this year. Makes sense, Ventresca isn't just off, he looks flat out bad. I would be shocked if he isn't dealing with a serious injury or ailment because he's not just losing, he has been getting beat up by non NQ level guys. For example he just went 0-2, both losses by major at Cliff Keen to a 6-8 App State guy and a 6-4 Cal Poly guy.
From my VT source yesterday: "...Cooper Flynn gave up an Olympic redshirt to rejoin the team because our Eddie Ventresca have been having muscular and nerve issues all fall."

From my VT source yesterday: "...Cooper Flynn gave up an Olympic redshirt to rejoin the team because our Eddie Ventresca have been having muscular and nerve issues all fall."
hopefully Ventresca can get a medical shirt. He does not look okay so far this season

Eddie would 100% get a medical redshirt, He wrestled 5 dates with the last being CKLV. But beyond that, I just hope he's okay because that sounds awful. You can tell something was really wrong with him.

Reactions: wrestlingfan22
Camacho looked terrible again. Spratley is good enough to say that’s not a horrendous loss, but he really looked terrible in it, and Spratley isn’t someone who you immediately think potential champ or anything. He’s just another potential AA if things work out for him. This weight is just crazy this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT