ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

Mustipher's crystal balls are 88% ND....the rest Tennessee. Kind of surprising. We have a couple visitors that could theoretically pull the trigger this weekend.

Penn State will host more than a handful of visitors this weekend. However, two players to keep an eye on are defensive linemen Jayson Oweh and PJ Mustipher. Right now, the Nittany Lions might be the team to beat for both Oweh and Mustipher.

For Oweh, this is his second visit to Penn State this spring. However, it is his first since the Nittany Lions extended a scholarship offer to the Jersey native in late April. Since then, Ohio State and Notre Dame have offered as well.

As for Mustipher, he is arguably the top defensive tackle on Penn State’s board for this cycle. He last visited Penn State on April 8 and may announce his college decision soon. Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Tennessee are in a good spot for Mustipher as well. However, with a good visit this weekend the Nittany Lions could solidify themselves as the team to beat for the 4-star defensive tackle.
Man, I would love to get him, still would be very surprised if he didn't follow his brother, but glad that it looks more promising than I thought.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Man, I would love to get him, still would be very surprised if he didn't follow his brother, but glad that it looks more promising than I thought.

His quote, "they say you don't pick a school for the coaching staff", is the ND talking point for "Yes, our coach is an a-hole and might not be here long, but come anyway"....so that wasn't promising. Penn State has a ton of realistic targets along the DL. Hard to say at this point which ones fall our way.

Reactions: bmw199 and TheGLOV
Mustipher's crystal balls are 88% ND....the rest Tennessee. Kind of surprising. We have a couple visitors that could theoretically pull the trigger this weekend.

Penn State will host more than a handful of visitors this weekend. However, two players to keep an eye on are defensive linemen Jayson Oweh and PJ Mustipher. Right now, the Nittany Lions might be the team to beat for both Oweh and Mustipher.

For Oweh, this is his second visit to Penn State this spring. However, it is his first since the Nittany Lions extended a scholarship offer to the Jersey native in late April. Since then, Ohio State and Notre Dame have offered as well.

As for Mustipher, he is arguably the top defensive tackle on Penn State’s board for this cycle. He last visited Penn State on April 8 and may announce his college decision soon. Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Tennessee are in a good spot for Mustipher as well. However, with a good visit this weekend the Nittany Lions could solidify themselves as the team to beat for the 4-star defensive tackle.

I hope those 88% crystal balls make an A--$--$ out of all of them.

Can't get everybody. We're getting good players, so I'm not concerned. Picking between 4-stars is splitting hairs most of the time anyhow. You know we've come a long way when we start complaining about which 4-star guys we'll be getting.

Here is exactly why I don't get caught up in "The Recruiting National Championship", or if Ohio State passed us, etc. The goal is to get great football players, not "get great football players who are also highly ranked". I've heard from someone who would know who says OSU has as a goal to win the recruiting national championship, have a high average star rating, etc. That plays a part in their decision making. For Penn State and Franklin, they take in the info along with everything else, but it isn't going to be a decision point.

Anyway, these 3 star composite ranked verbals are "dragging down" our recruiting ranking, but look at the offers these guys have. Don't lose sight of the goal. Winning football games, not highest average recruiting ranking.

3 star Jesse Luketa - offers from Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Stanford, etc.
3 star Antwan Reed - offers from Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Nebraska, Tennessee, etc
3 star Trent Gordon - offers from Florida, LSU, Michigan, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas A&M, UCLA
3 star Isaiah Humphries - Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oregon, etc.

I just realized that Alabama only has 2 commits so far in its 2018 class after they had a decommit last night.

Just shows you when you build a powerhouse, you get to hold out on accepting commits from your not top choice recruits that are still on your board. Alabama tends to always be in the final 5, 10, etc. for all the top rated recruits in the nation. They are in an ideal situation where they can wait until the late fall and build their top 5 class in under a month or two with top prospects from around the country. If they don't land that top 3 ranked DE in the country when he announces in December, they will still be able to accept the commitment of a top 6 or 7 ranked DE shortly after in late December, that they will not accept the commitment of now in the spring.

Reactions: LionJim and TheGLOV
BY GREG PICKEL

gpickel@pennlive.com

Penn State's football program will have a busy penultimate weekend in May.

The Lions will welcome recruits to campus for unofficial visits while also attending the baseball team's Saturday morning meeting with Nebraska. Head coach Rob Cooper's team closes out the 2017 regular season with a three game series against Nebraska.

James Franklin and his crew will be at Medlar Field at Lubrano Park for an autograph session at 10 a.m. Saturday before first pitch at 11. The Big Ten trophy will also be on hand for photo opportunities. Single-game ticket info is here.

As for the recruits, Penn State will host:

• Four-star Owing Mills, Md., DT P.J. Mustipher (per Blue-White Illustrated)
  • Four-star Warner Robins, Ga., OT Christian Armstrong
  • Three-star Blair, N.J., DE Jayson Oweh
  • Three-star Fairburn, Ga., CB Telly Plummer
The list is likely to include others. It's going to be a small but talented group, and that's a benefit, as the staff will be able to spend plenty of time with some elite talent and their families.

As for whether or not the Lions will earn commitment No. 14 or beyond in the recruiting Class of 2018 this weekend, the answer to that appears to be no; Oweh was possibly in the running earlier in the week, but offers from Ohio State and Notre Dame, among many others, have seemingly slowed his recruitment down after PSU seemed to be at the top (where they still are) following his March visit to campus.

Here is exactly why I don't get caught up in "The Recruiting National Championship", or if Ohio State passed us, etc. The goal is to get great football players, not "get great football players who are also highly ranked". I've heard from someone who would know who says OSU has as a goal to win the recruiting national championship, have a high average star rating, etc. That plays a part in their decision making. For Penn State and Franklin, they take in the info along with everything else, but it isn't going to be a decision point.

Anyway, these 3 star composite ranked verbals are "dragging down" our recruiting ranking, but look at the offers these guys have. Don't lose sight of the goal. Winning football games, not highest average recruiting ranking.

3 star Jesse Luketa - offers from Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Stanford, etc.
3 star Antwan Reed - offers from Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Nebraska, Tennessee, etc
3 star Trent Gordon - offers from Florida, LSU, Michigan, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas A&M, UCLA
You really think Urby takes kids with more "stars" over kids he thinks are better football players?

Whomever told you that? If they actually believe that? May want to keep that in mind next time they share some "inside dope" with you. :)

You really think Urby takes kids with more "stars" over kids he thinks are better football players?

Whomever told you that? If they actually believe that? May want to keep that in mind next time they share some "inside dope" with you. :)

Agree 100%. If Urban wants to "win" the recruiting battle, its only because he believes there is a direct correlation between winning the recruiting rankings and winning actual games. His record at OSU would seem to support his premise.

Reactions: hagberg and bjf1991
Moorhead and Gattis are visiting Fields's high school today. They'll also take in Fields's spring game today. Those two coaches also visited Fields on May 9. All per Sean Fitz.

Agree 100%. If Urban wants to "win" the recruiting battle, its only because he believes there is a direct correlation between winning the recruiting rankings and winning actual games. His record at OSU would seem to support his premise.
Just as a "for instance", I recall Urby recruiting a low ranked PA kid a couple years back (though I am sure he could have gone after any number of 4/5 star kids)

I expect it wasn't due to any desire to place "recruiting titles" over good players.
I think that kid ended up leaving early as a first round NFL pick - - - so he probably had a pretty good idea the kid could play :)

Moorhead and Gattis are visiting Fields's high school today. They'll also take in Fields's spring game today. Those two coaches also visited Fields on May 9. All per Sean Fitz.

Lotta trips down to Georgia in a short period of time for a kid that's commited to us.. god I want this kid in blue and white.

I just realized that Alabama only has 2 commits so far in its 2018 class after they had a decommit last night.

Just shows you when you build a powerhouse, you get to hold out on accepting commits from your not top choice recruits that are still on your board. Alabama tends to always be in the final 5, 10, etc. for all the top rated recruits in the nation. They are in an ideal situation where they can wait until the late fall and build their top 5 class in under a month or two with top prospects from around the country. If they don't land that top 3 ranked DE in the country when he announces in December, they will still be able to accept the commitment of a top 6 or 7 ranked DE shortly after in late December, that they will not accept the commitment of now in the spring.

bama is becoming pitt.

As a rule, a lot more goes into the top program offers than the recruiting services' stars. But the whole thing is complicated and in the end I'm with you. Between top program interest/investment and recruiting service hype, I watch the programs. And as for tOSU and their aspirations of a "recruiting national championship,"Florida fans had legit complaints about what seemed to be CUM's outsourcing of talent evaluation to Rivals and TOS.

Hey, take the paper championships if they're offered, but the job is getting enough of the right players and winning games.

Just as a "for instance", I recall Urby recruiting a low ranked PA kid a couple years back (though I am sure he could have gone after any number of 4/5 star kids)

I expect it wasn't due to any desire to place "recruiting titles" over good players.
I think that kid ended up leaving early as a first round NFL pick - - - so he probably had a pretty good idea the kid could play :)

Yep! He nailed that read!!! Can't deny it.

If the baseball team could win just one game this year...

Wonder how the weather is out there.

Justin King is the third-highest rated prospect in program history to sign with the Nittany Lions since the advent of recruiting rankings, according to 247Sports. He earned his undergraduate degree in Letters, Arts, and Sciences in just two and a half years, so King knows all about making the most of the student-athlete experience. He’ll be a great addition to Penn State’s recruiting efforts, especially in Western Pennsylvania.

Reactions: Indian rocks rich
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT