ADVERTISEMENT

2021 PSU WSOC Thread (delayed 2020 season)

FWIW, my posts about the soccer players from Pennsylvania are for two reasons:
  1. To give recognition to PA kids that I feel have a shot at playing soccer at the next level. Most would not be on Penn State WSOC radar screen. There are other DI schools in the state & elsewhere however that might be interested in recruiting these players.
  2. Coach Dambach has stated as a recruiting goal of hers, that she likes to "bring the top Pennsylvania talent to Penn State." Madison Shumate is most likely the top girls player in the state for the 2024 class. She's already a 3 star and she will most likely earn a 4th. star over the next couple of years and PSU most likely is watching her progress. She most likely will end up at a P5 school.
Julia Raich is a 3 star PSU signee from Camp Hill, PA and will join the team this summer. The four 2024 prospects I posted about here are all 3 star recruits and any one of them could end up at Penn State. But, I mostly am just shining some light on some talented players that are deserving of the mention.

Last edited:
While WSOC spring season came to an end yesterday; in 3 short months training camp will start in August, leading up to Penn State's first game in August. :)

My thoughts on the game yesterday are that Florida State clearly had the better team. And the final score could have been about 6-1 instead of just 3-1. But that gets into the area of coulda, woulda, shoulda. The foul that was called on think it was Maddie Myers (not a good player IMO) of Penn State was a questionable call.

Over the years I have seen literally hundreds or more plays that were far more egregious than that play and no foul was called. Have seen where Penn State players have been absolutely mugged in the box and again nothing called. That call and subsequent goal on the penalty kick took the fight out of the team. Down 2-1 you still have a shot to tie the match and maybe get the game into overtime or even penalty kicks. But a 3-1 score against a good team...that was the final dagger.

Surprised that no one here mentioned the excessive heat (is why there were several hydration breaks taken) playing a role in the game. Florida State is of course located in Tallahassee and I am sure that they are used to training & practicing in hot weather. Their coach no doubt had them out running sprints in the Florida heat to prepare for the tournament. The heat clearly bothered the Penn State players as they could not match the pace that the Seminoles players were playing at.

Last edited:
I've seen her play quite a few times. She's a very good player. Probably a level below elite, but I would not be surprised if she moved into the elite category.

I've seen her play quite a few times. She's good, perhaps even very good. I don't think she's elite, but she's quite good.

Another players that I've seen play quite a few times. She's good ... I'd be surprised if she was ever USWNT camp level.

FWIW, I saw all three play this past weekend. They are all good ECNL players. I think Madison has the highest ceiling, but each of them are only sophs in HS. I hesitate to make a definitive statement about any player at that age, as a lot can change in a year or so due to growth spurts, etc.
Tom, the four recruits that I posted about are all freshmen in high school...not sophomores.

As I posted previously, I feel that Penn State WSOC is on the verge of becoming a super elite program. So, like North Carolina, Stanford and Florida State...a team that could challenge for a berth in the College Cup (Final 4) virtually every season. They are not there yet; but are close to attaining to that 'super elite' level.

There is perhaps not as big a gap between the 'super elite' and just 'elite' programs. Stanford is a good example of what I mean: In 2019, with Catarina Macario the Cardinal won the national championship. Macario decided to turn pro and play professional soccer in Europe. She is also a member now of the USWNT. Without Macario, the Stanford wsoc team went just 5-4-1 in PAC-12 play and just 6-6-1 overall. They finished in fourth place in the conference. That dramatic decline happened in just ONE season and primarily because just ONE player left school early to turn pro.

WSOC has been an elite program going back to the early 90's. A team that has finished in the Top 15 consistently every year up until today. Some years a Top 10 team or higher and of course back in 2015 they won a national title. But there is nothing wrong with wanting more.

Dean Linke, the broadcaster of the game yesterday was talking about how Sam Coffey, Kerry Abello and Frankie Tagliaferri all were coming back in the fall for a 5th. year at Penn State. He was going on about how the team would be "loaded" and said that in the fall Penn State would be on a level that Florida State is on now. I respect Linke's opinion. He is super knowledgeable about the game of soccer. I also agree with his assessment of the PSU WSOC program and its bright future and have written about the programs bright future on here.

So, the question becomes: How does Penn State WSOC go from an 'elite' team to a 'super elite' team? Or go from a Top 15 team most years to a Top 4 team most years. Or from a team that makes the NCAA 3rd. round most years (8 of last 10 seasons) to a team that qualifies for the College Cup (Final 4 teams) most years? IMHO, below are listed some things that could help make that final jump to 'super elite' status:

• The return of Kate Wiesner back in the starting lineup. Coach Dambach has called Wiesner "a world class player." Wiesner was of course a
    5stars.png
    and #1 recruit in the country for the 2019 class. Wiesner hasn't played in over 18 months. Her last game was back in early October of 2019. It appeared in practices that she was ok to play again. But she has missed the entire season. It doesn't typically take that long for a torn ACL injury to heal. In her absence, Ellie Wheeler a forward, had to switch positions and play the left back position. She did a commendable job but safe to say did not play at the same level that Wiesner would have played at. So, get a healthy Kate Wiesner back in the lineup and the team would instantly be much better.
  • Mieke Schiemann a 5'-9" Defender from Germany has signed with the team and is supposed to arrive in Happy Valley later this summer. Dambach stated that Schiemann is one of the top European players at her age group. European, not just top German player for her age, but all of Europe. So, think 'world class.' She has played professional soccer for one of Germany's top pro teams the 1. FFC Turbine Potsdam club which is in the Frauen Bundesliga League - the top women's professional soccer league in Germany. And she played at that level as a teemager. Schiemann, providing she joins the team and is healthy, will start from game one. This and having Wiesner back will free up Kerry Abello to join the offensive attack again at the left winger position, which she played in both the 2018 & 2019 seasons. So, Abello would take back her winger position that Rachel Wasserman has been playing. Would you rather have Wasserman playing there or Kerry Abello, an NWSL draft selection?
  • Have a non-conference schedule again. Due to Covid-19, the B1G Conference went to a conference only schedule for the spring season. That really hurt Penn State in that they couldn't play against teams such as Stanford, West Virginia, Virginia, Oklahoma State, etc. to get ready for the season. The team would have been much better prepared to play a team like Florida State...had they been able to play a non-conference schedule this spring season.
  • The roster is 'bloated' for one reason or another. The roster needs to be trimmed down. Florida State has only 18 players on their current roster. PSU has 25 players. NCAA rules only allow for 14 full scholarships in women's Division I soccer. The head coach can divide up those 14 scholarships amongst her players as he or she sees fit. Much easier to keep say 18-20 roster players happy than to keep 25 players happy. If the 24 returning players (minus Kristin Schnurr) all stay with the team and with 6 more freshmen joining the squad this summer, that would make a roster of 30 players. Elite players are not going to play for Penn State, Florida State or any school and receive only a partial or worse yet NO scholarship money. It's not going to happen. The elite players are going to want/insist on a full-ride scholarship. This creates a conundrum: How to have a 'super elite' team when you have such a limited number of scholarships to go around? How can you recruit and bring in top talent when you can only offer them at most a half scholarship or less? One way is to get rid of the roster bloat. There's a certain 2 star player on the team that has actually started several games this season due to injuries. She cannot play at this level. Another 'starter' has so many bad passes this season to last a whole college career. And she is slow and makes bad decisions. There's s certain former
    5stars.png
    player on the team that has just not worked out. She has been consistently overweight and out of shape. There are a few others that should be encouraged to transfer out also to a school/level that they are better suited to play at. If I'm coach, I'd limit my scholarship roster to 18 - 20 players and to where all are good enough to be starters for PSU. For practice/scrimmage purposes I'd go with preferred walk-ons & walk-ons. Players that know they are not getting a penny of scholarship money; but they love the game and would cherish the opportunity of playing for an elite program such as Penn State WSOC.
  • Proactively make use of the transfer portal to bring in 4 star talent. In 2021 there have been several 4 star players that have made lateral transfers from one P5 school to another P5 school. Yes, Penn State got Sam Coffey through the portal, BUT that was a one-off event and you don't see WSOC using the transfer portal as a recruiting strategy. That should change. When your brand is PENN STATE and more specifically Penn State WSOC, and there are 4 star players in the portal, many of whom could elevate your team, then you should proactively recruit them, ensuring of course that they would fit the '3 pillars' culture of the Penn State WSOC program.
  • WSOC has occasionally brought signed International players. In recent years: Raquel Rodriguez from Costa Rica, Grace Fisk from England, Laura Freigang from Germany, Kim Dubs from Switzerland, Eva Alonso from Spain and Mieke Schiemann from Germany. Would like to see more top tier International players brought in annually. And program needs to do whatever is necessary to keep these Internationals content so that they don't leave the program after one or two seasons.
  • Recruit bigger players. PSU's 5'-4 and 5'-5 players get bullied on the pitch too often by 5'-9 and 5'-10 players. So recruit more size. Squad currently has three roster players in the 5'-2 & 5'-3 height range. Sure they have talent, but talent that can be negated to a large degree by much larger opponents manhandling (womanhandling?) them on the pitch.
IMHO, all of the above and more needs to be done moving forward to avoid the embarrassing performances by the squad back in 2019 to Stanford and this season to Florida State and to attain to that 'super elite' status. Coach has stated that their goals every year are to win the B1G regular season title, the B1G Tournament title and a national title. The WSOC program at Penn State is not there yet, but they are on the verge.

Last edited:
Tom, the four recruits that I posted about are all freshmen in high school...not sophomores.
oops, my bad. I'll correct my post. It really does get confusing, as the clubs usually refer to teams by the year they were born, the referees and leagues refer to them by the age they can not exceed at the time, and colleges and recruiting sites refer to them by their college recruiting class. I'll use Madison Shumate, as she was mentioned above, as an example.

For her club, she plays for the Penn Fusion ECNL 2005 team.

For ECNL, she plays in the ECNL Girls North Atlantic Conference, GU16 (for Girls U-16).

To the refs, she's on a U-16 team.

And to college coaches and to recruiting sites, she's a 2024 prospect.

And these names/ages/years get used interchangeably around the field. If you don't know the players personally (and thus what year they are in high school), it really does get confusing trying to keep straight where they are in the recruiting process.

Reactions: hlstone
oops, my bad. I'll correct my post. It really does get confusing, as the clubs usually refer to teams by the year they were born, the referees and leagues refer to them by the age they can not exceed at the time, and colleges and recruiting sites refer to them by their college recruiting class. I'll use Madison Shumate, as she was mentioned above, as an example.

For her club, she plays for the Penn Fusion ECNL 2005 team.

For ECNL, she plays in the ECNL Girls North Atlantic Conference, GU16 (for Girls U-16).

To the refs, she's on a U-16 team.

And to college coaches and to recruiting sites, she's a 2024 prospect.

And these names/ages/years get used interchangeably around the field. If you don't know the players personally (and thus what year they are in high school), it really does get confusing trying to keep straight where they are in the recruiting process.
Video of Madison Shumate:

amelia-white-usa.jpg

Amelia White - 5'-5" F Class of 2022 | Fort Wayne FC | Homestead H.S., Fort Wayne, IN
4stars.png
rating with TDS and #4 player in the nation. Has rostered with the U-15 and U-17 USWNT. YouTube video about White's career:

U15-USWNT.jpg

Jilly Shimkin #11 PSU freshman & Amelia White #10 PSU Class of '22 commit pictured with the U-15 USWNT in 2019.

Note: The 2022 Penn St. WSOC recruiting class is currently rated the #4 class in the country.

mackenzie-gress-closeup.jpg

Mackenzie Gress - 5'-9" GK Class of 2022 | STA Soccer| Lyndhurst H.S., Lyndhurst, NJ
4stars.png
Rated the #1 recruit in New Jersey and the #18 recruit in the nation. Rostered with the U-16 USWNT.
mackenzie-gress-ation.jpg

Reactions: hlstone and TheGLOV
luciana-latino.jpg

Luciana Latino - 5'-8" MF Class of 2022 | PDA (ECNL) | Old Tappan H.S., Norwood, NJ
4stars.png
Rated the #2 player in New Jersey and the #37 player in the nation. A member of the U-18-U-19 USWNT virtual camp, along with fellow PSU Class of 2022 classmates Mackenzie Gress, Alivia Uribe and Molly Martin.
psu-recruits.jpg

Pictured are some current PSU WSOC players, some future PSU players and one decommit. Front row L. to R.: Addison Chester, Jilly Shimkin, Natalie Wilson. Back row L. to R.: Ellie Wheeler, Elle Kershner, Luciana Latino, Molly Martin, Olivia Damico, Katelyn MacBean, Amelia White and Mackenzie Gress.

A question about the German gal, Schiemann. How is she eligible to play NCAA ball if she's been playing pro ball for Potsdam? Also it's fun to note that the last gal, Gress, went to my late father's HS in Joisey.

Picture of Schiemann from Potsdam's website....
5_schiemann-1.jpg

A question about the German gal, Schiemann. How is she eligible to play NCAA ball if she's been playing pro ball for Potsdam? Also it's fun to note that the last gal, Gress, went to my late father's HS in Joisey.

Picture of Schiemann from Potsdam's website....
5_schiemann-1.jpg
I asked myself the same thing. Occam’s Razor says that the rules have changed.

I did look her up--while she appears to be on Potsdam's first team roster, she's been playing for their second team this season, which is amateur.

Reactions: LionJim
olivia-borgen-closeup.jpg

Olivia Borgen - 5'-7" MF Class of 2022 | South Shore Select SC (Elite) | Whitman - Hanson H.S., Hanson, MA
4stars.png
Rated the #6 player in the Northeast & the #151 player in the nation.
olivia-borgen-full.jpg

Per NCAA rules: International players are allowed to get paid for room & board and basic living expenses. Also, I think another $500. per month above that.

This is all taken care of MONTHS in advance. There is a TON of paperwork involved. There are *agencies* that help to facilitate connecting up International soccer players with U.S. colleges. Has been done for many years. Trust me schools all over the U.S. bring in International professional players each year. I'm guessing ALL of the recent International players that Penn State has brought aboard in recent years were professional.

Coach Dambach and Penn State would never do anything recruiting wise that was not 100% by the book and with the NCAA writing off on it. ALL these personnel matters have to be run past the NCAA. Like Kristin Schnurr for example being approved for a 6th. year of eligibility...she didn't just show up and say hey coach I'd like to play another year...the NCAA has to review the matter and then they either approve or they don't approve it. Same with the International players. Now, if a player made say several thousands of dollars to play soccer then they would not be approved by the NCAA.

And Schiemann played at the top level for 1. FFC Turbine Potsdam, but believe what you want to believe. LOL And she is 100% signed, sealed and soon this summer to be delivered to Happy Valley via Berlin, Germany. Just hope she stays the whole 4 years. Freigang only stayed 2 years and Dubs only 1 year.

Per NCAA rules: International players are allowed to get paid for room & board and basic living expenses. Also, I think another $500. per month above that.

This is all taken care of MONTHS in advance. There is a TON of paperwork involved. There are *agencies* that help to facilitate connecting up International soccer players with U.S. colleges. Has been done for many years. Trust me schools all over the U.S. bring in International professional players each year. I'm guessing ALL of the recent International players that Penn State has brought aboard in recent years were professional.

Coach Dambach and Penn State would never do anything recruiting wise that was not 100% by the book and with the NCAA writing off on it. ALL these personnel matters have to be run past the NCAA. Like Kristin Schnurr for example being approved for a 6th. year of eligibility...she didn't just show up and say hey coach I'd like to play another year...the NCAA has to review the matter and then they either approve or they don't approve it. Same with the International players. Now, if a player made say several thousands of dollars to play soccer then they would not be approved by the NCAA.

And Schiemann played at the top level for 1. FFC Turbine Potsdam, but believe what you want to believe. LOL And she is 100% signed, sealed and soon this summer to be delivered to Happy Valley via Berlin, Germany. Just hope she stays the whole 4 years. Freigang only stayed 2 years and Dubs only 1 year.
Kicker (Germany's top sports magazine) does not list her has having played for the first team, at all, though she is listed on the roster.

There was no accusation implied or intended of the PSU program. I was just puzzled how this worked.

FWIW, according to www.statista.com there are 11.41 Million outdoor soccer participants in the United States. There are 5.23 Million indoor participants in the United States. Of course that is counting professional players - male & female, college (all the various levels & associations) players - male & female, high school male and femaile and so on down to kids in grade school or younger.

As of 2019, there were 459,077 boys participants in high school in the United States. As of 2019, there were 394,105 girls participants in high school in the United States. These numbers have grown some since then. I have heard there are now over 450.000 high school aged female soccer players in the U.S. Most U.S. high schools are on the grades 9-12 model. Rounding down the above number to just 400,000 girl soccer players in high school and then dividing by 4, you get 100,000 girls soccer players graduating every graduating class.

I bring this up because some uninformed people think that if a soccer recruit is not in the Top 100 players in their graduating class, that they aren't any good. I spoke with an acquaintance the other day, and that is basically what he thinks. That if a recruit (male or female) is not in the Top 100 or so players, that they can't play.

First off, rankings of teams or players is all highly subjective. It's just people's opinions. And virtually all people have their biases and prejudices whether they realize it or not and whether they would admit it or not. So, a player that I posted about in a previous post is rated the #151 player in the country. To some, that is not very high. She is a
4stars.png
player according to TDS. That is their subjective opinion on where she ranks for her graduating class. Various recruiting services would most likely have her ranked either higher or lower than that.

Also, it is splitting hairs when it comes to what player gets ranked where. You could have 20-30 maybe even more players that are virtually dead even in their athletic skills for their sport. So, it becomes a lot of guess work and just plugging in a player in at a given number. Using the player ranked at #151 above and based on a rounded off number of 100,000 girls high school senior soccer players, that player comes out to being in the top 0.00151% of those 100K graduating female soccer players for her graduating class! So, while some think that #151 is not all that great...said player is an elite soccer player. She is a
4stars.png
recruit. She has played club soccer & high school soccer. She has a blue collar work ethic and has a 4.0 GPA. And she will be getting coached by one of the top college soccer coaching staffs in the country, with some of the finest facilities in the country. She's going to help PSU WSOC win a lot of games during her time at Penn State and get a great education while doing so. But according to this acquaintance, in his words: "She must not be very good." Good grief. :rolleyes:

Was just on the Top Drawer Soccer site and they explain their use of star ratings and then how they try to rank players within each star level. They say basically what I posted above, namely that "we are more confident in a player's star rating, than we are in where players are ranked within that star rating. " So, they are more confident in a player being a 4 star talent, but when it comes to saying that one 4 star player is #50 in the country, while another 4 star player is #75...that it gets very subjective and you are basically splitting hairs as to where to rank players. Sam Coffey, was rated a 4 star recruit back in the 2017 class by TDS; but many would tell you that she has out performed players that back in 2017 where rated as 5 star players.

Last edited:
Kicker (Germany's top sports magazine) does not list her has having played for the first team, at all, though she is listed on the roster.

There was no accusation implied or intended of the PSU program. I was just puzzled how this worked.
Coach Dambach has referred to Mieke Schiemann as one of the top players at her age in all of Europe, so not just Germany which would be very impressive of and by itself, but in all of Europe. Take any given recruit (for any sport really) and take say 10 different publications and usually you will find discrepancies about everything from their height, their age, what their birth date is, whether they started or not, how many goals they scored or not and on and on. I don't care what the publication says, The 1. FFC Turbine Potsdam futbol team is the best pro team in the Frauen Bundesliga League and she has played for the team AS A TEENAGER.

Coach Dambach has referred to Mieke Schiemann as one of the top players at her age in all of Europe, so not just Germany which would be very impressive of and by itself, but in all of Europe. Take any given recruit (for any sport really) and take say 10 different publications and usually you will find discrepancies about everything from their height, their age, what their birth date is, whether they started or not, how many goals they scored or not and on and on. I don't care what the publication says, The 1. FFC Turbine Potsdam futbol team is the best pro team in the Frauen Bundesliga League and she has played for the team AS A TEENAGER.
Repectfully, you do not know what you are talking about in regard to Kicker. It is the publication of record for German soccer. I'll also note that Potsdam's own website does not mention anything about playing for the first team either. Yes, she is on the roster. But she has played for their second team, which is in the 2nd Women's Bundesliga this year. That's often how players are rostered in German soccer. American Joe Scally, for example, is on the first team roster for Gladbach--has been since he transferred from NYCFC. But he's only played for their second team, in the Regionalliga West (4th division). That's often how players get their start in Germany. It's a somewhat different system than US sports.

Edit: here is her statistics direct from the DFB's own website. No first team games.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Olivia Moultrie the 15 year old soccer player extraordinaire is suing the NWSL. For the soccer challenged, Moultrie committed to play soccer for North Carolina when she was 13 years old. She got tagged as a professional athlete however back in 2019 when she signed a deal with Nike. She was only 13 at the time.

Moultrie is rated a 5 star recruit by TDS and the #1 player for the 2024 recruiting class. For the past two years she has been training with the Portland Thorns of the NWSL. Well, the Thorns think she is ready to play in the NWSL now. But the NWSL has nixed the deal. For more on the continuing saga of Olivia Moultrie go here.

Repectfully, you do not know what you are talking about in regard to Kicker. It is the publication of record for German soccer. I'll also note that Potsdam's own website does not mention anything about playing for the first team either. Yes, she is on the roster. But she has played for their second team, which is in the 2nd Women's Bundesliga this year. That's often how players are rostered in German soccer. American Joe Scally, for example, is on the first team roster for Gladbach--has been since he transferred from NYCFC. But he's only played for their second team, in the Regionalliga West (4th division). That's often how players get their start in Germany. It's a somewhat different system than US sports.

Edit: here is her statistics direct from the DFB's own website. No first team games.
LOL, ok thanks troll.

molly-martin-closeup.jpg

Molly Martin - 5'-4" D Class of 2022 | FC Stars of Massachusetts (ECNL) | Acton, MA
4stars.png
Rated the #78 player in the nation by TDS. Member of the U-18-U-19 USWNT virtual camp. Has rostered at the various USYNT age groups.
molly-martin-full.jpg

LOL, ok thanks troll.

hey, that's not necessary. @kgilbert78 lived in Germany for a bit, and is a big soccer fan. One of the strengths of the board is when we, collectively, learn a bit from each other. Putting other posters down is not helpful when all they're doing is clarifying what was posted, and providing some knowledge on something that not many have expertise on.

Both of you provided some value with regards to Mieke Schiemann

OK,I am done with this board. And PLEASE don't ask me to come back and post again as you have done several times over the last several months. You're upset because I pointed out your ERROR of not knowing when FOUR different recruits were sophomores or freshmen. Your explanation was PATHETIC. They are all class of 2024 recruits...they graduate in 2024. Hence they are freshmen in high school. duh. Bye sore loser.
hey, that's not necessary. @kgilbert78 lived in Germany for a bit, and is a big soccer fan. One of the strengths of the board is when we, collectively, learn a bit from each other. Putting other posters down is not helpful when all they're doing is clarifying what was posted, and providing some knowledge on something that not many have expertise on.

Both of you provided some value with regards to Mieke Schieman

• Wow
Reactions: hlstone and Ski
OK,I am done with this board. And PLEASE don't ask me to come back and post again as you have done several times over the last several months. You're upset because I pointed out your ERROR of not knowing when FOUR different recruits were sophomores or freshmen. Your explanation was PATHETIC. They are all class of 2024 recruits...they graduate in 2024. Hence they are freshmen in high school. duh. Bye sore loser.
ROTFLMAO. what a complete dickwad. don't let the door hit your &*% on the way out.

You're upset because I pointed out your ERROR of not knowing when FOUR different recruits were sophomores or freshmen. Your explanation was PATHETIC. They are all class of 2024 recruits...they graduate in 2024. Hence they are freshmen in high school. duh. Bye sore loser.

Really? I'm upset? That's news to me. I posted something, and you pointed out my mistake, and what was the correct info. I was thankful that you did, corrected my post, and posted that I had made a mistake. In fact, what took place in that exchange was exactly what I was referencing in my latest post (about the exchange between you and @kgilbert78) -- "One of the strengths of the board is when we, collectively, learn a bit from each other. Putting other posters down is not helpful when all they're doing is clarifying what was posted, and providing some knowledge on something that not many have expertise on."

My explanation was pathetic? That's news to me. I've had discussions with ECNL coaches, with parents, and with players, and they all have indicated that the way the teams, the league, and college recruiting sites designate the players is very confusing.

A sore loser -- you really don't know me. I'm the complete opposite of a sore loser

OK,I am done with this board. And PLEASE don't ask me to come back and post again as you have done several times over the last several months.

Again, you seem to misunderstand the context. When folks disappear from the board, and they've provided some good info to the board, if another poster asks about them, I often do say something along the lines that I hope they'll return. And once you get over this hissy fit, or whatever it is you want to call it, I do hope that you'll continue to post about PSU women's soccer.

Really? I'm upset? That's news to me. I posted something, and you pointed out my mistake, and what was the correct info. I was thankful that you did, corrected my post, and posted that I had made a mistake. In fact, what took place in that exchange was exactly what I was referencing in latest post (about the exchange between you and @kgilbert78) -- "One of the strengths of the board is when we, collectively, learn a bit from each other. Putting other posters down is not helpful when all they're doing is clarifying what was posted, and providing some knowledge on something that not many have expertise on."

My explanation was pathetic? That's news to me. I've had discussions with ECNL coaches, with parents, and with players, and they all have indicated that the way the teams, the league, and college recruiting sites designate the players is very confusing.

A sore loser -- you really don't know me. I'm the complete opposite of a sore loser

Again, you seem to misunderstand the context. When folks disappear from the board, and they've provided some good info to the board, if another poster asks about them, I often do say something along the lines that I hope they'll return. And once you get over this hissy fit, or whatever it is you want to call it, I do hope that you'll continue to post about PSU women's soccer.

You rock Tom!

I enjoyed the information that guy shared with the board. But man, that was weird. 🤪

Reactions: LionJim and TheGLOV
And Tom, I apologize if I was a bit touchy with the poster. I was trying to be respectful, but....
Not Tom, but I don’t see what you had to apologize for.

As @hlstone said, that was weird. It’s not often that you see such an informed poster have such issues with reading comprehension. I try to be charitable, but I don’t know what else to say.

And Tom, I apologize if I was a bit touchy with the poster. I was trying to be respectful, but....

Gilbert you rock too!

You have no need to apologize.

I have no idea why that guy went off the rails. As far from what I read, it had nothing to do with anyone’s comments from here.

As they say, the disturbance is within.

Reactions: TheGLOV and LionJim
Not sure it is the case here, but with players getting the extra Covid year, many of them will have completed their degrees and they may want to transfer to work on a Master's degree from a different school than the one they got their Bachelor's degree from.
That's often required in some disciplines... Like Chemistry, unless you had a really, really good undergrad research project.

I have absolutely no info as to why Tagliaferri decided to transfer to Rutgers. I would note, as discussed earlier in this thread, that Tagliaferri played her club ball for PDA (Players Development Academy), and their director of coaching is Mike O'Neill, who is also the head coach of Rutger's women's soccer program.

PSU WSOC has a lot of talent on their roster. That said, Tagliaferri was a United Soccer Coaches All-American, was the Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week two times this past season, and if I recall correctly, her 10 goals and 9 assists were the best in the B1G this past season. In short, she's not an easy piece to replace.

Perhaps some help to overcome the loss of Tagliaferri. I saw Jill Jennings play for her club team, Match Fit Academy, when she was in HS, and she was very good. She's been a starter at BC for 4 years, and was their captain this past season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT