ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Preseason articles....

He is good at that.

You get the impression that Franklin is like a kid in a candy store when he surveys all the talent he’s brought in over the past few years. Is there a program in the country who has further upgraded its roster in the past 3 years?

It seems like yesterday he was walking out onto a field with 1 scholarship tackle and now look what he has to work with. No wonder he’s excited.

There is a thread here from last night about btn replays of the 2014 rutgres and 2017 pitt games. I rewatched both games. The difference in talent between those two Penn State teams in just three years is staggering.

Slade is up to 201, he's going to be a factor. I think he wins that job.

8549188.jpeg
Yes, I noticed that he seemed to be extremely buff.

Reactions: TheGLOV
http://www.altoonamirror.com/sports/psu/2018/08/psu-2018-season-predictions/

The Mirror asked 16 media members at Saturday’s Penn State media day for their predictions, and they were split exactly between 9-3 and 10-2. The Lions went 10-2 during the regular season in 2017, and they finished 11-2.

They were all asked to give a comment to back up their picks, which you will see below. Many said that the Sept. 29 game with Ohio State is a huge game. Some said fans should be wary of the Nov. 3 game at Michigan, which will be followed by the home game against the Badgers.

Cory Giger, Altoona Mirror: 10-2. Comment: “I have major concerns about the defense, particularly the linebackers, and the Lions will give up a lot of points. But look for Trace McSorley and the offense to bail them out by scoring a bunch.”

Todd Irwin, Altoona Mirror: 10-2. Comment: “The elephant in the room is the departure of Saquon Barkley, who made up for an average line with spectacular runs. His kick returns will also be missed. Trace McSorley should have an outstanding year, though.”

Neil Rudel, Altoona Mirror: 10-2. Comment: “This is McSorley’s team now, and all he’s done is win big. There are holes to fill, but it looks like the recruiting has done that.”

Frank Bodani, York Daily Record: 10-2. Comment: “I think they’ll be better on their lines. It’s a tough division, and three or four games could decide it all.”

Mark Brennan, FightOnState.com: 10-2. Comment: “The things that I think are really working in Penn State’s favor are the fact that in this unbalanced schedule, they get five Big Ten games at home. That’s always big. They obviously haven’t lost at home in a couple of years, but they also play the best teams from both divisions. I’m talking about Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan on the road, Iowa and Wisconsin. I think it’s going to be a good year, but I think they’re going to get clipped a couple times.”

Jed Donahue, PASportsNetwork: 9-3. Comment: “I’ll go 9-3 with close losses simply because I think their schedule is that good. I think going to Michigan is really brutal. They have to go back to Wisconsin. I think Pitt is really slippery, and I think they can go 11-1.”

Bob Flounders, pennlive.com: 9-3. Comment: “The losses of Barkley and DaeSean Hamilton and especially Mike Gesicki are big. That schedule really jumps out at me. I think it’s their toughest schedule since (James Franklin) has been here. I’m not sure their toughest game will be Ohio State. To play at Michigan is going to be super tough, and I really like Wisconsin. I think they have the kind of style that can travel anywhere. The things that Penn State has going for them is they’re so much faster on defense, and I think the defense could be better than it was last year. I do think that it’s great that they’re finally going to cash the best insurance policy in college football — they’re going to play Tommy Stevens in multi-rolls.”

Gordie Jones, Freelance writer and reporter: 9-3. Comment: “I think they’ll go 9-3 because of all the holes they have to fill. They lost a lot of production on offense, and they lost the middle of their defense.”

Joe Juliano, Philadelphia Inquirer and Daily News: 9-3. Comment: “I think the schedule is really tough. I think they’ll go 2-1 against the teams in their division — Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State. I think they have some question marks. I think the teams they’ll lose to are a little too experienced, but you never know.”

Josh Moyer, Centre Daily Times: 9-3. Comment: “I just feel like there are a lot of questions with Penn State, and some of the team leaders from before aren’t here. The Big Ten is better. Michigan State is improved. Penn State plays Wisconsin, and those are some tough games.”

Greg Pickel, pennlive.com: 9-3. Comment: “I think this group is talented enough to perform better, but some inexperience at a few key spots will cost them a game here or there, and the road trip to Michigan should pose a stiff challenge. A good building year setting up Franklin’s best Penn State team for a big run in 2019.”

Pat Principie, WGAL-TV: 10-2. Comment: “I’m going between 9-3 and 10-2 because even though they have a lot of holes to fill, I think they have enough talent now to fill some of those holes. Their schedule is tough this year, but they do play big games at home.”

Rich Scarcella, Reading Eagle: 9-3. Comment: “I think the offense is going to have to carry the load. I think there are going to be a lot of shootouts. I think the defense will be good, and I think it’s really talented. That might change with the addition of Manny Bowen. If Manny Bowen sees a significant amount of action, I might change to 10-2. There’s so much youth and inexperience on defense, which would concern me.”

Audrey Snyder, The Athletic: 9-3. Comment: “I’m on the fence between a nine-win team and a 10-win team. I’m going to go with nine for the sole fact of the defense right now. That’s where the questions are, of course, and it’s a really, really tough schedule.”

Peter Terpstra, WTAJ-TV: 10-2. Comment: “I think they roll through the first four. Ohio State is going to be a massive game, and I think they’ll beat Ohio State. I think by that time of the season the defense is going to have things figured out. Your biggest chance for a letdown is Michigan State on homecoming. I think they’ll lose to Wisconsin, as well.

Mark Wogenrich, Allentown Morning Call: 10-2. Comment: “I like the home schedule for the hard games, but they have four top 15 teams in the first seven weeks. There’s two losses just kind of built in. They could go 11-1 on the outside.”

The Mirror asked 16 media members at Saturday’s Penn State media day for their predictions, and they were split exactly between 9-3 and 10-2. The Lions went 10-2 during the regular season in 2017, and they finished 11-2.

They were all asked to give a comment to back up their picks, which you will see below. Many said that the Sept. 29 game with Ohio State is a huge game. Some said fans should be wary of the Nov. 3 game at Michigan, which will be followed by the home game against the Badgers.

Cory Giger, Altoona Mirror: 10-2. Comment: “I have major concerns about the defense, particularly the linebackers, and the Lions will give up a lot of points. But look for Trace McSorley and the offense to bail them out by scoring a bunch.”

Todd Irwin, Altoona Mirror: 10-2. Comment: “The elephant in the room is the departure of Saquon Barkley, who made up for an average line with spectacular runs. His kick returns will also be missed. Trace McSorley should have an outstanding year, though.”

Neil Rudel, Altoona Mirror: 10-2. Comment: “This is McSorley’s team now, and all he’s done is win big. There are holes to fill, but it looks like the recruiting has done that.”

Frank Bodani, York Daily Record: 10-2. Comment: “I think they’ll be better on their lines. It’s a tough division, and three or four games could decide it all.”

Mark Brennan, FightOnState.com: 10-2. Comment: “The things that I think are really working in Penn State’s favor are the fact that in this unbalanced schedule, they get five Big Ten games at home. That’s always big. They obviously haven’t lost at home in a couple of years, but they also play the best teams from both divisions. I’m talking about Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan on the road, Iowa and Wisconsin. I think it’s going to be a good year, but I think they’re going to get clipped a couple times.”

Jed Donahue, PASportsNetwork: 9-3. Comment: “I’ll go 9-3 with close losses simply because I think their schedule is that good. I think going to Michigan is really brutal. They have to go back to Wisconsin. I think Pitt is really slippery, and I think they can go 11-1.”

Bob Flounders, pennlive.com: 9-3. Comment: “The losses of Barkley and DaeSean Hamilton and especially Mike Gesicki are big. That schedule really jumps out at me. I think it’s their toughest schedule since (James Franklin) has been here. I’m not sure their toughest game will be Ohio State. To play at Michigan is going to be super tough, and I really like Wisconsin. I think they have the kind of style that can travel anywhere. The things that Penn State has going for them is they’re so much faster on defense, and I think the defense could be better than it was last year. I do think that it’s great that they’re finally going to cash the best insurance policy in college football — they’re going to play Tommy Stevens in multi-rolls.”

Gordie Jones, Freelance writer and reporter: 9-3. Comment: “I think they’ll go 9-3 because of all the holes they have to fill. They lost a lot of production on offense, and they lost the middle of their defense.”

Joe Juliano, Philadelphia Inquirer and Daily News: 9-3. Comment: “I think the schedule is really tough. I think they’ll go 2-1 against the teams in their division — Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State. I think they have some question marks. I think the teams they’ll lose to are a little too experienced, but you never know.”

Josh Moyer, Centre Daily Times: 9-3. Comment: “I just feel like there are a lot of questions with Penn State, and some of the team leaders from before aren’t here. The Big Ten is better. Michigan State is improved. Penn State plays Wisconsin, and those are some tough games.”

Greg Pickel, pennlive.com: 9-3. Comment: “I think this group is talented enough to perform better, but some inexperience at a few key spots will cost them a game here or there, and the road trip to Michigan should pose a stiff challenge. A good building year setting up Franklin’s best Penn State team for a big run in 2019.”

Pat Principie, WGAL-TV: 10-2. Comment: “I’m going between 9-3 and 10-2 because even though they have a lot of holes to fill, I think they have enough talent now to fill some of those holes. Their schedule is tough this year, but they do play big games at home.”

Rich Scarcella, Reading Eagle: 9-3. Comment: “I think the offense is going to have to carry the load. I think there are going to be a lot of shootouts. I think the defense will be good, and I think it’s really talented. That might change with the addition of Manny Bowen. If Manny Bowen sees a significant amount of action, I might change to 10-2. There’s so much youth and inexperience on defense, which would concern me.”

Audrey Snyder, The Athletic: 9-3. Comment: “I’m on the fence between a nine-win team and a 10-win team. I’m going to go with nine for the sole fact of the defense right now. That’s where the questions are, of course, and it’s a really, really tough schedule.”

Peter Terpstra, WTAJ-TV: 10-2. Comment: “I think they roll through the first four. Ohio State is going to be a massive game, and I think they’ll beat Ohio State. I think by that time of the season the defense is going to have things figured out. Your biggest chance for a letdown is Michigan State on homecoming. I think they’ll lose to Wisconsin, as well.

Mark Wogenrich, Allentown Morning Call: 10-2. Comment: “I like the home schedule for the hard games, but they have four top 15 teams in the first seven weeks. There’s two losses just kind of built in. They could go 11-1 on the outside.”
A number of them hedging their bets making 2 preditions. "they could win 11"

Reactions: Judge Smails

I only care about Tom McAndrew's prediction!

Tom.....?

Flounders needs to stop cutting his own hair. Him and Jones have both turned Pickel into more of a critic than when he was first hired.
Flounders is a homely, unfortunate slob with minimal journalistic skills. How do these people who can’t compose a decent sentence get paid to write?

https://saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-football/sports-illustrated-releases-preseason-top-25/

SMiller_diosbh.jpg

Sports Illustrated releases preseason Top 25

College football will make its triumphant return in a little over three weeks, meaning preseason polls and rankings are beginning to take shape. On Tuesday, Sports Illustrated released its top 25.

As you might expect, the same five B1G teams that have received all the preseason hype were the same teams to find a spot in Sports Illustrated’s preseason poll. All five teams were ranked in the top 15 spots.

Wisconsin led the way, sitting in the No. 3 spot. The Badgers also made the cover of SI Magazine.

Penn State (No. 7) and Ohio State (No. 9) rounded out the top 10 for B1G teams. Michigan State and Michigan were the other two B1G programs to earn a spot in the SI poll.

Here is the complete preseason ranking from SI:

1. Clemson
  2. Alabama
  3. Wisconsin
  4. Washington
  5. Oklahoma
  6. Georgia
  7. Penn State
  8. Auburn
  9. Ohio State
  10. West Virginia
  11. Michigan State
  12. Stanford
  13. Miami
  14. TCU
  15. Michigan
  16. Notre Dame
  17. UCF
  18. Florida State
  19. Arizona
  20. Houston
  21. Mississippi State
  22. Texas
  23. LSU
  24. NC State
  25. FAU

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/coll...-offensive-statistical-leaders-in-the-big-ten

Today, we take a stab at which Big Ten athletes will lead the conference in the three major offensive statistical categories: passing, rushing and receiving yards.

We start with the gunslingers, which on this list, features a Buckeye.

PASSING: DWAYNE HASKINS, OHIO STATE
A Buckeye quarterback has not led the conference in passing yards since 1995 when Bobby Hoying threw for 3,269, but this could very well be the year Ohio State re-claims the top spot in passing yards.

Of course, Ohio State is a run-first team with a two-headed monster at running back, but when you look around the conference, the teams that were near the top last year lost plenty of offensive talent.

Penn State quarterback Trace McSorley led the league in passing yards last season, but also had Saquon Barkley setting up the play-action pass and also catching passes out of the backfield. Barkley, along with DaeSean Hamilton, are gone to the NFL, and McSorley will be forced to do more with less in 2018.

All of this brings us to Haskins, who is a pass-first signal caller with perhaps the biggest arm in the Big Ten. Flanked by a pair of elite running backs and a veteran wide receiver unit, Haskins has a chance to beat defensive backs downfield on play-action passes with his big arm, much like Cardale Jones did in 2014. If Haskins stays healthy, there is a very good chance he can lead the Big Ten in passing, as Ohio State's offense figures to look different than in years past.

BucksHave7 28 JUL 2018, 4:11 PM
The prediction is correct. Haskins is way better though at throwing the ball w much better receivers.

BornAndBredABuck 28 JUL 2018, 7:43 PM
McSorley's stats were greatly helped by 1) defenses gearing up to stop Saquon Barkley at all costs, 2) easy tosses to the aforementioned Barkley, and 3) having Mike Gesicki and DaeSean Hamilton going up to win an extremely high percentage of passes that were basically flung up for grabs by your hero.
It's not being a Buckeye homer to express doubt that he'll be able to come anywhere near his numbers from last season without those three around to help inflate them.

BucksHave7 23 HOURS AGO

To think that McShorty is going to have the same production without arguably the greatest blocking and pass catching RB in the last 10 years in the B10 is funny.
What about no Moorhead? Another huge loss (when was last time a B10 OC was hired directly into an SEC HC role).
Basically for about 10 reasons, PSU is worse on offense this year than last year. While the rest of the B10East all got better and for once PSU plays Wisky this year.

I know you will save. Eerily similar to the morons from Michigan before last year's game.

Reactions: Judge Smails
https://saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-football/sports-illustrated-releases-preseason-top-25/

SMiller_diosbh.jpg

Sports Illustrated releases preseason Top 25

College football will make its triumphant return in a little over three weeks, meaning preseason polls and rankings are beginning to take shape. On Tuesday, Sports Illustrated released its top 25.

As you might expect, the same five B1G teams that have received all the preseason hype were the same teams to find a spot in Sports Illustrated’s preseason poll. All five teams were ranked in the top 15 spots.

Wisconsin led the way, sitting in the No. 3 spot. The Badgers also made the cover of SI Magazine.

Penn State (No. 7) and Ohio State (No. 9) rounded out the top 10 for B1G teams. Michigan State and Michigan were the other two B1G programs to earn a spot in the SI poll.

Here is the complete preseason ranking from SI:

1. Clemson
  2. Alabama
  3. Wisconsin
  4. Washington
  5. Oklahoma
  6. Georgia
  7. Penn State
  8. Auburn
  9. Ohio State
  10. West Virginia
  11. Michigan State
  12. Stanford
  13. Miami
  14. TCU
  15. Michigan
  16. Notre Dame
  17. UCF
  18. Florida State
  19. Arizona
  20. Houston
  21. Mississippi State
  22. Texas
  23. LSU
  24. NC State
  25. FAU

3. WISCONSIN BADGERS - Last year: 13–1 (9–0 Big Ten); Beat Miami in Orange Bowl

SI Top 100 players: Five: RB Jonathan Taylor (No. 6), OL David Edwards (No. 42), OL Michael Dieter (No. 52), OL Beau Benzschawel (No. 74), LB TJ Edwards (No. 95)

X-Factor: On April 19, Wisconsin tweeted a video from spring practice of receiver Quintez Cephus leaping in the back of the end zone and plucking an Alex Hornibrook spiral with his left hand. The reaction from the thousands of viewers: Wooooooaaaaaaah! Everyone knows Jonathan Taylor can run (1,977 yards as a freshman), but the Badgers’ offense will be formidable if the receivers can stretch the field. Most important is Cephus (16.7 yards a catch in 2017), who is back after a right-leg injury ended his season last November. With the departure of last year’s leader in catches and receiving yards, TE Troy Fumagalli, it’s time for the wideouts like Cephus to rise to the occasion. — Andy Staples

7. PENN STATE NITTANY LIONS - Last year: 11–2 (7–2 Big Ten); Beat Washington in Fiesta Bowl

SI Top 100 players: One: QB Trace McSorley (No. 15)

X-Factor: The Penn State offense will have a new look to it this season, and not just because Saquon Barkley is gone. Ricky Rahne takes over as offensive coordinator and promises to give more play-calling responsibility to senior QB Trace McSorley. But Rahne’s favorite toy this season could be backup QB Tommy Stevens, a dual threat who surprisingly decided to sit behind McSorley for one more year rather than transfer and start elsewhere. Rahne could use Stevens as a Wildcat QB in the red zone or even line him up as a receiver. With McSorley a Heisman candidate this season and Stevens locked in for 2019, the Nittany Lions’ attack is in good hands. — Andy Staples

9. OHIO STATE BUCKEYES - Last year: 12–2 (8–1 Big Ten); Beat USC in Cotton Bowl

SI Top 100 players: Four: DE Nick Bosa (No. 5), RB JK Dobbins (No. 26), DE Dre'Mont Jones (No. 40), DE Chase Young (No. 44)

X-Factor: After four years of (mostly) J.T. Barrett at quarterback, Ohio State is set for a change. Dwayne Haskins, a 6'3" redshirt sophomore, has a big arm and has shown that he’s mobile as well. In eight games last season, he passed for 565 yards, completing 70.2% of his passes, throwing four TDs and just one interception. Haskins, who won the job after junior Joe Burrow transferred to LSU in the spring, will take over an offense with plenty of other weapons on the ground, so it’s hard to imagine the Buckeyes will rely on their QB to run the ball. If Haskins is allowed to be a pocket passer, the offense will be even scarier than it was with Barrett. — Joan Niesen

11. MICHIGAN STATE SPARTANS - Last year: 10–3 (7–2 Big Ten); Beat Washington State in Holiday Bowl

SI Top 100 players: One: RB L.J. Scott (No. 87)

X-Factor: During Mark Dantonio’s tenure, Michigan State has sent QBs Brian Hoyer, Kirk Cousins, Connor Cook and Drew Stanton to the NFL. The next Spartans signal-caller poised for the pros is Brian Lewerke, who’s as talented as any of his predecessors. He took over the starting job and led the team to a seven-win improvement from 2016. Lewerke, who passed for 2,793 yards and 20 TDs, flashed a big arm and had surprising success on the ground: He rushed for 559 yards, giving Dantonio a dual threat at the position that he’s never had. Lewerke needs to become more efficient in the air, but if he puts it all together, the Spartans could be the team to beat in the Big Ten. — Ross Dellenger

15. MICHIGAN WOLVERINES - Last year: 8–5 (5–4 Big Ten); Lost to South Carolina in Outback Bowl

SI Top 100 players: Six: DT Rashan Gary (No. 9), LB Devin Bush (No. 25), DE Chase Winovich (No. 56), LB Khaleke Hudson (No. 62), CB Lavert Hill (No. 78), QB Shea Patterson (No. 80)

X-Factor: Officially, the Wolverines have no offensive coordinator, but they do have three coaches with a combined 25 years of experience as offensive coordinators at the college and NFL levels. After Tim Drevno left for USC, coach Jim Harbaugh brought in Ed Warinner (from Ohio State and Minnesota) to coach the line and Jim McElwain (from Florida) to lead the receivers. Pep Hamilton is the pass-game coordinator, in charge of QBs. The starter will be Ole Miss transfer Shea Patterson. Last year’s NFL-style offense, populated with inexperienced players, ranked 91st in scoring. The offense will have a different look, but will it translate to better results? — Joan Niesen

Thompkins will be the guy, but interesting they have Dotson practicing PR too.

Dotson looks like a FUTURE punt returner, where he excelled in high school, so practicing him there is no different than practicing him at WR. Players that will likely redshirt all practice at the positions that they are projected to play....... Dotson may also be the foreign team PRer during the season.

Last edited:
Dotson looks like a FUTURE punt returner, so practicing him there is no different than practicing him at WR. Players that will likely redshirt all practice at the positions that they are projected to play....... Dotson may also be the foreign team PRer during the season.

Yes, of course. The news is that Penn State sees him as a future punt returner.

Nice look at the depth chart during Fall practice. Makes me realize that with Allen and Thomas gone after this season, I believe there is a 99% chance CJF will take 2 RB's in the 2019 class.......... Just can not see him going into 2019 with at most 4 RB's on the roster (assuming Sanders comes back for his 4th year).

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2018/08/a_closer_look_at_penn_states_p_1.html

BY GREG PICKEL | gpickel@pennlive.com

penn-state-practice-3ad00157dd863396.jpg

Penn State head coach James Franklin cracks a smile during practice on Aug. 4, 2018. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com - Penn State football coach James Franklin directs players during practice on Aug. 4, 2018. Joe Hermitt, PennLive

The NCAA increased this offseason the number of players who can participate in summer camp from 105 to 110.

It’s scholarship counter, however, remains unchanged.

Each and every college football program must be at or under the mandated 85-man scholarship limit at all times, and while the numbers once looked a touch tight for Penn State, PennLive’s unofficial scholarship table has the Lions right on the money, and perhaps one under the number, with summer camp underway.

Head coach James Franklin does not reveal the program’s scholarship numbers at any point in time, but through National Letter of Intent signings, transfer tracking, and surprise grant-in-aids given to walk-ons (such as long snapper Kyle Vasey this past offseason), it can be tracked.

Here’s a position-by-position look at how many players at each position are under scholarship, according to our math.

Quarterback

rahne-defends-offensive-line-play-in-spite-of-criticism-ef5aec6b23bfec79.jpg

Penn State quarterbacks Trace McSorley, Sean Clifford and Will Levis loosen up during practice Saturday. Joe Hermitt

The count:
Four.

The players:
Trace McSorley, Tommy Stevens, Sean Clifford, and Will Levis.

The outlook:
James Franklin has always wanted five scholarship quarterbacks on his roster, and he had it until news broke of Jake Zembiec's retirement due to ongoing injuries on Tuesday night.

McSorley is the unquestioned started and a Heisman Trophy candidate, while Stevens is the backup and do-it-all offensive weapon.

Clifford figures to be the third-string option this year, while Levis is just getting rolling as a true freshman.

Running back

sandersjpg-a685775b50e7ed58.jpg

Penn State freshman running back Miles Sanders listens as coach James Franklin talks during the first practice of the summer held on the Lasch Fields on Aug. 4, 2016.
Joe Hermitt, PennLive

The count:
Five.

The players:
Mark Allen, Johnathan Thomas, Miles Sanders, Journey Brown, Ricky Slade

The outlook:
Sanders is ready to step out of the background and into the spotlight as the heir apparent to All-American and new New York Giant Saquon Barkley. The junior will wear No. 24 behind Trace McSorley in the backfield this fall.

Allen and Thomas are the veteran leaders in the room, but both figure to be role contributors at best. Brown looks poised for work as a returner after bringing his blazing speed into the program and redshirting a year ago, while Slade is a five-star recruit who could play as a true freshman.

Wide receiver

penn-state-football-starts-2018-spring-practice-00ada23e3c6ba88d.jpg

Juwan Johnson warms up during Penn State football's first day of spring practice inside Holuba Hall, in State College, Pa., Mar. 19, 2018.Mark Pynes | mpynes@pennlive.com

The count:
Nine.

The players:
DeAndre Thompkins, Juwan Johnson, Brandon Polk, Cam Sullivan-Brown, K.J. Hamler, Mac Hippenhammer, Jahan Dotson, Daniel George, and Justin Shorter.

The outlook:
First-year receivers coach David Corley sure has his work cut out for him, as the talent in the room is considerable.

Thompkins moves into the slot this year with hopes of replacing the very productive DaeSean Hamilton, who is now a Denver Bronco, while Juwan Johnson is penned into an outside spot.

After that, Justin Shorter, the five-star freshman, will attempt to win the other outside job, but he'll face stiff competition from Hippenhammer, among others.

Tight end

penn-state-football-hosts-summer-prospect-camp-88d1a944354a3349.jpg

Penn State tight end Danny Dalton during a summer prospect camp on June 8, 2017. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

The count:
Five.

The players:
Jonathan Holland, Nick Bowers, Danny Dalton, Zach Kuntz, Pat Freiermuth.

The outlook:
This is one of Penn State's biggest question marks in camp, as it has bodies at the position but no sure thing to replace second-round pick Mike Gesicki.

Dalton gets the early nod as the only one of the group who was healthy in camp and is a veteran, while Bowers and Holland have occasionally flashed but have spent more time injured than not thus far.

Kuntz and Freiermuth are the newcomers, and the formers January arrival may put him in position to play, but don't count out the latter, either.

Offensive line

trading-places-mcgovern-menet-could-end-up-switching-positions-on-the-offensive-line-this-season-f6466296bbd86ef8.jpg

Penn State offensive linemen Chasz Wright, Michal Menet, Connor McGovern, Steven Gonzalez and Ryan Bates approach the line during practice in Holuba Hall in April. Joe Hermitt, PennLive

The count:
Fourteen.

The players:
Chasz Wright, Ryan Bates, Steven Gonzalez, Sterling Jenkins, Alex Gellerstedt, Michal Menet, Connor McGovern, Will Fries, C.J. Thorpe, Mike Miranda, Des Holmes, Juice Scruggs, Rasheed Walker, Bryce Effner.

The outlook:
Penn State has at least four of its starters in Bates, Gonzalez, Menet, and McGovern, but it doesn't know whether McGovern or Menet will play center. The other will play right guard, while Wright and Fries will fight it out for the right tackle job.

The number, 15, indicates the depth the program has built along the line in the Franklin era, as it can now almost fill out a three-deep of scholarship players. When he arrived, even a two-deep was a tremendous challenge.

Defensive line

penn-state-football-lift-for-life-2018-56eb2e609b26d865.jpg

Penn State defensive ends Yetur Gross-Matos and Shareef Miller compete in the tire flip during the 16th annual Lift for Life held in Holuba Hall on June 30, 2018. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

The count:
Eighteen.

The players:
End: Torrence Brown, Ryan Buchholz, Shareef Miller, Shaka Toney, Shane Simmons, Daniel Joseph, Damion Barber, Yetur Gross-Matos, Jayson Oweh, and Nick Tarburton.

Tackle: Robert Windsor, Kevin Givens, Ellison Jordan, Antonio Shelton, Fred Hansard, P.J. Mustipher, Judge Culpepper, and Aeneas Hawkins.

The outlook:
Penn State should roll out a starting four of Buchholz and Miller at the ends and Windsor and Givens up the middle, but if we know anything about Sean Spencer, it's that he rolls a deep rotation that puts many players on the field over the course of 60 minutes.

The key reserves at end figure to be Toney, Simmons, and Gross-Matos, while the tackle backups start with Shelton and Hansard, and could end with any combination of Barber, Mustipher, Culpepper, and Jordan.

Finally, it's not clear when or if Brown will be ready to play this fall after he suffered a gruesome knee injury early last season.

Linebacker

penn-state-vs-nebraska-nov-18-2017-f5c5e38e7a5c1c06.jpg

Penn State linebacker Koa Farmer checks the field before the Nebraska game on Nov. 18, 2017. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com HAR

The count:
Eleven.

The players:
Koa Farmer, Manny Bowen, Jake Cooper, Jarvis Miller, Cam Brown, Dae'Lun Darien, Ellis Brooks, Brelin Faison-Walden, Micah Parsons, Jesse Luketa, and Charlie Katshir.

The outlook:
For the record, we're merely assuming that Bowen was placed back on scholarship when the program brought him back into the fold this summer, but Franklin did not confirm that when discussing the senior's return over the weekend.

Farmer and Brown look likely to be two of the three starters, with Bowen, Luketa, and Parsons among others from the scholarship fighting for the third first-team spot. It seems likely, however, that walk-on Jan Johnson might complete the trio as the middle linebacker on Sept. 1 when the season begins against Appalachian State.

Secondary

psu36jpg-eb9cd7640937ce96.jpg

Penn State cornerbacks John Reid and Tariq Castro-Fields get in extra work after spring practice in Holuba Hall on March 28, 2018.Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com Joe Hermitt

The count:
Fifteen.

The players:
Corner: Amani Oruwariye, John Reid, Zech McPhearson, Donovan Johnson, D.J. Brown, Tariq Castro-Fields, Jordan Miner, Trent Gordon.

Safety: Nick Scott, Garrett Taylor, Lamont Wade, Jonathan Sutherland, Isaiah Humphries.

The outlook:
For the second time in as many years, Penn State has to replace one starting safety, and now it must find two new faces with Marcus Allen in camp with the Pittsburgh Steelers and Troy Apke in Washington.

Scott has one job locked down, but the battle continues for the other spot between Taylor, Monroe, and Wade. Taylor is the leader in the clubhouse.

Specialists

penn-state-practice-april-4-2018-7bb34b2668f9b504.jpg

Penn State kicker Blake Gillikin kicks during spring practice in Holuba Hall on April 4, 2018.Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com HAR

The count:
Three.

The players:
Punter: Blake Gillikin

Kicker: Jake Pinegar

Longsnapper: Kyle Vasey

The outlook:
The aforementioned Vasey, Penn State's stalwart snapper of late, was surprised with his scholarship during the offseason.

Pinegar is a true freshman vying for the kicking job, while Gillikin will return as the starting punter and could end up being the place kicker, too, though that battle continues.

The final count

rahne-defends-offensive-line-play-in-spite-of-criticism-89d256257c1bc0ec.jpg

Members of the media listen to Penn State coach James Franklin speak during Penn State football media day Saturday. Photos by Joe Hermitt, PennLive Joe Hermitt, PennLive

First, for those keeping track at home, the offense/defense/total count is as follows:

Quarterback: 4

Running back: 5

Receiver: 9

Tight end: 5

Offensive line: 14

Offense total: 37

Defensive line: 18

Linebacker: 11

Secondary: 15

Specialist: 3

Defense total: 47

Offense and defense total equals 84 total scholarships.

The number is a rolling one, which means teams can always be under or right at 85 at any point in time, but never over it.

Penn State continues camp this week.

The count is missing John Petrisien from the scholarship roster and this is the second article I’ve read that has Manny Bowen as a senior, he’s a true junior.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT